Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'm curious who the early picks will be. Did I miss how large each company will end up being?

20 picks per. I have some guesses but with this group I think there may be surprises.

Just as a general note, try not to talk about people who haven’t been taken if you can avoid it. I mentioned a few in the OP who I think are likely first or second round picks (like John Cleese), but it sucks when someone else talks about that pick you thought would drop to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jordan7hm posted:

EDT

e: and I’ll PM everyone with their position in the order. Depending how the order shakes out everyone should be able to pick at least once tomorrow.

I don't have PMs, but I'll be sure to check before the end of the first pick. It's two hour windows right? So the first pick has to be done before noon Eastern or 9am Pacific?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah. Though that does lead me to a question - do we have more people on from pacific than eastern? I’m fine flipping to pacific if it makes sense, or starting an hour later or something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm pacific

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
West coast = best coast

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Pacific as well

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I'm EST but I'm used to doing stuff by PST.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

And I will say 10 am pacific would be easier to start, but it only really matters for the first pick and understand that it would make things on the other coast hard to have your picks super late

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Split the difference at do 11edt to 11pdt?

For the first pick, once I randomize the order we can start and anyone picking first can just pick right away, it’s just that the clock won’t start for anyone until Saturday morning.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Alright, enough waiting. We didn't hit 10 people, but this'll have to do.

It's time!

Random.org results:

1. Napoleon Nelson. Avatar Press
2. Bingo Bango. Marvel
3. Madkal. Vertigo
4. Vargo. Archie Comics
5. Jordan7hm. Image
6. Skwirl. Brand Echh Comics
7. How Wonderful!. Fantagraphics
8. Roth. Detective Comics
9. lifg. Humanoids

I'll pm folks who have PMs and let's get started. We'll be doing 11AM EDT to 11PM EDT. Reminder - that doesn't mean that you can't pick outside of those hours, it just means the 2 hour clock doesn't start outside of those hours. So if I pick at 10:59PM EDT, Skwirl has until 12:59PM EDT the following day to make their pick (1 minute to get to the freeze, 1h59 after the freeze), if I picked at 2AM EDT, Skwirl would have until 12:00PM EDT (2 hours after the freeze).

Remember, try to provide some additional context for the pick, this is after all primarily an exercise in talking about creators. If you just want to quickly pick and come back to it when you have more time (as I may have to do tomorrow) that's ok too though.

And finally: the draft spreadsheet is here (also in the second post): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kZl-b4Nx91H_lD2HzeW95qWolEM53SIbEaAJZA6Og1Q/edit?usp=sharing

e: sharing wasn’t set properly. Should work now.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 30, 2020

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Napoleon Nelson is on the clock for the first pick until 1pm EDT, and Bingo Bango is up next.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Are we talking about our pics here and why we picked them?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Madkal posted:

Are we talking about our pics here and why we picked them?

Yes please

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

The new management of Avatar Press would first like to thank the league and the commissioner for hosting this event. We look forward to an excellent event and are very excited about the draft picks to come, both our own and those of our competitors. Best of luck to us all over the next few days and the year to come.

Avatar Press has long had an interest in horror, violence, and the grotesque in our writing and art. Don't expect that to change with the new season and our new management team. Avatar will remain a place where you can expect to be terrified, horrified, and grossed out.

What will change is how we approach that horror and that violence. We want to shift all of our comics away from being "adult" towards being for adults. Comics for grown-ups, comics that will scare grown-ups. Gore has its place, but that place is in service of story, theme and message. In addition, we will be expanding the global scope of our people and our stories. If this year has shown us anything, it's that we are all connected- in our fears.

With that new direction in mind, as its first pick in the 2020 Comics Draft, Avatar Press would like to draft a master of horror manga: Mr. Junji Ito! (Period: 2000-present)

Junji Ito, creator of such works as Uzumaki, Tomie, Gyo, and countless other long and short stories, will serve as a creative director as well as artist and writer at Avatar. He will be responsible for aligning all of our works with our new direction and will ensure that we, as a company, move forward towards our goals while staying true to our roots. His expertise in many forms of horror, from psychological to the gross out, will make him an invaluable asset to our artists, writers, and editors.

