Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh boy that's a dated quote!

Gotta be close to 60 nations with the latest updates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

ousire posted:

If you accidentally bump armies with one of your teammates will the two fight? Or is the game smart enough to prevent friendly fire like that?

You can freely move through your allies' territories, so no friendly fire.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

So in my opinion there are really four factors to it.

Firstly you always want at least 1 point, so you know what just took your prov, for when you hit back.

Secondly, you usually want ten points, since that's where it passively reduces unrest, keeping your income beneficial since even if nothing else does it, rando events will always give you a bit of unrest. Eleven points also prevents a semi-common event where the pop just goes "we're tired of your poo poo!" and instantly rebels. One rando actual unit or 11 points of PD prevents it happening.

Thirdly, if the pop type is good, you may want up to fifteen points. There are a lot of garbo PD types, like most of the something-tribes, slingers, etc. but if the pop has cataphracts, heavy cav, heavy inf or war elephants, fifteen points is usually the point where they can ward off a lot of indie attacks on their own. If it's an early war, or your enemy is using a bunch of "light" thugs to hit you(like a single elf commander with some simple gear, etc.), it may be worth investing up to 20, because at that point your PD gets a second commander, preventing them from getting insta-routed if the first one gets owned by a stray arrow, and on occasion it's sufficient to embarrass an attacking enemy. 15+ points is also where the PD starts auto-patrolling and has a small chance of catching enemy sneakers.

Fourthly, while indie attacks are usually rare, some globals, like Niefel's Illwinter, make them a lot more common, and at that point PD starts becoming more worthwhile since it prevents you having to race around armies to recap provinces who, at that stage of the game, usually have better work to do actually killing enemies.

This is my extremely pro analysis.

I'll add that 6 points is usually enough to ward off some of the lighter bad events - usually indie attack - because one of the event triggers looks at the amount of either PD or actual troops you have in a province, and having troops hanging out in a province just to defend it from a random villain attack is just wasting money on upkeep.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

How are u posted:

Misfortune scales are for fools! Seriously tho that's pretty much my main reason for never going Misfortune. I hate having to do the busy work of defending against endless, endless indie attacks.

See my experience in Newbd2 for more details.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

pun pundit posted:

What does barbarian patrolling look like anyway? They don't seem likely to maintain order in a province. "Oh, yes, potential blood slaves are being despoiled and all our booze is getting stolen, but at least it's our own troops doing it!"

"We are the Brute Squad."