Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I am extremely in, and I will take Archie Comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Hello, I'm sorry for missing my pick, there was hell happening in my city. Can I pick now, or do I have to wait for the end of the round?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Well, I was gonna make a pretty normal pick of Grant Morrison, but since that's been taken....

Folks, I chose Archie Comics, and we'll get to the Riverdale crew in a second, but take a little detour with me to the world's most way-past-cool licensed property:

I don't know if you know, but in the mid-90s, Archie Comics basically stopped paying attention to the Sonic property and decided to let the whole thing go absolutely batshit under the supervision of one Ken Penders, a man who loved him some echidnas, hated Sonic as a character, and wanted a shitload of alternate universes, crossover tie-ins, and wanted to insert as many "do not steal" OCs as possible.

I actually have a soft spot for the 94-97 Penders years because its amazing watching someone absolutely wreak havoc on a property you'd think would be closely monitored.... but he got to try some weird things and build epic (and epicly stupid) storylines. But it's no doubt that his hubris damaged the property massively, and that Archie Comic was right to step in and take over again (after one editor went to the supermarket and saw Sonic's dead body on the cover of a comic as he was checking out.)

So, I want to replace 90s Ken Penders as the main writer and creative director. But I want someone who also has some of his more... interesting qualities.

Someone who has a penchant for weird twists and turns.
Someone who works best in isolation.
Someone whose personal backstory is sometimes more interesting than the pages themselves.
Someone who can balance lots of plotlines and still have surprises.
Someone who tries way too many OCs sometimes.....
Someone with a special connection to the Sonic characters........

In the first round, Archie Comics drafts Tails Gets Trolled sage LAZERBOT to take over Sonic the Hedgehog writing duties in the mid-90s under EXTREMELY CAREFUL editorial direction.

(This is my only semi-joke selection, I promise) But even though it's a half-joke, I really do believe that Lazerbot's infamous eight-year crossover comic actually does show great promise. As a writer, Lazerbot includes original twists other writers would never dream of, and I know he wouldn't be afraid to take risks with the property. His recent pages have shown that he's capable of working well with artists, and unlike Penders, he has shown ability to actually learn and grow as a writer.

I would just make sure that his EIC sends memos every day that say "Fight scenes are 5 pages MAXIMUM"

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

How Wonderful! posted:

Alison Bechdel

This is great and smart and I should have expected nothing less after all your excellent effortposts in the Comic Strip thread.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Jordan7hm posted:

ok I need some more info about what the hell this is.

We have such sights to show you.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
In the second round, Archie Comics selects Kelly Sue DeConnick as Editor-In-Chief, circa 2001-Present.

Save this space for rationale later.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
The reason I like Archie Comics so much is that the have such a basic blank slate to start from that you can add basically any elements you want to them, really take any tone you want with them, and still be true to the spirit of the character. For me, no Archie Comics line has proven that more than Sabrina, The Teenage Witch

Sabrina is/can be extremely kid-friendly - it's a story of a young girl learning to use her powers and dealing with boys and crushes and high school things. But, as we've seen since Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa used Sabrina to springboard the Archie Horror line, since her powers broadly invoke the occult, there's a whole playhouse of darker ideas for creatives to use, plenty of opportunities to literally dance with the devil.

That's why in the third round, Archie Comics selects Neil Gaiman to head up the Sabrina, the Teenage Witch line. Neil has great success in both the young adult and mature-audiences markets and he's not afraid of introducing darker themes into kid-friendly literature.

And for era? Let's have some fun and send Neil back to 1980-1992, the height of Satanic Panic, and see if we can't get ourselves a church boycott or two.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
How Wonderful is just killing it with these picks.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

For my next pick, I want an artist that really excels in creating rich worlds, both fantastical and relatively urban:

Carl Barks, creator of Scrooge McDuck, Disney Comics extraordinaire, and Indiana Jones-inspiration will be bringing his talents from Duckburg to Riverdale to pump some much-needed life into the Archie Comics of the 1970s.

What I like about Barks is his world-building, his attention to detail, and the expressiveness of his faces despite their cartoony nature:

(Barks' self-portait looking a little Hiram Lodge there)

If there's a complaint about the simple and clean nature of the Archie Comics' house style through the 60s and 70s, its that it can feel a little flat and sterile. Barks is the counter to that, but also able to create art that is fun and visually exciting without being overwhelming or cluttered.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Endless Mike posted:

I'm shocked you haven't taken James Allen yet!

"And now, new writer/artist for Betty & Veronica - Guy Gilchrist!"

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

How Wonderful! posted:

I do like how everyone's picks are fun and surprising, but also totally consistent with what I know of them as posters.

Well then, this should come as no suprise to you that in the 6th round, Archie Comics picks Will Henry, writer/artist/letterer.

I literally can't stop posting enough of Will Henry's strip Wallace The Brave. It's only been in syndication for about two years, and it's already the best art on the newspaper comics page, with warm, fun writing, enjoyable characters, and impeccable comic timing. Just go search through my posts in the Comic Strip Thread for a million examples of how good this is.

As far as I'm concerned, Will can do whatever he wants, but the most obvious match for his skillset would be the Muppet Babies of Archie Comics - Lil Archie. (A property that, as you can see here, the company has never really known what to do with.)

The mid-2000s were when Archie Comics started getting fun and weird and experimental again, so let's put Will there.

(By the way, I'm going to be remote/out of town from Sunday until Wednesday night, so you can skip my picks for the next couple of days, and I'll do multiple when I get back.)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Okay, I've been happily waiting on this book, one of my favorite cartoonists, who published one of my all-time favorite stories, taking on one of my favorite characters:

Archie Comics picks Bone and Shazam writer/artist Jeff Smith!

Jeff Smith's self-published epic adventure Bone is nothing short of a masterwork, it's whimsical and funny and and truly captures a spirit of comics that's rarely seen these days.

So, who better to take on the task of writing an everyday, hamburger-loving teen, sidekick-turned-scene-stealer, who occassionally has to solve mysteries, travel through time and/or be turned into a werewolf?

Jeff Smith is the new writer/artist for the solo series dedicated to Forsythe Pendleton Jughead Jones III

It will probably cut into his Bone publishing schedule, but we're going to give Jeff the Jughead run from '92-'00, when he was putting out his greatest work and when Archie comics was getting interesting with the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Okay, who broke the first rule of Fight Club?

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1275070026588946434