Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
If you accidentally bump armies with one of your teammates will the two fight? Or is the game smart enough to prevent friendly fire like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

ousire posted:

If you accidentally bump armies with one of your teammates will the two fight? Or is the game smart enough to prevent friendly fire like that?

You can freely move through your allies' territories, so no friendly fire.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I hope that means there are some ridiculously large battles at some point.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

These teams seem...brutal. Mesopotamia in particular just seems rough from day 1.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 5

Turn 5 opens with four battle reports, and nothing more. Let's take a look!

First up is our own expansion battle:

We crush the independent defenders of Utonshire province, taking it for the glory of Lanka! (and our pretender-god overlord obviously)

Now that's how you expand!

Mictlan and Xibalba each battle some indies, and again I didn't document it because who the hell knows why.

The 4th battle is a scouted battle report from the first neighbor we've encountered: Hinnom!

Semitic giants based on Biblical myth. The Early Age precursors of the Late Age nation of Gath, which I played in my Dominions 4 LP.

Medium-size giants fight Deer Tribe barbarians. The Hinnomites even have enormous chariots which they use to great effect. They destroy the Deer Tribe, but do take significant casualties considering the army size.

The Deer Tribe don't stand a chance against those war machines.

Since we've encountered our first neighbor, let's take a look at the neighborhood.

Hinnom is -far- too close for my own comfort. This seems like it's going to be a crowded map. Sad! This is the view to the South-East.

Up to the North-East, where Mictlan is expanding, we have bumped into Rus, a member of Team Skyrim. Looks like we have Skyrim to the East and Team Mesopotamian Menace to our South and South-East.

OK. We have neighbors. Onward, blood!

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Tulip posted:

These teams seem...brutal. Mesopotamia in particular just seems rough from day 1.

Our only chance is good diplomacy! What could go wrong?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Tulip posted:

Perun started up a disciples game on YouTube where his team is all EA water Nations designed for maximum badgering (and a no popkill therados, so no cool ghost hoplites)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Val Helmethead posted:

Our only chance is good diplomacy! What could go wrong?

I'm falling for :thejoke: here, but surely this could only mean ?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Is the game winner text different in disciples games? Just realized I have never seen a disciples game winning text.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Donkringel posted:

Perun started up a disciples game on YouTube where his team is all EA water Nations designed for maximum badgering (and a no popkill therados, so no cool ghost hoplites)

Frankly I was disappointed that they weren't on Team Greece.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Rappaport posted:

I'm falling for :thejoke: here, but surely this could only mean ?

The Ur approach to diplomacy. As the head of Team Mesopotamia our negotiations are as follows:

- People message me about what my team-mates are doing, asking for NAPs.
- I say "I'll go over it with my buddy, but we're probably good."
- I tell my buddy "So-and-so was asking about you. Do whatever you want, I've got your back."
- They know I don't really have their back because I'm Ur and Ur sucks.
- Hopefully nobody else realizes this and attacks us/me.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 6

Turn 6's report is no more than two Mictlan battle reports and one of our own. Let's take a look!

Mictlan utilizes cap-only Eagle Warriors in a battle against some generic indies.

They don't have any armor, but can fly when blessed and are pretty versatile troops to have available.

Another army made up of Mictlan warriors, definitely Mictlan's starting army, successfully conquers some Jade Amazons.

Mictlan will eventually be able to recruit these Jade Sorceresses from this province. They're very helpful if you don't have native access to Nature or Water magic. Mictlan has plenty of both, though.

Great to see Mictlan expanding! We get word from Xibalba that their expansion army was destroyed this turn. The bats can be a little finnicky in expansion, but hopefully this isn't a big setback.

In our own battle we face some generic indies with heavy cavalry.

It's not a small force. Heavy Cavalry and Barbarians are two of the most dangerous types of indies. Fortunately we are prepared.

We set our squad of Markata up front, intending to soak the Lance attacks that make Heavy Cavalry so dangerous.

A Lance is a melee weapon that gets 1 use per battle. It gives a huge damage bonus, and can really ruin the day of even elite troops and Sacreds. Here, they obliterate the Markata.

The Markata flee, but now our blessed Palankashas have engaged the front line. With the Lance attack spent the Heavy Cavalry are -far- less dangerous, and we smash em good.

