Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Speaking of, what are some builds that get through the final mission? I 100% stonewalled there, as I've been playing pretty interminently for the last two years and have lost the optimization brain that would let me thrive there.

Ranger/overwatch/reaction Heixing is good. Zoom ahead with your actions, clean up enemy phase.

Same with bleed sword master Albus. Can chain enemies to reach and guard objective.

Mages can be basic one shot one kill/catharsis glass cannons.

Sniper/fire support Giselle should be able to get lots of extra turns, keep up that way.

Piercing the battlefield grenadier Ray can zoom anywhere, and should be able to one hit the weaker enemies (rogues and snipers).

Put reactive/attack/move abilities on Kylie, she is super mobile and attack protocol should deal with any non boss foe.

Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Smiling Knight posted:

Ranger/overwatch/reaction Heixing is good. Zoom ahead with your actions, clean up enemy phase.

Same with bleed sword master Albus. Can chain enemies to reach and guard objective.

Mages can be basic one shot one kill/catharsis glass cannons.

Sniper/fire support Giselle should be able to get lots of extra turns, keep up that way.

Piercing the battlefield grenadier Ray can zoom anywhere, and should be able to one hit the weaker enemies (rogues and snipers).

Put reactive/attack/move abilities on Kylie, she is super mobile and attack protocol should deal with any non boss foe.

Good luck!

That's not too far from what I am doing, but it really didn't work against the Destron hell. Is there another after that?

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

ZearothK posted:

That's not too far from what I am doing, but it really didn't work against the Destron hell. Is there another after that?

Oops, sorry, thought you meant non-DLC endgame! If you’re up against destron hell, here are my loadouts:

Albus: lol useless, haven’t bothered to find a good build for him

Sion: black mage/lightning masteries to strip resistance. With the Magical Library set, he should be able to take a couple bullets in retaliation.

Irene: magic reactor/release magic/magic explosion/magic wall, with fancy draki scale in equip slot. Can tank destrons indefinitely and do real good damage when it’s her turn.

Anne: rock castle/reactive healing white mage. Crit stone throwing witch is really good too, but destrons get so many reactions that I find the reactive healing is very good.

Heixing: still reaction ranger! The white destrons don’t get free dodge, and he’ll tear through them. I also have a janky Machine Killer version I can share if you’d like.

Ray: support alchemist with Shake It! Can heal, give overcharge (to Irene with Chain personal ability!), and do a bit of chip damage.

Kylie: janky Hacker. Honestly not great, could use tweaking.

— tankbot, the robot that tanks. Robot with +durability sets. Won’t do poo poo for damage but buys a ton of time.

Gisellle: sniper with the masteries boosting her armor break and weapon break. Good damage and the debuffs add up.

— Dark Draki Baron, with the fog masteries. Quite durable and can inflict armor debuffs with breath.

Leton: pure counterattack martial artist with lots of +block. He is not as durable as Irene but does big damage on counters.

Bianca: Damage black mage with wind defensive masteries. Doesn’t hit as hard as Sion but a bit more durable.

Alissa: barbarian will eat a ton of enemy actions, do very variable amounts of damage, then die. I’ve also tried Path of Ashuram’s overcharge white knight, which seemed solid but not super impactful.

Misty: path of Ashuram’s rogue. Murders the boss, appropriately, and with Hide can take chunks out of destrons.

Strategy-wise, the key thing with destrons is establishing a cordon. Your front rank should consist of units who won’t die, but will attract aggro. The AI loves going for units it thinks it can one-shot, but doesn’t factor in block chance or masteries. So Magic Wall Irene, a robot, Sentinel Leton, and high-SP Rock Castle Anne are ideal for this. Poke ahead slowly with these guys. Get them to eat the Destrons’ sword attacks. Then, when one hits or breaches the outer layer, collapse immediately on it. Move your mages in range, under smoke cover, to blast away. Surround with melee. Pile on the reaction, pincer, covering attack chains. Do not let it get a second turn! Or, if it does, it’ll waste it on the surrounding tanks. Then collapse on the next one.

Enemies should either be chipping away with their guns uselessly at the outer cordon, or charging in at the outer layer with swords and getting mobbed.

Gundum miniboss is unbelievably durable but doesn’t hit too too hard, save for last.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

My composition for the final main campaign mission:
Irene and Leton as martial artist block/reaction attackers. They were the primary frontline tanks.