In addition, every month we will be serializing Mr. Ito's Cat Diary in "Life in Purgatory", our new monthly anthology comic, a successor and companion to Cinema Purgatorio that focuses on real stories, both personal and historical. Finally, Mr. Ito will be providing an all-new back-up story to a different comic every month, adding another dimension and perspective to the ongoing story. You won't believe what he has cooked up for the relaunch of Crossed!

Thank you all very much.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Not who I expected to go first overall, but Ito is an amazing cartoonist who perfectly fits the Avatar brand. Extremely logical first pick.

Bingo Bango up until 2:11edt, Madkal on deck.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Not who I expected to go first overall, but Ito is an amazing cartoonist who perfectly fits the Avatar brand. Extremely logical first pick.

Bingo Bango up until 2:11edt, Madkal on deck.

Yeah, I was going back and forth over getting a more contested pick vs committing to the bit. I decided on the latter and it seemed to make the most sense to start from the top and set the tone for my whole draft strategy.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Greetings from the new head Marvel Comics! I made the bold choice of announcing my shtick beforehand, which was to only select webcomic creators, but I'm confident that I'll have plenty of folks to choose from and that most of my list is unlikely to get drafted before I get my chance.

In recent years, Marvel irl has had a lot of great talent from the 'net show up in their comics, either as guests or full-time (Ryan North on Squirrel Girl is probably what comes to mind first). And when going through my preliminary picks, I found that a fair number of them had already done guest work for Marvel. So, I have the added constraint of trying not to draft folks to titles they've already worked on.

Anyway, without further ado, I've decided to put John Allison on Runaways!

In particular, his Bad Machinery period would be an excellent fit for Runaways - the man's already proven that he can write about plucky teens solving mysteries and I think he'd bring a lot of levity and charm to it. I'd expect Mr. Allison to both write and draw it, which I know is a tall order, but I think will ultimately work to the comic's benefit (I also couldn't decide between the two)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ok I can see that this is going to go in a different direction than I expected. I have zero real knowledge of webcomics, so stuff like Bad Machinery is new to me. Just from a quick glance, Allison seems like an incredibly good fit for a Runaways series.

Madkal is up until 3:30EDT

Vargo is on deck

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
(Apologies for the phone posting. Won't be able to do pics)

Greetings to the President, fellow managers and the fair people of this fine internet. Before we begin I want to congratulate Xenoscope for winning the title in the previous season.
Coming from a franchise that heavily reminisces about our near perfect run in 1994 and 2011 we have decided to play on those fond thoughts and hopefully recapture the magic (while barely acknowledging the way other franchises have progressed). With the knowledge that we have access to other franchises "assets" that we can use to bring great critical acclaim only to have those assets cruelly ripped away from us when we need them most we have decided to draft an industry vet who has great experience with the inner workings and reimaginings.
Our first round pic will work as our EiC, with the mission statement of bringing in new talent, guiding the Vertigo line and bringing a certain prestige with their name to have us rise from the ashes and recapture the magic we once had.

For our first round draft pick, Vertigo is proud to draft in Grant Morrison.

No stranger to the Vertigo line, Morrison got his start in American comics using previously dwindling characters to bring in a new prestige to comics. We hope that he might be able to do the same once again. His work with many greats makes us optimistic that he will be able to attract old veterans like Alan Moore back to Vertigo, as well as scouting talent for the next wave of upcoming superstars.

With all that being, we finally want to thank DC comics who will always always always support us and make sure that our needs and cares are looked over until the end of time. Thank you. And Bruins suck.

Edit: oh right. Era. I'm gonna go from 1994-2011 to cover the two good glorious years when we nearly won the cup (just ignore the lean years in between)

Madkal fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 30, 2020

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Good picks everyone!!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hope I didn't break this draft. Is it still happening?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yep, Vargas was skipped at like 4:14. I pm’d them and hoped to give them time to pick, but I’m about to be skipped so...

