Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Huh, that sounds interesting. Wouldn't the "pod" get alerted after the first kill though? I thought that nullified Shadow Sniping bonuses. And Impulse Field seems REALLY common the later you get. Can she even one shot bosses or does she have trouble with Final Resistance? What about folks with Second Heart/Phoenix? I guess if you stick in Mech Hunter she might be capable of taking out Bicrons in one shot. Might play around with it but it feels like there would be too many points of failure for Hard Challenging which is how I usually play, since any enemy might just randomly have Impulse Field.

Well, I mean you don't have to solo with her, she's just an incredibly strong attacker the rest of the time. There are definitely some mega-tank bosses with Final Resistance and 150% block (like the Skull guy) but she can still just poke at them from outside of their range if necessary.

As for alerting enemies, even when a pod is alerted they still have a sight range. Press V to see it on the ground. As long as she's standing outside the enemy's sight range her skills will still proc even if they're alerted. She might need some extra sight and range of her own to do this though, I can't remember.

Edit: I also play on Hard.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What's your Giselle build, because I'm reaching the point where she struggles against anyone that has a decent block rate which is like a lot as I go through the endgame.

I have her as a Hunter for the +20 speed and giving the doggy even more power.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Giselle can one-shot some bosses, I wouldn't say impulse fields is common across bosses, although the ones you tend to run across more than once (like Darius) have it. If you're really concerned with dealing with block you should put on the spirit mastery set:

The Spirit of Hero
Pouring Spirit + Overwhelming Spirit + Overflowing Spirit + The Spirit that Never Gives Up
The Spirit that Never Gives Up: Dodge and block further increases by 0.1% per 1 SP when attacking enemy lvl is higher.
Overwhelming Spirit: Enemy dodge and block further decreases by 0.1% per 1 SP when target is lvl in lower.

Final resistance only triggers from 33% hp down so the best solution is to kill them from 50% :v:

Normally I just use other chars like Irene (she has a skill that ignores block entirely) or Albus (or even Sion, since he does so much raw damage block can't always stop him) to deal with high block.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The problem with Overwhelming Spirit is, well, playing on Challenge means it never procs unless Giselle happens to both be the highest level character in the party AND happen to level up during the mission.

Edit: Challenge also makes completely random enemies have Impulse Field which really can catch you by surprise.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

What's your Giselle build, because I'm reaching the point where she struggles against anyone that has a decent block rate which is like a lot as I go through the endgame.

I have her as a Hunter for the +20 speed and giving the doggy even more power.

She's level 49 right now though so you'd have to cut away at some stuff, I dunno where exactly. She's a sniper because she snipes things. I've never even used the pet, tbh, I just keep it in the back to get levels. Serial Shot more or less gets around block/impulse fields, and its cooldown decreases with every kill so it's mostly a matter of pacing yourself.

That said, while theoretically she could kill an entire map by herself in one turn, in practice that's never actually happened. Killing like 2-10 guys per turn and crippling one more is still pretty good though! And she usually gets so many kills on her turn that her AT is reduced to like 30 or something anyway. Ray is necessary to restore her Vigor periodically, but most of her shots happen under Overcharge anyway so they're free. ...Ray is also super strong though so it feels bad.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 25, 2020

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

A timir dog is overpowered. As tanky as a magic armor Irene/Sion, hits harder than a fully powered Leton, and its lightning chain does as much as Sion.

And this is just a regular dog, not even a Legendary one.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Clarste posted:

She's level 49 right now though so you'd have to cut away at some stuff, I dunno where exactly. She's a sniper because she snipes things. I've never even used the pet, tbh, I just keep it in the back to get levels. Serial Shot more or less gets around block/impulse fields, and its cooldown decreases with every kill so it's mostly a matter of pacing yourself.

That said, while theoretically she could kill an entire map by herself in one turn, in practice that's never actually happened. Killing like 2-10 guys per turn and crippling one more is still pretty good though! And she usually gets so many kills on her turn that her AT is reduced to like 30 or something anyway. Ray is necessary to restore her Vigor periodically, but most of her shots happen under Overcharge anyway so they're free. ...Ray is also super strong though so it feels bad.

You're missing out, pets can be SUPER good. Dogs can be insanely tanky, you can build frogs to do some GROSS things with reactive attacks, some of the birds are great supporters and Draki are just all round amazing. Yasha are the only kinda lame pet type.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

A timir dog is overpowered. As tanky as a magic armor Irene/Sion, hits harder than a fully powered Leton, and its lightning chain does as much as Sion.

And this is just a regular dog, not even a Legendary one.

Really? Because Sion does like 13,000 damage.

Infinity Gaia posted:

You're missing out, pets can be SUPER good. Dogs can be insanely tanky, you can build frogs to do some GROSS things with reactive attacks, some of the birds are great supporters and Draki are just all round amazing. Yasha are the only kinda lame pet type.

I'm leveling up a Draki, it just hadn't gotten to the point where it can meaningfully contribute to battle and then the game is over.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Clarste posted:

Really? Because Sion does like 13,000 damage.

I'm comparing just their chain lightning attacks, but I haven't specced out my Timir for ESP (cause it just has the chain lightning).

Outside of the high stats, you can also stack an easy 2-400 extra power on it from Giselle's passives, beast masteries, and Veil.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Pets are ultra strong (especially the Drakis if built properly); just taming is a pain and I just like using sniper.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
I mean my sion can chain lightning for 13k damage as well, hell he can single handidly wipe out an entire group now just by casting thunderbolt 10 times a turn now its great

RoyalScion posted:

Pets are ultra strong (especially the Drakis if built properly); just taming is a pain and I just like using sniper.

Ya this has been my problem as well, taming is a pain and I didn't want to dig into pet mastery's as well after doing 9 troubleshooter mastery's and mech mastery's

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SpRahl posted:

I mean my sion can chain lightning for 13k damage as well, hell he can single handidly wipe out an entire group now just by casting thunderbolt 10 times a turn now its great

Ya this has been my problem as well, taming is a pain and I didn't want to dig into pet mastery's as well after doing 9 troubleshooter mastery's and mech mastery's

I think the only thing that holds Sion back is the unimpressive range on his skills.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
This game is pretty cool and overall I'm enjoying it. The lack of polish and the awful translations don't really bother me since the base gameplay is solid. It has features that xcom could learn from, especially the movement and attack previews. For a small indie game (I'm assuming) it's impressive.

The main thing that's bothering me about it is the lack of any real strategic/time pressure. The option to grind endlessly repeatable side missions for gear/levels makes the whole thing feel more like a sandbox. Obviously you can forego that and make the game more challenging by way of conduct choices, but that doesn't feel nearly the same as racing against the clock, getting by with whatever you can scrounge together when your A squad is down, etc. That's probably an upside for some people but I really miss it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The game ramps up unlike xcom where the last quarter is a victory lap.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I really don’t want to restart a hundred hour story campaign because I hit some fail state

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tae posted:

The game ramps up unlike xcom where the last quarter is a victory lap.

I haven't got to the endgame, but yeah, so far I think the biggest pacing difference between XCOM and Troubleshooter is that the former begins hard and gets easier as it progresses, while the latter is very easy at first but the opposition actually rises to the bullshit you're outfitting later in the game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ZearothK posted:

I haven't got to the endgame, but yeah, so far I think the biggest pacing difference between XCOM and Troubleshooter is that the former begins hard and gets easier as it progresses, while the latter is very easy at first but the opposition actually rises to the bullshit you're outfitting later in the game.

The endgame enemies are 120% bullshit. In a good way.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I swear violent mission Darius is the first time I’ve been so heavily punished for “eh, might as well” potshots in any game. Anger Strike is some scary poo poo if you’ve never seen it before

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I've opened up jurisdiction in a second district, but my mission board still says my first district up top. Is there a way to see what missions are in the other district?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So for the 'Scent of the Past' mission, do I need to actually finish the mission each time or can I just pick the different options and then abandon it to get the different mastery unlocks?

Best Friends posted:

I've opened up jurisdiction in a second district, but my mission board still says my first district up top. Is there a way to see what missions are in the other district?

Missions unlock by level and as you complete them. You can check which mission is in what jurisdiction by selecting the district and they'll be listed or by selecting the mission and it'll tell you which district its in.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Nephthys posted:

So for the 'Scent of the Past' mission, do I need to actually finish the mission each time or can I just pick the different options and then abandon it to get the different mastery unlocks?

Missions unlock by level and as you complete them. You can check which mission is in what jurisdiction by selecting the district and they'll be listed or by selecting the mission and it'll tell you which district its in.

You need to finish it each time, which is why that mission is so short.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Nephthys posted:

Thank you!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I played this back in February before all the poo poo went down and I tried to pick it back up but I think I'm gonna have to restart, my brain is broken to where no matter how far into a game I am if I take a break from it I always need to restart. I've played the first four hours of Radiata Stories like six times.

