Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I'm not sure if :getin: or :black101: or :yeshaha: is the most appropriate but I do love the FJF thread every year.

I completed five runs last year but left a sixth unfinished going for ultrafilter's all jobs toxx. I am filled with shame. This year will be better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Apollo's Harp owns, but it's not fair to compare it to the best weapon in the game (fight me Cockshankers :colbert:)

Best weapon in the game hm?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

“Omae wa mou shinryu."

My favorite Michael McDonald song

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Ramc posted:

I recently read my old 3 Year Old Risk fiesta run to my now-eight-year-old and he thought it was pretty funny. Time flies.

I was just thinking about that run, my 6-year-old is starting to play games with me and I bet she’d dig it. Maybe I’ll just let her have my old GBA and see how she does...

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Harrow posted:

I did something like it when I replayed FF6 most recently. I called it the "Esper Attunement" run.

The idea is that each Esper can only be used by a certain number of characters--outside of those characters, nobody else can use it, meaning they can't learn its spells or get its level-up stat bonuses. The first time I did it, I sorta broke the Espers into three tiers based on how powerful their spells/bonuses were. The weakest Espers could be used by up to three characters; the middle Espers by up to two; and the best could only ever be used by one character. It didn't really make the game harder, necessarily, but it did lead to me actually specializing characters and "building" them to be strong in specific ways. It also meant that I got a lot more use out of characters' unique abilities--Strago's blue magic meant I didn't have to waste many spellcasting Espers on him because he had magic of his own, and similarly Edgar's tools and Sabin's blitzes took over for magic for them as well. I focused a lot on Locke having high HP so he could get good damage out of the Valiant Knife. Celes, Terra, and Relm got to be my main spellcasters because of their naturally higher magic stats.

It was pretty fun all around. Not all that hard, but it added more decision-making and made each character feel very distinct all the way up to the end, which I appreciated. Next time I might go all the way and just make it so that every Esper can only ever be "attuned" to one character so I really, really have to specialize right from the start.

The Brave New World mod did this pretty well, I think each esper can only be equipped by two characters. It ensured a pretty good mix of healers, physical DD, and magic DD for each section of the game. I played it a few years ago, so I'm sure it's completely different by now (I remember them tinkering with it quite a bit between revs) but worth checking out.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Just registered and chipped in $25 to start. I'm sure it will be more.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Arzaac posted:

I'm probably gonna prereg with Chaos and Berserker Risk. Would probably do Pure Chaos, but I really don't wanna run around with just Freelancer for an extended period of time.

Just FYI with Chaos, if you’re not using the Fiesta mod then there’s a decent chance you’ll be Freelancer only for a large portion of World 1. You might want to consider Random instead. If you are using the mod then Chaos is great.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Rynyin posted:

Send RevenantKioku a DM on twitter or in the (Official, non-goon) discord. I had the same problem and he helped me out out pretty quick. If you're messaging him on Discord make sure in include your Twitter handle so he can fix it (in my case it was just a matter of gilgabot following me back)

One more thing is if your Twitter account is set to private it messes with the registration reply tweet and doesn’t register you.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Zerilan posted:

I tried doing it vanilla a couple times before doing fiesta runs, but got decision paralysis on what abilities to go for, grinded too much, got bored.

I remember playing the PS1 version a million years ago. I had a little bit of decision paralysis, and when you start W3 and go down to two characters, and I was left with some bad jobs and abilities, and I just quit. Also the load times were brutal IIRC.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Unless you have Bard or Time Mage don't do the Sea Trench. :v:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Cattail Prophet posted:

Help, my brain put two and two together and I couldn't stop myself:

Gilgamesh uses !MovePast

Bregor fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 10, 2020

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Ace Transmuter posted:

DD with the sizable lead though.

e: And he didn't let the shield burn!

2020 really is the endtimes

Bregor
May 31, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

DD appears to be grinding eqribbon with three characters dead in the middle of meatfort?
e: Maybe grinding hi potions?

Never watched The Run, do people grind Bal statues or is that frowned upon?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Ace Transmuter posted:

I always restart because I like re-naming Butz every time. Usually there's a good name :toxx: going too.

:same:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Okay tomorrow I’m “working from home” aka marathoning my first run :yeshaha:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

White Mage / :black101: / Bard / :black101:

Guh

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

it's free triple crown estate

Yeah but W1 blows.

Oh well, here we go!

e: And I'm definitely doing

Aerdan posted:

The Skald :toxx:
$1 per run, up to $20, for each run wherein a Bard hits an enemy with an axe.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Pulled Dragoon for my wind job on a pure chaos run. Does that mean my entire party is gonna be earth crystal jobs and/or Mime? lol

No, any of your selected jobs can come from any crystal.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Blergh

At least I have better control over this crew now. After Earth it's two :black101: the rest of the way.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

JibberJabberwocky posted:

I'm level 28, I just finished Byblos. I have 3 berserkers. I envy the dead.

I welcome any tips or links to a 4zerk guide in advance because I am sure that's what I'm gonna get for my fourth job, just... sure of it.

I'll probably hop on the discord and ask for advice if I get stuck. I've done sandworm with 4 zerks. I did a 4 zerk run a while back, but it's all sort of a fever dream and I forget the things I need to know each time. Back to the grind.

If you're quadzerk for Sandworm, expect to get into the low 40s to have a shot. I was 42 I think. Had enough money to buy rings and grinded levels on Mini Dragons.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

:toxx:

I'm adding another late toxx because gently caress it. $1 for every normal kill of the Tyrannosaur in the Moogle Cave, without exploiting its Undead status. That means no Phoenix Downs, no Healing Items, just a regular fight. The limit will be $25. Quote this or something of mine so it's easier to see, if you please.

Edit: It'll have to be the honor system unless you feel like recording the entire fight I guess.

Aw man I just did that! Had to remember to unequip Death Sickles first :v:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Oh my god... It's over :unsmith:

That took more time and a higher level than either of my complete runs last year. Thank you to everyone who listened to me bitch about this.

:black101: :hf: :black101:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Aerdan posted:

The Skald :toxx:
$1 per run, up to $20, for each run wherein a Bard hits an enemy with an axe.

DeathSandwich posted:

Where do you go to grind for the level 40-whatever it takes to be able to quadzerk sandworm? I'm guessing death 4x Death Scythe -> Mini dragons?

yeop

Bregor
May 31, 2013

4zerk run just got past sandworm. Took about 20 tries at level 45. Was going to give up and go back and grind to 50 on mini dragons when I got a lucky one in. I immediately went out saved tented then went back to the library and healed at the pot, then saved in a second slot, then copied my save as a backup, before continuing.

I've done this before, so I feel it's all downhill from here. I might even grind enough to try to get Shinryu. I don't think Omega is doable but I bet you can brute force Shin. I also haven't run away yet so I can go for the 0 power chicken knife.

Bregor posted:

DIE FUCKER :black101:

YESSSSSSSSSS

My best advice - get everyone to Level 97. You don't want L2Old or L3Flare to ruin your day. Other than that it's just luck, but definitely doable.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I probably had to grind 7 extra levels or so (I was 85 on my highest char when I finished) to be able to sacrifice a whole Zerk's worth of damage, but Faris held that knife and she did 0 damage all fight.

Now I'm gonna do a nice pure chaos run as a palate cleanser and for the rest of the fiesta I will accept a max of 1 more berserker and will job fair the rest away.

:allbuttons:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Run #1: Random BERSERKER RISK - White Mage / Berserker / Bard / Berserker

DEATHHARP :black101:

This is a pretty great 2-zerk team, as White Mage gave me all the defense I needed and Bard made sure their stabby-stabbies hit like a truck. Typical strategies of Romeo's Ballad on Omega and Power Staff/Blink on Shinryu. I wanted to !Sing for a long time on Treedeath but my Zerks beat him up too quick. Even with Shell, Lenna would die every Alamgest cast, so I had to stay on my toes. But overall a pretty easy run.

And since I was cheeky and did a COVID-related name instead of BLM...

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Relin posted:

i'm not convinced aegis shield can block tidal wave

I know you're probably just frustrated at RNG luck but

Bregor posted:

Two blocks on the first Tidal Wave. My strategy was to facetank/block rather than give up Hermes for Coral.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

PastaBakeWizard posted:

Rubbing up against Ifrit / Byblos with Berserker and Beastmaster available on my blind chaos risk run and spent loving ages trying to catch a D. Chimera only to find out it was pretty useless against bosses. I then started catching loving everything I could lay my grubby ACAB hands on just to see what they all did and I see my way through this wall. I'm gonna catch some fuckin' grass turtles. This whole fiesta game mode is making me engage with FF in ways I never have before and it's amazing.

Release a Page 32 on Byblos for maximum hilarity.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Chemist for the Wind job is Very Good, you can use daggers, the Flail, and the Healing Staff, plus potions heal for double. Then after Walse you get access to Turtle Shells :getin:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Princey posted:

8hr Shin kill

:popeye:

Way to go!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Drunk Nerds posted:

Can Bard naturally equip an axe or do I have to do something... weird

Learn Equip Axes from Berserker and put it on a Bard.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Run #2: Pure Chaos - Chemist / Ranger / Ninja / Summoner

Well that was easy. Chemist with the Fiesta mod is a great Wind job, you start with the Flail and Healing Staff early and you get Turtle Shells at Karnak. Seriously could've been ten levels under what I finished at, but !Rapid Fire Ninja is just fun to waste poo poo with. Not much else to say about this crew other than they wreck face. Doing 9k x4 Leviathan on NED was particularly satisfying.

apophenium posted:

I'm excited about this Fiesta!!! I registered for a Pure Chaos Risk run. My first risk!

I also want to do a :toxx: challenge:

I'll donate $2 for every victory with Bartz named ACAB, BLM, George, or any related name, up to $100. Let's have fun and help people!

Hopefully I'm not too late for this!

berenzen posted:

I have a little bit of expendable cash, so I think I'll make a :toxx: of my own.

I will pay $10 per superboss (to a max of $50 for each, $100 total) for anyone that beats them "legitimately". That means no quickleaking/!calm/!sing/chemist berserking omega, and no berserking/quickleaking shinryu. Basically, fight the superbosses without breaking their script in some way.

It's hard to capture, if you are running bard/beastmaster/time/etc. I'll still accept submissions, just use the honor system.

Well my Chemist didn't berserk Omega, but !Mix is completely broken. Started with Resist Fire, Dragon's Kiss, and Levisalve. Used Hermes so no need for Hasty-Ade, and no Goliath Tonic meant I could heal Wave Cannon with just Hi-Pots. Once I had enough Dragon Powers and Turtle Soups applied to damage him, it was just a lot of Succubus Kiss and a few Thunder Scrolls. Cheesy, sure, but not in the !Sing/!Calm sense I guess.

Shinryu I definitely just smacked with the Power Staff/Dark Sigh and spammed !Image :v:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Barehanded Sword Dance :getin:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Drunk Nerds posted:

Golem definitely, its effectiveness blows our minds. The reflect one probably not though, exdeath was casting stuff like Flare where I was like "why... why wouldn't this be reflected like in every other final fantasy?"

Reflect from !White or Carbuncle wears off. It’s hard to know it’s gone unless it’s the only buff you have (Protect’s yellow and Shell’s green glows take precedent over Reflect’s blue.) So yeah if a Flare or -aga gets through you need to re-cast.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

:allbuttons:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Zuiko-Digital posted:

I got monk, summoner, ranger, and samurai. Anyone have any tips? World 2 is getting hard for me

Buy Gaia Gear and cast Titan a lot. Heal with !Animals cos I think that’s around the time Nightingale is most common.

Get Golem in Drakenvale and Carbuncle in Meatfort. It’ll be all the defense you need for the rest of the game.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I just got Omega and Shinryu as fairly as possible as one can at level 97.

If this is closed then oh well another triple crown!

:popeye:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Jose Valasquez posted:

FJF broke $24k making this the most raised during FJF ever :toot:

:swoon: Awesome. Love the causes RK chose this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

1234567890num posted:

$6,150.00 + $20,218.22 = $26,218.22? :eng99:

great username/post combo