Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

OOrochi posted:

Woo, glad to see this is back. I don't necessarily remember that much now, so it'll be fun to re-experience things.

Same! :v:

Turn 11

Look at all those battles! :eyepop: Xibalba continues their meagre expansion, Mictlan does -not- take another province, and we have two indie battles of our own. We can also immediately tell that we beat Marverni to the province of Grain Gate, hell yeah.

gently caress...wizards!

Grain Gate has a couple of wizards sprinkled into the indie army. Not a big deal for what we're bringing, though.

Water/Ice Elementals and Earth Elementals only, thank goodness. Those are no match for our angry Palankasha, but size 6 Fire Elementals could have hurt us.

Slingers have about 10hp. Using *~my imagination~* it seems our Palankasha are pretty much tearing these poor fucks apart literally limb from limb.

We also fought in Muspel, the barbarian province adjacent to our Capitol. Last turn we sent this army:

Love it when things work 100% exactly as planned.

Muspel has a revealed magic site! We have no Fire magic whatsoever, but we'll gladly send the gems to our teammates who can use them for all sorts of things.

The other battles took place later in a later game phase, after Events, which means they were triggered by events. Somebody claimed the Throne of Beasts this turn, and in doing so triggered several turns worth of random beast attacks all over the world. Xibalba got hit several times by packs of wolves.

Even a small amount of province defense will protect you from a pack of wolves.

Poor Mictlan, however, got hit by something rather more tough.

Werewolves have some limited Invulnerability as well as Regeneration, and a couple nasty attacks. Look at how many kills they make!

Team Blood has had some really good luck so far :v:

That's the turn. Looks like we are pretty well drat boxed in at this point. Can you spot the new nation to appear in the neighborhood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 12

Not a lot going on this turn, but let's go over it. We gain a level of research in Blood magic, which is good because we've been summoning longdead to use as patrol chaff for blood hunting for a while now. We need to get our Blood Slave factories going ASAP, because we are very gold-poor and can barely afford to recruit mages and build infrastructure much less recruit extremely expensive Palankasha demons!

Xibalba and Mictlan each take an indie province. We're boxed in by our neighbors, but there are still a couple of indie provs internal to our own borders that need to be brought into the fold.

Several unexpected events and event announcements this turn. I wonder what could have happened...

god drat it. the bonus 'magic' site doesn't even give gems, just some lovely barbarian recruitment.

Great, so there's a barbarian attack coming up in Muspel some time soon.

motherFUCK

And our god damned Disciple herself gets a chest wound via the second random event. Recall that our Disciple is pretty much meant to function as a huge Nature & Death battlemage. Chest Wounds give a huge Encumbrance penalty, and there are few other Injuries that could have been worse than this.

Well, at least the Throne of War events are ending. That's what that little indie 'army' that took our province Gemer was from.

Hopefully a strong enough force to fend off the barbarian attack headed to Muspel.

Here we are. We're sending a few troops to Muspel to beat the barbarian attack sure to come soon. We're sending our Southern force up North to Gemer, to retake the province from the indie attack. We've negotiated a peace with Team Ermor, and we're going to give up the swamp province of Knightsmarsh to Sauromatia, a member of Team Ermor, who exists to the West just across the little land bridge. At least we have a tentative peace with Hinnom to our East, and with team Mesopotamian Menace as a whole.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
So we got hit by the Throne of Beasts as well. Bunch of werewolves pop up in the prov adjacent to my cap pretty much just as my Linnorm disciple wakes up. I believe they arrive while he's showing up to go site searching and not even as a purposeful counterattack by me.

"ah, yes, what can a bunch of furries do against a giant angry worm with poison breath? :smug:"

The very first punch from a werewolf is some sort of superlucky crit bullshit that literally punches his head off. :v: An affliction I've never seen before or since.

My disciple staggers around for a couple of combat rounds doing nothing then falls over, dead. loving werewolves.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
You forgot to add :black101: for that werewolf.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Werewolves do -not- gently caress around, especially in the early game. It always surprises me when I remember that there's no Summon Werewolves spell up in the mid-high Conjuration tree or whatever.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

How are u posted:

Werewolves do -not- gently caress around, especially in the early game. It always surprises me when I remember that there's no Summon Werewolves spell up in the mid-high Conjuration tree or whatever.

Yes there is ? It's called Call of the Wild. It's at Conj 3. The one werewolf you get for your 12 N gems is even better than event ones 'cause he's got invulnerability unlike the pansy werewolf you might get out of buying if you're playing Vanheim or somesuch.

Oh what, you wanted gem-efficient werewolves ?! What are you, magic Greta Thunberg ?