Anyways, this game is very fun. I think the XCOM grid system gives people a weird impression of what the game will be like because it seems like people expect things like permadeath, generic units, etc. when in reality it's much more like FFT or Disgaea. It's hard to believe this is an indie game with the amount of work in it though - the character facial textures are janky but it's got so much poo poo in it that I'm glad I was patient with it when I originally saw this on the EA Steam page three years ago. For ten dollars this was an insane deal.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Tried Sniper Giselle for a few missions. Eh...it seems fine? I have no idea, but it's hard to compare to Beast which just gives straight up +20 speed. And she doesn't really kill harder on things that she struggles with before.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The thing I like with Sniper Giselle is Fire Support, personally. Makes her real good against assholes with Impulse Fields. Still don't like it as much as simply having a ultra beastly Draki added to my team, but I can understand not wanting to do the insane Draki grind. If someone wants a less grindy but still obscene pet, go that swamp mission with all the Negoori's and capture the Albino one. That thing is just obscene if you spec it for reactive attacks because it inflicts FREEZING with its basic melee. Only downside is you DEFINITELY need to be using Hunter Giselle for it since it's a Legendary.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

Tried Sniper Giselle for a few missions. Eh...it seems fine? I have no idea, but it's hard to compare to Beast which just gives straight up +20 speed. And she doesn't really kill harder on things that she struggles with before.

I dunno what your standards are but 20 speed seems like trash compared to getting infinite free actions? Like, I can totally imagine a beastly pet that kills everything and is invincible, but 20 speed would not be why.

It might be an equipment problem too though: obviously you're very reliant on having a good weapon and stat boosts from armor.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
The build I used for a bunch of the game for Giselle wasnt the best but I remember it had like base defense and the mastery that lowers your action time if you conceal that plus lowered shooting delay mastery and a few others and Giselle took like 3 actual turns (not counting refunded actions) compared to most characters 1 so ya 20 speed isnt really a big deal to me

Whats a solid non legendary beast for a sniper Giselle to have tag along as a bud?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

You only need the special mastery if you want to CAPTURE a legendary beast and use it, you don't need it if you evolve into a Legendary so honestly? The Draki of your choice. Draki are just very very good in general. If not that, then I'd probably go for a Spark Tima or a Negoori of your preference. I like the lightning and poison ones personally, but they're all pretty decent at different things, even if none of them come even close to being as insanely good as the Albino Negoori. If you want a supporter, some of the Dorori seem alright but I tend to go for a heavily aggressive strategy so I didn't play around much with the more support elements of stuff. The only pet to really avoid is Yashas, unless they have some hidden bullshit I never uncovered they just never manage to do anything of real worth.

Oh, right, special award goes to Adventurer Dorori for its unique personal mastery that makes it an incredible bodyguard for Anne.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

SpRahl posted:

The build I used for a bunch of the game for Giselle wasnt the best but I remember it had like base defense and the mastery that lowers your action time if you conceal that plus lowered shooting delay mastery and a few others and Giselle took like 3 actual turns (not counting refunded actions) compared to most characters 1 so ya 20 speed isnt really a big deal to me

Whats a solid non legendary beast for a sniper Giselle to have tag along as a bud?

I'm using that combo with her and Heixing and it's strong as hell. I also have Positioning (-20 AT hitting from still stance) and You're Already Dead (-20 AT on a kill and +15% headshot). She has 45% headshot chance and if she kills from still stance its -50 AT and she gets a free conceal. With the pet as well I think she's the strongest character in the game.

Also I've tried out Hacker Kylie and although her sets look pretty garbage the regular masteries are incredibly strong. She starts off with over 100% block and basically does double damage by default. Being frugal with her protocols is fine. I'm considering running her into groups with responsive fire up and seeing what happens.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Okay, I have a serious question for the thread. Has anyone here actually managed to beat Blue Fog Distribution Center G, aka the Mission With Like Thirty Bicrons... WITHOUT basically cheesing the whole thing by having Kylie hack one of the bosses? Because that poo poo seems drat near impossible unless you're actually specifically gearing up for it by giving everyone Machine Hunter or something. I went back to the mission, in non-Challenge mode, with my Just-Beat-The-Story party and gave it a serious try and it's just... It's just so hard. On the other hand, if you just get Kylie to hack Red Eye then the mission might as well be over as every enemy on the map converges to get murdered by it.

Edit: Also, has anyone actually managed to fit Leton into their party? He joined so late I was way too lazy to figure out a way to include him. If so, can you show me what kinda Mastery setup you got for him? Now that I'm just semi-pointlessly grinding to fulfill my own brain worms I figure I might as well give him a try.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 10:26 on May 26, 2020

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I barely beat that mission without a hacker cause I forgot, but it involved everyone having emp grenades and Kylie spamming holograms.

I might need to progress through the story some more cause I still haven't seen any of those masteries you posted earlier and I just opened up the draki breeding mission.

Tae fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 26, 2020

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Just give everybody emp grenades, fighting bicrons without them is terrible. I guess technically you could wait until they all run out of fuel but I'm not interested in waiting that long. They all have extremely high armor and tons of ridiculous abilities so you don't actually want to fight "fair".

