Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Go big or go home, I'll take Marvel. And just to spice it up, I'm only going to draft from webcomic creators a la Ryan North on Squirrel Girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Skwirl posted:

Someone's gonna snipe John Allison from you out of spite (probably me)

That's fine, more Jeph Jacques for me.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Greetings from the new head Marvel Comics! I made the bold choice of announcing my shtick beforehand, which was to only select webcomic creators, but I'm confident that I'll have plenty of folks to choose from and that most of my list is unlikely to get drafted before I get my chance.

In recent years, Marvel irl has had a lot of great talent from the 'net show up in their comics, either as guests or full-time (Ryan North on Squirrel Girl is probably what comes to mind first). And when going through my preliminary picks, I found that a fair number of them had already done guest work for Marvel. So, I have the added constraint of trying not to draft folks to titles they've already worked on.

Anyway, without further ado, I've decided to put John Allison on Runaways!

In particular, his Bad Machinery period would be an excellent fit for Runaways - the man's already proven that he can write about plucky teens solving mysteries and I think he'd bring a lot of levity and charm to it. I'd expect Mr. Allison to both write and draw it, which I know is a tall order, but I think will ultimately work to the comic's benefit (I also couldn't decide between the two)

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

I think I'm up next? Apologies if I got the order wrong and I'm skipping ahead of someone else.

In perhaps the only move that will get him leave his artisanal cocktail syrup business and making comics again, Marvel has brought Chris Onstad of Achewood fame on as their newest writer.

That's right, he's back baby!

If you're unfamiliar with Achewood, then I don't know what you're doing here in BSS. Clearly, goons have had plenty to say about it and this thread is still pretty active for a comic that ended nearly four years ago. Though some strips haven't aged well, on the whole I'd say it's still one of the funniest comics on the internet and certainly a part of the history of humor online. If you haven't read it, may I recommend starting with The Great Outdoor Fight?

I debated choosing something more unexpected to put Onstad on, but in the end there was only one book that I wanted him to write: Howard the Duck

I mean, it's a cranky, sarcastic duck with a stogie - completely in Onstad's wheelhouse. I think Onstad's absurd and dry sense of humor is a perfect fit for a comic that's sarcastic and self-aware. We at Mavel are looking forward to the first issue, though we aren't holding our breath for him to actually finish it.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Oooh, very good Fantomah pick!

For my third pick, Marvel is drafting the extremely talented Ngozi Ukazua!

Her comic, Check, Please! is about college, hockey, friendship and love. It's a coming-of-age story set against the backdrop of the ice rink and her protagonist Eric Bittle is funny without being too corny, sincere without being hokey. It's a bit of a melodrama, to be sure, but the queer romance at the heart of it is drawn and written in a way that felt real and relatable to me.

Aside from the emotional core of the story, Ukazua also draws the action of hockey in a really compelling way and reminded me how great a sport it is.

Given how much heart and energy there is in her work, I think Ukazua would be an excellent fit for The Amazing Spider-Man.

imo, Peter Parker is at his best when he's a sweet, awkward kid who sometimes does some dumb poo poo but at the end of the day wants to be a good guy. I believe Ukazua would bring the right level of levity and youth to the comic, while probably drawing some really fun action sequences.

To be honest, if I were actually in charge I'd let Ngozi have her pick of whatever Spider-person she wanted - I think she could be equally great on Miles Morales or Spider-Gwen.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

This is an extremely good pick

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

For my next pick, this is one that I would very much like to see manifest itself as a real thing, so here's hoping that by putting that good goon energy out there in the world I can make it a reality.

I haven't been reading Kill Six Billion Demons Tom Parkinson Morgan for very long, but it's quickly become on of my favorites. It's the story of a girl who finds herself suddenly shoved in the the realm of the supernatural and surreal, forced to, you know, kill a lot of demons. The art is fantastic and weird and even if half the time I have no idea what's going on, I'm really happy to be along for the ride.

K6BD is a masterful piece of world-building and I think Morgan is this natural heir to Steve Ditko's Doctor Strange and Marvel is please to draft him as the new artist on the book!

Obviously Morgan favors a darker palate, but I feel like he'd bring a fresh eye to the famously trippy art of Ditko.

Sorry I don't have a lengthier post in me today, maybe I'll come back and add a little more about this one later.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Shoot, skip me for the moment I'll post my pick later tonight or tomorrow morning but I don't want to hold anyone up!

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

drat, I was not anticipating Erika Moen getting snagged! This is what I get for skipping my turn.

So, jumping back into it, Marvel Comics is very excited about the future of the the X-Men franchise, with Tracy Butler! Her comic, Lackadaisy is a juggernaut of a webcomic. Started it 2006, it's won pretty much every award its been nominated for, has been translated, and an animated movie is currently in the works.

"Oh," you might be saying right about now, "I see it's a furry webcomic." Well, it's true that furries have certainly embraced it and Butler has embraced this portion of her fanbase, she's made it clear that the comic was never intended to appeal to furries and the choice to have her cast of character as cats was more for characterization purposes.

The comic itself is set in Prohibition-era St. Louis and is about a struggling speakeasy. It's both funny and dramatic and Butler draws a lot of wonderful genre references from the period - everything from screwball comedies to moodier noir-esque tones.

Why X-Men?
1. I think Butler knows how to balance action with interpersonal drama in a diverse ensemble cast and I think she'd have a lot of fun bring out some of the soap-y tenancies of the X-Men without making it overbearing.
2. I, for one, would welcome the return of Cat-Beast

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Roth posted:

For resident go fast guy, The Flash we have to decided to bring on ONE of One Punch Man and Mob Psycho 100 fame.

ONE was gonna be my pick for Hulk, but if I was going to see him at another published, I'm glad he'd be working on The Flash.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Hannah Blumenreich's Spidey Zine is and insanely good slice of life comic, so giving her the ol' webslinger seems like the obvious choice, right?

Well, we here at Marvel love to subvert your expectations and instead have asked Ms. Blumenreich to take the helm as the writer and artist on special Ms.Marvel! limited series! She won't be taking over permanently from Saladin Ahmed and Minkyu Jung, but doing something over a series of 5-6 issues about what that Kamala Khan has been up to.

Additionally, you can support Hannah's Patreon where she regularly posts a lot of great sketches!

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

What a perfect way to re-start this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Marvel thinks it's time for a fresh take on that classic femme fatale, Black Widow

A Cold War villain turned Avenger, Black Widow is the ultimate super spy, tactician, and I (clearly) really love the way John Buscema drew her in the 1970s. She's never been a character I felt particularly strongly about, but I always kind of find myself surprised how much I enjoy her when she shows up in the comics I read. With a tortured love life and back story, I think it's high-time we bring a little more levity to ol' Natalia's life, which is why Marvel is pleased to announce Kate Beaton of Hark! A Vagrant fame will be taking over.

Now, you may know Beaton best for her various history comics, but if you're like me, the first thing that may have come to mind were the Strong Female Characters strips:

And you wouldn't be wrong - these are a great send-up of Black Widow and Widow-esque characters, especially in the post-MCU era. However, I think Beaton's excellent grasp of humor, both goody and deadpan, would be a joy to see and read. I mean, just look at her Cloak and Dagger strip:

I will now leave you with my favorite drawing of Wolverine of all time: