Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Oh boy this game is gonna be quite the roller coaster I wager.

Two updates should be a record for shortest amount of time to reach anthe ending, maybe? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So I don't quite remember all the details of how VLR ended, but assuming Sigma here is the post-VLR Sigma then he's essentially in a position where he knows the ending to this whole ordeal (or I guess two possible endings? Would Doctor Klim have memories of the world as ravaged by Radical-6 or saved from it? Do we even know?) but has no idea how it gets to that point or what any of this even means to that end. Just like the player! Except it looks like we're not even playing as Sigma this time but as one of three randoms so does Sigma's perspective even matter anymore? :v:

Also how does that kid not stumble all over the place with that helmet presumably screwing with his center of gravity?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Junpei and Akane's hair are looking a lot more purple than I remember. :thunk:

Also I'm getting a kick out of Junpei and Phi's reaction to people needing to die to win. "Yeah, been there, done that."

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Looking at the vote, looks like we're all a bunch of suckers this time :colbert:

I include me in this statement of course. :sweatdrop:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

12 year old Akane witnessed in real time her own plans to save herself from burning to death in an incinerator, including the grizzly murders (many in the did-not-actually-happen variety, in fairness) of several people including her beloved Junpei, who by the way she basically mind-melded with during her pseudo out of body experience. Oh, and just to reiterate, the stakes were her literally burning to death.

I do not fault Akane one bit for going kinda a bit psycho as a result.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'll never not enjoy Junpei being the awkward rear end in a top hat he is :allears:

I also notice that your Junpei portrait has kinda sorta the same "hand behind head" pose that his VLR incarnation did all the time.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Junpei was absolutely like this in VLR. He had more of an incentive to play Good Cop given the structure of the game but he was already jaded to hell and singularly focused on saving Quark at the expense of everyone else if needed.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The setup of this game is certainly interesting, at least compared to VLR. VLR's explicit connection to 999 was tenuous and unclear for a long time, all of the characters save Clover were entirely new (or so we thought) and even Clover was only a bit player in the most important revelations of the previous game. In this game we have at least four returning characters, their relationships to each other and to the larger plot of the first two games are laid out in the open right from the start, and evidently Sigma has been trying to tell anyone who can listen everything that's been going on to this point. It's remarkably straightforward and it doesn't look like the game is trying to hide anything about why we're here.

Of course, since this is Uchikoshi we're talking about I imagine he has us exactly where he wants us before the rug gets pulled out under us yet again. :allears: It'd be more prudent to not that anything in that previous paragraph for granted.

EDIT - Also Sigma is a huge guy looking at him now, although part of that is probably cause Phi is just that tiny. Although I suppose I shouldn't be surprised given K in VLR.

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 25, 2020

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I mean, come on. It's Akane with a chainsaw. This shouldn't even be as close as it is and it isn't even that close. :getin: :black101:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Oh man this update delivered and then some. Every time they talked about the "fake" body appendages I was just :allears: the whole way through cause Uchikoshi truly is a dick.

So on one hand, Carlos seems like a cool dude and I like him already. On the other hand, Akane is a literal crazy person and unfortunately that makes me feel like it's even less likely for her to have done something like kill the only person she cares about in this whole place. So sorry Carlos, it's time to do the honorable thing and take one for the team. :colbert:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Jadecore posted:

For a game that clearly had to be elaborately planned ages in advance, the real mystery is how after someone killed Junpei, they were able to properly construct and strategically place his limbs and torso everywhere formatted to be part of this escape room puzzle. They had to have planned that in advance, right? How did they decide "right, well, the circumstances are like this, time to kill one of the participants and carve them up into part of the puzzle"?

This series is pretty cavalier with the idea of cause-and-effect as it is, it's entirely possibly whoever setup the puzzle already knew that Junpei would be dead by this point and arranged the puzzle pieces accordingly.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

That's a looooooot of blood. :gonk:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I chose "No one" cause I'm kinda curious what will happen but otherwise Eric has to be the one to bite the bullet. Or crossbow bolt in this case I suppose :colbert:

Also calling it now the fourth option is "EVERYONE" cause we need maximum carnage. :getin:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Is it a bad sign that despite being a literal serial killer I'd much rather have Mira be alive than Eric?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Can we get a do-over on test subject assignments? Maybe replace Eric with someone who isn't a sniveling pissant?

Maybe we can get Seven in here, or Snake, or hell, I'll take Quark and he doesn't even exist yet!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Junpei posted:

I mean, we don't know Eric's backstory yet.

