Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Hello friends, I am forums poster How are u and I am both thrilled and shaking my head at myself for presenting for your enjoyment another Dominions 5 Let’s Play. :toot:

You may remember me from my Dominions 4 LP Mo Money, Mo Problems, probably the greatest achievement of my life.

Well, this is Dominions 5, an even better Dominions.

First thing’s first: what is Dominions 5? I’m going to straight-up crib descriptive quotes from my old LP because they are literally ever-fresh and completely real.

Baudin posted:

Imagine a Total War game, but with magic and without the ability to control your units or real nation management or any semblance of balance whatsoever.

Roland Jones posted:

For those unfamiliar with Dominions, it's a turn-based strategy game about gods fighting each other and quite frequently utterly ruining the world in the process.

ChickenWing posted:

Suffice it to say that Dominions is a turn-based strategy game that shoehorns pretty much every recognizable belief system in the world into the guise of a fantasy nation and then attempts to settle the question of whether Jesus or Thor would win in a barfight.

TheDemon posted:

Dominions is the best game ever because it is a cross between an old-school 4x and a fantasy adventure game, with lore based on real-world mythology, that has delivered literal years of multiplayer entertainment. Expect a game that takes cues from Master of Magic, space 4Xs like Master of Orion 2 and Stars!, or a tabletop RPG. Don't expect Fantasy Rome: Total War.
The breadth and depth of play in Dominions is insane. There are over 50 nations with a roster of Pretender gods to pick from. You customize your pretender by buying advantages and disadvantages. Once play begins there are 1000 unit types, 600 spells to research, and 700 magical sites to uncover. You can choose between 300 pieces of equipment to gear out heroes who can take down armies single-handedly. Eventually, you can cast game-altering global enchantments that cook the world, heal lost limbs, or blot out the sun.

That's breadth. Dominions has depth. You can sneak or teleport into lightly defended territories, burn the temple, destroy their roads, funnel their taxes to your own forts, and disappear. You can set up a self-fueling Wish chain where you wish for more wishes. You can wipe out your enemies not with armies but with faith, fueled by sacrificing hundreds of virgin maidens upon your altars. You can crack open the gates to Tartarus and summon dozens of insane dead pretenders to serve in conquering the world. You can order a sudden teleport attack on all your rivals' capitals simultaneously, cleaving the gates in one turn with teleported siege equipment and blitzing the garrison before they can react. These are all actual, game-winning endgame strategies.

PurpleXVI posted:

For those new to Dominions, it's a turn-based high-fantasy somewhat-dark strategy game where your galaxy brain strats are regularly upended because a turkey blew up an archangel's brain or a militaman with a katana cut off an extradimensional invader's kneecaps and made it run away while making GBS threads itself in terror. The only thing more dangerous than your enemies and their plots is the RNG and your own hubris. Most of the nations are themed around some real-world mythos or ethnicity, but usually with some sort of interesting twist. Winning is accomplished by killing your enemies, claiming a pre-set number of the Thrones scattered around the map or making the game go on for long enough that everyone else quits out of frustration.

So, What is Dominions to you?

Simply put: I’ve been playing the Dominions games for years and years now. They are so stuffed full of nations, magical spells, bless effects, and pretender gods that there’s basically infinite replayability. That’s before modding. Steam says I put 1400 well-spent hours into Dominions 4, and I’ve got 900 so far in Dominions 5. It’s some loving fantasy/strategy/role-playing crack in a game. It’s also really fun.

So, what’s with *this* Dominions 5 LP?

Glad you asked. This is a disciples game of Dominions. Disciples are simply team games that involve a slightly modified game mechanic. A disciples team of any size will have 1 player designated as the Pretender God. This player will build the Pretender that designates the Bless and the Dominion Scales the entire team will use. Essentially: the Pretender player in a disciples game is the same as every player in a normal game of Dominions.

The disciple players pick their own nations, but instead of designing a Pretender of their own they can only design a Disciple. Disciple’s are just all of the normal Pretender god choices but slightly restricted. They cannot be built from Pretender options with a base Dominion score higher than 3, for example. They also don’t pick their own scales or choose a Bless, because those are already chosen by the team leader who built the Pretender. Disciples function as Prophets (note: Disciple players in a disciples game lose the ability to declare a Prophet!), and can be called back from the dead by priests if they bite it.
Disciples, thusly, usually end up built as nasty super combatants and hugely powerful mages.

Ok, tell us about the game

This particular game is called Disciples of Theme World, and it is not finished. Currently the game is on turn 62, and nobody knows who will win.
You may have guessed that there’s a slight gimmick to this game, nice job! In the land of Theme World teams have been determined by ~national cultural and/or geographical themes~.

I am playing as Lanka, and I am a Disciple on Team Blood.

Teams of Themeworld

Team Greece:
Arcoscephale: Arcvasti :histdowns:
Pangaea: Lotham
Mekone: Jack2142

Team Skyrim:
Ulm: Warbeard :histdowns:
Niefelheim: Nyarlathotep
Rus: PurpleXVI

Team Not-Africa:
C'tis: Jonjoe
Machaka: OOrochi :histdowns:
Berytos: AfroSquirrel

Team Mesopotamian Menace:
Caelum: KhisanthMagus
Hinnom: Mid
Ur: Biggs :histdowns:

Team Human Extermination Front:
Abysia: Kremath
Agartha: Torranor :histdowns:
Fomoria: Cobra Lionfist

Team Blood:
Mictlan: Burgundy Samog :histdowns:
Xibalba: Green Samog
Lanka: Howareu

Team Hitler:
T'ir Na N'og: Weedzmin :histdowns:
Vanheim: CrazyJazzyJ
Helheim: Alex0080

Team Ermor[And Lackeys]:
Marverni: Mukip :mrapig:
Sauromatia: Meksivik
Ermor: Jerek :histdowns:

The 'team leader' aka the player who designs the Pretender, scales, and bless, is indicated with a :histdowns:

They’re all thematically grouped, get it? Excellent!

How much are you going into depth in this LP?

I’m not going to get too deep into the weeds on the mechanics of the game. There have been a pretty good number of Dominions 5 LPs on these forums so far, and I didn’t start documenting turns in this game with the intent of being extraordinarily thorough. I encourage you to check out these other excellent Dominions 5 LPs if you haven’t already!

POOR UNFORTUANTE SOULS - by Ramc
The New, The Bad, and the Monkeys – by Highwayleopard
Less New, More Bad – by PurpleXVI
Clown LP - by gonadic.io

Team Blood

Team Blood is made up of the nations of Lanka, Xibalba, and Mictlan. Mictlan is the team leader and has designed the team Pretender

And chose the team scales

Didn’t take a screen shot of the initial Bless, but it is:
• Morale +1
• Attack Skill +4
• Cold Resistance +5
• Defense Skill +2
• Twist Fate
• Strength +2
• Blood Surge

A very solid bunch of minor blesses that should work with any of our national sacred demons. Twist fate will come online when our Sleeping Pretender god wakes up sometime in the 2nd year of the game.

And the national descriptions

We are going to get into specific unit descriptions as they come along in the game.

Long story short: Team Blood is 3 Early Age blood nations of various strength. What we have in common is all of us can summon sacred demons of various types and have powerful sacred mages. We’ll all struggle with income, especially in Turmoil scales, but hopefully our Bless and Luck scales will make up for it.

Blood is a very powerful school of magic, but this game is being played using the SA Dominion community mod “JBBM”, created and maintained by our own Jbrereton. JBBM mod levels some pretty solid nerfs to Blood magic, including upping the summon costs for all of our team nations’ national sacred demons.

Will Team Blood crush all their enemies before them and rule the world in darkness, or will they turn out to be a paper tiger? Read the whole dumb story in Team Work Makes the Theme Work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Reserved.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Aww yeah the disciples LP is finally starting.

