Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

well-read undead posted:

i liked 3 a lot because it did a pretty great job of bringing that wasteland wandering feeling into a first person game

i liked the tree guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

rotor posted:

i lit the tree guy

:sickos:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Harold is from earlier fallout

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

1 and 2 do a better job of having people actually move on from the war imo. the Bethesda ones are more "remember fallout???" esque

yeah, it is a bit tiresome trope, one tons of games get themselves into. in reality it'd be a pretty shockingly short time into an apocalypse before people stopped talking much about it (e.g. finding new ambitions for themselves)

though it is true that unless your writing is real compelling it is best to keep focused on the central conceits of the plot.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

PokeJoe posted:

3 has the big problem of all the underground areas looking exactly the same and all the people leaving skeletons in their front yard for 200 years

if we've learned anything from these past few years, the unrealistic thing is those skeletons aren't bigger and seasonally flexible

PokeJoe posted:

Harold is from earlier fallout

if u think about it the games should be called Harold 1, 2, 3, and (unfortunately) brotherhood of steel

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

PokeJoe posted:

1 and 2 do a better job of having people actually move on from the war imo. the Bethesda ones are more "remember fallout???" esque

being set in america i can easily believe that people would be hung up on a war from 100~200 years ago

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Bethesda Fallouts are B movies, which isn't a bad thing.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

PokeJoe posted:

Yeah this is a good point, looking back Vault City was founded like 10 years after the war and was a modern city, Shady Sands too by Fallout 2. Even the shanty towns in fallouts 1 and 2 used scraps of wood and tin roofs

Meanwhile the modern game's aesthetic is "whoa we scraped together all this junk that inexplicably survived for 200 years instead of someone at some point chopping up some wood and making a real wall". Filly in the show has 3 space shuttle hulls serving as roofs, you can't tell me it was easier to artfully arrange 3 space shuttles for your roof than it'd be to salvage some wood boards at any point in the last 200 years.

But whatever we finished the show tonight and it was fun

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

rotor posted:

fallout NV is good but like Dave Foleys voice just pulled me RIGHT OUT of the game and into a Kids in the Hall sketch, very jarring. Of 3, NV & 4 idk which i like best.

if anything it convinced me that fallout is just one big kith sketch. dave foley was amazing as yes man

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ADINSX posted:

you can't tell me it was easier to artfully arrange 3 space shuttles for your roof than it'd be to salvage some wood boards at any point in the last 200 years

Yeah that's something that has always bothered me about Fallout too. It's like people just forgot that you can patch holes and sweep up. It's been ten fuckin generations since the war and people are still using rotten 200 year old mattresses and the door to their house is still a chunk of a road sign? That aesthetic might work if it was like five or ten years after the bombs. After 200 years every trace of the prewar society should be gone and replaced.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

psiox posted:

if anything it convinced me that fallout is just one big kith sketch. dave foley was amazing as yes man
mr. house:
https://youtu.be/w7ApuaJrtck?si=JgpdgVcyY641EBYA

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
reminder that portingkit is another fallout new vegas vector provided you have it on steam and want to play on macos. which reminds me, i should get back to it soon

also with the above you can basically enjoy any windows steam game on modern macos while you’re at it, though fidelity varies

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

it’s awesome that this exists, but it is deeply humorous to me that to play this game in tyool2024 you have to install like 30 mods to fix the broken piece of poo poo Bethesda is still selling

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

starfield is somewhat amusing through the lens of gamebryo

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Branch Nvidian posted:

it’s awesome that this exists, but it is deeply humorous to me that to play this game in tyool2024 you have to install like 30 mods to fix the broken piece of poo poo Bethesda is still selling

is there any bethesda game that isn't like this

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

is there any bethesda game that isn't like this

honestly no, which also raises the question why bethesda has been allowed to release so many games in such awful states without facing significant enough backlash to stop doing it

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

they're genuinely unplayable without modding, so sometimes i wonder what the ESO population is

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it’ll always be funny to me that fo4 copied the general main plot layout from new vegas (find and deal with the dude who wronged you in the intro. then, choose one of the main factions and deal with the others) but gutted literally everything that made it feel creative and fun

