Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Blasmeister posted:

Q Team blasting off on idiot adventures again is about perfect for how this game should end. I have a lot of love for this game as creaky around the edges and straight up silly it might be

Q-Team's ending is sort of like this, only in reverse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK-tVTsSKpw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

W.T. Fits posted:

I like to think that the game cutting to black right before we find out if Carlos chooses to shoot Delta or not is because Delta is mindhacking the player to prevent them from observing (and thus interfering with) the outcome of the decision - true to his word, he leaves the final decision in Carlos's hands.

: Only trust your fists. The police will never help you.

And he'd really know the most about it, wouldn't he?

I like to think D-Team went on to find a very, very understanding and knowledgeable family therapist for their issues. ...and also went no contact with Delta.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah D-Team has a... lot of complex issues to handle. Diana is still married. There's still a 100+ year old Phi out there (assuming she hasn't died of old age by now). Sigma, for the first time in his life, is directionless. Same with Phi. And then there's everything to do with the festering wart in their little family.

There's no guarantee that Sigma and Diana will get together; the circumstances that led to them falling in love in two different timelines don't exist here.

Also I can only imagine that in a few years Akane is going to get extremely bored in a marriage without any death games to plan. She's been doing this since she was 9!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also I can only imagine that in a few years Akane is going to get extremely bored in a marriage without any death games to plan. She's been doing this since she was 9!

Until Junpei forgets to do the dishes. Then it's game on

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh, let's not forget, Alice and Clover are still in cold sleep pods. You... haven't forgetten about them, right, Sigma?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Oh, let's not forget, Alice and Clover are still in cold sleep pods. You... haven't forgetten about them, right, Sigma?

Speaking of which, in the non-canon VLR Ending or whatever with Blick Winkel, I'm assuming Akane used Delta's fax machine to send them back in time? Which is great for Snake, assuming he survived Radical-6, but kinda poo poo for Clover and Alice stuck in the future.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Maybe she'll just retire from being Zero and start making normal escape rooms instead.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
And they said this game was unLPable.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah D-Team has a... lot of complex issues to handle. Diana is still married. There's still a 100+ year old Phi out there (assuming she hasn't died of old age by now). Sigma, for the first time in his life, is directionless. Same with Phi. And then there's everything to do with the festering wart in their little family.

There's no guarantee that Sigma and Diana will get together; the circumstances that led to them falling in love in two different timelines don't exist here.

Even weirder possibility - Sigma and Diana still get together and manage to produce yet another version of Delta and Phi, only without crazy powers. They become determined to raise Delta right this time and end up over-parenting him into a goth rebel, but a mostly harmless one. Phi ends up exactly the same.

DKII fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 4, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Speaking of which, in the non-canon VLR Ending or whatever with Blick Winkel, I'm assuming Akane used Delta's fax machine to send them back in time? Which is great for Snake, assuming he survived Radical-6, but kinda poo poo for Clover and Alice stuck in the future.

https://www.whompcomic.com/2013/06/19/pork-futures/

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Photocopies of Alice and Clover wake up in a warehouse somewhere owned by Delta/Free the Soul. Meanwhile in the future, Akane shivs the originals to clean up loose ends.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

DKII posted:

Even weirder possibility - Sigma and Diana still get together and manage to produce yet another version of Delta and Phi, only without crazy powers. They become determined to raise Delta right this time and end up over-parenting him into a goth rebel, but a mostly harmless one. Phi ends up exactly the same.

They overcompensate and Phi strikes out in a fit of teenage rebellion after Sigma and Diana pay too much attention to Delta. She ends up on the road with Carlos, who has retired from being a fireman and now travels around the world saving lives as a vigilante but still making the occasional hot fireman calendar.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Wonderful LP of a facinating game.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Sigma, for the first time in his life, is directionless.
Being a polymath should at least make finishing college a whole lot easier.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Skylight posted:

I like to think D-Team went on to find a very, very understanding and knowledgeable family therapist for their issues. ...and also went no contact with Delta.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Inb4 Akane goes amateur counselor. :science:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ZTD.jpg

Great show, DKII, thanks for letting a whole host of goons know what a deeply stupid yet endearing game this is. :allears:

Leamonde
Aug 2, 2012

DKII posted:

It was really important to me to keep up a rapid pace at the beginning in particular, since that's the closest I could get to mimicking the feeling of watching video cutscenes that can't be paused (the game keeps carrying you along and not letting you think too much about any one thing). There were a couple points early on where I'd have updates ready and waiting to post, and I hit the submit button when the speculation got interesting just to interrupt it. :)

Haha devious!

