Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

*gas station attendant from southern ontario voice* it's the tragically hip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

BigFactory posted:

Willburys 3 wasn’t very good though.

It was okay. But if you look at the other stuff they were doing at the time - Roy Orbison's Mystery Girl, Tom Petty's Full Moon Fever - that included the other Wilburys in some effect, that more than makes up for Vol. 3. I Won't Back Down, You Got It? All feature at least 3 of the Wilburys.

And Vol. 3 gave us You Took My Breath Away, and that's more than worth it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

It was okay. But if you look at the other stuff they were doing at the time - Roy Orbison's Mystery Girl, Tom Petty's Full Moon Fever - that included the other Wilburys in some effect, that more than makes up for Vol. 3. I Won't Back Down, You Got It? All feature at least 3 of the Wilburys.

And Vol. 3 gave us You Took My Breath Away, and that's more than worth it.

Yeah but how does that hold up to Santana’s post-1981 output

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
In every possible sense, it's The Replacements. Or maybe Dinosaur Jr.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Disco Pope posted:

In every possible sense, it's The Replacements. Or maybe Dinosaur Jr.

Pixies is a better answer than Dinosaur Jr. imo unless you put the caveat "the only Dinosaur Jr albums that count are the ones with Barlow on them"

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

precision posted:

Pixies is a better answer than Dinosaur Jr. imo unless you put the caveat "the only Dinosaur Jr albums that count are the ones with Barlow on them"

Hard disagree

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

precision posted:

Dinosaur Jr is a better answer than The Pixies imo unless you put the caveat "the only Pixies albums that count are the ones with Kim Deal on them"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dacap posted:

"the only Pixies albums that count are the ones with Kim Deal on them"

i mean, that's just a given

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Frank black solo is better than pixies

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the hold steady *runs away before anyone can respond to this*

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

precision posted:

Leaving out Green Mind is criminal.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BigFactory posted:

Frank black solo is better than pixies

i don't even know how to respond to this

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Hold Steady might actually be a fine answer if they had delivered on the promise that Boys and Girls in America showed but i feel like their entire career has just been treading water. like what happened to Pearl Jam.

i can't even remember if i've listened to the latest Hold Steady, or what it's called, and i probably would have at one point said they were one of my favorite bands :shrug:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The Pixies loving own

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

precision posted:

i don't even know how to respond to this

You could nod and put on your copy of The Golem

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I didn't grow up in a musical home at all and so when I started to get deep into it in the early '90s I was super into Frank Black's Teenager of The Year and The Breeders 'cause those videos were in MTV rotation nonstop and I had absolutely no loving idea who The Pixies were. :lol:

But I'd still blast Teenager of the Year over any Pixies record.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Lotta action in this thread lately! Hmm, what about Dirty Looks? Does anyone else still remember them? Their first album came out in 1985, and they were going up until the late noughties, until Henrik Ostergaard died.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

caligulamprey posted:

But I'd still blast Teenager of the Year over any Pixies record.

it's like i don't even know you people

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Does Sonic Youth even warrant a mention in this thread of threads? I'm ok with the Pixies pre-reunion. Could not care less about any of their output after '92.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The pixies had a couple of good albums. They’re not even the best rock band from Massachusetts post 1981.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hatelull posted:

Does Sonic Youth even warrant a mention in this thread of threads? I'm ok with the Pixies pre-reunion. Could not care less about any of their output after '92.

I really don't think so. The idea of Sonic Youth is better than the reality. EVOL, Sister and Goo are the only "great" albums they did; every other record they put out is either too uneven to be great (Daydream Nation, Dirty, Washing Machine) or just not very good on any level (Rather Ripped, etc)

It's something I've thought a lot about though. They did some things so well; they wrote killer pop songs and killer noise jams, which is pretty hard to do... but I think on some level they were sabotaged by their own reputation

thanks for reading my application to pitchfork.com

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Bad Moon Rising, DDN, Dirty and Murray Street are all way way better than Goo.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Sonic Youth loving owns

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Bad Moon Rising, DDN, Dirty and Murray Street are all way way better than Goo.

Big disagree. Dirty comes close but it's got "Nic Fit" and "Youth Against Fascism" which, come on, those are barely even songs

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I love Sonic Youth, or at least some of their stuff, but I don't think they have the mainstream appeal or consistency to take the best band title. Pixies are close, but they burned out too fast.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Disco Pope posted:

I love Sonic Youth, or at least some of their stuff, but I don't think they have the mainstream appeal or consistency to take the best band title. Pixies are close, but they burned out too fast.

Agreed, guess we have to give it to phish. Nice work everyone!

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Afghan Whigs

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Cat Hassler posted:

Afghan Whigs

I stan for Dulli and all of his side projects, but I forever see the Whigs as a 90's band. Possibly because I typically go in at Congregation. Their mid 90's output, Black Love especially are godlike. Their stuff since reforming is ok with some really great singles but nothing as hard hitting as the records from that decade.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bardo Pond

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Soundgarden

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

precision posted:

Bardo Pond

*J. Spaceman will remember that.*

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
It's Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, OP

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

it's The Smashing Pumpkins, Gish through Machina.

Gish
Siamese Dream
Mellon Collie
The Aeroplane Flies High
Adore
Machina

bonus: includes the greatest song in the history of music.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Fate Accomplice posted:

it's The Smashing Pumpkins, Gish through Machina.

Gish
Siamese Dream
Mellon Collie
The Aeroplane Flies High
Adore
Machina

bonus: includes the greatest song in the history of music.

They're so astonishingly bad since that it cancels out.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Like, this is pure pub music bore thinking on my part, but I think you need a level of critical acclaim, popular recognition, influence, consistency (you can't have been poo poo for 20 of the 25 years you've existed) and something of a myth and celebrity to be considered the best rock band. But by this rubric, that leaves, like Nirvana? I mean, sure, but what a boring answer.

Edit: Wait, it's Slipknot lol

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 25, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Disco Pope posted:

Like, this is pure pub music bore thinking on my part, but I think you need a level of critical acclaim, popular recognition, influence, consistency (you can't have been poo poo for 20 of the 25 years you've existed) and something of a myth and celebrity to be considered the best rock band. But by this rubric, that leaves, like Nirvana? I mean, sure, but what a boring answer.

Maybe if they stopped after bleach.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

well why not posted:

it's metallica
It's so obviously Metallica the thread should be titled Best Rock Band Since 1981(besides Metallica).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Disco Pope posted:

by this metric it's definitely either Slipknot or REM

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hatelull posted:

*J. Spaceman will remember that.*

Honestly, the only reason I wouldn't throw Spiritualized in as a contender is that the lineup has been far too inconsistent for any kind of "best band" award. One prefers not to essentially give "best band" to a solo artist. Nine Inch Nails is out for much the same reason.

Spacemen 3, there's definitely an argument for, but I really think they are much more accurately described as a folk or blues band

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Disco Pope posted:

radiohead