Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I am playing Caelum(aka The Bird People) on team The Mesopotamian Menace. They are a nation designed around 2 things: having absurdly high Air magic access and flying. They also have decent death access in EA, but beyond that their magic access is pretty pathetic. My disciple is a Red Dragon, meant to help me expand(we didn't realize an imprisoned pretender meant the disciples also wouldn't be out at the start!) and give me access to fire magic.

One fun thing about Caelum is that all of their best troops have Ice Armor and Ice Weapons. These things are stonger the colder a province is, and in a neutral temp province they are pretty meh. So I basically have to write off my best troops from the start and will be relying on my suckier troops. On the plus side my suckier troops still fly and are dirt cheap so I can at least recruit a lot of them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Val Helmethead posted:

The Ur approach to diplomacy. As the head of Team Mesopotamia our negotiations are as follows:

- People message me about what my team-mates are doing, asking for NAPs.
- I say "I'll go over it with my buddy, but we're probably good."
- I tell my buddy "So-and-so was asking about you. Do whatever you want, I've got your back."
- They know I don't really have their back because I'm Ur and Ur sucks.
- Hopefully nobody else realizes this and attacks us/me.

To improve matters the player for Hinnom was not very active and started chain staling shortly after the game started and I did half of his turns until we got a sub a bit further in.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
You can also do "PD Traps" where you lure an enemy army into what seems like a small army(or undefended province) and then have them have to deal with a more significant force than expected. The PD you get in a province also depends on the indies that were there when you fought it, so some provinces can have rather surprisingly strong PD, like a lizard province that lets you have a ton of the basic c'tis slave lizards that are surprisingly good, or heavy cavalry provinces. Throw up like 50 PD on a heavy cav province and someone could run into a rather nasty surprise.

This is mainly done either because you have a ton of money and no way to really spend it, or as a last ditch effort to fend off an invader.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Just for an update on what the Bird People are doing right now:

quote:

First, we receive 400 beautiful pieces of gold from Mictlan, our liege. Mictlan has had some OK expansion, but more importantly Mictlan conquered a series of Farm provinces along the coast of Theme World's one big lake. Having several 10,000 - 20,000 population Farm provinces in the early game is super helpful, because you need so much gold to build vital infrastructure like forts, labs, and temples. Mictlan, in the true spirit of teamwork, has sent some gold to both Xibalba and ourselves to help get some poo poo built.

This thing about how important it is to get high income provinces? Yeah, there are none of those anywhere near my starting area, I am completely surrounded by mountains, forests, and wastes, which are nice for gems and resources (which I don't really need resources) but pitiful for gold income. I am at this point in the game(turn 9) in a state of abject poverty which will remain my financial state for the foreseeable future.