And I hope we never do.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Hahahaha Eric still gets brutally murdered even when no one is aiming at him. Eat poo poo rear end in a top hat :allears:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like the history-eraser button did exactly what it said on the tin :allears:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Omobono posted:

Aren't fire alarms behind easily breakable glass*? Because I'd say switches and levers fall under the same rules as marked don't touch buttons.

*probably transparent plastic now that I think about it

Well the thing is that everyone knows what a fire alarm does. Or everyone should anyway.

Simply not having knowledge of what pressing a button will do seems to inspire too much curiosity.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Random aside, did Phi ever mention needing glasses in VLR?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like Mira is taking up the mantle left by Ace and Dio as "that guy/gal that murders everyone by default".

I still approve of her here because Eric is dead.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Jadecore posted:

It's basically not a secret. You can see Mysterious Cloaked Figure's nails in a couple of shots, most specifically after Diana gets shanked.

Which leaves the actual question. How'd they get into Ward D to stab everyone?

They were in the lounge when the killing started happening

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I say we complete this timeline and keep things right and go back and murder Q-team ourselves for real this time.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Mira is an irredeemable murderer but you can at least sympathize with her way of thinking, or at least pity it. Also she isn't real.

Eric is just a dumb cowardly loser who thinks highly of himself and condescends to others without an ounce of self-awareness which means he immediately retreats into "selfish prick" mode under this game's level of duress (make no mistake, him taking the bulletbolt for Mira was definitely not for her sake, but for his. Though that's just my reading of the situation I'll concede). All of these are deeply undesirable and offputting qualities. And yes, Eric himself also isn't real, but what he is is most definitely too real. :gonk:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Not like Sigma hasn't experienced dying before, what's another one to add to the pile? :v:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I can certainly see how the idea of outcomes being governed entirely by a dice roll in a VN format like this can be annoying to play through, and depending on how deep down the rabbit hole the game goes with this gimmick it can become downright frustrating. No one wants to feel like their choices are just perfunctory and don't really control the outcome, even if in this case there does seem to be a larger reason behind how all of this plays out. It does make for an amusing LP when things go horribly wrong (not that Sigma and Diana getting shot is itself amusing, but you know what I mean. I hope.)

It does at least keep me intrigued about what the ultimate goal of all this is though.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

OddHaberdasher posted:

To get revenge on the snail, of course. All of this is obviously part of a decades long scheme to get four powerful espers (plus Carlos, Diana and Q, who are probably espers given they are the main characters this go around) together and supercharge their morphogenetic connection so that one of them can go back and squash that f****ng snail. This will undo all the bad things, save the world and ensure that life is simply fair. Don't you think?

Mira and Eric are there to pad out the numbers.

You joke but that kind of silly resolution seems entirely plausible.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Dang wasn't expecting so much :smith: here.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Huh, I was actually going to ask if incinerators even get hot enough to completely incinerate human tissue and bone as quickly as it did here and apparently the game decided to answer that for me. :v:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Would hair dye survive 45 years of being cryogenic freezing followed by the thawing process? :thunk:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I will make sure we kill Q team properly this time until it happens.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Nope, sorry, not even a tragic abusive parent backstory is going to make me want you dead any less Eric.

I'll put up Q here since no one has done it yet, though if that scrawny kid really can strangle a grown adult to death that'll be something.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

quote:

Look all we're saying is that we should give the dog a little side-eye, just to be sure. :colbert:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The primary difference between starting in the Pod and starting in the Study is that Mira is dead when starting in the Pod. Which means Carlos's action of killing Akane directly leads to Mira's death somehow, which I suspect is what that weird plot lock is meant to convey.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Everyone presses their button at the same time, everyone melts to death, mutual destruction :black101:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Watching Q-Team fragments gets fun when you play the "Guess when Eric turns into a raging rear end in a top hat" game, though in this case it was a pretty easy guess to make :v:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Everything about this room was amazing :allears:

Is there any reason we need to actually roll the dice or can we, you know, just place them all down showing 1? Cause that seems like the obvious answer here.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Carlos seems like a good guy, he's certainly my favorite new character. Though of course his only real competition is Diana (who I also like) since all of Q-team is a raging tire fire as of right now.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Need I remind all of you that Clover's axe-wielding rampages never actually happened except in Akane's head. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'm sure Junpei will be totally trustworthy and pick Ally twice like a good boy. Better cooperate with him. :v: