Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Crosspeice posted:

With the Pokemon move Waterfall, a Pokemon can climb a waterfall! ...there is not move called Mountainfall.

Oh that's a good line. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 27: Bridged the Gap

Sup, since I did some save editing again like I do every now and then, I changed some things up, like the C-Gear skin again, suggested by blaziken386, as well as a couple other things.

Touko was even kind enough to give her legendaries, not like she'll need them for anything. And not like we'll need Reshiram for anything, but version exclusives dammit!

We'll Surf back through the mists to the shrine, with that "trading" done, we only have one legendary left!

Still a couple mons left but Misdreavus/Murkrow are rare version exclusives so I wasn't worried about missing them.

Now would be a good time to save.

Landorus Encounter

Eh, worth a shot. So there's three of these mons and yeah, the lack of imagination with their designs is kinda lame, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't use this monster. Sheer Force is a pretty amazing HA that it can use a lot of moves with, like Earth Power and Stone Edge, but its main claim in Ubers, because it's a monster in OU, is being a very effective sand sweeper. Sure there's a lot of weather going around, but boosting its EdgeQuake combo by 30% is a great idea.

It immediately shows off with Swords Dance and can then sweep behind a sub, it only needs 2 moves after all, or it can use its effective mixed nature to go for Focus Blast and Grass Knot. It can even be pretty cheeky and nail switch-ins with Smack Down, letting it terrorize an opponent with EQ next turn. It has a fair share of weaknesses, such as 4x Ice, which a lot of Ubers can struggle with, but it has some key immunities as well, and it has a great Spd tier that lets it get the jump on a bunch of base 100s. Great Pokemon to use, but at least there's only 3 of them!

This drat thing 2HKOs my entire team in sand or not, so it's just a free turn for me.

And since I don't fancy relearning Lick, this is the best we'll get. Still, with Dusk Balls, this is a 9% chance of capture.

"Lands visited by Landorus grant such bountiful crops that it has been hailed as 'The Guardian of the Fields.'"

Alright, not too bad tbh. I was hoping that catching all these Pokemon would result in a clutch crit catch during a legendary encounter, but that never happened. Oh well, least we're done with miserable catching for the rest of the game! Very happy about that.

And one last mon to grab before we leave. If you don't fancy them stones then you can get Ninetales and Honchkrow/Mismagius in the rustling grass.

Route 14 Summer

"It's a perfect picture!"

Oh right we were in the middle of a route or whatever.

On a bridge! A sentimental Trainer after his defeat! This is also a good, tragic picture!

Ahh, please have mercy.

If we could greet anyone in the world with "Let's have a Pokemon battle!" that would be wonderful!

We're gonna quickly head back to the entrance of Abundant Shrine as this is the only way to get to this Ace Trainer.

We haven't seen an Ace Trainer in the postgame yet, they're pretty scary! They pack fully evolved mons of all kinds and have an average level of 68 instead of the 64 we've gotten used to.

We can squeak by but PRNDL's resistances and Thunder Wave support are just so, soooooo good.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight! The more I rise up, the stronger my mind grows! That's why I thank you for each round that I lost!

Last obstacle before the end of the route. It's another scary team time!

PRNDL I love you.

With a friend, you laugh twice for happy things, and you cry half for sad ones. That is the joy of living with Pokemon.

Since we were on the water a lot, we didn't run into the last few encounters on this route. Not a big deal, we're done with other gens, but there is, gasp, one Pokemon we can get for the Unova dex!

And it took so long to show up we got the 5% encounter before it. Cool!

"It wields the fur on its arms like a whip. Its arm attacks come with such rapidity that they cannot even be seen."

Get over here! At a slightly higher chance than Bisharp on a previous route, not that I could tell, we might as grab this. Only found evolved in the dark grass, but Corazon can nigerundayo so it's not too bad. For the rustling grass... it's just Wigglytuff. Neat. Of course, this entire time you assume that Audino and even Emolga take up most of the encounters, so don't count on it.

White Forest

And so we have made it... to the last main location in the game. God this place sucks. But it also doesn't suck. I'll go over it in a minute.

But recently, I've been thinking I want to test the strength of the Pokemon I've met.

Ooh mail. So first issue this place has that you immediately notice, it can be pretty drat empty. The amount of people that are in this location depend on how quickly you get here from the start of the game. 10 people on the first day and then one leaves each day after that until you hit the minimum of one. How long ago did I start this LP...? Well it's not a big deal, you can invite people over from another game, but if you don't have another game, well you're right stuffed now aren't you.

At least the people you find here will determine what Pokemon you can catch in the grass. All at level 5, all pretty useful for filling the National Dex. There's 30 different people you can encounter and thus 30 new Pokemon to find.

What people you have here will also determine what items can occasionally be found on the ground. Otherwise this house is about all that's here.

In White Forest, people live in harmony with nature and with Pokemon. Please listen to the voice of the forest. It's saying "Bienvenue!" Ho! Hoo! Hoo! I do research into the Pokemon that live in this forest. In theory, you should find Aron living in this forest. If you see Aron in this forest, please let me know. That will be proof that Pokemon are living in this forest.

Well we can show the requested mon to that guy for a Chesto, Pecha, Leppa, Lum or Bluk Berry daily, and there's some triple battles. Let's dig in!

Hope there's lots more postgame to go, we've still got a lot of catching up to do.

Thankfully these battles aren't too bad if you focus down an enemy and the slowly pick them apart.

Hey I was using that!

But this Reuniclus doesn't seem to be very offensive, so we're mostly done here.

I'll work even harder raising my Pokemon!

You can only fight these trainers once, so savour this content in White Forest while you can.

Ah that's gonna hurt.

Still, it's the only real threat since the other two mons are pretty well covered.

There are so many things to consider, but that is part of the fun of Triple Battles!

Quite, we're about done here, but let's see if we can't find some more content... on the flipside. And by more content I mean much, muuuuuuch worse content.

Yes we're back to Black for the final time. Partly because we're out of version differences to show off after this point, and partly because going through the postgame with a low level team again sounds like my ninth circle of hell. The other eight circles are my last eight LPs, of course.

Thankfully you can get through Route 15 without fighting a Trainer pretty easily. Here's the other version.

Black City

So Black City and White Forest are mirrors of each other. Based off the same principle, invite people from one to the other to fill it up but what you can find lying on the ground for free in White Forest, you can instead buy at extortionate prices in Black City.

This is the city of dreams, greed, and more greed. And I am Black City's boss, so I'm a whirlpool of greed! This city is filled with vibrant people who are like big piles of greed. Hmm. Try defeating 10 of the people outside. Then I'll repay your greed.

And instead of catching as many Pokemon as you want to complete your Pokedex in White Forest, you can instead fight trainers for money and experience. You might be seeing which version got the raw deal here.

Though not all trainers are the same level, a good chunk are standard postgame, but some aren't exactly worth it. For every 10 you defeat, so something you can do daily if you have a maxed out city... or once every 10 days if you have a pile of garbage like me, then you'll get a fat stack of 10k dolla from the owner. Wow, as if money is really hard to come by after the Abyssal Ruins.

Still, what are AR codes if not the answer to all life's problems? Both areas look pretty nice when fully lived in, so let's see what fun Pokemon can be found.

Oh what fun, I'm not gonna catch every mon here, only 10 people appear at one time after all, but let's see how Black City stacks up.

The houses never have anything no matter the size, but it's quite the metropolis now.

Now hey, getting as much of an item as you want can be useful, but I think it's best if we did a full comparison of both locales at once.

I've made a little chart for you to show what each person offers for each place. They're ordered by their base points, which I'll go over in just a moment, and shows what item they sell in Black City, or drop in White Forest, as well as the Pokemon they'll spawn in White Forest. They'll use the fully evolved form in battle in Black City, both forms in the case of Ralts and Wurmple, and they're all a slight pain the arse to actually keep around due to the point system. From their base point amount, the entire city loses 5 per day, but gain 3 if you visit the area. You have to battle them/talk to them in each version to increase their individual points by 10. And that's it, so it's a lot of micromanaging for not much benefit honestly. So looking at both versions, we can surmise the advantages White Forest has over Black City thusly:

Not only can you catch and then obtain the mons you would see in battle in Black City, you can also just pick the item up for free. Now granted it's pretty hard to get the item you want in White Forest, but finagling the right person into your game's location is a pain regardless and that shouldn't really be a point in Black City's favour. Also its main draw, that being infinite battles, are undercut by not all the trainers being at a good level and there's a perfectly amazing infinite grinding spot in the sports courts in Nimbasa City, I mentioned how useful they'd be on the first visit. So Black City really doesn't have much point to it unless you want to buy a bunch of stones and then a bunch of shards for... well, nothing much really. Even the sellable items are way past the point of profit, obviously, and the clear advantages White Forest offers make it the superior version. But to be fair, if you don't care about the Pokedex, White Forest mostly offers gently caress all, so let's just get outta here already.

Route 15 Summer

Farewell Touko, have fun in your lovely city, let's move on to the final postgame route. Oh yeah there's also rotation battles in the big building. One guy has a Gothitelle, Krookodile and Galvantula, with the other having a Beartic, Excadrill and Heatmor. I don't want to fight them with my team because I don't want to die, and AI rotation battles suck poo poo.

mi viene tanta voglia di una lotta.

La strada percorsa non si cambia! Ma su quella da percorrere puň accadere ancora di tutto!

Lot of tourists around here, and for good reason.

Poke Transfer Lab

You came here. That means you are a visitor? Huh? No? You came all the way here? Ah, you are a Trainer? Are you in the middle of your journey? Ah, this is your Trainer Card?

Great! You may be able to... Professor Paaaaaark! Quick, quick!

Professor! Do you have a minute? I think you do. Listen! This kid is a Trainer who has all the Gym Badges. All of them! I am sure this Trainer can operate it!