GS Albus and BM Bianca specced for high mobility 1S1K, they were dedicated to deleting snipers and other humans. Always end their turns out of sight or at least in high cover/elevation from the destrons. I saved the big fight until last, where they made a kamikaze run. Bianca bit the dust, but Albus can get good enough blocking/DR to survive a couple turns of Destron fire, even as a glass cannon.

Basically the same Giselle and Heixing builds as mentioned above. I eventually dedicated a couple turns to parking Giselle in a sniper tower, and she stayed there for the rest of the mission :sicknasty:

Black mage Sion did the most damage by far. Anne was glued to his side for the entire mission, so he didn’t get KO’d. You can probably do something less risky than that.

I hadn’t yet learned how to use Alisa well at that point, nor learned a good anti-machine/buff build for Ray. I did have Ray specced for overcharge though, which led to some spectacular nukes.

I had some sort of super tanky Tima and robot, they drew a lot of aggro.

Bianca as hacker. She spent most of the mission plinking away from behind cover, occasionally running out to disable a destron.

E:smoke grenades are MVP

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 12, 2024

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

ZearothK posted:

If you're still working on this, there's always GRADING CRAB if you just want to cheese poo poo.

If you want a low-effort setup and/or going for the no one dies achievement:

Play far left. Left side of the left parking lot. If you're too close to the right side they can come down the middle and see/shoot through the wall.

Take out your chain killing builds, 1s1k, etc. There is no place for them here. Second hearts and impulse fields if you want to go for the achievement in a safe way, but they're by no means necessary.

Heixing: Reaction ranger. Machine killer, legend killer if you have it. Probably end up being like 90% of your damage.

Giselle: Traps are kings of the post-mungo world. All traps, reload traps, trap eq set, but especially make sure you're freezing big targets (like the rx-78)

Kylie: Hacker. Keep the hologram up all the time. If the hologram is still alive on your turn you can either hack one of the big guys or support someone else into taking a turn. Reboot for more charges.

Irene, Sion, Leton: Tanks. Leton specifically freeze tank with frost grenades. Keep things frozen.

Anne, Ray: Healing support. Anne can play up with defensive masteries, reactive heal. Ray needs to hang back more.

Albus, Alisa, Misty: All of these are very physical/counterattack people for me, but not nearly tanky enough to be frontline. I leave them all in the back middle of the parking lot to deal with the normal destrons that invariably come from that direction, and then ran them up the middle to kill P after everything had moved away from him.

Bianca: Just a black mage at the back line. Hang back and blast stuff.

Keep big guys frozen, hacked, or working uselessly on holograms. Shield's stats are so loving stupid its not worth fighting in any serious way. Kill everything else and then come back to it last and just surround it and send it to AT hell.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 23, 2024

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Also it seems like revives don't void the achievement, but pets/drones dying does. So if you're going for that either use big tanky boys, or backline ones like White Hat I suppose.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Thanks! I haven't really gotten around to it yet, so all build advice is welcome.

lol, I had 100% achievements by the time Black Witch White Lion came out, I will really need to take a month off for TS if I want to have that completion again

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
https://twitter.com/BraveDandyLion/status/1752333492841816111?s=20

Operation *checks notes* Vag Hunt will commence.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Troubleshooters, we heard you and have changed the name. They are now called the Wap.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Giselle studying some tracks, getting up and saying the coochie went that way

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Albus spending all day reading pickup artist books, becoming the terror of the Wind Wall club scene.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Well, that's one way to drive sales for the next game.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

new baddies

looks like the sequel will have some actual generic lady enemies to fight

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Finally a game where I can farm goths

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
But Tactics Ogre is right there???

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

they love to smile...

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

quote:

Hi! 🙂

Her name is "Aurora" and everyone around her calls her "Ari," her nickname. She is a 19-year-old girl as of A.E. 804 and the main character of "Banished Children". So the story of "Banished Children" will be a her travelogue goes through in the Kalter Mountains for a year!

Have a great weekend!

Bow and arrow main character...

OK now we just need the marketing to be splash with images of one of the dudes in the game so we can recreate that thing where people assume Irene was the main character.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Snooze Cruise posted:

OK now we just need the marketing to be splash with images of one of the dudes in the game so we can recreate that thing where people assume Irene was the main character.

They better! Just put Carter in there.

Also they must have shifted the main plot a lot. Wasn't the original plan to continue Albus' story? Which was then scrapped to have a game centred on Carter and the Spoonists? And now we are following a whole new character?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think when they talked about the spoonist stuff before they said it was going to be like a prologue or something, if I am remembering correctly, so they will still probably be in play? Who knows.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Need to know the element so I can start theorycrafting.

Also they liked a tweet of mine. Very exciting since I've tweeted like two things ever.

https://x.com/Saint_Freak/status/1757033006651318625?s=20

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

drat, congrats! That's some efficient playing, I am at, uh, 296 hours and like 89% cheevos and I don't even want to know how many missing masteries.

Snooze Cruise posted:

I think when they talked about the spoonist stuff before they said it was going to be like a prologue or something, if I am remembering correctly, so they will still probably be in play? Who knows.

Oh yeah, I think they're in that region, so we'll likely have Carter and his Spoonists, the Hanged Clowns and Giselle hunting them at the very least.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah I assume everyone will eventually come back into play, a soft reset is probably for the best at the start of things though since for as much as I like Abandon Children's story, it takes a while for it to find its footing.

Saint Freak posted:

Need to know the element so I can start theorycrafting.

Maybe it will be something goofy like different arrows doing different elements like you see in other games. Bit trickier like, figure out in Troubleshooter with how elements work here but I could also see them doing some cool creative stuff with that.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is Troubleshooter 1 "done" in terms of content? I didn't want to really get into the game while there was DLC in development since it was unlikely for me to come back to the game to play the DLC, so if they're done with it all, it's time for me to shoot some troubles, or whatever.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

go hog wild all planed content is released.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Time to finally main a ship.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The only canon ship is Irene + JUSTICE.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

ZearothK posted:

drat, congrats! That's some efficient playing, I am at, uh, 296 hours and like 89% cheevos and I don't even want to know how many missing masteries.

Oh yeah, I think they're in that region, so we'll likely have Carter and his Spoonists, the Hanged Clowns and Giselle hunting them at the very least.

Getting all masteries is... tedious. But not that bad. I think it was 20O (?) that I ended up running a bunch of times to get the information jurisdiction reports while also ranking up pets. There are definitely faster maps (which would then give you less pet rank/xp), or harder maps for more pet rank (which would then be slower to finish) so I think that was about the sweet spot to finish everything out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I will never get all masteries because I will never extract a psy-crystal in my life.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, what stops me from completing masteries is capturing all the pets and then levelling them. I remember using the first ordinary case to level up drones and pets (and new party members) back in the day, since you could clear it super fast with Ray with the +XP to everyone set. I have so many crabs and monkeys to tame.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I kind of fell off the game after the big difficulty spike of the first DLC just because it wasn't clear to me how to navigate it and make my party strong enough for it to not be a problem. I should collect more masteries and clear levels I skipped over the first time, of course, but how exactly to do that is not always clear. And it can be boring to clear levels I skipped, too, since even with the game bringing up enemy levels to match my characters they tend to be pretty easy. I definitely want to get back into it, but there's a big mental barrier there.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
There's a cheat code in the game to unlock all masteries! (it's in the help somewhere)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Walh Hara posted:

There's a cheat code in the game to unlock all masteries! (it's in the help somewhere)

Oh, that's neat, if dishonourable. i will probably use it. Does it disable cheevos?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Oh, that's neat, if dishonourable. i will probably use it. Does it disable cheevos?

I think so. You could probably abuse that by using that cheat code in one campaign and then starting a new one with the option "keep all unlocks from this other campaign".

By the way I'm pretty happy the protagonist of the second game is a hunter because that makes it quite likely we'll get access to monster taming very early on.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

A lot of the additional mechanics will probably be introduced a little earlier this time around.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The majority of stuff they shown so far is the new beasts so yeah taming being way earlier seems like a safe bet?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

https://twitter.com/BraveDandyLion/status/1762825792831312273

First Vag and now Wag

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

wagging in the great vag hunt

Yeah, given the previewed new character it seems there will be a bigger focus on catching and taming pets this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvWzj3JGswQ
also hey, Mortismal dropped Troubleshooter as easily his favorite tactics rpg and honestly I can't disagree there. Hopefully that will drive up some sales Dandy's way

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its my favorite srpg for sure! Troubleshooter! Troubleshooter.

Yeah I was thinking a lot of the new animals look cuter in general than the older ones too, which is another point in favor of taming being a bigger thing. Like the turtle crocodiles have a wonderful smile, i love them.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Honestly, I was never a big fan of taming any random beast. I think I'd prefer it if there were like only one of each species available as more of a unique/quest thing, kind of like the adventuring Dodori. I'd be more attached to them that way.

I doubt they'd do that though (or if they did, it'd be just adding more unique monsters on top of everything else).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The way you get dragons is really neat and they are very cute when they are small.