I will say, I found the Rousing SpeechTM to be a little too anime for my liking, considering the tone of the series,
but I liked this.

Leonyth
Mar 17, 2009
This was a well done LP and I'm glad I had the opportunity to play this game myself. Funnily enough though, if the VLR had this pace, I wouldn't have probably. It was during a pause that I caught up to that thread and decided I wasn't patient enough to wait and got the game on my own which meant that when ZTD released I had to get it too.

As strange as the story was, I enjoyed it and reading the speculation in the thread was fascinating. So yeah, good job.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

I'm pleasantly surprised by this ending! I called a lot of what the game was doing about the time some poster mentioned "perspective" and the multiple gunshots thing, but I was really worried that with the plot of SHIFTing they would lean very hard into the existential murder aspect of "The you you swap places with dies, so at any point you could be replaced and killed!" I'm glad they didn't go hard with that, it ruins all the best aspects of following these characters, and it seems that they've sort of gestalted themselves into their perfect versions so the concept of theoretical self-murder either no longer applies or can just easily be solved by SHIFTing somewhere else. There's few things worse than being presented with a cool alternate timeline story but then having all the mystery and fun sapped away by focusing on the Prestige aspect.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
On the other hand, this is the only timeline where Eric gets to live, so it's kind of a cursed timeline anyway.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Thanks for the very good LP.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So I like this game... but I loving hate this game. I love parts of it, and I want to burn the rest of it... but I'm glad it got made.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Onmi posted:

So I like this game... but I loving hate this game. I love parts of it, and I want to burn the rest of it... but I'm glad it got made.

This game had to exist so that Carlos existed. That's what I keep telling myself.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm so glad that not only was this done but it was also done in the complete opposite fashion to the one in which I did VLR.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think an easily missed aspect of the series (which Carlos actually reminded me of) is that it's actually one of the very few series I can think of that is explicitly set in America, starring Japanese-Americans. I didn't really notice it in 999, but at some point (actually during the C-Team segments) it actually twigged that, oh yeah, Junpei and Akane (and Aoi by association) have Japanese last names, Carlos is clearly American, and then most of the rest of the cast other than Lotus isn't really Japanese, either. 999 gave enough of a smokescreen that you could believe that everyone was Japanese, since the Hongou reps all had Japanese last names.

It doesn't sound like a big thing, but considering a lot of other JRPG VNs are either explicitly set in Japan, and/or then translation changed the setting to fit Western areas (cough Ace Attorney cough), it's a quiet bit of representation that's kinda nice.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Thank you so much for doing this LP for all the people who didn't really get to see this thing! Love the game ;;

TheSoulian
Dec 5, 2016

Thank you for being an LP machine DKII! It was fun to theorize, I'm surprised how much I got right, I'm usually awful at this stuff.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think an easily missed aspect of the series (which Carlos actually reminded me of) is that it's actually one of the very few series I can think of that is explicitly set in America, starring Japanese-Americans. I didn't really notice it in 999, but at some point (actually during the C-Team segments) it actually twigged that, oh yeah, Junpei and Akane (and Aoi by association) have Japanese last names, Carlos is clearly American, and then most of the rest of the cast other than Lotus isn't really Japanese, either. 999 gave enough of a smokescreen that you could believe that everyone was Japanese, since the Hongou reps all had Japanese last names.

It doesn't sound like a big thing, but considering a lot of other JRPG VNs are either explicitly set in Japan, and/or then translation changed the setting to fit Western areas (cough Ace Attorney cough), it's a quiet bit of representation that's kinda nice.

I got the impression that everyone in 999 was actually Japanese (even though the boat later turned out to be in Arizona), but afterwards the series went more global and just assumed that everyone could speak English when working with people from other countries. Like, Junpei and Akane's childhood is extremely Japanese-in-Japan.

So maybe Junpei and Akane moved to America at some point, but I'm pretty sure they were born in Japan.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Clarste posted:

I got the impression that everyone in 999 was actually Japanese (even though the boat later turned out to be in Arizona), but afterwards the series went more global and just assumed that everyone could speak English when working with people from other countries. Like, Junpei and Akane's childhood is extremely Japanese-in-Japan.

So maybe Junpei and Akane moved to America at some point, but I'm pretty sure they were born in Japan.

They were, Junpei, Akane, and Aoi all moved from Japan to America independently of eachother after elementary school. Lotus and Seven were just Japanese, and I'm pretty sure all of the Cradle Pharmaceutical members were too, though the company itself had international presence. I think Clover and Snake were always Japanese/American considering their last name is literally just Field.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Whatever the game may choose to say (or not say), I still believe that there's another Carlos out there. I also can't help but think everyone's forgotten about the kidnapping and murder Delta ordered prior to this point (specifically, Alice's father).

On another note, a video to complement the ones that were posted during Force Quit and complete the trifecta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUzQfmDuoX0

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

OddHaberdasher posted:

Whatever the game may choose to say (or not say), I still believe that there's another Carlos out there. I also can't help but think everyone's forgotten about the kidnapping and murder Delta ordered prior to this point (specifically, Alice's father).

Yeah, I thought about commenting on Delta's other crimes but didn't fit it in anywhere. Like, they have the leader of an ostensibly terrorist organization (Free the Soul) dead to rights, and didn't think that the police (or federal agents or whatever) might be interested in that? Weren't Akane and her group, and Junpei and his group, literally hunting this person before the events of this game?

I guess it might be hard to hold onto someone who can read minds and take over people but still.

On another note - thanks for the kind words everyone. It was a good pandemic stress relief valve for me, and I'm glad I was able to keep up the pace. Up until the last couple weeks, I was worried about losing momentum at some point and having it crash entirely.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
One thing I think the game never outlines is when Akane is made aware of the VLR plan, actually. It couldn't have been Sigma who told her, since she knocked him out before he SHIFTed to/from the events of VLR and his life was mostly a linear pathway til then with some minor divergences to avoid danger. Possibly Phi SHIFTed to an earlier point in time and tracked down Akane after the events of 999, but dialogue in VLR implies that she was also knocked out around the same time (she could have been lying, but I think the takeaway is that she was as clueless as Sigma for most of the game until the end where she gets SHIFTed back in again).

The other possibility is that Akane SHIFTed into her old body at some point and left instructions for herself, but that's a slight reach.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Thanks for the LP. :)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Thanks for the LP, DKII.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Nice job finishing up the LP. You really rocketed through this.

I wonder why this game was labelled as "un-LPable" before.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Very well done, DKII. You've got a hell of a drive to get things done.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Araxxor posted:

It was probably something to do with how many branches there are and all the decisions to be made and I think the way DKII did it is probably the most streamlined it's gonna get.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

That action movie-esque ending got a huge laugh outta me. What a delightful game to see LPed. :allears: Thanks so much!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Araxxor posted:

Nice job finishing up the LP. You really rocketed through this.

My understanding is because it's pretty hard to get the intial feeling of "what the gently caress is going on?" where you have 20 unconnected events display all at once with no real way to determine order, cause and effect, of anything else in a controlled setting like a LP where people will sit down and read every single clue out in less than an hour after posting.

Also, although I haven't done a LP, my general understanding is that people often record for longer stretches of time and then turn chunks of that into updates. The voting method basically required playing only as far as the thread voted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Capfalcon posted:

Also, although I haven't done a LP, my general understanding is that people often record for longer stretches of time and then turn chunks of that into updates. The voting method basically required playing only as far as the thread voted.

I was actually able to get ahead at some points by recording some fragments up to the decision point and then going back to the main menu. Or recording both results of a decision at once, and not saving after either one. Sometimes whether an update would come out right away or not depended on whether I guessed the result of the vote right and had it recorded already. :)