I have told you many times. This invention is great indeed, but without a professional Trainer...

Fantastic! Fantastico! Yahoooooooooooooooo! What a great day! Great! Unbelievable! Hi, I am Professor Andrew Park! You! Er...

Touya!

Touya! Are you willing to participate in an ambitious experiment that will make history? This device is called Poke Transfer. It connects...blah blah blah... ...called DS system...meanwhile... ...blah blah...of molecules...and then... ...while evoking...blah blah... ...ergo, energy particles will... ...blah blah...and if the frequency... ...as you see...with faraway Pokemon... ...the Alpha waves...blah blah...following which...reach convergence... ...blah blah... spectacular results!

To put it more simply, if you use this device, you may be able to bring Pokemon here from other regions. But just for safety's sake, the Pokemon you're transferring shouldn't be holding anything! So make sure to take their items first.

You are a fantastic Pokemon Trainer! Will you participate in the great experiment of the century? You need two DS systems to use Poke Transfer!

Phew, that's a lot, but it's pretty simple. You use a Pokeball catapult minigame to bring over previous gen Pokemon, it's definitely worth it, but requiring two systems is a slight pain, I won't bother.

I used this minigame a lot back in the day, and you quickly get used to timing your shots to hit Pokemon. If you hit the bush the mon is hiding in it'll jump out in the direction it was facing so you can easily snag it, even legendary Pokemon that jump pretty quickly. While any Pokemon you don't catch in time are sent back to the Gen 4 game, all the remaining mons are put to sleep when time is low, so you should be able to grab them easily at that point. And like in HGSS, there's no daily limit, do this as many times as you want! There's two things, the Movie 13 Celebi and shiny beasts will not activate their events if brought over this way, because of course not, and the Spiky-eared Pichu is trapped in its game, never to be free.

Oh! This Pichu needs to stay where it is. It appears to have traveled through time. It has been affected by traveling so far through time with Celebi. It'll be risky to transfer it, so it's best for Pichu to stay where it is.

Route 15 Summer

Now we leave, never to return.

I would be very happy if you would trade my Rotom for your Ditto. My heart is beating so fast! OK, let's trade!

Thank you very much! Please treat my Rotom with love! I will also take care of the Ditto that you traded to me!

Ditto is easy enough to catch, so might as well do this, it's the only way to get Rotom in these games. That's it for trades! Some good ones, some bad ones, whatever. Also there's a second Pokedex skin we can get, it's the last one, what a neat feature or whatever.

I only came to the other side of the route to quickly trade, so we'll head back to the other side and go from there.

Listen. My love for my Pokemon is the best in the world. Nobody can beat it.

Hopefully the encounters here won't be as much of a pain as last route's.

Yoo-hoo, are you a Trainer?!

The Altaria was a pain because it crit the only mon I have to take it down, but the rest of the mons weren't a big deal.

I am checking to see whether Pokemon that came from other regions by Poke Transfer have escaped.

Well that was... worth it? At least this is as devious strength puzzles get in these games.

Are you lost in your journey? No... in your life? At times like that, if you fight, you'll know!

At least this isn't STAB, so Milli can somewhat tank this.

Life itself is a journey, and it's natural to get lost sometimes! Some truths you can find only when you get lost!

Have we found all the TMs yet???

Watchog is only in the dark grass at a 5% rate for some reason and somehow I found one in like 10 steps?

Last trainer on this route, so hopefully she doesn't kick my rear end.

When people try to do what they can't, they become clumsy. If they do what they can do very well, they can always be themselves!

We're done with this safari area, who knows how many mons around here are actually local. But there is one more mon left to find.

Thankfully not as hard to catch as Metang, but you can try your luck and find Tyranitar in the rustling grass, along with Gliscor and the oni twins.

Ugggggggh, fine.

Thankfully there's not many Rotation Battles in this game, cause facing the AI is never fun. Of course this is a Triple Battle in Black, same trainer, same Pokemon. Like you can see the issue, she swaps in Alomomola against Tristan. But I was swapping in Milli for Beheeyem, so she did something smart by being dumb!

It feels so random how they swap in, again using Hydro Pump on Tristan. Do they just expect me to switch??? Am I being outsmarted???

Still once one mon goes down, it's much easier to predict switches.

Now you can have Rotation Battles with your friends!

Oh hey it's another bridge.

"Swanna start to dance at dusk. The one dancing in the middle is the leader of the flock."

Feels like a long, long time ago that we caught a Ducklett on the Drawbridge.

Marvelous... and also a song!

OK! I'm going to get all fired up! Ready all Patrat! Everyone gather up!

This--the li'l Patrat with the biggest belly! It's holding a Big Mushroom! Ready, set, go!

You follow that? Well I'm never great at these, but I'm think I've got this.

You are... ... ... ... totally correct! Receive your prize, a Big Mushroom from that Patrat!

That marks the grand finale of our Patrat show! Thank you, one and all!

Ghetsis is gone. He went off somewhere alone after we rescued him from the castle.

From the day Ghetsis saved our lives, we have sworn to be loyal to him. Even now, after he ordered us not to search for him.

Also, Ghetsis said to give you this...

As well as this...

And this, also.

Ghetsis... where did he find these? What was he planning to do with them? Why did he give them to you? There's no way to know now. Is he testing you? Or... using you?

We, the Shadow Triad, have always been and will always be the loyal servants of Ghetsis. And Ghetsis's ambitions will never cease!

Never shall we meet again. Farewell!

Well that's one way to get these items since we can't trade them up. What was Ghetsis doing with these anyway? Was he collecting other regions legendary items to find ways to awaken the legendaries here? I'm sure it'll all be explained in the sequel.

Here's your chance. I will sell you the secret Pokemon Magikarp... for an unbelievable $500! How about it? Interested?

I'm a different man to when I last bought something like this, this is a great deal!

It'll take, like, one postgame Audino to evolve this thing, and you can't get Magikarp anywhere else in these games, so it's highly recommended. It also has a guaranteed 31 Speed IV!

And that's it for the bridge, crazy how much they can squeeze in such a small area.

Next time, since we're done with all the postgame areas... uh... now what?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I suppose now that we're back in the mainland, there's a few outstanding things to take care of... and the battle facility is one of them!

So at least since we're not facing a Frontier for the first time in forever, we actually only need a few submissions, three for Singles, four for Doubles. And then I'll choose one from each to use in Multi, so your mon will get two chances to shine! So let's lay down some ground rules:

Firstly, the mon can ONLY be from the Unova Dex, to highlight these mons in a competitive setting. Feel free to submit whatever, though of course Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect cannot be entered. And since we're going straight to the Super trains, serious submissions only! I would prefer if you didn't choose bad Unova mons, but maybe I could win with them... who knows.

Secondly, if you're submitting for doubles, your mon MUST have Protect, just to make my life a little easier, feel free to try other doubles strats, I should be able to squeeze through with whatever you choose.

Please submit ONE POKEMON through this format:

Pokemon (Nickname) @Item @Gender
EV Spread (252/252/4 or something specific, assume maxed IVs unless you're using HP)
Ability and Nature (Shiny?)
Move 1
Move 2
Move 3
Move 4

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 17, 2021

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

This is kind of a long shot, I don't know how good an idea this is, but I want to give the smug snake a chance to shine because I love it conceptually and the game doesn't really give it a chance to be good. (Hopefully you're able to make hidden abilities happen.) This is completely improvised, I couldn't find any competitive sets that actually looked like what I wanted, so let's hope it works okay?

Serperior (SmugSnake) @Leftovers @whocares
EVs: 252 HP/252 Speed/4 Special Attack
Contrary, Timid
Leaf Storm
Giga Drain
Twister
Glare

(Replace the move of your choice with Protect for doubles if that's where you decide to use it)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Krookodile (K. Rool)
@Choice Scarf @Male
EV Spread maxed speed/attack
Moxie
Jolly

Moves:
Earthquake
Crunch
Outrage
Stone edge

Because the best mon in the unova dex has been criminally underrepresented so far.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Hydreigon (Lernie) @Life Orb @who cares
EVs: max Speed and Special Attack
Levitate, Modest
Dark Pulse
Draco Meteor
Flamethrower
Focus Blast

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Zoroark (Don Fluffles) @Choice Specs @Male
EVs: 252/252 SpA/Speed, use the extra 4 for literally whatever
Nature: Timid
Ability: Illusion, because that's its only option!
Shiny: yes, of course
-Night Daze
-Focus Blast
-Extrasensory
-Flamethrower

its ability may be awful, but it's pretty and this is its debut game, so it deserves a little bit of the limelight, yeah?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Cinccino (Archer) @King's Rock @Male
EVs: 252 atk 252 spd 4 hp
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Skill Link :getin:
Shiny?: heck no
-Tail Slap
-Bullet Seed
-Rock Blast
-Thunder Wave OR Protect

anyone ready for unlimited flinch works?

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

For doubles:

Whimsicott (Madam Puff) @Leftovers @Female
EVs: 252/252/4 Defense/Sp.Def/HP
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: No
-Substitute
-Toxic
-Leech Seed
-Protect

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

If we get one more Doubles submission then we are done. Ahhhhhh, so refreshing compared to previous times.

snohax
May 30, 2011

Looks like you'll have at least one fire weakness on the doubles team. Let's take advantage of that :sun:

Chandelure (Lumiere) @Fire Gem @Male
EVs: 156 HP / 4 Def / 176 SpA / 172 Spe
Nature: Modest
Ability: Flash Fire
Shiny: Yes, burn brighter
-Heat Wave
-Shadow Ball
-Overheat
-Protect

Switch in on a predicted fire move and watch the world burn. Even without the Flash Fire boost, Fire Gem boosted Heat Wave will melt through teams. Overheat lets you power through an annoying threat (Flash Fire + Fire Gem will OHKO Hydreigon, and the bulk investment means all of the sets 2HKO you back) or just get out some extra damage before going down.

Speed EVs specifically beat all Mamoswine and Excadrill (without Sand Rush active) on the battle subway.

Watch out for opposing Chandelure. While you're faster than a certain special one, half the generic trainer sets outspeed you.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Black City/White Forest has always been insane to me, why on earth would you
1. make it get worse over time, at all
2. start the "gets hosed" from the moment you start the game
3. give no indication that you secretly need to be hurrying if you want to even use the stupid forest/city

Horrible system! Go to game design jail. Even in the context of "Japan has a billion people to use the wireless features with" it would still suck!

I also remember being very mad because this was the closest thing to guaranteeing getting evolution stones. You otherwise have to rely on RNG from the dirt clouds or pick up (for the gen 4 stones)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yeah, those two places were a mistake. But this is the same game development company/generation that decided it was a good idea to lock Easy Mode behind completing the game on regular difficulty.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Yeah, those two places were a mistake. But this is the same game development company/generation that decided it was a good idea to lock Easy Mode behind completing the game on regular difficulty on a separate cartridge, then transferring that key over.
I love BW2's Hard mode, but man, gently caress that decision. I'm pretty sure the keys get erased when you start a new game, which is even more of a :psyduck:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Blaziken386 posted:

I'm pretty sure the keys get erased when you start a new game, which is even more of a :psyduck:

Correct! Or I guess, more specifically, you can't start a new save without deleting the old one first, which also erases the Unova Link data. It's easily the most baffling decision I've ever seen them make, which is saying something...

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah, they expect you to pick up the difficulty choices from a friend. It’s the most rear end-backwards thing.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That's, uh, totally what I'll do.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Blaziken386 posted:

I love BW2's Hard mode, but man, gently caress that decision. I'm pretty sure the keys get erased when you start a new game, which is even more of a :psyduck:
I love Gen 5 but I'm pretty sure it has the highest concentration of :psyduck: design decisions of any generation. The BW2 difficulty modes, Black City/White Forest, Musicals, the whole Snarl thing...

And I know that overly complicated intergen transfer methods were also a thing in Gen 4(and were somehow even worse in DPt, which only let you transfer six mons every 24 hours), but I still have no idea why Gamefreak thought any of them were a good idea. It's cute maybe twice before you start resenting it and wishing you could just transfer your mons with no fuss.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Haifisch posted:

I love Gen 5 but I'm pretty sure it has the highest concentration of :psyduck: design decisions of any generation. The BW2 difficulty modes, Black City/White Forest, Musicals, the whole Snarl thing...

Yeah it's the point where the games got wild. Some of the best ideas clash with some of the worst ideas, like the evolution levels.

Haifisch posted:

And I know that overly complicated intergen transfer methods were also a thing in Gen 4(and were somehow even worse in DPt, which only let you transfer six mons every 24 hours), but I still have no idea why Gamefreak thought any of them were a good idea. It's cute maybe twice before you start resenting it and wishing you could just transfer your mons with no fuss.

I think that the logic was that you would only transfer a few favourites and never both with importing your whole collection. Also Gamefreak was and is obsessed with gimmicks for their games, they try to put them in everywhere they can. I kinda like them, as long as they are accessible for a single player, since every attempt other than just battling is complete rear end.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Haifisch posted:

The most :psyduck: feature of gen 5 is anything and everything involving the Dream World. Why the gently caress were hidden abilities tied to a website? Why were *berries* tied to a website??

As for poketransfer, I never really had a problem with it, personally! The Palpark was annoying as hell, but I never felt the need to transfer more than a single box of pokemon forward, and it doesn't wear out its welcome that fast.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 28: Round Region Roundup

Route 18 Autumn

Hi there, I'm gonna put off the scary postgame fights as much as possible, so here's some goofing around the region doing everything else we can.

There's two new fishing encounters past the Feebas part. Well, technically three, but not really.

This place has the same ocean smell as where I was born... Ghetsis wandered the lands of this world all over, collecting knowledge of all kinds while searching for like-minded people. From the moment we met, he understood what I desired. The ability to understand the minds and the needs of others... this is an ability that everyone needs to survive. My lord N is a kind and excellent person who understands the hearts of Pokemon. But, conversely, perhaps his ability to understand the hearts and feelings of people is not developed enough. But... even that was part of the perfection of Ghetsis's plan. When it comes to Ghetsis, I cannot separate the truths from the lies. See this? I received it from Ghetsis, but I no longer need it. I hope you can put it to good use.

Someday, if my lord N develops the ability to understand the feelings of people as well as Pokemon, I would like us to gather again. More than anything, I want to see N confront Ghetsis.

I am an officer of the International Police, and there are so many things you must tell me at once!

If that is what you desire...

Many thanks! Now, Ghetsis notwithstanding, there yet remains but 3 of the Seven Sages still at large. What it is they are thinking, what it may be they are hoping, this is the information I have need of. Quick and soon, say I!

Last fishing encounter, since we have a nice secluded spot. For whatever reason Chinchou can be found here at a 1% chance, I don't know why. In rippling water we can also get Kingdra and Qwilfish, and I won't go for either.

Dreamyard

Now that we're the Champion we have the power to remove CONES from the overworld, finally letting us access this area. We could've gone here first thing, but I didn't want my rear end kicked even more cause the trainers down here are a little tougher than the ones we saw on the new routes.

"Don't you think?"

Spooky stuff down here, but we're much better equipped for it all now.

No matter how much you research, Pokemon are full of new discoveries!

There's even a "fun" gimmick, the trainers will instead run away if they see you, so you need to ambush them round the corner.

You don't really think about it but it's fun that this world has such advanced technology and fantastical creatures, but also full confirmation of supernatural human abilities with espers.

We're gonna be punching a lot of tapirs.

The things we can explain with logic are half of the world... the rest, we explain with feeling! Because the world is full of wonders.

Power spots are a long way away, LP friend.

To tell you the truth, everybody has Dream Mist. 'Cause if you can make a dream come true, it's the same as having Dream Mist. Right?

I dream to be LPing White 2 already.

The Dream Mist of the Pokemon Musharna... the secret has been unlocked, but it must be a great ability.

Hell yeah, hit me with 20BP Stored Power!

Dreams slip away when they almost come true... if you don't grab important things tight, you will lose them.

"I see you, but are you a dream?"

If we went here immediately after starting the postgame, we would've needed a few trips to the center, but now we can take on these... many, many trainers in one go.

Talking about dreams, Fennel's Pokemon DW! This is some great research! Are you doing Game Sync, too?

Alright, last one, starting to feel like a Gen 1 route in here.

I don't think it's possible for Haxorus to accept a special TM, they simply cannot comprehend it.

Good thing I only record on Friday nights!

Look at these top tier postgame items.

Uh, let's ignore him for a minute.

Were you surprised? Oh, Trainer-who-destroyed-our-castle, I was quite surprised by you! If you surprise them, both Pokemon and people leave themselves open. While they're in a state of surprise, they can't use their powers like they normally would. Our intention was to surprise people by making our castle appear and showing off the legendary Pokemon... At that moment, we planned to deeply impress people's hearts with the awesome power of Team Plasma and the brilliance of our new world. Now that I've seen the strength of spirit in you and the Gym Leaders, I wonder how effective that strategy would have been, after all. Maybe that strength of spirit is what's needed to take Pokemon to the next level? Hm... I'm sorry to have wasted your time with this silly conversation. Take this with you.

My lord N's dream... you were the one who put a stop to that. Please don't ever forget that.

I am an officer of the International Police, and there are so many things you must tell me at once!

Musharna is said to appear here. Its Dream Mist makes you see dreams, but they are nothing but illusions. The dreams you realize with your own abilities are the real dreams.

Accept my thanks! Now, Ghetsis notwithstanding, there yet remains but 2 of the Seven Sages still at large. What it is they are thinking, what it may be they are hoping, this is the information I pursue. Until we meet again!

This is one of the few cases where dark grass is used for a different encounter pool, it's the only way to get postgame mons in this area.

I dunno why I'm still catching all these mons.

It's better than Awakenings I guess.

How has it taken me this long to get that image?

Hey at least I get one new Unova mon per update, we're really running out! We could've caught Musharna the first time we came to this area in the rustling grass, but you can wait for this Friday one because it has its HA! Yes it's only Telepathy and that's useless in singles, and yes that means the only HAs you can naturally get in this game are both terrible, but, uhhhhh, it's a new Pokemon!

"The mist emanating from their foreheads is packed with the dreams of people and Pokémon."

Yo that was a crit catch on a stationary encounter, so catching everything is completely justified!!! Shame it happened on the last one, but oh well.

And back up top to catch the last of the mons here, since Venomoth can only be found up here for whatever reason.

Let's have a battle! Yay! I'll show off how I trained this Pokemon!

Here's a random feature that never came back after this gen, we can battle against a past trade partner with the Pokemon we gave them! The gender and Ability is the same, so of course I had to give her a drat Own Tempo Petilil, and the level can also change. If you did the trade when you could then it would be the standard postgame level, but if you traded her a Cottonee/Petilil above 65, it would be 5 levels higher in the battle. This means it could be level 100, technically making these the highest level non-facility trainers in the series!

I had a great time! I traded my Pokemon with yours, and on top of that, we had a great battle. I'm so happy to be with Pokemon!

The scenery is exhilarating, the battles are exciting. The ticket is $1000. Would you like to get on board? We are leaving the port shortly. Bon voyage!

Royal Unova

The number of Trainers aboard the Royal Unova today is 3. Please enjoy the trip.

Ah... this is really pretty. ... ... ... GAH, we don't have time for this! Here's the full observation deck journey, but this ship requires you to go fast if you want to get the reward for beating all the trainers!

you need help finding Trainers! Today... as for people, we have 1 on the port side and 2 on the starboard side.

"you'll find only one Trainer there today."

Our goal is to find and battle every Trainer within 3 minutes, but we have a few obstacles in our way for that, since we need to find them within the 15 cabins, 9 red and 6 blue. Thankfully time within menus, talking and battling does not add to the timer, but you need to check as many rooms as quickly as possible, and indeed talk to the right people. Every 45 seconds the ship's whistle goes off to give you an idea of how much time you have and when your hear the fifth whistle, one is blown when the ship sets off, you're out of time.

First thing is to check behind the blue doors, if you're lucky, you'll find a Maid, a class that'll only battle you. A Backer will never battle you, and they're one of 5 classes that instead of just talking will instead give you a lengthy conversation that will move time forward to the next whistle, no matter how long away it is. The other four are:

Thankfully we have the least amount of Trainers to fight, it depends on the day, though it'll also change the reward, so if we find a lengthy talker, we'll be alright. We've just gotta figure out which one of these passengers behind a blue door will fight us.

Alright cool, the Gentleman was the only one in the blue cabins that could be a long talker, so we could talk to him last without an issue, knowing by process of elimination that he had to be a trainer.

Now with the only Trainer behind the blue door out of the way, we know that the only trainer on the left, or port, side is behind a red door, and the remaining trainer on the right, or starboard, side is also behind a red door.

We'll leave the potential long talkers to last and hey we got lucky in not having to risk it.

All you can do is make my big robot angry, that won't end well for you.

I can have Pokemon battles while I'm being rocked in the ship. Plus, I can see Pokemon that are rarely seen. I am soooo happy!

Alright bitchin, she was the last of the regular passengers to talk to, after this I had to try my luck between two potential long talkers. But this was before the fourth whistle, so I wasn't worried.

You needed to use Trump Card about 4 more times before it did any real damage!

I am enraptured with the royal Pokemon battle...

Good work team, it's not too bad once you figure out how to narrow down the trainers. You talk to the crew to figure out how many Trainers are behind each coloured door, then you check behind the blue doors, hoping for a Maid. Then you talk to each passenger behind the blue door, leaving the long talkers for last and hope for the best. Repeat for the red doors. Sometimes you just gotta be lucky if long talkers are all that's left, but if you do it quick enough you can find two without much issue.

You've defeated all the Trainers on the ship! Please accept this prize.

Thank you for sailing with us on the Royal Unova. Have a nice day!

Oh yeah, the ship only sails during the evening, you probably noticed that. For sailing on Monday, Weds and Friday you beat 4 trainers for a Lava Cookie. This reward was for 3 on a Tuesday. For beating 5 on a Thursday you get an Old Gateau, for beating 6 on a Saturday you get a RageCandyBar, and for beating 7 on a Sunday you get a Rare Candy. Neat.

Yo it's time for more fishing!!!

As you'd expect, you can get Huntail and Gorebyss in rippling water, though they're version exclusive, so you gotta trade if you want both of them!

Next up is the SPORTS COURTS, though we won't be training in them. Yet. Well, I'll try to avoid it as much as possible, cause where's the fun in grinding past any postgame difficulty?

Great... so all the Pokemon in here are around level 65 and they refresh daily, there's two stadiums and you can do them both once a day. Oh and there's 10 trainers total, up to three more can appear in each stadium from a large pool, they usually have 2-3 Pokemon and they'll give you items after battle. Why the hell does Black City exist, again?

I should practice more on Pokemon handling, too.

:siren: Unwavering Emotions :siren:

So I believed, until I met Alder here. But, winning in Pokemon battles isn't all there is to life. Once I learned that lesson, my eyes were opened to many different things. We all have our own brand of strength, people and Pokemon alone. The strength to make our dreams a reality, the strength to protect what we hold most dear... Why do I think this way now? It's thanks to you, Touya... and Bianca... and Alder... if only N could see this, too, someday. I'm going to take a long, hard look at myself on Victory Road. I'm going to think about what I can do and who I can become... visit me sometime, if you want. We'll have a battle like old times.

Need to restock on Moomoo Milk again, I go through a lot, these postgame fights are hard! Here's incense or whatever.

Guess what? Still not done with fishing.

This is why it's weird Chinchou is so rare on Route 18, because they're pretty uncommon here, along with Lanturn in rippling water. Also Luvdisc, which explains where that woman gets her Heart Scales from once a day.

I trained and trained the Minccino that you traded me! Don't be surprised if it's too strong for you to handle!

Same mechanics as Dye in Nacrene City. Unfortunately this isn't a thing for all the trades, I did give that other guy a drat Gigalith after all, but it's a cute little thing they added in for the heck of it.

When I train Minccino, it reminds me of you... thanks for the trade!

All right. I've got time enough to satisfy your curiosity.

...breathing. Having a heart that beats. That is a simple existence and nothing more for a living being. That may be the definition of living, but I don't think that defines life.

The experiences of joy and suffering are a vital part of being alive. Ghetsis gave me the sensation of being truly alive... what did he mean to accomplish? That isn't what's important.

Right now, I'm shivering. I'm suffering, but I'm alive.

Pokemon and people live by being together and relying on one another. That might be how you feel. If that's so, is it necessary to separate people and Pokemon? By talking to you, I've discovered that there's much I need to think about... I wish I had more to give you in thanks... here, take this.

My lord N said that he wanted to make Pokemon perfect... but, even if the relationship between Pokemon and people stayed as it now is, Pokemon can aspire to perfection...

Indeed! I am an officer of the International Police, and I demand to hear all you know about Team Plasma!

It's too cold and I'm already tired of shivering in here. If you'll give me some time to think, I'll tell you what I know. So... take me with you.

Thanks many times over! Now, Ghetsis notwithstanding, there yet remains but 1 of the Seven Sages still at large. The thoughts they are contemplating, the hopes they are anticipating, these--these are what I want to know! Until our next meeting!

More monologues from the Seven Sages you say? Well if you insist.

Here in the Chargestone Cave, Ghetsis tested your ability... once more, we will test you to learn what it is you are. Team Plasma, come out!

Yow! It's an enemy ambush!

Ex-Team Plasma Battle

Gah, bloody Air Slash. Well this shouldn't be too bad compared to the last time we fought a postgame Plasma Grunt.

This kid is the real thing!

Because of you, I'm now ex-Team Plasma. Being an ex doesn't sound cool, does it? How are you going to make it up to me?

They're using the old staples, so it's not bad. Even in the postgame, they never use anything but Gen 5 mons.

"live together."

An ex-Team Plasma member becomes an ordinary Pokemon Trainer... this was that moment.

The Pokemon of our Team Plasma are also fighting for their Trainers. It was so obvious that I overlooked it... thank you for reminding me of that. Here, I'd like you to take this.

Pokemon do their best for their Trainers even when they are injured. I wonder whether my lord N understands what that means?

Looker Appears

I am an officer of the International Police, so you would be wise to share all you know.

Those who left Team Plasma and are behaving with respect and understanding toward Pokemon... them, please forgive! However, those who won't interact with Pokemon in a kind and honest way... even I will never forgive them!

Touya, there is something of which we must speak. A report has been received. By me. Far from here, a sighting occurred of a person like N and--a dragon Pokemon. I must instantly go to confirm the complete confirmation of this report. I will see you again, and soon!

There we go, that was the reward for finding all the Seven Sages. Looker is a huge liar, we'll never see him again in this game, but that's because he has three random concluding lines and we got the worst one.

Thank you a lot! Eh, Touya... on a topic I must speak to you. Having received such a report, of someone far from here, who has seen a person like N and... a dragon Pokemon. I am on my way to verify the veracity of this information. We will meet again one day!

I thank you profoundly! Curiously, Touya... there is a topic on which we must speak. A report has reached my ears of someone far from here. Indeed, this someone has spotted a person like N and a... dragon Pokemon. I depart to validate the validity of this information. We shall meet again, so until then, adieu.

Those are a bit more conclusive, but whatever, onto the next destination.

My old partner is resting here in the Celestial Tower. It was the first Pokemon I received when I became a Trainer. I come here to ring the bell and comfort its spirit. It was a strong Pokemon. It was courageous, noble, and kind... together, we madly pursued strength... without even knowing the meaning of strength. But, in the same way that all stories have a beginning and an end, all lives have an end, as well... it was then that I understood that strength isn't something that remains unchanged forever. However, the joy one feels in being with Pokemon--that is the real thing. In order to spread the word, I left the Pokemon League and kept traveling... that's right! Traveling is wonderful. I've met many different Pokemon, many different Trainers, and now I've met all of you. Well, Touya, I'll be waiting for you at the Pokemon League!

Yeah, we'll uh, get right on that. Soon. I pumice.

If you come again tomorrow, you might be able to find a Fossil of your own. So come out and play if ya want!

Praise be, yadda yadda, it'll take a bit of time to get all the previous fossils, but they're not version exclusive so go nuts.

Woah, what a rare Pokemon or whatever. For whatever reason you have a 1% chance of fishing up Dragonite even though Metagross was 5%. Still, because you get them at such high levels it doesn't matter, they evolve nice and easy.

And this right here, the last regular fishing encounter we can get. Wasn't that fun? Of course there's a ton of evolutions and rarer Pokemon in the rippling water, but I'm good thanks.

We're nearly done with the region, just one last route to visit.

Since we have Rotom, here's where we can change the form, very handy. I did talk about these forms, since they're quite different in comparison to Gen 4, but I can post them here again so they're in their "proper place".

So while all Rotom forms were Ghost/Electric in Gen 4, starting from Gen 5, each of the forms are a different type, therefore getting STAB on their exclusive move, as well as being much more interesting to use, though their moveset didn't change much. Let's start with the best one, the nice defensive Water type only weak to Grass and is able to abuse Gen 5's metagame with endless rain and ignoring all these drat Ground moves. Hydro Pump is an incredibly dangerous move, especially when rain boosted. It's also great against other rain types to drop Thunder on them and firing off Discharge for paralysis. All of the forms appreciate the Ground immunity, but this machine was able to make the most use of where it ended up, mainly because its move was the best and rain being so good. Pretty good considering it didn't even learn Scald!

Nice and compact, ignoring a 4x Ground weakness is great, but they usually carry Rock moves, so it's not too amazing. Overheat is a fantastic move, but it can't really be spammed like others. In the searing sun, it absolutely demolishes and Electric always pairs nicely to take down those Water types that try to take advantage. But with all the rain everywhere, it became a bit too easy to dampen and didn't learn any other Fire moves to help with it, always a shame.

Definitely the happiest form, it doesn't really benefit from Ground immunity, since it would be neutral otherwise, but it's always appreciated. Unfortunately the Grass type is usually a problem, but with all the Hurricanes flying around, not being weak to them helps a lot. Leaf Storm has the same problems as Overheat, but isn't boosted by any weather, so it's harder to recommend. Still, it can muscle past Ground moves and still really sting against rain teams. But without any other Grass moves, it's not too impressive otherwise.

Ooh, what's in the fridge? Disappointment? Okay... Frost may be the biggest, but it ain't the best, in hail, Blizzard is very deadly, but it's very unreliable outside of it and an Ice type is never a positive, balancing out its Ground immunity and neutrality to Steel. Still, it can deal with the Water types that try to stop it and it's an amazing neutral attacker with those STABs, but in the age of Fighting supremacy, its low Speed screws it over, even though it's also the rein of Dragons.

And then we come to the worst form. Firstly, its ability is completely useless, but maybe if it held an Air Balloon it can underflow and wrap around to being good again. No? Well if it was introduced in Gen 5, it probably would've gotten Hurricane, but instead we've got Air Slash. It's a perfectly fine move, but it's pathetic compared to all the others, and isn't too useful. While having the same type as Zapdos and Thundurus might sound good, it doesn't really help and has to rely on its Electric moves to push it through. Being limited to one move on the other STAB doesn't work too well if it's terrible, it turns out!

Next time, there's only one area left before we run out of ways to put off the hard battles. Hoo boy.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I forgot all about the Royal Unova battles. Kind of an interesting evolution of the Sinnoh Maid Battle challenge.

Also there are...significantly more trainers in the dream yard than I remembered. I knew there were some in there but I thought it was like...2. Maybe 3.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm slightly sad that in certain later generations Rotom was reduced from a neat gimmicky pokemon to an item.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Why does Rotomdex (especially the USUM one) have to exist? :negative:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I never did the Royal Unova sidequest because IIRC, "evening" specifically refers to 5-7pm or so, not the entire night, so it's easy to miss. I'm equal parts relieved and disappointed that it's a series of largely inconsequential battles and not much else.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I seem to remember reading that if you've nicknamed the Pokemon you trade away to these trainers, it will keep its nickname when they use it to battle you. It's pretty rare in this series that you can actually battle against a nicknamed Pokemon; I think that's kind of cool.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I see what you did there, gaggles.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 29: Okay, NOW We're Ready

Challenger's Cave

The last area in the game is no pushover, especially because you need to waste a moveslot on Flash! Sure you don't need it, but there's some nasty ambushes in this place.

"I'm sure you love them, too."

Eh, I'm indifferent towards this series, obviously.

We will keep walking! As long as the road goes on... as long as I am with my Pokemon!

Another floor, another ambush.

That is literally what this update entails, what the heck.

Pokemon training Pokemon... if they live in the rugged wilderness, it can happen naturally.

We're nearly finished catching Pokemon as well. Unova Dex? What's that?

Well I am pretty legendary.

In the story I know, the legendary Pokemon was training its student Pokemon.

As always we have one Pokemon missing and we find the 5% encounter before it. One game too early, pal.

Alright, only one floor left, and it's a real doozy.

There's a giant lake, but we can only skirt around the edge for now.

Better be healed up, cause there's one ambush in particular I've been looking forward to.

Now I use Bulbapedia for a lot of my images due to how it's the easiest and best looking method, but they're not massively interested in showing off regular trainer teams. That's fine, I haven't had much need to, but Serebii does have all this info and this is definitely an exception. Holy mackerel this team is pretty intense.

This is gonna be a pretty tough battle, but we've been closing the gap this entire postgame. And honestly this isn't the last difficult generic NPC so this is great practise for that!

Fair enough. Main thing is hit them as hard as we can so someone can come in and clean up.

Still, as you can see, his movesets aren't perfect, they're nerfed for a reason. But he can definitely dish out some terrifying damage if you weren't prepared.

High level Excadrill is pretty spooky, but thankfully it can waste a couple turns on dumb stuff.

Our days with Pokemon are full of happiness, and our joys will grow as we live together!

We're over the hump so let's grab everything we can.

Neat, once we've finished with the Unova Dex, one day, we'll be at nearly 300 Pokemon caught. Great practise...

Missing the ring.

Nice to get, though Stone Edge wasn't something I really felt we needed, Rock Slide is annoying enough without less accuracy and PP!

"when you are happy!"

Julia isn't as bad as Shaun, but her mons are pretty drat tricky. After all, without Hamlet how can I take down a Wormadam?

I wonder if the AI would've switched to a predicted Fire move for Flash Fire.

This Cloyster is actually a huge problem, we've struggled with all the postgame Water/Ice types, especially since I don't have Tristan.

We're able to slowly whittle it down but it 2HKOed the entire team with Surf and Icicle Crash. Thankfully it didn't have Shell Smash.

When I've been happy or sad, the Pokemon have always been with me. I hope I can stay with them as long as possible.

That's that all done, got some decent rewards, main thing I'm looking for is exp. Now let's go to the Pokemon League, turn 360 degrees and walk away.

When you confront yourself, you have to notice things about yourself that aren't too flattering...

My mentor told me you were here, so I came to see. Listen. Even if you lose in battle, if you surpass what you've done before, you have bested yourself. Take the opportunity of a battle to look at your opponent, look at the Pokemon involved, and look at yourself!

Are those Alder's words?

Maybe. But I'm borrowing them. What I want are battles with Trainers who believe in themselves like that... when I mix it up with a Trainer like that, both my Pokemon and I get even stronger. Well then, I'll be waiting for your challenge in the Pokemon League.

I guess that's that. OK, Touya! Accept this Pokemon battle!

Rival Battle

Got real Challenge Mode in here, Cheren is definitely a tough fight, but we're slowly closing the gap, so it shouldn't be that bad.

Is a little annoying that he has two Pokemon pop out of nowhere, not only would that have been a fun progression as he figured his strength, it also would've made his team wayyyyyyy less boring and lovely. Still, it does have that surprise element.

Please stop kicking my rear end.

And then from one threat to another. At least the gem only boosts the first hit of Outrage.

Save me Gamera!!!

And of course he still has the monkey, and I don't blame him, this thing is fast and does a lot of damage!

But yeah Unfezant is still whatever. Good team, shame it only got good outside of the starter in like 5 minutes of the LP's end.

I'll keep battling many Trainers and Pokemon like this, and if I can learn what kind of person I am, it will open my path. I'm sure this path will lead me to become the person I'm meant to be. Pokemon will always be with you and me as we go down our paths. Our important friends, Pokemon...

Undella Town

Well have fun in a cave for 2 years, we've got our last bit of training before we're "ready" for the Elite Four rematches. It's gonna be one hell of a time.

You have an extremely bored look on your face. I don't mind having a battle with you!

If we beat up this Buizel every day then eventually we'll get enough exp!

I've been so dreadfully bored at my father's villa! May I join you?

Feels like Bounce always paralyzes... anyway, we're gonna beat up rich people's pets for sport.

In my father's villa, I have too much time on my hands. Please come for a visit tomorrow, too. I will have a battle with you.

May I trouble you for another battle? Let me see... first, please have a battle with my little brother!

Two for two on Bounce paralysis, but you can see where this is going. We can fight against the Riches every day, but in order to add more people to the villa and the table, we need to fight them all in a row. Every day. Until we're done. Bit annoying, but it's some unique fights outside of the SPORTS COURTS and this is how we're gonna get those final levels.

And now, I'd like to see in what ways your skills exceed theirs.

The earlier battles aren't much to worry about, but they'll ramp up quickly and there's no breaks, so you best be prepared. Luckily you can get a gajillion dollars in the bay outside.

And of course PRNDL getting Shift Gear is just so nice to make it start contributing again, though its tankiness is much appreciated.

Undella Town is a relaxing and comfortable place. But my grandchildren seem somewhat bored. Please come visit us tomorrow, too. My grandchildren will be happy to see you again.

Wanna see me punch a Buizel?

...wanna see me do it again?

And, uh, yeah we'll do this for a bit. The team we're training up is the one that'll tackle the E4, so the ones who missed out last time, John, PRNDL and Gamera, as well as Corazon, who got swapped out at the last minute and please don't make me do it without a fast Thunder Wave. We've also got Hamlet, because of course, and then there's one free slot, so uhhhhhhh, Milli, because gently caress yeah Bug types.

Otherwise not much to these, especially when you figure out the smoothest way of getting through them.

That's one pair of grandparents.

Oh no!

Anyway, giving Milli +2 Atk is an interesting idea.

It didn't really work out.

Hoho! No matter how old I get, Pokemon battles are fun! This kind of excitement is not bad from time to time! Please come back anytime. Next time, I will win!

Day 5, let's recap.

What fun.

Alright, hope you're ready for what comes next.

Woah, it switched out on the last turn of Perish Song!

Ah, the billionaire's wife. Who actually does most of the work because the hubby is captivated by vanity projects.

We'll need PRNDL in the lead now so this Weavile doesn't wreck poo poo.

Thankfully with a DD, John can outspeed and oneshot this Excadrill cause OH MAMA THAT'S SCARY

I may not look like it, but I am very familiar with Pokemon. I would like to have a battle with you someday again.

