Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

What's more grown up than gore and boobs? Nothing, that's what. I'll take Avatar Press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Are there any restrictions on geography or style in terms of who we draft?

(I'm regretting not taking Archie Comics for the family friendly adventures of Milo Manara's Betty and Veronica)

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

The new management of Avatar Press would first like to thank the league and the commissioner for hosting this event. We look forward to an excellent event and are very excited about the draft picks to come, both our own and those of our competitors. Best of luck to us all over the next few days and the year to come.

Avatar Press has long had an interest in horror, violence, and the grotesque in our writing and art. Don't expect that to change with the new season and our new management team. Avatar will remain a place where you can expect to be terrified, horrified, and grossed out.

What will change is how we approach that horror and that violence. We want to shift all of our comics away from being "adult" towards being for adults. Comics for grown-ups, comics that will scare grown-ups. Gore has its place, but that place is in service of story, theme and message. In addition, we will be expanding the global scope of our people and our stories. If this year has shown us anything, it's that we are all connected- in our fears.

With that new direction in mind, as its first pick in the 2020 Comics Draft, Avatar Press would like to draft a master of horror manga: Mr. Junji Ito! (Period: 2000-present)

Junji Ito, creator of such works as Uzumaki, Tomie, Gyo, and countless other long and short stories, will serve as a creative director as well as artist and writer at Avatar. He will be responsible for aligning all of our works with our new direction and will ensure that we, as a company, move forward towards our goals while staying true to our roots. His expertise in many forms of horror, from psychological to the gross out, will make him an invaluable asset to our artists, writers, and editors.

In addition, every month we will be serializing Mr. Ito's Cat Diary in "Life in Purgatory", our new monthly anthology comic, a successor and companion to Cinema Purgatorio that focuses on real stories, both personal and historical. Finally, Mr. Ito will be providing an all-new back-up story to a different comic every month, adding another dimension and perspective to the ongoing story. You won't believe what he has cooked up for the relaunch of Crossed!

Thank you all very much.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Not who I expected to go first overall, but Ito is an amazing cartoonist who perfectly fits the Avatar brand. Extremely logical first pick.

Bingo Bango up until 2:11edt, Madkal on deck.

Yeah, I was going back and forth over getting a more contested pick vs committing to the bit. I decided on the latter and it seemed to make the most sense to start from the top and set the tone for my whole draft strategy.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

It's been a great draft so far and we'd like to commend our colleagues on some excellent picks.

For its second and third picks in the 2020 draft, Avatar press is very please to announce the signing of Fletcher Hanks and Richard Corben as writers/artists. The two will collaborate on a revamp of Hanks' Fantomah, which we're excited to have as a flagship series for the new Avatar.

Fletcher Hanks (1939-1941)

Fletcher Hanks, under the guidance of our editors, will be a perfect addition to the Avatar crew. A writer/artist from the Golden Age, he created many fundamentally weird stories with strong horror undertones. His take on the superhero was one of uncompromising morality and a strangely ironic punishment. While only active for 2 years, his work still fascinates to this day.

In addition to Fantomah, Hanks will be developing storylines for a relaunch of Stardust the Super Wizard, with a creative team to be announced in forthcoming rounds, and will be writing and drawing a Big Red McLane story quarterly for Life in Purgatory.

Richard Corben (1975-1996)

Beginning his comics career in the underground comix movement, Richard Corben has too many credits to list here, but famously contributed to Heavy Metal in the 70s and has done work for Marvel, Vertigo, and DC among many others. His lush images, terrifying monsters, and general grasp on the macabre will elevate Hanks' writing to a new level of adult horror.

Alongside his illustration work on Fantomah, Mr. Corben will contribute several covers each month for other Avatar series, and will be writing and drawing his own short stories for Life in Purgatory between arcs of Fantomah.
:nws:https://imgur.com/ilXMiYi:nws:

Fantomah

One of the first female superheroes, predating even Wonder Woman, Fantomah: Mystery Woman of the Jungle is a beautiful woman who protects the jungle and its inhabitants from those who would despoil it by turning her head into a skull and unleashing a variety of superpowers.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

So who better to take the reins of a new take on Corto Maltese than the late, great Darwyn Cooke.

I'm a little sad we won't ever get this.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

I have two creative teams in mind for my next couple picks, now I'm really nervous I'm not going to get them

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Me too!

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

With the last pick of the fourth round and the first pick of the fifth, Avatar press is proud to announce the return of one of its flagship lines under a brand new creative team. That's right, Crossed is returning, with art by the incredible Sophie Campbell and words by the inimitable Al Ewing!

Created by Garth Ennis and Jacen Burroughs, Crossed explores a take on the zombie apocalypse where, rather than becoming mindless flesh eaters, the infected retain their intellect but are compelled to carry our their most evil impulses. Previously this too-often led to extreme gore, violence, and depravity without a deeper examination of the impacts of such a disaster on the human psyche and society. As we've seen from how the world has adapted (or not) to Covid-19, the epidemic apocalypse would likely be much more complicated and needs a deft hand to explore.

Sophie Campbell

Sophie Campbell (Wet Moon, Glory, Jem and the Holograms) has the range needed to capture all the facets of horror in a Crossed world. From facial expression to explosions of violence, everything she draws has weight and impact. She does not shy away from depictions of the grotesque, and imbues them with a savage beauty.

Al Ewing

Al Ewing has been a rising star at Marvel over the past several years and we have targeted him based on his incredible work on the Eisner-nominated Immortal Hulk, in which he's explored the more horrific aspects of the Jade Giant. He is the perfect person to engage with Crossed on a deeper, more thoughtful level while amping up the fear and disgust we want to instill in our readers.

Together this team will show a new, terrible, twilight for humanity as they explore the world of the Crossed.

(Sorry for the shorter than usual post, I'll see if I can beef this up more later)

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Yeah, I should be able to have something tomorrow too

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

That's an impossible act to follow and my brain isn't working lately, so feel free to skip over me and I'll try to get something done in the next few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Effort post to come, but in the interest of keeping things moving:

Becky Cloonan and James Stokoe will alternate 6-month runs on Stardust the Super-Wizard. That way they can do creator owned work as well and I can finally get more Orc Stain.