Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heather Papps

hello friend

notes on swarm bee-haviour
if you see a swarm those are almost certainly free bees. normally keepers will nucleate hives to produce new ones intentionally. when i was learning beekeeping in saskatchewan there was a yard that was forgotten and when we discovered it was full of hives we found this:

swarms are a sign of excellent hive health and if you see one the bees in your locale are doing well, which is very nice. also, i guess if you want you could do the bee beard thing this way?

my X year plan was to get to north ontario and start getting hives running, but covid situation has kind of jumbled up plans. my dad is bringing me my hives/frames though, and i've been reaching out to local keepers/associations. bees aren't cheap tho! i should put up signs around town with my cell number for swarm collection - finding one would save me like 200-300 dollars.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is the money in beekeeping from producing/harvesting honey or I have read beekeepers get paid to bring their hives to farms to help pollination or a little of both?

it depends on the size of your apiary, really. if you're a large scale producer you will focus on honey production and that's basically it. yards will be set up in farmers fields but the traveling crop pollination/royal jelly/pollen/propolis collection would be a way for a smaller scale apiary to pay bills.

my beekeeping mentor had maybe 40 yards with usually around 80 hives per yard, but it was the second largest operation in the province i think?

this is us picking up hives to winter in the honey house.

also, honey house is the term for the place you extract/store stuff, but holy smokes it's kind of a gross name.

Heather Papps

hello friend

i have never been stung by a bumblebee but they are SO BIG i assume it would hurt more then a honeybee

Heather Papps

hello friend

Prurient Squid posted:

Also bees can see into the ultraviolet spectrum and know a colour called Bee's Purples which lets them navigate flowering plants.

i have some ideas about marking hives with glow in the dark paint or uv reactive stuff as a way to reduce hive drift but i'm not sure it'd be possible for me to actually tell if it works or not but it's interesting to consider

Heather Papps

hello friend

kuskus posted:

Spot the queen. From 5/13:

thank you very much for not paint marking your queen! i understand why folk do it but i hate it

Heather Papps

hello friend

one of my fave beebooks:

Heather Papps

hello friend

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is there a correct season to start keeping bees? Like should I spend the next 9 months learning about bees and get some next spring or can I get some bees in August too? I think I might need some bees

i don't know what a google would say, but from my experience as long as you are a few decently warm months away from frost you're okay. ideally a new hive would be set out in the spring but i've nucleated hives late summer/early fall and they've been very established come winter.

you may have to feed a bit more actively but it really depends on your hardiness zone when the last call for a packet of bees would beeeeeee

Heather Papps

hello friend

nut that was beautiful. a few years ago i did a weird radio interview with a goon about bees symbolic language and one of the questions he asked was if there was deception, and it really kind of shook me.

we humans live our walled off lives as singular entities. we do want to get one over on the other person, to survive and thrive at the expense of others. it's in our bones. we look at the hive and wonder what it would like to be but one bee, and mourn the queens we kill, but the hive is so utterly alien to our existence it's impossible to really grasp.

also this reads like the bee's original sin. wanna read the 1000 year in the future of these beeeeeeees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

The Voice of Labor posted:

I had to help a honeybee get its foot off some duct tape adhesive. dude took off while I was whipping him up a little cup of sugar water so I guess he was no worse for wear. still only like the second honeybee I've seen this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ajd3PL-rNM

a super cute thing is if a bee gets stuck in propolis because the temp changes drastically other bees will slowly chew them free. it's very sweet to watch.