Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
I’m just glad the LP had reached the Transporter escape room before I got there in my playthrough just now, because as soon as I fiddled with the cards and looked at the book, I knew this whole thing stank of math, and it was already like 3:00 am so I just stole the answer and moved on with this.

Naturally, I had a later night than anticipated despite that theft.

Now I’ll settle in to watch! Great LP and thread, adding a bunch of context I missed while binging it in the last few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Onmi posted:

This also means that The Pantry and thus, food for Diana and Sigma, likely existed in the timeline where they were locked in. Which is another sign of Zero being a cruel person. There's no reason to condemn his parents to starve to death. And he can clearly use the Morphogenetic field if he's setting up so many variant timelines and predicted people jumping timelines like C-Team. So- Okay I get it, if he reveals more food, then perhaps Sigma and Diana don't transport the kids. If Sigma and Diana get more food, they might try to use the Transporter in more ways than Zero wants. but like... Dude, you couldn't set up an auto-timer for just after the kids were transported to reveal more food, or open the X-Door and let them out? Did you need to let them die of starvation? I don't think you did.

To be fair, Zero did leave them a handgun with at least three bullets left!

It also just strains credulity that the Sigma who has just spent the last 45 years doing science on the Moon wouldn’t think to poke at the walls and discover the irregularities, or ever study the layout of the wards while they were sitting around doing nothing for months. And why are the walls less durable than the floor, which had at least one bottle of booze smashed on it without damaging the displays?

Of course, none of us are on Uchikoshi’s Wild Ride for his literary realism.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

...! posted:

Uh... the floor has to be more durable than the walls because, you know, people are walking on it.

It also withstood a chainsaw hitting it pretty hard, given that the force of the saw blade’s movement kicked it back when Akane dropped it!

I don’t really mind any of this, especially when Uchikoshi could’ve handwaved it away in a second—hell, Zero could’ve had padding placed everywhere except the exact place that Eric just shot after accessing the morphogeneic field to maximize the drama. It’s just funny to me.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
Shoot, coward, you are only going to kill a SHIFTer.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Nidoking posted:

It's the cat box. Everybody's trapped in the cat box.

Did Schrödinger ever use the term “cat box”? Before I started reading VNs, I don’t feel like I ever saw the phrase used when discussing the thought experiment. I honestly just thought it was a Ryukishi07 thing.

(If anybody here has gotten to the end of Uchikoshi’s Wild Ride and doesn’t already know about the masterpiece that is Umineko no Naku Koro ni, it’s all up on the archives and hits many of the same “murder mystery meets metafiction” notes the Zero Escape series does. It’s also maybe a secret literary masterpiece! Highly recommended.)

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

C-Team: 2 childhood friends in love and Carlos. What's his connection to them?

Perhaps Delta just saw the canon ship sailing ahead in the future? I mean who knows how things pan out after this, what polycule couldn’t be improved by a hot American firefighter who just cares about keeping promises and helping his sister?

It’s clear from the last C-Team fragment that there’s chemistry!

rko
Jul 12, 2017
I would love to know if this ending was so camp and hilarious on purpose. So much of this game feels so compromised; I know it had a baby-sized budget that looks like it was spent almost entirely on VAs, but is that an excuse for the writing taking such a wild turn here?

It’s so weird that the more that I think about ZTD the more I love it, because it is objectively silly. Motherfucker said “Mind Hack.” He shot the dog! Delta is the best.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Everyone ignoring Mira altogether and Delta's whereabouts in the True Ending up until Delta rolls up with the shotgun is the most jarring thing.

Like I said before, I’d love to know whether we’re seeing a compromised vision or just like, S-Tier Incompetence.

There are so many baffling choices here, and while the Zero Escape series isn’t known for its thoughtful realism, VLR and 999 hang together—both of those games have some very silly plot issues, but none that stuck out so bad that it took me out of the story. It just feels like there’s an entire plot arc that got cut from Q-Team, at the very least.

I don’t really mind, because the ride is so much fun and it’s not trying to be Citizen Kane or anything, but VLR manages to be a fun mess of sci-fi twists without feeling so shoddy. And that’s to say nothing of the inconsistent characterization or the lack of interest in following up on the energy of VLR with D-Team.

On the other hand, I probably say “It’s useless, you were born a shitter” and “my motives are...complex” a lot more often than anything I ever heard in 999 or VLR, so maybe this is the real masterpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rko
Jul 12, 2017
I am lucky to not understand lunar physics enough to be bothered by the incredibly powerful “we gave you all radical-6 to supercharge your time traveling abilities but you’re on the moon so you couldn’t notice” twist.

If I have one real disappointment about ZTD, it’s that it never really reached the sublime levels that the twists in the first games got to. There are VNs with better mysteries (Umineko!) and VNs with more grounded sci-fi (Steins;Gate?) but nothing really matches Uchikoshi at his best.