Dawn of the final day.

Are you having fun yet?

I didn't show them, but that's 5 for 5 in Bounce paralysis. What the gently caress.

I'm glad I bought 60 Moomoo Milk before this, I'm at half that now lol

Still, this is a good chance to make sure we're all ready for the final battle. All Heatmor can do is use +2 Stockpile, since the AI doesn't like going further. Whatever, gives me plenty of time to prepare.

Thank gently caress this one doesn't have Sand Rush.

Alright, what ya got for me?!

Despite being an important trainer, you might have noticed these movesets are a little scuffed. They're the level up moves!

And I get why, doing this section of 6 battles in a row took like 20 mins so I definitely wouldn't have liked a proper fight with items and crafted movesets and all that poo poo at the end of this.

Still, our team is now much stronger than when we started, exp flows freely in this game.

It's still not an easy battle by a long shot.

Oh no!

Anyway, being one level away from Outrage neuters this a bit, but I don't fancy facing any more Haxorus for a while.

Sigh. I guess... it's still too early to identify myself as the head of the family. You should be proud of yourself for defeating the distinguished Trainer family, the Riches!

And there we go, you can't come back tomorrow to refight them, but we got all we needed from them.

You're awesome! I don't mind giving you a little credit!

None of the Riches is a match for you... I admire your strength!

Children of today are very strong in Pokemon battles. Hoho! I wonder if my grandchildren can become Trainers like you?

Hoho! Pokemon battles with the entire family! We all had a good time!

It's a complete defeat... the Riches sincerely wish you every success to you in the future.

Nimbasa City

Anything else I'd want to do is either best left until after we beat Alder, or from taking on the Battle Subway, but there's one small thing we can do to round off this update, using the Super Singles Pokemon chosen by yooooooouuuuuuuu!!!

Next to the Pokemon Center is the Battle Institute, something we can now try out. There's not much point to doing so, but might as well.

Please bear in mind that once you start the challenge, you will face five battles without a break. Now, the Battle Test begins! Please go inside!

As you'd expect, these trainers pull from the Battle Subway pool, though they quickly move through the various groups, the last couple battles are definitely a challenge. But since we have some properly powerful Pokemon, we should be just fine. We'll go over all of them next update, but I am super excited to use them!

Unsurprisingly for most of this it'll be the Choice Scarf Moxie K. Rool show.

Since this is a test, we're being graded on how well we're doing, you gain points for doing a variety of things in battle, and the final point total gives you a rating at the end. As you'd expect from good ol' Game Freak, the various ways to earn points is... weird.

We're getting pretty lucky with these leads, which is good because we want to deal as much damage as possible. Here's how the score breaks down:

+1000 for winning a battle; +80 per fainted opponent, so Doubles is technically better, but also riskier; +30 if the opponent took at least one turn, +15 if they did not; +5 for each switch; +4 for each opposing attack rendered ineffective through typing, ability, or ineffective status due to type (using Thunder Wave on a Ground type for example); +2 for each opposing attack that is not very effective.

-80 per Pokemon fainted on your side; -10 per turn taken; -10 for each ineffective attack on the opponent, same rules as above; -2 per resisted attack on the opponent. Finally, you get 1 point for each of your Pokemon's percentage of total health at the end.

Phew, no Sturdy. So we're doing really well so far, we're not taking any damage, we're taking out most opponents with super effective attacks and they're even getting a turn in. The main way to lose points is your Pokemon fainting, so since you only lose -5 points overall for switching, you should do that as often as you can to get the advantage.

GodDAMN these leads are amazing.

That's the power of +2 EQ, baby! Though we did get tagged by a Leaf Tornado accuracy drop... but I'm sure it'll be fine.

gently caress, oh well at least we've got plenty of Speed.

Alright, locking myself into Crunch might work out, but 3rd battle going well so far.

Huh, was predicting a Water move with that switch... oh there it is!

We get a bit unlucky with the last mon, so that's another faint.

...and another one, I should've gone for Focus Blast, but I need to ease myself into throwing my entire streak away with this move. If Focus Miss had hit, then K. Rool would've relied on Stone Edge, and I'm not sure if I could've OHKOed with that.

Another good lead, drat!

It barely survived, but since it was a 2-turn Outrage, we're outta here.

Now these thread submissions are first come, first serve, so I didn't clock on that all the Singles submissions was mono-Dark, whoops! Still, they all have different roles so I'm very happy to use them, I mean I did beat the Battle Hall with a Slaking and the Battle Arena with a Shedinja, I'll use whatever, it's more fun that way!

Let's get our Moxie in for- oh ffs, fine, switch out!

...and we've lost because I went for Focus Miss instead of Flamethrower! We can lose in this mode, we just won't get the points for the battle. And it's also kinda loving embarrassing. Still, we got a bit unlucky towards the end, such is not using save states to solve all my problems.

Oh. The AI decided not to KO me and I managed to land two Stone Edges. That just makes me feel real great about myself. Well I'm just happy we cleared it, it's pretty hard!

The result is Elite Rank! That's something you can brag about!

Meh, the only way to really get Master is have none of your Pokemon faint, more or less, most of the points you lose or gain barely matter compared to that. Thankfully this doesn't do anything, even for Master, so I'm not gonna bother.

But what does matter is doing a Battle Tower 3 times in a row with little variation. Fun!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I uh, I don't think I knew of anything in this update beyond the Cheren battle. BW postgame sure was a mystery to me.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Veteran Shaun is such a scary guy for a rando trainer, I remember going through the cave and not having a healthy team and THEN SURPRISE HERE'S A FINAL BOSS

Challenger's Cave is such a weird little area. It kind of feels like it's meant to be the new Cerulean Cave (cave you can find before beating the game but blocked by a guy until you beat it, full of high leveled stuff) but it's not very large and doesnt have many interesting items and only a couple random pokemon and some various tough trainers. The one trainer's lines even makes you think there might be a legendary here but uhh...no; it feels like Cobalion should be here, but he's over in the (more complex and larger!) Mistralton cave so you can start picking up mukseteers around mid game.
You could skip this place entirely and not miss much unless you were really jonsing for stone edge.

The Riches battles were so neat. Chain battles like that are super rare in the series and it was fun way to spend a week; i was really bummed when after you finally beat the final guy you can't do it anymore.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

God, Battle Subway is recorded, 12 hours of fun times, so many double battles... I should've spread out the three lines, but at the same time how much do you really need to see? There was some fun battles, wacky AI and a lot of dying, but I'll be able to smoosh it all together, the main focus is on the mons I'm using anyway!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 30: Not So Fresh

Oh boy it's the battle facility. It's gonna be a long one but we'll need to unlock the Super trains first, so we'll use the regular team from before we took on the Elite Four, should be fine, right?

Battle Subway

The first two sets of the regular trains are pretty easy, since you'll rarely find evolved Pokemon, but the difficulty ramps up pretty quickly, especially for the team we have.

Since I'm crunching this into one update, understandably the 10 sets per battle type, 210 total battles if you don't lose, means that I'll be skipping over A LOT.

But at least for these very early battles, there's really not much to show. Unova opponents only and the trainer you face determines what Pokemmon from their pool you'll randomly get. We'll get fully evolved Pokemon soon enough, but usually the movesets aren't particularly scary.

Onto the final set!

Not often that we actually have a Pokemon faint, but Mienshao is one of the few terrifying opponents.

Special Garbodor is also dangerous with this team, since it has a lot of super effective coverage.

And just like that we're at the boss.

I am the Subway Boss Ingo. I will choose the next destination based on your talent. Do you understand Pokemon well? Can you hold on to your principle? Will you go on to victory or defeat? All aboard!

Subway Boss Battle

Subway Boss Ingo
From ingoing.
Subway Master Nobori
From 上り線 nobori-sen (in-bound line)

Here's the first real challenge. When I mentioned before that you could clear the standard lines with your in-game team, I'll definitely retract that these end battles wholly depend on what team you have, they're hard as hell.

You ever been swept by a Garbodor?

That gets WORSE if you hit it with a contact move??? Still, that's what save states are for, it's the only way doing these battle facilities for you guys is even remotely feasible to show off!

See, it's just that easy.

Your talent has brought you to the destination called Victory! However, your journey has just started. When you choose your next destination, go full speed ahead!

That's the Super train unlocked, we'll tackle that soon enough, but make sure to talk to various NPCs, you'll get items as your streak increases!

Next up is the longer battle mode, where everything is wilder but slightly laggier due to my ageing laptop, so it takes longer to get through these sets. It's fine, I'm sure double battles are only a small part of this facility.

I think we'll be fine with this gaggle of pairs, so let's talk about the Pokemon themselves. Like in previous facilities there's a bunch of different Pokemon that have different sets, depending on the opponent you're facing, which changes as you go up in sets.

As you increase in your sets, the opposing Pokemon will get higher IVs, and the usual mediocre even split of EVs in two or three stats. Natures are fixed, but gender and the non-HA ability isn't, so that can make for some interesting variety.

I promise we're getting higher in sets, it just depends on what trainers we fight. There's quite a few that only appear in Sets 1 and 2, and other that only appear in Sets 2 and 3, but with 110 different Trainers, and 2-4 of the same class sharing the same pool of Pokemon, you can get all sorts here.

While having a slow lad in Big O isn't the best for this facility, it still works wonders.

We've gotten a pretty tricky trainer for the last fight, but not having any Fighting weaknesses helps a lot, here in the Fighting weak gen.

I was not ready for specially offensive Audino.

This ramped up a lot faster than Singles, but since there's more Pokemon to pull from, you've got a slightly higher chance of getting some not fun combinations. Let's finish up!

I am a Subway Boss. I like Double Battles. I like combinations of two Pokemon. And I like winning more than anything else. So let's start a great battle in which every Pokemon uses various moves.

Subway Boss Emmet
From emitting.
Subway Master Kudari
From 下り線 kudari-sen (outgoing line)

So Durant is one of the most terrifying mons due to its incredible coverage. The only recourse is hoping for a Hustle miss since it outspeeds Corazon. As for Emmet's team, it seems pretty familiar, because for whatever reason he uses a near identical team to Ingo. Though his Klinklang has a different set for whatever reason, it's something I never really noticed until now. Weird.

Anyway even with Durant out of the way there's still the other 3 mons to overpower us and OHKO before we can 2HKO them. But so long as Garbodor misses Focus Blast, Crustle misses Stone Edge and Big O is somehow still alive to take on Klinklang, this team can get by with no issue. Oh, and an AR code that makes us take no damage, but I didn't fancy having to try again, so yeah, pretty easy.

I lost against you. Because you are the strongest Trainer I've fought lately. You're a verrrrry strong Trainer! Yup! It was fun! Ride the trains some more!

And now for the final standard line, more double battles. Except this time half of my team is with a braindead AI, yaaaaaaaaay

Here's what Hilda's rolling with, Beartic is okay, but it's slow, which is bad, and it likes going for Icy Wind because ooh spread damage. Ugh. Conkeldurr would be fine if it didn't have the best damaging move as Superpower, since the AI does not conserve it for when it needs it. And it's strategy of Fling Iron Ball is godawful, the AI will only use it when the opponent is weak to Dark and even then it's not a guarantee, so out of all the battles I had with it, it used Fling ONCE and had pathetic Spd the rest of the time.

Still, because this is only set 2, I did a set waaaaaaaay back when we first reached Nimbasa, remember, we'll be just fine. Mostly.

John and Gamera are helping, but this early on the AI can carry us most of the way.

Next up for Hilda is... the Conkeldurr again? This time in the lead?! Uggggggggh, and then an alright Golurk that can't have No Guard because it's a HA. Can also have Klutz Lum Berry because gently caress you.

Outside of a few weird battles the fights are getting pretty tough, but we'll manage.

Wow, a Fling use! Hopefully Hilda doesn't weigh me down too much in the boss battle.

The fellow over to the side is also a Subway Boss, Emmet. Will a Multi Battle help us cover each other's weakness? Or will you show your overwhelming power? I look forward to seeing how well you fight. However, it is difficult to win unless you and your partner are in total sync.

Follow the schedule. Everybody smile! Check safety. Everything's ready! Aim for victory! All aboard!

Oh hey they're using the same team again except here's a Galvantula. This is the third time we've faced this special Garbodor and it always wrecks my poo poo.

YOU HAVE EARTHQUAKE GAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH okay let's try this again.

Oh right the Durant is still here. Well Golurk can be a nice distraction while the real hero appears.

I lost together with Ingo. Your combination is the best, perfect! You're verrrrry strong Trainers. Yup! It was so much fun!

What you showed us is a spark as Trainers. However, let me say just one thing. Winning against us is a milestone in your life. You can rack up more and more. Please move on toward an even greater goal!

Okay, we're done with the preamble, now we can actually start the facility properly using Pokemon chosen by yooooooouuuuuuu

We saw them in the Battle Institute but here they are properly, can we do a mono-Dark run? Boy I hope we don't run into any Mienshao or Durant!

First up is a fast and furious krok by FoolyCharged. Great mon to lead with and he'll ramp up super quickly. Nice coverage, though have to be wary of locking myself into EQ, as well as Stone Edge.

Next is Lernie the Hydr- NANI?! So thankfully there's no Team Preview in the subway, so Don Fluff by Blaziken386 can fool the AI completely. It's not a huge issue what he's disguised as since both mons don't offer much protection, though K. Rool would stop Don Fluff being hit by Electric attacks. The AI doesn't notice that Don Fluff should have Levitate as Lernie so they'll still go for Ground moves, but we can draw Ice and Dragon moves easily enough. He's fast and hits really drat hard, it's all I need him to do.

Finally we have the real monster that I definitely trained up all the way. Lernie by Badger of Basra is thankfully not choice locked in any way so she has some nice freedom in her moves, especially when she wants to nuke something. Might think having Don Fluff is a bit redundant but he's slightly faster and having two special attackers is always nice, will matter a fair few times. Also lets me use Focus Blast without being locked into it.

Battle Subway

Story of my life down here is being able to use one move and then getting walled by the next mon. Choice items are great, but you gotta be ready to switch often, or be stubborn.

Otherwise, considering this is where things really start and we've got a looooooooong way to go, I'll be skipping over most of it. It's a shame honestly, since you're facing fully evolved mons with proper sets from the start, it's pretty drat hard, 7 sets of brutal battles. And it was fun, I could show nearly every battle if I wanted, they had something interesting in all of them. But gently caress me does it take a super long time. I did pace myself with this, but it still took forever, and honestly how much of this do I really need to show? The mons submitted were all amazing, but it is just a load of battles, not too great for this format. Next time I'll stream it, kay babz?

We're gonna see some janky sets to start with, like with the previous facilities, there's usually 4 sets per mon that gradually increase in effectiveness as you go. There's 190 different trainers in the Super lines and they're bringing some heavy stuff.

Here we can see "Lernie" getting hit by Bulldoze, honestly all the trainers in battle facilities are cheating bastards.

Also thanks guys for giving me loads of inaccurate moves. WHY MUST YOU TORTURE ME SO

Please stop kicking my rear end.

Ah, save states, I love you so much. Understandably running mono-Dark means I have a few things to worry about. Still, even during sets I can reload from a state and rest my streak to reroll what Pokemon I face. The trainers are the same but they draw from their pool again. Saves my heinie a lot because goddamn did I lose a ton, this place is hard yo.

Fast users of Focus Blast are also a massive pain, cause they're everywhere. So good I faced it twice in one set!

Otherwise while there's a few hiccups, this team is tearing through, though singles are pretty easy to sweep through with the right tools.

When I'm not dealing with fast bullshit, I'm dealing with slow fast bullshit!

Now that we're past battle 22 we see Veterans and Gentleman show up, who just have legendary Pokemon. Only half of the male Veterans have legendaries while no female Veterans have them, which is standard sexist bullshit!

Thankfully because all of the legendary's sets could show up, it's not that likely you'll get the deadly sweeping one, so they're not too bad. Still a miserable pile of stats.

Why is everything SO loving FAST

Easy K. Rool legendary solo, what of it?

Oh yeah you have Outrage, nearly forgot. Onto the final set!

We have some ups and downs, but we're ready for the final challenge.

Let me introduce myself... I am the Subway Boss Ingo. What can I see after winning, winning, and winning? Where is my destination? I've kept thinking, and I've learned one thing. That is, you cannot know what happens after winning without winning. Therefore, I will exert every possible effort to battle with you. All aboard!

Subway Boss Battle

Get outsped, bitch! Definitely a glow up from before, but both teams were scary in their own way.

But I'm ahead by one KO, so we'll be just fine.

Even if the AI cheats, "Lernie" will be able to close it out. Or maybe it's Lernie? Who can tell.

I am glad that I fought so hard against a wonderful Trainer like you. That's right! You grow stronger by matching yourself against a strong opponent. Please do your best and run toward the destination, an even higher state.

That's one line conquered, some very nice rewards. We could keep our streak going, and it's best to do so in the Super Singles due to how quick battles are, and you'll keep getting rewards from your fellow line-goers, though there's less and less as you climb higher. You get a PP Up after 21 victories, a Rare Candy after 28 and then a bit of a gap before a Lansat Berry at 105 victories, then another gap before a Starf Berry at 203 victories. Since there's no berry patches anymore, rip Dream World, this is the only way to obtain these now, and just the one. It sucks! But they also suck so it's whatever.

Alright, doublade time, so what wacky mons have we got this time?

Contrary Serperior is loving illegal, I love it so much. SmugSnake by Explopyro just spams Leaf Storm to get to +6, and also has a great amount of healing due to max HP EVs. Leftovers is better used on another fellow doubler, so Sitrus Berry and +4 Giga Drain is usually enough to get SmugSnake back to full health with no issue. I also misread the moveset page and thought Serperior couldn't learn Twister and gave it Dragon Pulse instead, but it's an egg move, whoops! The higher BP was appreciated, even if Twister ain't a bad doubles move for fast mons.

For more illegal HA shenanigans, here's Archer by Leraika where there's a lot of flinching going on. King's Rock gives attacking moves a 10% chance to flinch, and 5 hits of that totals to 41%, and having STAB Tail Slap makes this a very deadly combo, since it's 5 37BP hits. Bullet Seed might seem a bit redundant with two other Grass types, but it's an important move to have because it CAN'T MISS!!! I love this mon, but using it in a battle facility is just asking for trouble with those move accuracies. At least Rock Blast got boosted to 90 this gen.

Madame Puff by Jade Rider is usually the opposite of how I roll, I'm not a huge stall fan, even if it has its use, and a mon that's Taunt bait is pretty risky. But with other mons distracting the opponent, when she gets set up this Pokemon will never loving die, Leftovers and two sources of Leech Seed make infinite Substitutes and there will be quite a few times where she'll be the last mon standing. Even if all she does is constantly have her sub broken without being able to do much else, that's a lot of turns for the other mons to put some work. Definitely has her place on this team.

Last up is Lumiere by MadmanIncorporated that burns so brightly I might have to worry about his teammates! Hopefully I can pull off some Flash Fire strats but with Fire Gem Heat Waves, it almost seems like overkill. Overheat is great to close out stuff with, but Shadow Ball is a nice way to not lower my stats or use up the Gem when I don't want to. I miss gems, bros. Has a specific EV spread to help outspeed and survive various things and while I didn't notice, it definitely helped.

Battle Subway

This is why it's usually recommended Cinccino uses Life Orb, since he'll fall short on power even with a really strong STAB move. Still, it's always a lot of guaranteed damage and softens up enemies for SmugSnake to ramp up with.

Still, the coverage is very, very nice, these two will just annihilate anything in their path.

Some take a bit more effort, but that's an easy first set.

We've still got two other mons that can enjoy the lead fun! Since it's not as immediate as the other lead, I'll only do it for the one set, but it means they get some spotlight.

But even though it seemed like we're having an easy time, this is still a battle facility, so we'll face some tough trainers on occasion. Thankfully this Mandibuzz was also not running any attacking moves so even with Taunt I could take it out with Struggle. Ever seen that before?

You can explode on me, I'm behind 7 substitutes.

Let's keep moving on. Ow.

That's twice Madame Puff has kept me from reloading a save state. Doing the latter is a million times faster, but hey at least I don't need to count it as a death. I've still died like 40 times, but meh.

Nice Solid Rock lol

Man this fast rat thing is real nice to have.

It dies kinda easily though, but that's the price to pay.

While this is taking quite a while to get through all the battles, doubles are pretty slow compared to 3v3, I'm flying through with no many problems. It's a weird mishmash of mons, but they're working well together. It helps that the two leads are super drat fast.

Haven't shown SmugSnake much, but he's just been blitzing through most things, it's so good.

And now we're over halfway through this place. Starting to feel the battle fatigue now, since there's not much to focus on and show.

Oh yeah some trainers here just use Eeveelutions and they're nice and free this late on. Otherwise every battle is pretty tough, but doubles requires more thinking with who does what instead of Choice Scarf Crunch go brrrrrrrr

Here it is, the mythical Toxic/Minimize/Softboiled/Mud Bomb Blissey. You'd better hope it has Natural Cure since the AI really hates switching. Thankfully I landed a Toxic early on so instead of trying to pathetically Mud Bomb Madame Puff's sub, it had to keep healing the Toxic damage.

That battle would've been 10 minutes longer in Gen 4, hoo boy. Onto the final set!

Both SmugSnake and Lumiere would see that "not very effective" text as more of a suggestion.

We got some easy Eevee teams and some tough men in fursuits, but we're ready for the second final challenge.

I am a Subway Boss. I like Double Battles. I like combinations of two Pokemon. And I like winning more than anything else. This time, I am really serious. Really serious. Because if a battle is not serious, it is not fun.

Subway Boss Battle

Well that's an annoying miss, but I decided to not show any of the previous Leaf Storm/Tail Slap misses for my sanity.

Thankfully we landed the other Tail Slap and Excadrill was soundly 2HKOed by Leaf Storm even without Life Orb.

Stop that!!!

Our shiny one is faster therefore better therefore Eelektross will fall to another Leaf Storm. Right?!

I am a Subway Boss, but I lost against you again. But I feel good. Because it was very fun! You want to win, and I don't want to lose. That's real. When we clash in battles, I feel very excited!

Now for more double battles, but worse! Since we have 7 submissions, then that's 7 mons we can mix and match with in the two slots. Now, I couldn't bring myself to have Madame Puff in the lead position, I was many hours in and wanted this facility to be over, but that meant Don Fluff could strut his stuff in the lead position, as intended.

You've got 7 more chances, Hilda, please don't be bad.

Battle Subway

Slow, but both of these mons are pretty drat good. Would've preferred them in like set 5 but it's fiiiiiine.

I mean you could've waited until Madame Puff resisted that but I get it.

Times Madame Puff completely walled the opponent and singlehandedly won me the match: 3.

There's still a lot more to go, but let's do our best!

Lernie and Madame Puff are joined by yet another loving Beartic holy poo poo I'm sick of getting these, and a pretty drat good Krookodile. I wonder if the AI chooses what you don't have, be weird if you could double up.

Please no more Mienshao...

Still, having Ice attacks is nice for the many things weak to it.

Madame Puff wins this if this Breloom isn't Poison He- gently caress

Now with Archie and SmugSnake, role reversal, is the Krookodile we just had, but worse, and a Braviary that is way too happy to use Superpower.

Oh hey that Meganium had a Sitrus Berry, bonus!

Now that's what I call teamwork. M-Mostly...

We're flying through these, I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel. The light is doing this again in the sequel. Yaaaaaaaay.

Lumiere and Lernie get joined by two pretty illegal mons. These would be what I'd hope to get on set 7, but here's fine.

Oh god Aerodactyl, but thankfully we have another mon who finds "not very effective text" a suggestion. Even if the recoil immediately knocks it into Defeatist.

Overall, nice easy set with some strong peeps. Now to throw it all away.

Joining "Lumiere" and Lumiere is another loving Beartic. We've had this exact set 3 times in a row now, and out of 10 sets, 4 of them have had Beartic. Also a terrible Excadrill, but maybe after a Swords Dance it can be dependable. Thankfully it never went for Metal Sound.

Still at least this Beartic ain't that bad, instead we get an Excadrill that just Digs all the time.

This is actually Lumiere, so you goddamn done hosed up now son.

Still, while this is set 5 and every fight is kinda scary, we're surviving just fine. I even missed a Focus Miss! I don't wanna try doing that again...

Joining, uh, totally Archer, and Archer, is a tried and tested friend and an alright Bisharp. Dunno why it's lumped with Rock Smash, but Sucker Punch helps with its Spd issue, so I'm happy with it overall.

Oh hey it's been a while since we last saw a legendary. Didn't fight any on the Super Doubles for whatever reason. Thankfully they're more manageable in the Multi since you can focus down their ally and they can only bring two terrifying stats instead of four.

We then face two Landorus in a row, because gently caress me apparently. But even with a Tail Slap miss, we can count on a lot of goddamn damage.

Archer can just flinch down a Heatran instead, strategy in motion.

Kill me now.

Oh hey where did this shiny Zoroark come from?

Dawn of the final set, thank loving god. Joining the illegal twins of SmugSnake and K. Rool is an Accelgor that already died before I could go over it and a bad Sawk that'll get outsped before it can pull off any Reversal strats. And also waste time enduring when it doesn't need to. Perfect for the final set!!!

I promise we'll get our act together eventually.

Figured it would do that so switching out SmugSnake was the best move.

Yo is that Accelgor actually getting an attack off and then surviving?!

No? It's SmugSnake doing so instead? Then good day to you sir.

Now we're playing with power. I have no idea how K. Rool survived that.

And as we close with a Yawn Darmanitan set being the only reason I won, it's time for the final battle of the Subway. Boy this took a really long time, but I still had fun, it wasn't 170 tedious battles of the Battle Hall, or the absolute despair of the Battle Palace, it was difficult, but I had seven cool peeps to help me through it and it would've been an absolute blast if it didn't take 45 minutes for each set.

Well, there is nothing else to say for the person who comes all the way here. Let's have the greatest battle, better than ever before.

Follow the rules. Safe driving! Follow the schedules. Everyone smile! Check safety. Everything's ready! Aim for victory! All aboard!

Subway Boss Battle

At least at the end of this we end with a niiiiiice easy fight. Mainly because SmugSnake is loving illegal, but Accelgor is actually able to do things?! The gently caress???

That's not stopping me.

THAT'S NOT STOPPING ME

Last obstacle is a pretty scary mon, but this Rock Slide didn't take me out and just activated my berry, so if I don't get paralyzed, yer dun!

We lost against you again. But I am satisfied. You are too strong! The strength you have, your trust in your Pokemon, their never-ending support! Yep! It was the most fun battle ever! Please come back soon!

The best combination of you and your Pokemon. It is incredible! When you and someone else combine, your engine powers something special! If you like, please challenge us with a different combination.

...could we be the best partners ever?!

At least take me to dinner first! N never took me for dinner... so yeah, that was the Battle Subway, that was pretty cool, but I don't wanna do it again for at least 2 years! Now that we've seen all that they're about, Ingo and Emmet are... interesting I guess. They seem a little weird, Emmet especially, but since they barely show up they don't make much of an impression. So of course it should be no surprise that they are incredibly popular in Japan, 2nd and 3rd in a male character poll taken shortly after the game's released, just after N of course. I will never understand it.

No. Beating the Subway Bosses on all three Super lines nets us yet another colour for our trainer card. There's only one left and it's a real doozy, lemme tell you. So what next, what else is there to do in the postgame?

We should go and have a Champion time, because I can't get my pension unless I actually enter into the Hall of Fame!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

back in gen 5's hey day there were approximately a bajillion subway brother videos on niconico. You had original compositions, you had full redone parodies of songs, you had it all

it was bizarre

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
These guys are absurdly creepy wtf

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yeah, they are. And the Japanese pokemon fans like them? :confused:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Their expressions make me feel like they're staring into my soul.

Simply Simon posted:

These guys are absurdly creepy wtf

If I recall correctly, they're supposed to come across that way. Or, at least, the Pokémon Special manga had White really creeped out by these guys, so someone shares your opinion!

snohax
May 30, 2011

Update was well worth the wait. I'm glad you were able to give every submission a chance to do terrible illegal things shine. Madam Puff clowning teams single-handedly was particularly delightful.

I had briefly worried that Lumiere might be a bit too slow or fragile, but...

Crosspeice posted:

Both SmugSnake and Lumiere would see that "not very effective" text as more of a suggestion.
Truly everything I had hoped for :allears:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I am glad that Archer came in handy with his unlimited flinch works.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Glad to see SmugSnake worked out well, even if he had to be changed a bit! Amusingly enough, the reason I requested Twister was because I didn't know it could learn Dragon Pulse at all, and I'd been under the impression Twister was the only special coverage move Serperior had access to. (I think it gets access to Dragon Pulse from a move tutor in the sequels, but it can't in this game? But then Twister is an egg move that needs to be chain bred starting with an event pokemon, so we're doing shenanigans either way.)

Still, it's moot, I'm glad you had fun with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Last post on this page for the second to last update. Ah wait that doesn't work.