Team Hellen is Other People Pretender Overview

I am playing on a team with two probably familiar faces: Lotham and Jack2142 of newbad fame. Together we are on team Hellen is Other People, which is a team based around the theme of Fake Ancient Greek nations. It's not the strongest team altogether, but two of the three nations in it are very strong and the last one is at least usable after heavy buffs from the balance mod this game is running: "JBBM".

Lotham is playing Pangaea, everyone's favourite* nation of goats and their friends and Jack2142 is playing Mekone, which is like Sparta except with angry god-hating giants. I, meanwhile, am reprising my role as Arcoscephale.

Now since this is a disciples game, one of the three nations gets to be the pretender and decides the scales and bless, and the other two are disciples and their "pretender" only chooses paths and chassis. The pretender is limited to domstrength 3 and 4 chassis and the disciples are limited to domstrength 1 and 2 chassis. The Disciples Meta, as I understand it, is that the pretender takes a real silly bless on an awake statue or titan and then the disciples take big monsters.

The problem with that though is that Mekone has no sacred troops and Arcoscephale's sacred troops aren't the greatest, so a really silly bless would be largely wasted. I was tempted by going scales on a dormant pretender with a minor bless, but soon discovered that that was a really bad idea: A dormant pretender means dormant disciples too and that means a lot of lost expansion. In disciples games, wars tend to start much earlier, so putting yourself at an early disadvantage is suicide against a decent team.

Eventually what I ended up was, uh, this:

Definitely-Not-Athena is that greatest of rarities: A Titan pretender who is actually capable of careful expansion. She has real equipment, a fear aura and a bird that she uses as a weapon. The Owl is notable because it is length 5 and thus can repel basically anything in the game. She also has earth, so can boost her mediocre starting protection with levels in that. Air and Earth also have some pretty decent early research buffs that can further bolster her survivability.

The bless isn't that much to speak of, especially early on, but I think it's pretty good if we can survive the earlygame. Fire and Shock Resistance is very very useful to have, especially in the Early Age that is just dripping with strong air nations. Magic Weapons makes me and Pangaea's sacreds scale much better into the lategame, since they can get through mistform, etherealness and invulnerability. Some Magic Resistance might have been a better choice, but I went with Magic Weapons anyways, once again because it's strong against powerful air nation tools like Air Elementals and Fog Warriors. Wind Walker is a bit of an experiment, and lets sacred units move faster. This is useful even for Mekone's priest mages and pretty good for me and Pangaea. I could have gone with 15 more shock resistance and a point of precision or something for the ability to shrug off a direct Thunderstrike, but I figured that would be overkill and that more strategic mobility is always good.

These paths also turn out to make Crazy Bird Lady a very useful caster of big spells and forger of big items. She can get up to Earth six, Astral six and Air six with relatively easy to forge boosters and can climb to Earth eight, Astral seven and Air nine with some much more expensive ones. She can forge all of those booster all by herself, even. Even just the easy boosters and those paths give access to some great globals like Riches from Beneath, Eyes of God and Dark Skies as well as the Earth/Astral/Air gem generating globals.

For scales I take the SA meta of Heat 3 for snow ignoring and get Production 1 and Magic 1 with my leftover points. Magic 1 is a good rp breakpoint in JBBM and Production 1 helps with money and expansion. No Turmoil means no Maenads for Pangaea, but also more money and somewhat less unrest problems for Mekone, so I went with it anyways. I personally like dumping Misfortune even in JBBM, but my teammates weren't so sure about that, so I relented and went neutral Luck.

Jack2142 and Lotham, meanwhile, both took Drakons as their disciples. A bit of a boring choice, but also a pretty effective one as long as they don't end up bumping into any Niefelheim expansion parties or similar. Lotham's Drakon is called Disciple of Samogvasti, Vanquisher of the Enemies of Crazy Bird Lady and has E6N4 paths. Meanwhile, Jack2142's Drakon is named Sudden Vape Death Syndrome, He who Aided Crazy Bird Lady to Victory and sports fancy N5E5 paths. I sure hope those disciple titles prove accurate!