Leton is actually one of the strongest characters in the game because he has access to the mastery that makes any ability/item that causes frostbite to cause freeze instead, and freeze is one of the strongest statuses in the game since it's basically stun but less people resist it. Just load up on improved frost grenades with the useable item masteries and freeze every single dangerous dude until they're dead.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 26, 2020

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
This game looks awesome but I've heard the translation is very spotty overall. Are there signs of it being fixed up over time, or is it likely to stay as is? Wondering how hard it'd be to follow things along and understand the mechanics properly, mostly.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Transient People posted:

This game looks awesome but I've heard the translation is very spotty overall. Are there signs of it being fixed up over time, or is it likely to stay as is? Wondering how hard it'd be to follow things along and understand the mechanics properly, mostly.

The translation for the actual combat is decent enough, half the walls of text when you click on a skill is just explaining the key words.

The translation for the story is being updated weekly, it doesn't really get kinda loopy until near the end when Spoonisms go deep into The Feast and Spoon in your Heart.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
The translation is being aided along by community volunteers. Current effort is focused on mechanics text, but (for example) fixes for subtitle spelling and grammar are queued up for review

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tae posted:

The translation for the actual combat is decent enough, half the walls of text when you click on a skill is just explaining the key words.

The translation for the story is being updated weekly, it doesn't really get kinda loopy until near the end when Spoonisms go deep into The Feast and Spoon in your Heart.

Some of the mechanics text can have some just hilarious issues though. I can't figure out WHAT freaking mastery or ability or whatever it was now that I've gone looking for it, but SOMETHING I saw earlier said something along the lines of "Increases damage by Fire times to targets currently in 2 condition".

I wonder what possible plot reason they're going to give for allowing the players access to Bicrons in future content. It's almost guaranteed you'll get some because of the fact that you can craft a bunch of sub-weapon equipment which, as far as I can tell, can exclusively be equipped by Bicrons...

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Tae posted:

Good enough for me, then! I'll get it and keep an eye out, it looked like it had a ton of promise months ago and it's only gonna get better with time. :)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Is albino negoori the only good one or something?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

Okay, I have a serious question for the thread. Has anyone here actually managed to beat Blue Fog Distribution Center G, aka the Mission With Like Thirty Bicrons... WITHOUT basically cheesing the whole thing by having Kylie hack one of the bosses? Because that poo poo seems drat near impossible unless you're actually specifically gearing up for it by giving everyone Machine Hunter or something. I went back to the mission, in non-Challenge mode, with my Just-Beat-The-Story party and gave it a serious try and it's just... It's just so hard. On the other hand, if you just get Kylie to hack Red Eye then the mission might as well be over as every enemy on the map converges to get murdered by it.

Its not really that impossible extreme liberal use of smoke grenades by the police can mitigate loses ( people will still probably die) if you dont mind the debuffs a lot of Rays attacks can also be used as improvise smoke, Sion can easily one shot any of the non boss bicrons and some of the boss ones, same for Heix with annihilation shot tho that requires overcharge, Anne can entangle a Bicron so it doesnt run away and then you have swat surround it and kick it in the balls over and over so it doesn't ever get a turn just try not to let Anne die doing this. Said Swat members also start with emp grenades that are great, another note on those for the boss bicrons, if they are shutdown when they are killed they do not activate suicidal berserk mode so they just die rather than being immortal for 3 turns and then dying, freezing also works well on most of the Bicrons so if you have the ice mastery that makes frostbite turn into freeze its a good pick. And ya if you can find any to buy (I actually never have) buying EMP grenades and loading them on everyone is pretty good

The real problem is if another group of bicrons unexpectedly gets agro while you are still dealing with other bullshit, impulse fields on people that can afford it help prevent them from just running in and one shot a party member and Irene with Iron Wall and or magic shield can draw aloooot of fire onto herself. The mission also strongly suggests you hack into the warehouse which...I feel is not the best idea, it puts you very close to several boss bicrons and one of them alerts the entire map when aggroed. Entering the warehouse from the already open doors does get very crowded but you can deal with the occupants more at your own pace.

Kylie's Decoy protocol basically draws all aggro onto it as well, so proactive use of those might save someone from death.

Edit:also honestly hacking just a normal Bicron and replacing it as needed is strong enough for me let alone hacking one of the bosses

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Do you have to craft Kylie's weapons to get upgrades?

Also yeah Hacker is definitely the stronger class. I haven't been using decoy protocol because I'm not sure its necessary when you have that much innate block, dodge and damage reduction and crit anything that attacks you with no AT cost.