Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ZearothK posted:

I literally can't think of a single character in this game who might possibly be straight.

You could construct an Albus/Giselle relationship or an Albus/Irene relationship out of what's there pretty easily and Kylie has like 3 possible heterosexual relationships. Ray has some lines about how she thinks Albus is cute and god knows people have launched ships on a lot less than that.

There's definitely more gay relationship hinting than straight, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

oh yeah totally. they were saying it was coming from bibi's side as well, which is what was baffling considering the second half of your post.

If you're extremely anime-brained I can see interpreting Bianca's behavior towards Albus as stereotypically "it's not like I *like* you or anything" tsundere. I don't agree with it at all because Bianca and Alisa are about as blatant as you can possibly get without having an on screen wedding, but I can actually understand where some people come up with that idea.

I think a fair amount of it is just there's a lot of people who automatically look for het relationships before they look for gay ones.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I don't even know why they let you choose online/offline. AFAIK you can play an online corp just fine even if you don't have a connection to the internet, you just can't use the online stuff like shooter street.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

Picked this game up last week. drat, its a lot of fun. Also holy poo poo, there's a ton of weird systems and mechanics. I'm 20 hours in and I just discovered meal sets. I haven't crafted a single item because :effort: and now every time I go shopping at the market I get like 5 new sidequests so I can be friends(???) with the shopkeepers.

Crafting is a nightmare rabbit hole. You never have to interact with it unless you care about really minmaxing the gently caress out of your gear to do max difficulty optional content stuff, and if you do interact with it you're looking at hours and hours of time investment to grind money to afford materials and to collect elemental ingredients from missions in the wilds. Stay away from it until you're quite late in the game if you're interested, because starting in on it is easier once you're completely established.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The flip side is that if Irene is built well, the enemies have also run into a brick wall.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I tend to run both Irene and Sion as tanky melee builds because you get a lot of characters who can do fantastic DPS but very few who can reliably anchor a line against overwhelming odds. Sion's damage build is absolutely horrifying and incredibly impressive but there are other people who can do almost as well(or even potentially better).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Tiramisu posted:

Wow holy poo poo. I always thought it was true distance. Insane that Irene lacks object permanence.

Is it really that surprising? :allears:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I have to wonder how the next part is going to work. In my head, the only way it can possibly work is if everyone is reset to level dogshit, because if you just carry over your endgame team and keep scaling from there the sequel is going to be dragonball Z by the ten hour mark due to how much power creep will happen.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Clarste posted:

Anne's costumes somehow make her look even younger.

I think it's because the art for them makes her look like she's three feet tall.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

So I started playing this and it definitely has that coveted XCOM "one more mission" feel. I do wish they'd hurry up and let me add Irene or whomever to the team. I thought we were going to ask her next time, Albus. That's what you said.

Anyway, game fun.

The game definitely does tease you and make you wait quite a long time for people to finally give in and join permanently, but it's always worth the wait.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah, she doesn't really understand the whole mentorship thing. Her entire approach to mentoring someone is constantly and furiously negging them like she read a terrible pickup artist book and decided to apply it to management, and most of her lessons are reliant on her pupil being able to somehow read her mind and divine the specific times when she wants them to defy her orders to show backbone and the specific times when she wants her orders obeyed.

Her being a trainwreck of a teacher but not really aware of it is very intentional.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Giselle manages to be probably the most toxic member of the team, and given some of the people you've got on staff by the end, that's honestly kind of impressive.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Oh, I love Giselle as a character.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think irene, ray, sion and anne are the only members who never did anything wrong. the majority of the playable characters are pretty unsavory to varying degrees.

Albus's only crime that I can think of is "tries too hard to save people to the point where he unnecessarily puts himself and by extension his employees at risk".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Hipster Occultist posted:

The fact that they never really dig into the whole "yeah I've got a 14 year old throwing magical starlight at vicious criminals instead of going to school" always kinda made me scratch my head a bit.

She still goes to school.

Anne is a bit of a special case where literally everyone says "no you don't need to do this", but her powers are so rare and useful that no one is really going to say no too firmly when the girl with the magical healing powers really wants to chip in. It's also a matter of protecting her, in a way - Anne would literally show up to violent crime scenes to heal cops on her own accord before, so at least if she's working with your agency and she's going into danger, she's doing it surrounded by a gang of superpowered mercenaries who care about her and will protect her.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

One of my absolute favorite things about Troubleshooter is how much time they spend building up and fleshing out even the dumb goons you're going to beat up. You get weirdly attached to the spoonist dingus crew.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Troubleshooter would not remotely be the same game to me if we didn't have a fleshed out, detailed backstory for a couple packs of random timas out in the woods down to a mini-mission where you play as them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Clarste posted:

She gets this whole arc about she can't just be a loveable dope her whole life.

Yeah, Irene's arc isn't really about having a deep tragic conspiracy-laden past or some unsolved mystery to address, it's about her coming to terms with what she wants to do for people and the best way to go about it.

Her taking the step to go from unlicensed vigilante to member of your team is one of the first steps on that path.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

If the early gameplay isn't doing it for you, crank the difficulty down and blitz through story missions until you recruit one or two other characters, then crank it back up. The game has an insane amount of content so you don't really need to worry about "wasting" missions.

The early game is a very slow burn and it takes a fair while before you start putting your real team together, which is an intentional story beat, but it's understandable if you're not feeling "rookie troubleshooter, his partner, and the squad of cops they're assisting".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

As the game progresses, Troubleshooter is extremely good at making you feel overconfident and that you've become super powerful before kicking your legs out and beating the poo poo out of you.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

PunkBoy posted:

Me thinking "Oh, crabs? I can take them on no problem."

Or how almost every player's first destron mission is going to end in tears.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MikusR posted:

It's not anime enough. Also majority of characters are drinking age adults and look like it.

Most of the supporting cast are adults, but your first four playable party members are anime teenagers.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MikusR posted:

21 is a teenager?

Albus, Sion, and Irene are all 20 years old but their designs very much fall into looking like anime teenagers, especially compared to the characters who are almost the same age but look a bit older like Heixing, Ray, and Leton who are all at the wizened age of 23 at the start of the game.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah there's a lot of builds within the umbrella of your two promoted classes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ZearothK posted:

It is going to be like an year and change when I go blitz through the DLC and I will have forgotten so much that it might as well be a new game.

also all my builds will be extremely outdated and off meta

Truth. I last played when Bianca and Alisa came out and I've thought about playing a couple times since then but the thought of having to basically relearn how to make functional builds from the ground up except now there's a zillion more masteries and gear pieces has stopped me every time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

People asked for them to double down on the Yuri, and they listened.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I dunno, there's definitely a lot of cruft that could be cut out and probably make an objectively smoother experience, but one of the things that made Troubleshooter so weird and charming is how many loving weird rear end hyper-involved gameplay systems exist in the game to the point where you're getting new tutorials 80 hours in when you're 95% of the way through the story and the game needs to give you 5 tutorial popups on how this optional dancer class for the last recruit you ever get in the game works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I liked the payday stuff because it was pretty low impact but helped cement the idea that you're running a startup business.

Motivation was definitely weird and needed to be reworked to actually matter or not exist, but stuff like "Anne can't have alcohol" was cute.

I didn't mind Shooter Street and really liked there being multiple vendors instead of just The Guy In The Bar, though the way you gained rep was way too grindy and needs a big revision.