I have a decent amount of saved turns for this game, plus a revised version of the old newbad EA Arco national overview, so I'll be posting those as they become relevant. Sadly the battle replays will likely be inaccurate by now, and my coverage isn't the best, but oh well that's the risk you take with this approach.

Arcvasti fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 21, 2020

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

The Mesopotamian Menace has a god. A god designed by 3 VERY different races that all vaguely reside in the same area of not-earth. The big problem is we all like a different amount of HEAT scale. Ur likes it a little hot (Heat 1), while Hinnom likes it VERY hot (Heat 2) and Caelum likes it a little cold (Cold 1). We get an imprisoned pretender (Surprise! All our Disciples are Imprisoned too!) for more points so we can make up our lovely Hot/Cold scales with other scales. We also get E4, S7, B4 for Reinvig x2 (for me and one of my buddies), Arcane Finesse (for me), Blood Surge (for my other buddy). And I get S7, so I can summon my best end-game national summon, which breaks me into every elemental magic. We're riding the Luck 3 / Chaos 3 Lottery, with maxed production, growth, and magic. What can go wrong?

Oh. That's right. I am Ur. Ur is not a good nation. Ur is actually 3 nations smashed together into one horrible, hard to get rolling mess.

Ur's main force is a bunch of half-giants that are both expensive and not-quite big enough to be worth being expensive. They're okay when being lead by your normal commanders, and moderately good when you put them under control of one of your "Kings" the Ensi.

This guy can run complex military strategies like "stand in a line, not in a big clump so that arrows can kill you all." He's also got the potential to go W3, or W2/N2, which is pretty good for spell casting, but not exactly game changing.

Ur is also about building random labs in dumb random places, like forests, swamps and wastes, so that you can recruit wild guys that can go elf-stealth and raid enemy territory and gain access to high Earth, Nature, and some light Death magics. These are all good things, but finding the right place (especially wastes) and not being able to put a fort on them to recruit the cool dudes means that recruitment is stupid and slow. And expensive.

Finally Ur can go underwater, and once they get a foothold there they turn into a psudo-underwater nation including an underwater only potential W3 mage (which can get W5 very easily with Construction). And that means I'll be very hard to shift out of a lake without any real underwater nations to fight me.

But with us being "kinda okay" at so many things we're "really good" at none of these things, so as soon as someone realizes "Oh, it's Ur" I go splat. Hopefully diplomacy, Hinnom, and Caelum will keep people off my back.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
In this game I'm playing as Rus for Team Skyrim, you may know me from such exciting stories as "I joined this game just to cast a world-ruining combination of global spells, didn't really have a plan beyond that" and "In this game I chain-betrayed every neighbour, sometimes multiple times, until they got tired of my poo poo and dogpiled me."

Rus is a nation that exists in all the ages, though they first become Vanarus in MA and then Bogarus in LA. This game is set in the Early Age, which is where there's the most weird poo poo going on, the most magic resources around and the least people to chop up into blood sacrifices. Early Age Rus has what is, in my opinion, the best selection of sacred units in the game, and absolutely some of the best summons as well. By and large everything they have is hard to kill, they have access to summoned Healers(and being able to cure afflictions is INCREDIBLY rare, I think less than a tenth of the game's nations have Healer access) and they can summon flying Holy 3 priests(important because only Pretender Gods, Disciples, Prophets and Holy 3+ units can capture thrones, so if you're trying to move to a fast win in the endgame, you need to be able to have throne-cappers in multiple places at once).

So being a game with 20+ people, Disciples of Theme World took some months to fill up, and just about every day for like a solid week, me and my team-mates(or, well, mostly me and Warbeard, our Pretender, Nyarlathotep, the other Disciple, didn't disagree much, being a reasonable sort of person) were arguing about our PG choices. Scales vs bless, dormant vs incarnate, one chassis vs another. I think the only thing we never argued about was going with Cold3 scales.

After much deliberation, and after Warbeard put his foot down on Pretender setup, I went with the Svartalf Mastersmith:

A PG/Disciple that won't screenshot properly in preview, because he's got two forms and I can't swap between them here. One is a big ol' angry Linnorm, a pop-kill deathgas serpent that's reasonably beefy, but loses a lot of casting paths, and the other is a dwarf that has all of the casting paths and a forge bonus. It felt like he'd be early-game useful for expanding and in case I needed some extra muscle, but also later-game useful for crafting.

Of course this meant that a lucky indie werewolf got an insane crit against his dragon form the first time I deployed him in combat and literally punched his head off. Because that's how Dominions works, I didn't even know there was an affliction for stumbling around headless for several rounds until you keeled over dead.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I am playing Caelum(aka The Bird People) on team The Mesopotamian Menace. They are a nation designed around 2 things: having absurdly high Air magic access and flying. They also have decent death access in EA, but beyond that their magic access is pretty pathetic. My disciple is a Red Dragon, meant to help me expand(we didn't realize an imprisoned pretender meant the disciples also wouldn't be out at the start!) and give me access to fire magic.

One fun thing about Caelum is that all of their best troops have Ice Armor and Ice Weapons. These things are stonger the colder a province is, and in a neutral temp province they are pretty meh. So I basically have to write off my best troops from the start and will be relying on my suckier troops. On the plus side my suckier troops still fly and are dirt cheap so I can at least recruit a lot of them!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Khisanth Magus posted:

One fun thing about Caelum is that all of their best troops have Ice Armor and Ice Weapons. These things are stonger the colder a province is, and in a neutral temp province they are pretty meh. So I basically have to write off my best troops from the start and will be relying on my suckier troops. On the plus side my suckier troops still fly and are dirt cheap so I can at least recruit a lot of them!

Caelum's basically got two rosters, the "oh you want to use Storm"-roster with Storm Immunity and Shock Res, and the "oh you like cold scales"-roster with Ice Armor, Ice Weapons and Frost Res. The frosty fellas are better expanders once your dominion gets spreading and/or it's winter season, but personally I found that by mid-game the shock boys are gonna matter way more since your bread and butter will be "here's a Storm Staff, Storm Power, LIVING CLOUDS, LIVING CLOUDS, LIVING CLOUDS" as a very effective solution to most problems the game can throw at you.

Usually I always leaned heavily on the Shock side of the roster since the game incentivizes most nations to go Heat rather than Cold scales, so on the offense against another nation, the ice boys tend to be disadvantaged unless you can push dom on them.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Do disciples games have less external diplomacy, since you have to agree with teammates about foreign policy?

In addition I would imagine that everyone is primed and ready with SC's (as long as you don't imprison them accidentally *cough*).

Purple, how will you be a menace in this game when you have two teammates to try and keep you in check?

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Donkringel posted:

Do disciples games have less external diplomacy, since you have to agree with teammates about foreign policy?

In addition I would imagine that everyone is primed and ready with SC's (as long as you don't imprison them accidentally *cough*).

Purple, how will you be a menace in this game when you have two teammates to try and keep you in check?

I found throughout the game that people would come to me to talk about foreign policy for the team. I would then report back their offers to my teammates and tell them "do whatever you want, I've got your back."

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Team Not-Africa

Probably won't be putting actual turns up, but thought I should at least put an overview of my team's god and general thought process.

In this game, I'm playing EA Machaka, which is a mishmash of pretty generic "Africa" things, and I'm paired with Afro Squirrel as Berytos (basically Phoenicia) and Jonjoe as C'tis (Egypt but with lizards).