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 12, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Oh wow its so bad that even I, noted Dominions super star and incredibly talented player how are u, forgot about it :v:

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
I don't know how it is in dom 5, but back in dom3 the Soulstone of Wolves (the artifact that lets anyone freecast Call of the Wilds) was considered pretty drat good - the werewolf leader can summon more free wolves each turn so over time you got infinite buffable chaff, along with infinite thugs.

Of course, that was in dom3 when games lasted for infinite turns. When cataclysm is a thing, the fringe edge an economy of 12 gems at turn (afforded by a what, 50 gem item, thereabouts ?) gives you can't snowball quite as hard.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 13

Ok, turn 13! What's on the big board of announcements? Manual site searching continues, but hasn't paid off with bounteous gems just yet. We get a big announcement: our Pretender God woke up! Our lovely Oracle fountain is now sitting in Mictlan's capitol, probably researching. The Incarnate portion of our Team Bless is now active: Twist Fate! Now, when blessed, each of our Sacred units get to fully ignore the first damaging attack against them. It's pretty useful!

Our teammates fight a few battles. Xibalba takes out two indie provinces, which at this point have to be the last provinces available to them, right? Let's take a look:

They take out a province of skeletal horsemen, which can be very dangerous if massed properly but are very much glass cannons. The lovely thing is that skeletal indies always indicate a very low population province, so Xibalba isn't going to get great gold income from it.

Xibalba also attacks a much more well-defended province. Knights and mounted archers, not a joke! Xibalba's Disciple, a massive gently caress-off Jaguar with a few low level elemental magic paths, has joined the party. It spawns d6 sacred smaller jaguars in battle, and you can see those unscripted and undisciplined jags charging forward in the screen above.

With our full Bless the jags can now ignore the first hit from the Knights, which makes them actually pretty useful. They tear through a few knights while big Jaguar buffs and then joins in.

And the bats land in the rear to murder everybody. That's how flying nations are supposed to work, baby!

Mictlan attacked a Hinnom province, and I didn't take any screens or make any notes, so it must be the result of trading or negotiating with Hinnom player because we're definitely not going to war with those guys.

A couple of event messages:

Thank GOD. Give me the sweet sweet gold.

yay

And good timing, too. Mictlan has their very strong national hero outside of a fort, probably site searching, and it nearly gets killed by a pack of dogs!

Research check-in:

Next turn we hit Blood 2, and our first research goal is Blood 3. EDIT: our first research goal was Conjuration 2. Our second research goal is Blood 3! Having our Disciple awake and helping out with research is so important, as she is pretty much carrying our effort. Once we hit Blood 3 we can start building an army of upkeep-free, sacred, kick-rear end demons.

You can see the Chest Wound on our poor Disciple :(

We continue to march a little army up towards Gemer, we're coming for you, lovely indie army! :argh: Sauromatia has yet to take Knightsmarsh, but I'm sure they will soon and we will be neighbors. We are starting to build a fort in Grain Gate, our most wealthy province. Basically we're scrounging gold to build infrastructure to allow us to Blood Hunt our black little hearts out.

Our team is clearly out of expansion room, now, and we're starting to decide what to do next. That's war, obviously, but with whom and allied to whom is up for debate! I hope I took some more notes on diplomancy as we move forward, or I'll be piecing it together along with you, dear reader! :v:

How are u fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 12, 2021

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
At this point, an in fact for a good bit of year 1, Mictlan is just two provinces west of my cap circle as Rus and sitting on a lakeshore that I really wanted to reach. I spend the rest of the game wondering if what he's got in that province is blood hunters and attendant patrollers or an army about to strike, and being very suspicious when I'm told its the former. :v:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The map is definitely way cramped, but that seems to be meta for the SA Dominions community.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 14

Welcome to turn 13, let's see what went down:

We get to level 2 in Blood Magic, wonderful! Ermor claims a Throne, not so wonderful! We fail to find magic sites with our one searching mage, shucks! Looks like Xibalba fought two indie provinces this turn, which surprises me. Xibalba's expansion has been the weakest of our team so far (which isn't saying much at all, I feel we're cramped and small) but yikes! Let's look at the battles:

The bats kill a bunch of savage dog-men who live in a cave.

Jaguar Disciple is able to solo a moderate-sized province. It seems like quite a formidable combatant!

Mictlan attacks a province defended by Bloodhenge Druids and their cross-bred experiments:

The Bloodhenge Druids are fellow practitioners of Blood magic, but it doesn't spare them the wrath of Mictlan!

Mictlan's slave troops do the brunt of the dying. Certain Mictlan commanders can spend turns summoning these naked slaves to use as patrollers and chaff.

Eagle Warriors, which gain the power of flight when blessed in battle, drop into the rear and murder the indie commanders quite efficiently.

We got several random events this turn, but the only one I saved was this:

:woop:

I'm more than happy to accept some free armor (good prot, low encumbrance, decent bonus) and sword (+hp, great for any battle commander). :hellyeah:

And that's the turn. I definitely take screen shots of more than just Lanka's little chunk of the map in future updates, don't worry. Looks like Sauromatia finally got around to taking Knightmarsh. Our army that has been slowly marching towards Gemer is ready to fight the indies that took the province from us. The fort we started constructing in Holoma finished and is now a Palisade. We've got a lot of infrastructure to build, Labs and Temples and at least one more fort in addition to the one being built in Grain Gate. Once these forts are up, running, and hosting blood hunting parties, we will be in as solid a position as we can be in these circumstances.

How are u fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 14, 2021

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

To the east of TEAM BLUD, Niefelheim, Ulm and Rus find out that the rough triangle we've been spawned in has Agartha sort of in the middle of it and begin making dastardly plans to dunk on some cave folks and their allies

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Well I hope you all had a wonderful Inauguration and such. Let's get back to the game (if Imgur doesn't gently caress me over by being poo poo! All of my screens for this LP are saved in Imgur galleries so if that site is eating poo poo it makes editing a real pain!)

Turn 15

We gain a level in Enchantment research. We're dipping our toes into Enchantment in order to summon Mound Kings to lead our masses of skeleton chaff in patrolling our lands and in battle abroad. They're cheap, extremely fragile, but they can lead a huge chunk of undead!

Mictlan fights a battle against the last of the Werewolves courtesy of the Throne of Beasts. Xibalba clears another indie province (christ, Xibalba has had some awful expansion). Our little army that's spent the last 3 turns marching up North to our province of Gemer, the province that was seized by a lovely little indie event army, has finally arrived. So what exactly did we send up to Gemer to re-take our rightful territory?

gently caress these assholes!

Not like this!

Welp. I was complete idiot and for some reason thought that a bunch of naked monkey archers without screening soldiers would clear a bunch of heavy infantry. Our archers get massacred and I am thoroughly embarrassed. Now we get to be humiliated AND we have to scramble to get another drat army up to Gemer! :argh:

MOVING ON

Looks like Sauromatia may be planning to jump on this Throne? The Throne is tucked neatly into our territory, and I really would rather have it myself. We're going to mass forces to try and get it as soon as is reasonable, so let's cross our fingers that Sauro doesn't try first.

We've been sending some scouts into Marverni's territory. They're kind of large, at least larger than I like to see.

We start to formulate a war plan.

And here's the whole neighborhood. Look! We can see a tiny Berytos flag way off to the South East. Oh my god, Xibalba is going to have 11 provinces when they clear that last indie one near their cap. Yikes. We only have 9!! This game is cramped!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oh man that reminds me. After those loving werewolves that killed my disciple were finally evicted, barbs showed up in the same drat province, and kept doing so. loving things.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Misfortune scales are for fools! Seriously tho that's pretty much my main reason for never going Misfortune. I hate having to do the busy work of defending against endless, endless indie attacks.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

How are u posted:

Misfortune scales are for fools! Seriously tho that's pretty much my main reason for never going Misfortune. I hate having to do the busy work of defending against endless, endless indie attacks.

See my experience in Newbd2 for more details.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 16

A new turn! Pretty quiet! One of our mage-priests summons a Mound King to lead our undead chaff. Xibalba clears their final, for real this time final, indie province of werewolves.

Big Jaguar could have cleared this on its own, but why not let the bats have some fun?

Our new Mound King, Simith here, is going to lead all these shambling skeletons in patrolling our capitol Lanka, rooting out all those who oppose our bloodthirsty ways. :drac:

Here's our research as of this turn. We'll hit Conjuration 3 next turn, which will give us a spell to summon Water Buffalo (of all things). It will also give us the Death magic site-searching spell. Then we're going all the way to Construction 4, which will let us forge a variety of useful magical items, of which one in particular we are interested in above all.

That's the turn. You can see we've finished construction a Palisade fort in Grain Gate, on the border with Marverni. We'll upgrade that to a Fortress, and then we'll have 3 forts including our capitol. That's a pretty OK number of forts for us having like 9 goddamn provinces! Speaking of provinces, Gemer still sits up in the North, independent, mocking me.

With our Mound King leading a patrol we can now start blood hunting our capitol. We've got 3 Blood 2 hunters on the hunt now, which leaves a pitiful research corps of 3 regular mages and our super-charged Disciple. I wasn't joking when I said our Disciple was basically carrying our research burden :v:

Lastly, we start to put into motion diplomacy to set the stage for war!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 17

Welcome to turn 17! What wonders await us? We summon another Mound King, our captiol blood hunters capture 16 blood slaves (wow!), and there's a bunch of events.

Stupid bullshit, there might be a wolf attack coming soon.

Desperately needed!!

We hit Conjuration 3, huzzah! Now we have access to our national buffalo summoning spell. Incredible!

This is type of magic that really feels viscerally powerful.

We engaged in a single battle, but it was actually just pinging our Southern Throne with a generic commander.

The Throne defenders are just a shitload of crappy animals (deer, boars, etc) and some stupid Druids. We will be able to take this Throne pretty easily as long as Sauromatia doesn't take it first. And if they do take it first well we're planning a war anyway, so whatever!

We scrounge up some of our last remaining Palankasha demons to start the slow march to Gemer, where they will finally re-take our loving province :argh:

Since we're so gold-poor, and trying to save cash for infrastructure, I'm using our Southernmost fort to recruit 2 Markata scouts a turn. We will try to get a better idea of Marverni's size.

Gosh they're looking much bigger than me already...

And here's the neighborhood.

We've officially entered into a 12 turn Non-Aggression Pact with team Mesopotamian Menace (Hinnom, Caelum, and Ur to our East and South). This gives us some breathing room to spend the next several turns building armies, and then we're going to start a dang war.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Loving the 12-turn NAP with the all-blood team that had an ultra-weak expansion.

Also Buffaloes are like, actually good. They're the best of the 'homerealm animal summons' by far imo.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Arcvasti posted:

Loving the 12-turn NAP with the all-blood team that had an ultra-weak expansion.

What, you're not looking at the splendor and might of Team Blood and quaking in your boots? :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'll note that I kept trying to convince my team we should attack team blood, I can't remember why I kept getting pushback on that, but I think there was always someone else who looked like a weaker, juicer target.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

PurpleXVI posted:

I'll note that I kept trying to convince my team we should attack team blood, I can't remember why I kept getting pushback on that, but I think there was always someone else who looked like a weaker, juicer target.

That's probably because of weird positioning there was another nation (Agartha) literally between all three of us (team skyrim) us whom we could all attack. Marching Ulmish armies over to Blood wasn't really possible and would have left us horribly exposed.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Barono posted:

That's probably because of weird positioning there was another nation (Agartha) literally between all three of us (team skyrim) us whom we could all attack. Marching Ulmish armies over to Blood wasn't really possible and would have left us horribly exposed.

The semi-random team placement can definitely be a big deal in Disciple games, it seems. Team Blood doesn't really have a neighbor that multiple team members could gang-up on with ease. No matter who we choose, multiple team members need to march their troops through their own teams lands to get to the fighting, and that's a heck of a 'supply line' so to speak considering that you can't use your teammates Labs to restock gems or transfer magic items.

If your team is placed that all 3 of you can attack a single target without long marches then that's a big advantage.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
In doginasedoges each side got a quadrant in the map and we picked cap sites, which took some of the RNG out of the early game. I think it worked well on the whole.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 18

Turn 18 is pretty quiet, let's see what happened. An Arch Bishop of the Sacred Shroud has claimed a Throne. This is notable because Arch Bishops of the Sacred Shroud are Ermorian units, and Ermor is a member of...Team Ermor, whom we're plotting to attack. Maybe it would be worth our time to check out just how many Thrones Team Ermor possesses.

Looks like Team Ermor and Team Greece each have 2 Thrones. Let's look more closlier at Ermor's Thrones:

whatever

poo poo, this one is good.

The Throne of Bureaucracy is a solid Throne, and I wish we had it. The +1 Dominion conflict bonus is actually really helpful, especially against us specifically. As Lanka, the sweet-rear end demons we'll be summoning all have Chaos Power, which gives stat bonuses for being in a province with lots of Turmoil scales. This Throne will help Team Ermor to keep our Dominion at bay, and lessen the effectiveness of our troops. Boo!

There were a couple interesting events this turn:

Solid haul of Death gems! We'll be turning them into helpful soldiers soon.

What's this now??

It's the barbarian attack that was hinted at many turns ago! poo poo, I'm glad I pumped up the PD in this province.

Well poo poo, I will absolutely take 33 free barbarians, sure! These guys could even be useful in a fight, if deployed properly.

Our free barbarians will do a little patrolling, while we continue to build blood hunting infrastructure. We're hunting our Capitol with gusto now, and we're getting another blood hunting party set up in Holoma. Eventually we'll be hunting in every fort, because we have no other options, really.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

That free barb event sucks so much when the friendly barbs don't win. :v:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

What does barbarian patrolling look like anyway? They don't seem likely to maintain order in a province. "Oh, yes, potential blood slaves are being despoiled and all our booze is getting stolen, but at least it's our own troops doing it!"

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

pun pundit posted:

What does barbarian patrolling look like anyway?

The local administration gives them the names of everyone who has complained lately, and that’s who barbarians are allowed to smash and loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

pun pundit posted:

What does barbarian patrolling look like anyway? They don't seem likely to maintain order in a province. "Oh, yes, potential blood slaves are being despoiled and all our booze is getting stolen, but at least it's our own troops doing it!"

"We are the Brute Squad."