The world as we know it:

As you can see we took the province of Palame, and our starting army marches onward North-East towards Gemer! We're recruiting Palankasha for a second expansion army, and hopefully we'll be ready to send it out next turn.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
A Lanka LP you say?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Val Helmethead posted:

The Ur approach to diplomacy. As the head of Team Mesopotamia our negotiations are as follows:

- People message me about what my team-mates are doing, asking for NAPs.
- I say "I'll go over it with my buddy, but we're probably good."
- I tell my buddy "So-and-so was asking about you. Do whatever you want, I've got your back."
- They know I don't really have their back because I'm Ur and Ur sucks.
- Hopefully nobody else realizes this and attacks us/me.

To improve matters the player for Hinnom was not very active and started chain staling shortly after the game started and I did half of his turns until we got a sub a bit further in.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I hope we get to see the TheDemon's style of diplomacy aka murder everything with extreme prejudice.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Angry Lobster posted:

I hope we get to see the TheDemon's style of diplomacy aka murder everything with extreme prejudice.

Please, no. I still have nightmares.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lBRf0UgjFc

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Angry Lobster posted:

Is that the one where the dude used a picture of a crazy guy in a jungle to represent him in that one LP

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I was actually a very active negotiator in most of my games. The propaganda campaign in all the Let's Plays worked too well.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

TheDemon posted:

I was actually a very active negotiator in most of my games. The propaganda campaign in all the Let's Plays worked too well.

that LP where you were Lanka and Lilli still had a good reputation has left a truly massive mark on the forums

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Tulip posted:

that LP where you were Lanka and Lilli still had a good reputation has left a truly massive mark on the forums

I thought Lilli's reputation was fine, beyond the sudden burnout back then? Wasn't it modpud who was the Dominions player whose reputation tanked after it was discovered they were cheating?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

TheDemon posted:

I was joking, but yes, that LP left you with a scary reputation. You can blame builds character for his fine comedic write ups.

Ramc posted:

Is that the one where the dude used a picture of a crazy guy in a jungle to represent him in that one LP

Lili's Dom3 LP in the archive that used pictures of actors from Lost.

Donkringel posted:

I thought Lilli's reputation was fine, beyond the sudden burnout back then? Wasn't it modpud who was the Dominions player whose reputation tanked after it was discovered they were cheating?

What? I don't know that one.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

TheDemon posted:

Miss you.

Angry Lobster posted:

I was joking, but yes, that LP left you with a scary reputation. You can blame builds character for his accurate representations of the state of the world and the actors in it.

:respek:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

What? I don't know that one.

Modpuds original LP, she changed her name to Garth Ferengi.

If I'm saying anything wrong, someone please correct me.

From my memory.
Modpud used to be a heavy Dom4 modder with a number of popular mods. She began hosting Dom4 games. Since she was hosting she was able to get access to other players turn files and view/change orders and she also downloaded the Dom Maps and looked for hidden sites offline. In addition, some of her mods were customized to give discounts on specific Nations she chose to play as. This was eventually discovered and she left the community. Around the same time it was discovered that she was cheating in a MechWarrior game too (hit scanning or something like that, unsure of details.)

This topic was discussed either in the main dominions topic or possibly RAMC's let's play. I just piped up because I think folks are confusing Lilli with modpud, since both are women Dominions modders, so it can cause confusion. If there is something else that hurt Lilli's reputation im unaware (besides her large burnout during her let's play that demon and builds participated in).

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

Lili's Dom3 LP in the archive that used pictures of actors from Lost.

That picture they used back then is the mindset I put myself in now when "negotiating" and doing "diplomacy" as Pan.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Ramc posted:

That picture they used back then is the mindset I put myself in now when "negotiating" and doing "diplomacy" as Pan.

hahaha yes!!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Ramc posted:

hahaha yes!!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
How Are U: Should the rest of us explain some cool stuff about our nations or will you give people the rundown on the very cool nations you'll be failing to conquer(i.e. my team's) when you get there?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

PurpleXVI posted:

How Are U: Should the rest of us explain some cool stuff about our nations or will you give people the rundown on the very cool nations you'll be failing to conquer(i.e. my team's) when you get there?

wow spoilers!

You're more than welcome to :justpost: about your nations. Fact of the matter is: in a game this large (both in players and in game "geography") it's ~very likely~ that there will be some nations and teams with which Team Blood will have little direct interaction.

Plus, the fans demand content.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

How are u posted:

wow spoilers!

You're more than welcome to :justpost: about your nations. Fact of the matter is: in a game this large (both in players and in game "geography") it's ~very likely~ that there will be some nations and teams with which Team Blood will have little direct interaction.

Plus, the fans demand content.

I would also be curious to see how you (and the various other players) view the other players in the game and if it changes any of your strategy.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

builds character posted:

I would also be curious to see how you (and the various other players) view the other players in the game and if it changes any of your strategy.

time to bust out those star ratings again

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

builds character posted:

I mean, without considering who's behind the wheel of the various nations(since there are certainly people who have pantsed me more than once and whom I have extra respect for) and without considering what I know about how the game goes, this is how I'd rate the teams I'm not on:

TEAM GREECE

From personal experience I've been bullied by, and bullied with, Arcoscephale multiple times, I have a lot of respect for them.

Everyone seems terrified of Pan, but they usually meet ignominous ends despite it.

Mekone seems to strangely enough always be weaker than their stats would indicate and personally I can't play them at all without falling prey to the lure of MEGATHUG KRYPTES overruling all other strategy(no, no, two copper arms so he can DUAL WIELD Midget Mashers is genius, I won't hear any disagreement).

5/10 for one really strong member and two members I don't believe in.

TEAM NOT-AFRICA

EA C'tis can be somewhat scary, while Berytos and Machaka go in the "usually dead in the first stages of the game"-pile. Machaka in particular seems to really suffer in both EA and MA and seem to get picked even more rarely than loving Eriu, which should tell you a lot about how people perceive them as fun/powerful to play.

3/10 probably gonna be one of the first to die.

TEAM MESOPOTAMIAN MENACE

Caelum is incredibly scary as soon as they hit Evo 5 and Conj 7, sufficient air gems are the only limiter for their power levels as they spam Storm and Living Clouds in every battle(or, better yet, have someone craft them a Staff of Storms and then spam Thunderstrike instead).

Hinnom is real goddamn cool, they've got powerful mages, healers, immensely strong troops and powerful blood. Their only real weakness is that their sacreds and best mages cause unrest and popkill.

Ur is... ahahahah. Look. Ur and Uruk are just cursed nations. Maybe they were designed on a native american burial ground. I feel sorry for Biggs that he got stuck with them again, but everyone's gotta have a schtick.

8/10 two out of three members are really powerful. I believe in them.

TEAM HUMAN EXTERMINATION FRONT

Fomoria feels like another one of those "strong on paper, usually out of the fight early"-nations. Something unfortunate always tends to befall them. Aquatic giants could allow them some tactical maneuverability and options that might give them an advantage.

I've never played Abysia in MP myself, but everyone seems to curse them out as a terrible nation to play. Their main weakness, to me, is being a bit one-note and confused about what to do if someone is fire resistant.

Agartha just needs sufficient fire gems to spam Magma Children in Heat 3 dominion and they will own the early game until someone produces a good counter for it.

6/10 No clear super nations but also no clear loser nations.

TEAM BLOOD

Mictlan is real scary if they get the ball rolling on grey bat goo scenarios and are probably one of the best blood nations in EA and LA, to my mind.

Xibalba has flying units, and the curse of Attack Rear will never not be scary, especially with JBBM buffs to their line troops. Their national summons and spells overlap a good deal with Mictlan's, but EA Xib can just straight up recruit Onaqui, which is loving rad.

Lanka... I will never not respect sufficient volumes of Bandar Archers. Those fuckers are SCARY. Plus the monkey nations in general get some very cool national summons.

9/10 one of the biggest threats around.

TEAM HITLER

Elves are strong, real strong. This is why they won't win, because they're so obviously powerful they'll probably be dogpiled out of the game OR they'll diplomance themselves right into victory.

In general elves feel very binary in that way, both playing as them and against them. They either get hard countered or they just scythe through everything zero challenge.

5/10 the halfway point between instant win and instant lose.

TEAM ERMOR

Now this... this is a decent alliance.

I don't feel strongly about Sauro, but I've seen them do damage before.

Marverni is limited only by the strength of their hellbless for their millions upon millions of pigs, and if they don't drown the world in pigs, I will be so, so disappointed. While they don't have great path access or ritual casting ability, they're extremely capable communion casters thanks to their very cheap sequani stargazers that also make for great research chumps in general.

Ermor is, in my opinion, probably the strongest EA nation. Like, I never see them not at least make it to the midgame. I never see them not being at least a temporarily scary competitor. And their Equites means that even with the blandest of bless, or no bless at all, they can expand powerfully, and they don't need an awake expander to back that up, thus allowing them to have both a decent bless and decent scales. Also they've got healers and all sorts of other great poo poo.

10/10 most dangerous alliance.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Disciple of Scaley Fetish, Spitroast Me:

Pretty standard big scary god for expanding and yeeting enemy rushes into the stratosphere. Had the bright idea to expand into water with it since I *assumed* we'd start near some water with burritos on our team, but alas.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Turn 5 of Not Africa

I don't plan to do full updates or anything but I figured I'd post some of our screenshots from our team chat to demonstrate where we're at, for context:

Our expansion is going pretty well! However I am next to two members of team Hitler. Fuckin' Elves.

Next screenshot turn 8, a very special turn.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 10, 2020

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
LP dead? No! Just How are u going on a long camping trip. I'm going to post a turn a day for a few days to get us back into the ~Blood Groove~

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 7

Welcome to turn 7! Messages for the turn show that Xibalba scrapped up enough soldiers to make another go at expansion, and Mictlan continues to march along as well. As for ourselves, last turn we were sending the remnants of our initial expansion army into the province of Gemer. We also had two random events, but I didn't document them so they were inconsequential (a Witch curses a unit in a province, or you get 3 water gems, or +1 Misfortune because somebody angered something, etc).

Some Hoplite assholes used to rule Gemer. No longer! Our demons are shaded red because they are under the influence of the Blood Surge component of our Bless. Blood Surge gives a small stat bonus (+attack, +strength, +1 point of Reinvigoration) when the Blessed unit kills an enemy. It's a phenomenal and cheap expansion Bless, though it tends to lose its value as the game goes on.

We do very well, but lose the last of Victor's Villains. gently caress those cowardly bandits.

Well, that wasn't very exciting. What's next?

We've finally recruited enough Palankasha in our capitol to safely (hopefully) march on the Elephant riding people who inhabit Holoma. Elephants can be very nasty to expansion parties, but our highly skilled and extremely strong Palankasha should mulch them. We will also 'ping' the Throne province in our cap circle, with Victor himself I believe.

You can see that we're also moving our expansion army down into Utonshire, moving South towards more indies. For some reason I didn't record it, but IIRC we've run out of expansion room to the North. It's a little crowded here in Theme World!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

How are u posted:

You can see that we're also moving our expansion army down into Utonshire, moving South towards more indies. For some reason I didn't record it, but IIRC we've run out of expansion room to the North. It's a little crowded here in Theme World!

Far as we could tell from our scouting, most teams generated in a roughly triangular shape, except there'd usually be another nation's "triangle" poking in through one of the sides and right into the middle. For instance, we had myself and Niefel on the western side of our triangle, Rus on the eastern, and Agartha in the middle, neatly pinned between us.

Obviously the chants of "BLOOD, BLOOD, BLOOD." started up even before we finished clearing our indies.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

PurpleXVI posted:

Far as we could tell from our scouting, most teams generated in a roughly triangular shape, except there'd usually be another nation's "triangle" poking in through one of the sides and right into the middle. For instance, we had myself and Niefel on the western side of our triangle, Rus on the eastern, and Agartha in the middle, neatly pinned between us.

Obviously the chants of "BLOOD, BLOOD, BLOOD." started up even before we finished clearing our indies.

It heartens me that Team Skyrim was so excited to meet their friendly, virtuous neighbors.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

More reading material is always welcome.

How are u posted:

It heartens me that Team Skyrim was so excited to meet their friendly, virtuous neighbors.

Why do I hear boss music while reading this?