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

it’ll always be funny to me that fo4 copied the general main plot layout from new vegas (find and deal with the dude who wronged you in the intro. then, choose one of the main factions and deal with the others) but gutted literally everything that made it feel creative and fun

even if fo4 had kept all that stuff, it still wouldn't have been as good simply because the guy who wronged you in the intro wasn't matthew perry putting a bullet in your skull

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i had a very hard time caring about any of the characters in 4, to be perfectly honest. i felt somewhat invested in new vegas

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

the biggest issue i had with fo4's story was, unlike new vegas, the crux of the main story is trying to get your kid back instead of simply getting revenge on a guy, yet you still get constantly sidetracked with pointless bullshit

"oh, you want to find the man who kidnapped your baby son? well here's a base building simulator and why don't you help build up the minutemen first?"

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Branch Nvidian posted:

games that "require" you to install mods to fix them are not worth spending your time on. gamers will never learn it tho

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

dioxazine posted:

they're genuinely unplayable without modding, so sometimes i wonder what the ESO population is

eso is fine.
also not a bethesda game lol.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

oh you're right, they're just the publisher

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

folks, with Bethesda, modding is the game.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Branch Nvidian posted:

the biggest issue i had with fo4's story was, unlike new vegas, the crux of the main story is trying to get your kid back instead of simply getting revenge on a guy, yet you still get constantly sidetracked with pointless bullshit

"oh, you want to find the man who kidnapped your baby son? well here's a base building simulator and why don't you help build up the minutemen first?"

ur not wrong but you could say the same about BotW which was - i think we all agree - a good game

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

rotor posted:

ur not wrong but you could say the same about BotW which was - i think we all agree - a good game
i think this is even funnier in totk because im out here loving around and having fun over hyrule and ganondorf is down in the depths for months like “where is that little twink?”

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

yeah fo4 immediately lost me with the kid plot

me, 2 minutes out of cryo: "shaun who? hey look a gun"

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

you didn't even get a dedicated shaun button like heavy rain

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

dioxazine posted:

you didn't even get a dedicated shaun button like heavy rain

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23198

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

circling back to mods making bethesda games minimally playable, i see

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

:allears:

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

god i had actually forgotten about their extremely bad choice to voice the protagonist in fo4

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

well-read undead posted:

god i had actually forgotten about their extremely bad choice to voice the protagonist in fo4
and the dialogue options

Yes
Yes
No
Yes (derogatory)

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

well-read undead posted:

Stephen Russell should basically have done everything. nick valentine was the only part of fallout 4 that has stuck with me as likable.

also by using an older version of mod manager 2 (due to new versions having [temporary?] incompatibilities with proton), i have successfully gone through that Viva New Vegas guide and now have a very nice setup for NV on my steam deck :3:

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

dioxazine posted:

i had a very hard time caring about any of the characters in 4, to be perfectly honest. i felt somewhat invested in new vegas

there aren't any characters in any bethesda games. at best there are some basic archetypes played completely straight that hang around on screen long enough for you to remember them; most of the time they're just set dressing.

new vegas was made by obsidian iirc so it's not as bad in this regard.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
new vegas has a great voice cast

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

psiox posted:

Stephen Russell should basically have done everything. nick valentine was the only part of fallout 4 that has stuck with me as likable.

i found the noir detective schtick instantly tiring, let alone the whole "synth living peaceably in a human settlement" aspect

Truman Peyote posted:

new vegas was made by obsidian iirc so it's not as bad in this regard.

new vegas characters (companions particularly) are legit good. thinking about the time my wife cleared the legion base hopped up on psycho and jet, then turned to cass who was immediately like "are you loving high right now??" :allears:

not that there isn't something extremely charming about chasing your dad, liam neeson, across the wasteland as he repeatedly grumbles "i didn't want to have to do this" and chases down an unaware yao guai with a baseball bat

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

new Vegas is fun like fallout should be. it has the right amount of silliness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

it's like the people who made new vegas knew what fallout was really about at its core or something