Apologize for the phone post, will come back later with something more deserving of this man. I wasn’t prepared for him to fall to me.

Image was founded originally by artists who wanted to be more than what they were allowed to be with the mainstream publishers. They were at the top of the game but they didn’t own their work, and that’s some bullshit.

While there was an Image umbrella, each creator was also able to create their own thing. An anchor book which would support other books in the same little universe. And that’s what we’ll be doing here, though maybe with a bit more cohesion in the overall vision.

So with all that being said, which artist will I pick to strike out on their own first? It’s gotta be the King, the man who did more than anyone else to define what mainstream comics could be, from the creation of entirely new genres and universes to the development of new drawing styles, and finally to the inspiration of so many artists who would follow in his footsteps and build on to what he laid down for them.

With the 5th overall pick, Image selects Jack Kirby, cartoonist, to anchor the first of our lines. He may not end up writing the dialogue, but his art and his plots will be at the heart of what we do here. Much as I love his work with Thor, I’ll be taking his 1970s Fourth World period, where he was allowed to really show what he could do when given the reigns.

(Pics will come later).

Skwirl is up!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Hello, I'm sorry for missing my pick, there was hell happening in my city. Can I pick now, or do I have to wait for the end of the round?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vargo posted:

Hello, I'm sorry for missing my pick, there was hell happening in my city. Can I pick now, or do I have to wait for the end of the round?

Go for it if you do it soon. I don't think your gonna snipe my pick and I have a back-up just in case

I'm gonna pick right 5pm pacific

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vargo posted:

Pick now.

For anyone who’s missing their picks, just pick whenever you get back. You don’t have to wait.

Also I was gonna post this last night but with what is going on in the states right now, just everyone stay safe and focus on what’s important. If you’re not able to make a pick in this fun distraction game that’s obviously cool. If you want to send picks to someone on the other side of the order from you that’s also an effective strategy and they can post on your behalf.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Well, I was gonna make a pretty normal pick of Grant Morrison, but since that's been taken....

Folks, I chose Archie Comics, and we'll get to the Riverdale crew in a second, but take a little detour with me to the world's most way-past-cool licensed property:

I don't know if you know, but in the mid-90s, Archie Comics basically stopped paying attention to the Sonic property and decided to let the whole thing go absolutely batshit under the supervision of one Ken Penders, a man who loved him some echidnas, hated Sonic as a character, and wanted a shitload of alternate universes, crossover tie-ins, and wanted to insert as many "do not steal" OCs as possible.

I actually have a soft spot for the 94-97 Penders years because its amazing watching someone absolutely wreak havoc on a property you'd think would be closely monitored.... but he got to try some weird things and build epic (and epicly stupid) storylines. But it's no doubt that his hubris damaged the property massively, and that Archie Comic was right to step in and take over again (after one editor went to the supermarket and saw Sonic's dead body on the cover of a comic as he was checking out.)

So, I want to replace 90s Ken Penders as the main writer and creative director. But I want someone who also has some of his more... interesting qualities.

Someone who has a penchant for weird twists and turns.
Someone who works best in isolation.
Someone whose personal backstory is sometimes more interesting than the pages themselves.
Someone who can balance lots of plotlines and still have surprises.
Someone who tries way too many OCs sometimes.....
Someone with a special connection to the Sonic characters........

In the first round, Archie Comics drafts Tails Gets Trolled sage LAZERBOT to take over Sonic the Hedgehog writing duties in the mid-90s under EXTREMELY CAREFUL editorial direction.

(This is my only semi-joke selection, I promise) But even though it's a half-joke, I really do believe that Lazerbot's infamous eight-year crossover comic actually does show great promise. As a writer, Lazerbot includes original twists other writers would never dream of, and I know he wouldn't be afraid to take risks with the property. His recent pages have shown that he's capable of working well with artists, and unlike Penders, he has shown ability to actually learn and grow as a writer.

I would just make sure that his EIC sends memos every day that say "Fight scenes are 5 pages MAXIMUM"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vargo posted:

In the first round, Archie Comics drafts Tails Gets Trolled sage LAZERBOT to take over Sonic the Hedgehog writing duties in the mid-90s under EXTREMELY CAREFUL editorial direction.