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Team Hellen is Other People Turn 7

Here's the first turn I had recorded. To start off, let's see how my team's "Take three awake expanders" strategy has worked out until now:

It's worked out... pretty well! I have ten provinces, Mekone has ten provinces and Pangaea has eleven provinces, which seems pretty respectable for turn seven. We have not yet failed a single expansion attempt.

That said, there were a few setbacks.

Pangaea and Mekone both ended up with fine starts, but I... didn't. I started with three province connections: one leading to a Throne, one leading to 80 wolf tribe and one leading to heavy cavalry. Thankfully, I started with Enchantment 2 in random start research, allowing Crazy Bird Lady to immediately cast Flying Shield and lead my starting army to punch through the heavy cavalry. After that the wind walking Wind Riders have been able to make up for the lack of province connections with their 28 map move. If I hadn't taken an awake expander though, I think I would have been totally out of the running for the rest of the game.

The other setback is that we neighbour Team Elf. They seem relatively friendly, but border negotiations were still pretty tense because they're notorious early-game powerhouses. My bless is pretty much fine-tuned to counter mid-game Elf battlemagic, but if they invaded right now I could still be in a pinch, so I don't want to offend them. As you can see, Black Peaks has a gigantic gold mine on it, so I didn't want to give it up. The Elves wouldn't budge on Black Alps though, and I had to cede that to them. This means that the huge gold bonus from Black Peaks is being wasted because I don't have any connections, and the only connection is through the Throne next to my capital. As you can see from the overview image though, I'm planning to do just that this turn. Even without taking it, I can tell that it's the Throne of Winter. I'm also starting a fort on Black Peaks this turn, because it's really rich and in a nice location strategically.

It's an alright throne, I guess. The mages get me into death magic, the cold helps with the income penalties from Heat 3 and a gem is a gem. Unfortunately the Mages of Winter only have D1 and are slow to recruit, so no big death magic in my immediate future. How do I know that it's the Throne of Winter? Why, because it spawned a Frozen Lands on my capital really early on!

This is actually really good, because it counteracts my Heat 3 dominion and gives me some extra income from ideal temp scales. Plus a water gem! This would really have sucked if I were Abysia or something though.

I hit Alteration 2 this turn, enough for Crazy Bird Lady to Stoneskin and Mirror Image herself and become truly resilient, which will help her deal with the Throne of Winter. The events are minor bad events that rob me of like 60 gold. Annoying.

The first chunk of my Throne taking forces finally deals with those 80 bear tribe in my cap circle. Crazy Bird Lady is wearing a Blacksteel Plate to bolster her lacking body protection, making her pretty robust. A single hit of profuse bleeding will still instantly kill her though, so expansion is still somewhat risky.

Pangaea takes our first Throne! May we have many more Thrones in the future.

This is only a level 1 Throne sadly, but +2 strength is pretty ok at least.

Pangaea takes our second Throne! Drakons are extremely real.

This is kind of a nice throne. More nature gems is always a plus, and the animal awe could be useful against Lanka or Marverni I suppose.

Pangaea destroying some heavy cavalry like it isn't a big deal.

Mekone showing some indies who the real boss hoplites are.

Pinging the Throne of Winter, the defenders don't seem too too bad. Heavy cavalry isn't the best for me, but at least the mages aren't too bad: they have two D2 mages with some gems and that's about it.

Pinging with a Mystic was a bit risky, but I was desperate to get info on this Throne before I attacked and he was nearby. He even managed to retreat... back to Black Peaks, which has no lab. He's site searching there this turn, but he only has F1S1 so I don't expect him to find much.

My set-up for the Throne battle. It's only a level one Throne, so this should probably work. Probably. The mercenary archers I was on the fence about, but I did eventually decide to bring them. Hopefully the heavy cavalry won't kill them and hp rout my actually good units!

Research is going ok so far, considering how early it is. My next targets are Thaum 1 for communions, Conj 3 for baby elementals and earth/phoenix power and then Ench 4 for Strength of Giants and Flaming Arrows. Those buffs will make my cool Peltasts kick serious rear end.

So ends turn seven! Things are going well so far, but the spectre of Elves and also Sauromatia and friends loom on the horizon. Will my Throne taking gambit succeed, or will I lose my pretender, hundreds of gold and my whole army? Tune in next time to find out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Wow, must be nice to have such flawless and robust expansion. Team Blood could really have used some awake Disciples.