Our leader for this was Scaley Fetish the Divine Glyph, which was taken awake by me, and the two disciples were Three Hungry Holes the Drakon (taken by Berytos) and Spitroast Me the Wyrm (taken by C'tis).

Our general thought process was that none of us are early game powerhouses, with Berytos especially weak early on, so we needed both a solid bless and to take as many monsters as possible to expand as fast as we could.
My sacreds were probably the "best" of our bunch, so I'd take the Pretender and rely on my sacreds to expand while the other two got monsters to help them out.
Once we had a solid chunk of land, we'd rely on our decent bless and my solid sacreds to make good gains in an early war, then transition to C'tis leading once they got the ability to summon millions of skeletons online, while Berytos raced down the blood magic tree to get their strong summons online. Berytos would take the lead in the late game with the silly scaling of blood magic and C'tis and I would have strong end games of our own with our heavy Death magic.

One thing to note for our is that Berytos gets a huuuuuuuge bonus for being on a coast. They get extra income on coastal forts and their main battle mage can only be recruited forts that are across the water. That said, they have a strong bias towards starting on a coast so it shouldn't be too much of an issue, right?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Donkringel posted:

In my experience with Disciple games, wars tend to happen earlier and everyone tends to get a helping, while in "normal" games it's standard for one or two nations to not be immediately attacked for whatever reason(not interesting territory, look scary, don't hold any thrones, sick diplomancy skills, etc.), but at the same time without clear coalition goals("oh this fucker put up Burden of Time, he's gotta go down") fights also tend to be much more one-on-one, with one disciple/PG cluster against another disciple/PG cluster with little outside interference.

In my opinion, part of it is, perversely, the larger maps. By the time people run out of expansion room, it's usually been long enough that they also feel geared to fight, and there's generally more of a feeling of the game moving faster(in the sense that everyone's advancing and growing faster), so it feels like there's more of a pressure to maintain the expansion by getting into a war against a likely-looking neighbour as soon as possible. Another part is that, having allies that can't betray you or get rid of you, people generally feel more confident about picking fights.

Also mostly in this game I've been trying to be a menace by trying to get my allies to agree to various Hellwars. It's not been particularly easy. :v:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Purple going to invade his own Pretender God's nation after getting a severe case of the Starscreams.

also i see we are going with the dormant LPer strat

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Ramc posted:

also i see we are going with the dormant LPer strat

Howareu took the scales build where he does an LP of a game with tons of people in it. Lots of content from folks talking about their own stuff in the beginning.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

PurpleXVI posted:

Of course this meant that a lucky indie werewolf got an insane crit against his dragon form the first time I deployed him in combat and literally punched his head off. Because that's how Dominions works, I didn't even know there was an affliction for stumbling around headless for several rounds until you keeled over dead.

Incredible. Also I can't wait to watch this LP finish before mine.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Val Helmethead posted:

The Mesopotamian Menace has a god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAMRTGv82Zo

edit- just noticed drain 2 on the team with both C'tis and Berytos. wowww

Ramc fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 28, 2020

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The entire nation rejoices! How are u, The Punished One, Chronicler of Tales, Beverage, has broken free!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Incarnate shitposting bless i see

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 2

What happened to turn 1? Nothing happens on turn 1 and also I hadn't decided to start recording turns until turn 2, so here we are!

Not much going on. On turn 1 we put in a bid on the villainous mercenary Victor, who we have now hired to be our companion in wicked blood crimes for 3 whole months.

Arcocephale sends an august and wise message to the entire Theme World.

Anyway, welcome to Theme World! Here's our little slice of heaven. Elephants to the South of me, barbarians to the West; here I am stuck in the middle with you. Also a very solid looking Throne province stuffed full of centaur immediately adjacent to our cap in the East. The elephant province is farmland and we will want to get our ape paws on that grain ASAP, for Lanka is a gold-poor nation in the best of times.

Our glorious military

This isn't much and I don't think it can take any of the indie provinces right now, at least not without way more risk than I'm willing to gamble on. We'll sit in Lanka and recruit a few more hitting demons.

Ah the freshness of Theme World

And here's the neighborhood. Our great friends and compatriots in the worship of CASH 4 BLOOD DOT COM Xibalba are just to the North-West. They're sneaky bat-people who love blood, death, earth and fire magic. They're also a little frail, and JBBM mod which we are running in this game nerfs bats a little bit. Up to the North-East we have CASH 4 BLOOD DOT COM's overlord nation: Mictlan. Mictlan is basically Aztecs: The Nation, and they have some solid magic diversity, national sacred summons, and the curious and slightly racist inability to build forts made of stone.

Dawn rises over Theme World, and the world is quiet. Perhaps too quiet.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

TheDemon posted:

... There are over 50 nations with a roster of Pretender gods to pick from.

Oh boy that's a dated quote!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh boy that's a dated quote!

Gotta be close to 60 nations with the latest updates

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm curious when you say that JBBM nerfs Xibalba, my impression was that JBBM buffed Xibalba, at least the EA version.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm curious when you say that JBBM nerfs Xibalba, my impression was that JBBM buffed Xibalba, at least the EA version.

I'm actually not sure how the JBBM changes to Zotz ends up working out in the end. For those reading along:

Here's three Zotz lancers from the vanilla game.

Here's the same three lancers except they've been 'merged' into one unit by the mod. When this unit takes damage it can 'reduce' to a two bat squad, and then to one bat. Over time, though, the squad can regenerate back up to it's full strength.

Definitely arguments to be made for either option!

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
The big JBBM nerfs to Xibalba is that all their blood spells are nerfed. In my personal experience the bat swarm thing works out to a buff most of the time, sometimes hilariously so, but doesn't make up for their magic being much worse.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
How are u, you absolute mad man, you are doing this to yourself again?!

Welp, this time I'm not making nearly a hundred videos as a companion LP, so I'll just lean back and let you do all the work.

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011
Man, that's a rough starting circle right there. Hopefully the throne is good at least.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 3

Not a lot going on

Welcome back to Theme World, dear readers. Turn 3, like turn 2 before it, is generally not very exciting. Let's see what we can glean from what has happened.

My illustrious teammates and co-conspirators in unpleasantness both sent their expansion armies out to conquer an adjacent province this turn. How did they do? I don't know! Apparently I didn't screen shot it. I'm going to guess that Mictlan did OK and Xibalba could have lost their whole force. A coin flip, probably.

Also, we see that Victor, the leader of the thematically appropriately named mercenary band we hired, somehow gained enough XP to join the global Hall of Fame. He now has a bonus Heroic Ability, but that's not much comfort for him I'm sure since I intend for him to die catching spears and lances meant for my apes.

Mictlan, our team leader, sent a wonderful message to the entire world! It's kind of a silly message because we are not likely to end up with a lot of cash.

To boldly go...

And we are setting out ourselves to attack the Bear Tribe warriors that occupy the province of Trisia. We recruited a couple more delightful demons and I expect to roll the province pretty hard.

And that's turn 3! :ocelot:

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Of course you're not going to end up with lots of cash while giving out :homebrew::homebrew:CRAZY AMOUNTS OF CASH 4 BLOOD:homebrew::homebrew:

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Not a big fan of playing in disciples games myself but looking forward to more updates! Seemed like mobility would be key the one I did try.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
So when a team game is won, only the team leader gets to become the new one true supreme being, right? Fluffwise, what do you think happens to the other gods on the team? Think they've earned their own minor godhood or something, or are they just inevitably backstabbed and locked away by the new Pantokrator like a lot of the Pretender flavor texts imply? :v:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

ousire posted:

So when a team game is won, only the team leader gets to become the new one true supreme being, right? Fluffwise, what do you think happens to the other gods on the team? Think they've earned their own minor godhood or something, or are they just inevitably backstabbed and locked away by the new Pantokrator like a lot of the Pretender flavor texts imply? :v:

Both, they get to be the right and left hand of the new Pantokrator until they get uppity and banished, or they just get eaten by Doom Horrors.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Doomed to eternal middle management handling water gem production or longdead quality assurance.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
another day acting as viceroy to God in the elemental spirit factory. everyone keeps praying to gently caress the water queens. buddy, they wont even let me gently caress them

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

ousire posted:

I think they get imprisoned after a few millenia. Pantokrators are not reasonable deities.

But hey, imprisoned > Tartarus!

Just means you can take a crack at the next game of Pantakrator, and maybe you have a few extra levels of magic you empowered yourself in last time.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Yeah, it's basically the same thing as happens to prophets and powerful servants of any other pantokrator: they get a cushy job for a few millennia, then get banished over some stupid bullshit.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBKJGQiHRJM

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 4

Welcome back to Theme World, friends. Let's look at what happened on turn 4!

Looks like it's just a few battles. Both of our teammates fought another battle against indies, so it seems their expansion parties weren't wiped out last turn. What we're really interested in is how our first battle went!

Since we're finally fighting it's time to review some of the units in the field. Our lovely starting army is made up of these fine animals:

Atavi infantry are not great! No armor to speak of, bad morale, etc. They are stealthy, so that can be useful occasionally. Markata seem even worse, but I find them to actually be far more useful. Markata are absolutely tiny, you can pack 6 of them into a combat square, and they have a fantastic Defense score for their cost. As long as you can keep their morale up and stop them from fleeing they make very fine blockers and arrow-catchers.

Our mercenary, Victor, one of the great heroes of the world, brings a handful of Villains along:

They suck!

Our little expansion army is led by a generic ape commander and is accompanied by our first and most basic mage-priest:

Blood 1, Holy 1, a simple cheap researcher and blood hunter. He's coming along so he can cast Bless on our cap-only recruitable sacreds!

Anusaras are beefy and very fast, but have very little in defense. I recruited a couple because I ran out of Resources to recruit....

Palankashas! Palankashas are certainly not the best recruitable sacreds in the game, but they're extremely solid and good. They're strong, have beefy HP, good protection and defense, and Chaos Power (1) will boost their Attack, Defense, and Strength by +1 point for each Turmoil scale in the province. Our mixed +stats bless will make them even better.

For...uh, for blood!

Atavi infantry are out front to take the initial hits from the Bear Tribe barbarians. You can see Victor's Villains off on the North end of the battlefield where they're positioned to run into any enemies who may try to flank our apes and kill our commanders.

:bisonyes:

That was an rear end-load of barbarians, so I'm pretty pleased with the result. I didn't record the orders for next turn, so it will be a surprise!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Good ol' Palankhashas, I see they are still lean mean murder machines.

What does the small red dots under some of your demons mean?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Angry Lobster posted:

Good ol' Palankhashas, I see they are still lean mean murder machines.

What does the small red dots under some of your demons mean?

That's a health bar! A very crude health bar. When you toggle the battle map option that displays combat squares + nation colors (so yellow under my guys, the color of Lanka, and grey for the indies) it will also display the health bar.

The bigger the red bar the more HP a unit is missing. No red bar = uninjured.

e: yes! vvvv

How are u fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 4, 2020

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Green bars are for poison and blue bars are for stamina/fatigue damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

How are u posted:

That's a health bar! A very crude health bar. When you toggle the battle map option that displays combat squares + nation colors (so yellow under my guys, the color of Lanka, and grey for the indies) it will also display the health bar.

The bigger the red bar the more HP a unit is missing. No red bar = uninjured.

e: yes! vvvv

I see, maybe it's less vissually cluttered than the regular health bars of the previous games, I'm still really not up to date with Dom 5.

I'm really looking forward to see you go through the initial expansion phase, I'm really curious to know how this game will shape up.