I guess I have to go with my backup plan.

I was debating what to do with this, I knew my first pick would be a sort of architect/EIC that was probably a writer to create the overall tone for the line. But then I had to come up with what that tone would be. In a couple different threads we've talked about those ridicoulously inappropriate covers for certain comics, like the Greg Horn(y) covers for the Emma Frost series where she's a preteen and I was thinking about what an appropriate place for those covers would be. I was slightly worried this idea would have too much overlap with Napoleon Nelson's Avatar Press, but with his first pick seems to be going in a different direction then my intentions.

Brand Ecch is going to be respectful, horny comics. So my first pick is Gail Simone as Writer/EIC/Architect. She's written a ton of comics about ladies not wearing much clothing and always managed to give them dignity. She was the person who first pointed out the women in refrigirators trope and then went on to write Vampirella and Red Sonya. She's shown herself very adept at playing in other people's sandboxes doing acclaimed runs at both Marvel and DC using tertiary characters who later became really big deals like the Birds of Prey and (when she was writing him) Deadpool. Her writing is often a great mix of fighty and flirty and goofy. Now I want to see what she does with her own sandbox.

I'll try and throw some Red Sonya pics or something in here.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

In this imaginary scenario can I suppose that, say, Fantagraphics has the license to stuff they may not actually have the license to? Not, like, Spider-Man or whatever but Golden Age comic strips or things like that?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

How Wonderful! posted:

In this imaginary scenario can I suppose that, say, Fantagraphics has the license to stuff they may not actually have the license to? Not, like, Spider-Man or whatever but Golden Age comic strips or things like that?

Hell yeah

Also that stuff is mostly fair game anyway. Even if wasn’t I’d still say yes though.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Oh, and I guess I'm up! I'll be frank, I picked Fantagraphics kind of on a whim, but after some thought I've decided I want to stick with writer-artist cartoonists primarily rebooting or revamping titles made famous by writer-artist cartoonists. Some of these are in the public domain, some of them aren't, some of them have even been printed or licensed by Fantagraphics already, but I want to slap a new and potentially interesting new coat of paint on some things I like-- because really, part of the fun here is just getting to type about stuff we're into.

My first pick is an exercise in hedging my bets and nabbing one of the more famous people on my shortlist. It's also, probably, very very predictable. I'm selecting Alison Bechdel to revamp The Addams Family.

Alison Bechdel is the author of the enormously successful graphic memoir Fun Home, its follow up Are You My Mother?, the long-running lesbian serial Dykes to Watch Out For, and a few decades worth of political cartooning and memoir. She's an inductee into the Harvey Awards Hall of Fame, a Macarthur Fellow, and the recipient of a Guggenheim Fellowship among other awards. None of this says much about her approach to cartooning, however.

Since the early 80s Bechdel has excelled at carefully observing human behavior, leveraging an even, deadpan style to draw out and accentuate the pathos and absurdity of her subjects with wryness and sympathy. She's a dedicated advocate of outsiders and marginalized people, happy to thrive on the margins of mainstream society. For most of her career these outsiders have been countercultural lesbians like the characters of Dykes to Watch Out For, which began in 1983:

+

or the dysfunctionally queer family unit of Fun Home:

In each case these characters' oppositional relationships with the world are amplified by Bechdel's precise, jittery pencils, and her extraordinarily gift for cramming a panel with signifying detail. No line is ever useless in a Bechdel comic, even if it is idiosyncratic-- a lot of time, the joy of surplus is kind of the point. With that in mind, and keeping in mind how adroitly she uses the figure of the eccentric house in Fun Home and her career-long fixation on found family and solidarity, I'm putting her on The Addams Family.

