Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 8

Oh boy, turn 8! Rejoice, friends, for Team Blood's Disciples have arrived! Jag You Wah the jaguar is the ruler of Xibalba, while No, Blood for Oil! is the wise and forthright leader of the Lankan apes.

The Most Important Follower :smug:

No, Blood for Oil! is a Raksharani, and pretty badass. She is pretty clearly not built to be a physical combatant, but rather an extremely potent battle mage who will -eventually- be able to drop some seriously nasty spells effortlessly. For now, however, her job is going to be making up the bulk of our Research and to sit in the Lab. For real though, we're struggling to find the gold to recruit expansion soldiers and hopefully build some infrastructure soon. No, Blood for Oil! is going to spend a good while reading books.

We see that Xibalba has fought another battle against indies, but Mictlan has not. Mictlan has probably gotten boxed in by Rus from Team Skyrim, and needs to spend turns moving towards some other independent province.

We have two battle reports, though, so let's take a look! First we 'pinged' the Throne province of Melma adjacent to our capitol.

:lol: eat poo poo Victor. Thus ends Victor's Villains.

The Vine Men and various humans are immaterial, but 66 Centaur Warriors is a -very- solid fighting force at this stage of the game. We will not be attempting to take this province for a while yet.

Heavy Cavalry, but much better in about every way.

There's also a few of these guys, who are very flavorful indies that hardly ever appear in games.

The final battle of the turn took place in Holoma, the province adjacent to our capitol that contained some lovely humans and a couple of elephants.

mother fucker :eyepop:

Yeah that's way more elephants than I would have expected. This may not go well...

The "good" part about elephants is they are much quicker than men, and thus can be counted on to rush across the field and engage whatever you've sent on their own without much backup.

Our Palankasha are super strong and elephants have very poor Defense, so our demons are just hacking elephants to death left and right. However, the elephants trample the hell out of us before their morale breaks and they flee, just in time for the human Heavy Infantry and Slingers to engage our broken and bleeding line.

The gods-damned humans put up just enough of a fight to break our own morale, and Lankan forces flee the field. Cowards! :argh:

We took a hard hit, and it's a lovely loss. Thankfully the elephants are almost all gone and we should -hopefully- take the province next turn. We pull the survivors of the battle together and send them back to Holoma.

Hope they're enough!

How are u fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Jeeeez, that is way too many elephants

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

OOrochi posted:

Jeeeez, that is way too many elephants

Like every Cool and Good Dominions player I watch the battle play out before looking at the final report, so I think I did :eyepop: IRL at the beginning of that one. Still, the Palankasha did real work.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Team Hellen Is Other People Turn 8

I didn't record turn 8. So you'll have to wait until next to to see the results of the battle for the Throne of Winter!

There is some serious diplo stuff going down though.

In which we learn the elven bless, and also discover that Team Elf and Team Africa are fighting each other. I'm reluctant to take sides this early, before we're even done with expansion.

Discord DMs posted:

CrazyJazzyJ/Vanheim: Just fyi the reason we're so hostile with JonJoe is because he thought it would be a good idea to try and expand as close to our capitals as possible and try to build temples around us.
Arcvasti: yeah that's a JonJoe alright
Arcvasti: did you get a look at team africa's bless
CrazyJazzyJ/Vanheim:
Arcvasti oh that's a bit disappointing actually
Arcvasti: was expecting something more hellish
CrazyJazzyJ/Vanheim: Yeah
Arcvasti: my gut feeling is that you guys wouldn't have any trouble taking them down with superior might of elves, but also with six players involved early wars can get really ugly and drawn out
Arcvasti: so I guess probably use caution

I get the Team Africa bless from the elves, without committing to anything. Diplomacy!

This new bless information is helpful, because all I had going for me beforehand was epithet analysis. Since this post is pretty short I'll just add on the epithet stuff:

Team Ermor:
-domscore >= 7
-astral >= 4
-fire >= 4
-earth >= 4
-order scales >= 2
Team Skyrim:
-domscore >= 4
-female pretender
-water >= 4
-nature >= 4
Team Africa:
-domscore >= 6
-water >= 3
-earth >= 3
-astral >= 4
-drain >= 2
-order >= 1
Team Agartha:
-domscore >= 4
-immobile
-nature >= 4
-earth >= 4
Team Blood:
-domscore >= 4
-astral >= 4
-luck == 3
-water >= 2
-I think also probably some fire?? .epithets doesn't list "X who stole the fire" so it must be a new one
Team Elves:
-domscore >= 6
-nature >= 4
-astral >= 4
-I think also probably some water?? once again "fountain of all waters" isn't listed
-everlasting father sounds like either earth or astral with a male chassis, but also isn't listed
Team Mesopotamia:
-domscore >= 4
-"master of men's fates" sounds like astral, maybe with some order. Not listed though.
-astral >= 4
-blood >= 1

Guesses about these epithets:
-ermor has a statue of war or order probably, I'd guess with good scales, dormancy and twist fate
-team skyrim almost certainly has the volla of the beautiful forest and could have gone quickness + regen
-no idea what on earth machaka is trying to do.
-agartha probably has a monolith or golden pillar, likely with fsr + regen or something similar
-mictlan might have gone quickness + twist fate on an oracle, which would be concerning if true
-elves might have either a fountain or a monolith and likely have twist fate. they might also have quickness
-no idea what on earth ur is doing either

Some of these guesses have been confirmed: I'm still not sure what machaka's bless is supposed to accomplish and elves definitely have twist fate, although they do lack quickness.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I always admire folks who do epithet analysis, but I gotta admit that it's way too much powerful brain work for me. Much easier to Scout The World :hist101:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
To be clear the elf bless here is total and utter godshite - it has nothing to do with what elves do best (serious amount of sudden murder) - and means we here on team not-Africa actually have a fighting chance!

Of course, it's still just a 'chance', because elves are stupid and none of our nations here on team Africa are good at early game fights, even with our modestly appreciative bless.

Using a combination of knowledge of their bless and also epithet stuff my team actually recreated what we believed the elf team's god to be:

Of course with scales left mostly unknown at this time.

This ended up being wrong - they used a less point efficient chassis - but I won't say what for now.

Turn 7

Before we get to turn 8, here's turn 7:

The elves mentioning I expanded close to their capitals? Yeah, we had no freaking clue at the time, we thought 223 was Van's, which was way off. But there was a total breakdown in diplomacy because they wanted a really short NAP that basically said "we want to finish expanding and then elf you" and honestly we would just rather the aggression be immediate.

For those unclear on the exact nature of elven evil, they're really good at sneaking around - basically impossible to catch unless you predict their movement. So what they can do is infiltrate every province you own and attack them simultaneously to start a war, essentially ending it on the same turn. I was not going to let this happen.

As for the temple, it's because the elves spread horrible cold dominion. Lizards have a little trait called "cold blooded" which gives them a massive penalty to their fatigue gain in battle - the more cold, the worse the penalty. Given that fighting elves was looking inevitable, I had no choice but to slap down a temple.

Also, you can't see it, but the little dude in the forest province next to where my Wyrm is? I'd basically rushed building a fort there - due to complete in 2 turns.

Turn 8

The elves attack! 1 turn until fort completion and Vanheim's disciple is sitting right on my doorstep.

That's this fucker*:

*paths not to scale

It has fear 10, and berserking 7. That means +7 to its protection 13 in combat, for a total of 20, along with +7 to attack and damage on its singular bite attack. It's a scary, scary boy.

However, the scariest part about it is that in combat it comes with 1d6 smaller versions of itself, all of which also berserk and have fear. Fighting this thing to keep my fort is going to be a huge gamble - even if it rolled a 1 on the number of extra wolves, my god can't take it alone.

So I'm required to make a dubious purchase:

Channeling my inner Kitfox, this is approximate "all of my gold" worth of province defense, and it consists of a mass of extremely lovely units. However, it's the only thing I can back up my Wyrm with, and so long as the wolf doesn't roll a max of 6 on its spawn, I should win this fight more often than I lose. If it rolls a 3 or less, winning is all but guaranteed.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
How good is province defense in Dominions 5? In previous LPs of 3 and 4, it seemed like PD generally ranged from "utterly worthless" to "mildly inconveniencing" and basically was just for dealing with unrest and random event attacks, and to make sure the enemy couldn't capture the province with, like, just a single scout.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

ousire posted:

How good is province defense in Dominions 5? In previous LPs of 3 and 4, it seemed like PD generally ranged from "utterly worthless" to "mildly inconveniencing" and basically was just for dealing with unrest and random event attacks, and to make sure the enemy couldn't capture the province with, like, just a single scout.

Some province defense commanders, like the Vanherse or the EA T'ien C'hi Noble, are actually pretty good at repelling low-effort stuff. In general, being able to repel low-effort stuff is good, so a couple bird cannnons can't take like eight provinces.

Big province defense investments have the advantage of being essentially instant, you can move them from wherever to wherever instantly. This can be really good, like in the example here.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

It's hard to see from LPs how PD kind of 'works' at a strategic level, but basically it's a very sliding scale with "absolute minimum" basically always happening just because it's 1 gold and that's a bargain for the intel on invading armies, a couple different intermediate levels of "warding off minimal attacks/unrest," and then "Kitfoxian" being used by Kitfox.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

That is a LOT of low morale PD

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
PD is definitely one of those tools that is usually not useful (can even be detrimental) but should be applied with prejudice when the time is right.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
You can also do "PD Traps" where you lure an enemy army into what seems like a small army(or undefended province) and then have them have to deal with a more significant force than expected. The PD you get in a province also depends on the indies that were there when you fought it, so some provinces can have rather surprisingly strong PD, like a lizard province that lets you have a ton of the basic c'tis slave lizards that are surprisingly good, or heavy cavalry provinces. Throw up like 50 PD on a heavy cav province and someone could run into a rather nasty surprise.

This is mainly done either because you have a ton of money and no way to really spend it, or as a last ditch effort to fend off an invader.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is Kitfox's rationale for heavy investment in PD everywhere?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Catpetter1981 posted:

What is Kitfox's rationale for heavy investment in PD everywhere?

Why not?

e: let's add more content than that!

Here's some great indie poptypes to use in PD traps:
- Barbarians are low morale but hit like loving dumptrucks :killdozer:
- Heavy Cav, as mentioned above. Can't go wrong!
- Raptor Clan Caelans can be a nasty, alpha-striking surprise if you pump that PD up, baby!
- Shark Tribe tritons, my personal favorite. These guys gently caress.

How are u fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 20, 2020

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

ousire posted:

So in my opinion there are really four factors to it.

Firstly you always want at least 1 point, so you know what just took your prov, for when you hit back.

Secondly, you usually want ten points, since that's where it passively reduces unrest, keeping your income beneficial since even if nothing else does it, rando events will always give you a bit of unrest. Eleven points also prevents a semi-common event where the pop just goes "we're tired of your poo poo!" and instantly rebels. One rando actual unit or 11 points of PD prevents it happening.

Thirdly, if the pop type is good, you may want up to fifteen points. There are a lot of garbo PD types, like most of the something-tribes, slingers, etc. but if the pop has cataphracts, heavy cav, heavy inf or war elephants, fifteen points is usually the point where they can ward off a lot of indie attacks on their own. If it's an early war, or your enemy is using a bunch of "light" thugs to hit you(like a single elf commander with some simple gear, etc.), it may be worth investing up to 20, because at that point your PD gets a second commander, preventing them from getting insta-routed if the first one gets owned by a stray arrow, and on occasion it's sufficient to embarrass an attacking enemy. 15+ points is also where the PD starts auto-patrolling and has a small chance of catching enemy sneakers.

Fourthly, while indie attacks are usually rare, some globals, like Niefel's Illwinter, make them a lot more common, and at that point PD starts becoming more worthwhile since it prevents you having to race around armies to recap provinces who, at that stage of the game, usually have better work to do actually killing enemies.

This is my extremely pro analysis.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

So in my opinion there are really four factors to it.

Firstly you always want at least 1 point, so you know what just took your prov, for when you hit back.

Secondly, you usually want ten points, since that's where it passively reduces unrest, keeping your income beneficial since even if nothing else does it, rando events will always give you a bit of unrest. Eleven points also prevents a semi-common event where the pop just goes "we're tired of your poo poo!" and instantly rebels. One rando actual unit or 11 points of PD prevents it happening.

Thirdly, if the pop type is good, you may want up to fifteen points. There are a lot of garbo PD types, like most of the something-tribes, slingers, etc. but if the pop has cataphracts, heavy cav, heavy inf or war elephants, fifteen points is usually the point where they can ward off a lot of indie attacks on their own. If it's an early war, or your enemy is using a bunch of "light" thugs to hit you(like a single elf commander with some simple gear, etc.), it may be worth investing up to 20, because at that point your PD gets a second commander, preventing them from getting insta-routed if the first one gets owned by a stray arrow, and on occasion it's sufficient to embarrass an attacking enemy. 15+ points is also where the PD starts auto-patrolling and has a small chance of catching enemy sneakers.

Fourthly, while indie attacks are usually rare, some globals, like Niefel's Illwinter, make them a lot more common, and at that point PD starts becoming more worthwhile since it prevents you having to race around armies to recap provinces who, at that stage of the game, usually have better work to do actually killing enemies.

This is my extremely pro analysis.

I'll add that 6 points is usually enough to ward off some of the lighter bad events - usually indie attack - because one of the event triggers looks at the amount of either PD or actual troops you have in a province, and having troops hanging out in a province just to defend it from a random villain attack is just wasting money on upkeep.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
You are all missing an important point.

That sweet sweet feeling when an investment of 15 gold can cause a larger loss of gold amongst your enemy because of friendly fire or some heroic Mook/commander murdering a few guys before getting stabbed in the face.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Technowolf posted:

I'll add that 6 points is usually enough to ward off some of the lighter bad events - usually indie attack - because one of the event triggers looks at the amount of either PD or actual troops you have in a province, and having troops hanging out in a province just to defend it from a random villain attack is just wasting money on upkeep.

I think about 16 PD stops a lot of bad indie attacks. Further- and this has certainly been discussed in other LPs- but the AI is incredibly stupid and it can't 'see' your troop stacks but it can see your PD totals. The AI is a lot less likely to attack high PD provinces if it can avoid it. Once people start dropping and going AI this can help you manage and steer their remaining stacks.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 9

Plenty going on in the messages for turn 9, but not much of it recorded for posterity by your's truly! :v:

First, we receive 400 beautiful pieces of gold from Mictlan, our liege. Mictlan has had some OK expansion, but more importantly Mictlan conquered a series of Farm provinces along the coast of Theme World's one big lake. Having several 10,000 - 20,000 population Farm provinces in the early game is super helpful, because you need so much gold to build vital infrastructure like forts, labs, and temples. Mictlan, in the true spirit of teamwork, has sent some gold to both Xibalba and ourselves to help get some poo poo built.

Two Thrones were claimed this turn! I'm not paying much attention because we're busy thinking only about expansion.

For battles: we see Mictlan fight two indie provinces and Xibalba fight one. Expansion is still happening for Team Blood, but it doesn't feel like we're doing super-well. A scout catches a glimpse of Marverni fighting some indies, down South. That's the cardinal direction that we, Lanka, are heading with our expansion armies, so we'll probably be establishing a border with the disgusting druids soon enough.

How about our own battle? Round two against the elephant-tamers of Holoma!

Two elephants remain, along with a contingent of heavy infantry and a bunch of slingers.

One elephant outpaces the other, and is immediately hacked into pieces by Palankasha. The second elephant wisely routes, directly through the mass of slingers on it's way off the battlefield.

Much better, much better.

Here's where things stand this turn. We're taking the remnants of our original expansion army and the remnants of the army that just conquered Holoma and we'll send them both into the indie province of Oune, to the South. Looks like a bunch of heavy infantry, hopefully it'll be a walk in the park.

We can see the province Xibalba captured this turn to our North. We, as Lanka, are going to focus on trying to expand South and East to the greatest extent possible, with the idea that Xibalba can expand into the remaining "interior" independent provinces as well as those to the West, towards the little land bridge between the Great Lake of Theme World to the North and the little lake to the South there. We are going to go South before going East because we're much better placed with troops to go South, and also you'll notice that fat barbarian province Tapanete, which would definitely require taking some casualties. We've already had more than enough expansion hiccups, so South we go!

Hey, there's another Throne, right there to the West along the small lakeshore. It looks like it's defended by a shitload of Deer and Boars, which means we can probably think about taking it much sooner than that other Throne full of Centaur.

Lastly, we have some commander start to build a fort in Holoma. Forts are built in stages, and it takes 4 turns to build the first stage (a measly palisade) plus 2 additional turns to upgrade into a lovely little fortress. You want to get forts started ASAP, so thank you Mictlan for subsidizing this first one!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Having Mictlan show up right at the start of the game and cut me off from the lake was a rude surprise, especially considering that there was a throne there, just two provinces from my cap.

Sometimes expansion vectors just end up heading towards each other.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Arcvasti posted:

Team Mesopotamia:
-domscore >= 4
-"master of men's fates" sounds like astral, maybe with some order. Not listed though.
-astral >= 4
-blood >= 1

Guesses about these epithets:
-no idea what on earth ur is doing either

Neither do I!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Just for an update on what the Bird People are doing right now:

quote:

First, we receive 400 beautiful pieces of gold from Mictlan, our liege. Mictlan has had some OK expansion, but more importantly Mictlan conquered a series of Farm provinces along the coast of Theme World's one big lake. Having several 10,000 - 20,000 population Farm provinces in the early game is super helpful, because you need so much gold to build vital infrastructure like forts, labs, and temples. Mictlan, in the true spirit of teamwork, has sent some gold to both Xibalba and ourselves to help get some poo poo built.

This thing about how important it is to get high income provinces? Yeah, there are none of those anywhere near my starting area, I am completely surrounded by mountains, forests, and wastes, which are nice for gems and resources (which I don't really need resources) but pitiful for gold income. I am at this point in the game(turn 9) in a state of abject poverty which will remain my financial state for the foreseeable future.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Not-Africa, Turn 9

The combatants enter the ring. Who will be the victor?

Brave warriors of C'tis fend off aggression by evil elves, circa year 0, month 9, colorized.

That's great!

That's less great.

Vanheim rolled a goddamn 6 on his number of wolves. loving hell!

My wyrm and his dog got in a slapfight while his sacreds and tinier dogs tore through my very bad PD. His dog won, but ended with so much poison in his system that he fell over the next second.

Between losing the fort and all the gold invested this is undoubtedly a loss for the good people of C'tis. Silver lining: killing Vanheim's disciple means one less problem to worry about, and we'll take what we can get.

Local spin doctors immediately get to work in distributing propaganda to the masses:

Ever since the elf war began, we here on team not-africa settled on a strategy of "For the love of god convince anyone else to fight the elves with us", so to this end we will show the elves as foolish and feeble at every turn so that others may opportunistically grab at them.

The state of the world:

At least my teammates continue to expand unhindered.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 23, 2020

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
A good start Not-Africa. I'm pulling for your side to lose less quickly win

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Team Hellen is Other People Turn 9

It's only been a few turns, but we've learned more about our neigbours: Fomoria seems to be to our south, and Skyrim to our west. Still plenty of indies around though, which makes me think that our neighbours really dropped the ball in expansion. We still haven't lost a single expansion party, by the way. Now that the elves are locked in vicious hellwar with Africa, and actually seem to be having trouble, I think our borders are pretty secure. Our other neighbours we still don't have much of a border with, thanks to an extremely convenient river between us and Sauromatia. It's frozen now, but it shouldn't freeze again after this.

Nothing much happens this turn. We unlock communions, which at this level of research aren't good for much besides telepunching[highly inaccurate] and horror marking[highly hilarious]. C'tis claims the Throne of War, which is an annoying one because it triggers a bunch of indie attack events.

While turn 8 was lost to the ages, I did find a version of it in my team's discord server, in the #wind-lord-deaths channel. The Wind Riders cleaned house, while the mercenaries did their job and died ablatively. It might not seem like my pretender did much, but her huge hp acted as an anchor to stop the dying archers from starting widespread routing.

Afterwards, she's in position to claim it immediately, so she did. My Team is now in the lead, with a total of two(2) ascension points. The Throne of Winter I discussed already, but the gist of it is that it's a good Throne for a level one Throne, with our set-up.

I'm going to stop showing expansion battles at this point unless something unusual happens, but one of Pan's expansion battles was actually kind of unusual.

They took a Jade Amazon province, which has scary dinosaur riding ladies, but gives you pretty good mages, especially if you lack nature or water magic. Me and Pan don't though, so this province won't be much use unless we remember to trade it to Mekone. Despite having a sizable force and also their disciple there, Pan took a beating. Dinosaurs don't mess around.

This turn I send my Wind Riders to snatch some indie provinces in the south, and start another fort in The Dawn Land, on the coastal farm near my capital. Both it and the fort in progress on Black Peaks are within one non-old Mystic move of my capital, which is nice. The Black Peaks fort is almost done, so I send a mage that way to build a lab on it immediately. I also build a lab on the Throne of Winter to get started making it's W2D1 mages immediately, while also site searching it as hard as I can with the forces I have on it.

Right now I just need to get some more infrastructure up, and then start site searching more. I have a max paths Mystic with S2 going around doing preliminary site-searching stuff, but I'll need to do better later on.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Thanks for contributing your team turns and perspectives, friends!

Turn 9 SC combat and hellwar is extremely on brand for Jon Joe, and the nations of the world give him credit for justly and righteously demanding wholesale elf-death :hai:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Are Team Elf trying to do anything to reduce their image of weakness?

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Tulip posted:

Are Team Elf trying to do anything to reduce their image of weakness?

They posted the real battle report of the disciple clash, which certainly made them look less weak then Jonjoe's "I killed their disciple haha" story initially suggested.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

All I can say is Elves Delenda Est.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Everything is the Elves fault.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Jon Joe posted:

Ever since the elf war began, we here on team not-africa settled on a strategy of "For the love of god convince anyone else to fight the elves with us", so to this end we will show the elves as foolish and feeble at every turn so that others may opportunistically grab at them.

:umberto:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Hey friends, so if the forums come out of this intact and under new management I will very enthusiastically be finishing this LP.

If known serial-abuser Richard Kyanka pulls the plug and everything just disappears into the internet tubes then just know that I'm grateful for your company and participation in my dumb LPs and for being cool and nice people to post about games with on the internet.

If you're a fan of Dominions LPs but have never tried the game I encourage you to join the goon Dom5 discord (linked in the Dom5 games thread) and throw the game on your steam wishlist because it goes on sale for like $12 all the time. Join our cool and relaxed community of idiots who like throwing pixel men against each other.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

How are u posted:

Hey friends, so if the forums come out of this intact and under new management I will very enthusiastically be finishing this LP.

If known serial-abuser Richard Kyanka pulls the plug and everything just disappears into the internet tubes then just know that I'm grateful for your company and participation in my dumb LPs and for being cool and nice people to post about games with on the internet.

If you're a fan of Dominions LPs but have never tried the game I encourage you to join the goon Dom5 discord (linked in the Dom5 games thread) and throw the game on your steam wishlist because it goes on sale for like $12 all the time. Join our cool and relaxed community of idiots who like throwing pixel men against each other.

Hey How are u, with the news on the purchase, will you be working on the LP again? Or do you want to see the site firmly in Jeff's hands first?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Donkringel posted:

Hey How are u, with the news on the purchase, will you be working on the LP again? Or do you want to see the site firmly in Jeff's hands first?

I'm super happy to see things are moving forward, and I'll be resuming regular updates this week! Thank you for patience, everybody.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
:laffo: yeah, right.

Well it's been an interesting 7 months since the last post. Now we've got a new government on the way, a vaccine, and everything feels just a tiny bit more hopeful. I've still got all these screen shots, so maybe let's finish this LP? I didn't exactly take detailed notes on each turn, so we may be piecing things back together. I suggest you, fine reader, may want to re-read the first 9 turns of the game to refresh.

Turn 10

We hit a level of Conjuration research, probably level 3 at this point. Conjuration is very important for Lanka to dip into in the first game year because it offers a truly nice national summon. We fight a battle in Oune, which we'll take a look at in a moment, and our teammate Mictlan expanded into another province. Our other teammate, Xibalba, did *not* and that probably does not bode well.

Fighting in Oune.

That's what I like to see!

We get a 'fun' unexpected event in the province of Gemer

god drat it

It's a whole tiny drat army!

Now we have to find some drat troops to go and retake our province. Busy-work!

The forces that just took Oune are going to march West to the province of Grain Gate. We have no idea if Marverni has troops adjacent as well, so we will cross our fingers and hope for the best!

Back in our capitol we've been using several of our Holy 2 mage-priests to reanimate skeletal longdead. Lanka is able to do this with any priest, with the number of longdead raised each turn increasing with a Priest's Holy power level. This little army is comprised of a bunch of longdead up front to screen a huge chunk of Atavi archers in the rear. They're moving to attack the province full of Barbarians right next to our capitol. The londead are completely expendable, and the archers should pincushion the shieldless barbarians quite nicely.

Our world on turn 10. You can already see where we're getting boxed in by other teams. It's looking a little rough in terms of expanding much further than we have, unless it is to the West.

Hey, I took a screen shot of a diplomacy update I gave to our team:

I engaged in some diplomancy with team Ermor, of whom Marverni is a member. If you scroll up to the map screen just above you can see that Knightmarsh is the swamp province just North of our South-Western-most Throne. We are going to go ahead and move our forces into Grain Gate regardless, because I think we can win in a bump and then owning it will make our negotiating position stronger.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Yaaaaaay!!! Updates!! :krakentoot:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oh poo poo, first good event of 2021.

I think I've still got a few gloating screenshots from once things get spicy and otherwise a pretty decent memory of what went down.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The lovely part about Team Ermor demanding the swamp province of Knightmarsh is that it means all of that land to the West that we have no info on is probably occupied.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Woo, glad to see this is back. I don't necessarily remember that much now, so it'll be fun to re-experience things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Oh good you are back!

I didn't realize I still had this bookmarked.