Bechdel has mentioned her childhood obsession with Charles Addams in several interviews, the way her confusion at his often-enigmatic cartoons fueled her fixation on poring over them. His most famous creations, The Addams Family, were introduced in 1938, a ghoulish and sometimes whimsically perverse clan of cheerful freaks and monsters. It's easy to draw a line, I think, from his lush but spidery lines, his gothic mansions, and Gomez' broad grin, to Bechdel's cramped but densely realized houses and apartments and the ludic margins her characters carve out for themselves. I should also note that while Bechdel is maybe better known in 2020 for the poignancy of Fun Home and the political foresight of DtWOF, she's also super loving funny. I think that putting her in charge of something more fantastic and surreal, something she's followed since childhood, would give her a chance to lean back into her comedy chops.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 31, 2020

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

How Wonderful! posted:

Alison Bechdel

This is great and smart and I should have expected nothing less after all your excellent effortposts in the Comic Strip thread.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vargo posted:

(This is my only semi-joke selection, I promise) But even though it's a half-joke, I really do believe that Lazerbot's infamous eight-year crossover comic actually does show great promise. As a writer, Lazerbot includes original twists other writers would never dream of, and I know he wouldn't be afraid to take risks with the property. His recent pages have shown that he's capable of working well with artists, and unlike Penders, he has shown ability to actually learn and grow as a writer.

I would just make sure that his EIC sends memos every day that say "Fight scenes are 5 pages MAXIMUM"

ok I need some more info about what the hell this is.

How Wonderful! posted:

My first pick is an exercise in hedging my bets and nabbing one of the more famous people on my shortlist. It's also, probably, very very predictable. I'm selecting Alison Bechdel to revamp The Addams Family.

This on the other hand I get, and am totally not surprised by.

Roth is up until 12:28 tomorrow morning, with lifg on deck.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

DC's always been my preference for superhero comics, and I think it's time that we started going for a new audience with our comics. So, in our usual clueless DC management way, we have decided that it's time to go after the manga fans.

Thus, we're introducing our new editor-in-chief: Kazuhiko Torishima

The former editor-in-chief of Weekly Shonen Jump, and specifically the editor for the first half of Dragon Ball will have the knowledge of which mangaka will translate to which character, as well as his experience in helping to guide the stories.

We'll be using the Kazuhiko from 1984-2001, who was editor during many classic Shonen Jump hits like Dragon Ball, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, and One Piece. The man who bullied Akira Toriyama into creating Cell will be a good fit here at DC.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Jordan7hm posted:

ok I need some more info about what the hell this is.

We have such sights to show you.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I... see

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Not ideal but lifg is skipped. Roth is up until 3pm.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I’m confused, when was my drafting time?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

lifg posted:

I’m confused, when was my drafting time?

You started once Roth picked and had 2 hours, but the clock doesn’t start until it’s 11am edt, so those two hours ran until 1pm edt.

You’re good to pick now in any case.

Roth is up now but if they want to wait for you that’s cool.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
If it’s not too late, I’m going to take my two picks here. I only use the app, so my posts will be short.

For the all-important EIC role, I’ll be drafting the woman who has shown more talent in finding and nurturing new writers and artists than anyone else on the planet: Karen Berger. There are editors out there who can also function as worker and artists, but her single-minded focus on simply being an editor is what places her above them all.

For the first heavy-hitter creative role, I’ll be drafting Osamu Tezuka. He’s one of the most beloved writer/artist double threat in the business. And his first order of business will be completing Phoenix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

lifg posted:

If it’s not too late, I’m going to take my two picks here. I only use the app, so my posts will be short.

For the all-important EIC role, I’ll be drafting the woman who has shown more talent in finding and nurturing new writers and artists than anyone else on the planet: Karen Berger. There are editors out there who can also function as worker and artists, but her single-minded focus on simply being an editor is what places her above them all.

For the first heavy-hitter creative role, I’ll be drafting Osamu Tezuka. He’s one of the most beloved writer/artist double threat in the business. And his first order of business will be completing Phoenix.

Fuuuuuuuuck I knew I should have take Karen.

Roth is up until 3, with How Wonderful on deck.

General question, but do we want to give more time for the picks than 2 hours? There’s no real rush and there are only 9 of us, so slowing down may make it easier for people. 4 hours instead?