Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
leveling up a class which only unlocks skills for crafting instead of getting a copy is stupid bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

I also think it's kind of annoying but the intent behind it is clearly to lock certain powerful skills *coughMagicalArmorcough* until later in the game.

Speaking of later in the game, I spent like 5 hours today just messing around with mastery boards and running old missions for crafting and made absolutely zero progress in the plot. I probably should push in just a little bit further so I can unlock the last type of pet before falling into a deep unnecessary grinding hole forever. I like how the late game equipment starts having actually interesting effects on top of the usual random stuff. I got Albus a sick looking sword that inflicts a guaranteed Curse of Wind on the target. It's neat. I should work on getting my other characters geared up but christ Black Iron stuff takes a while to grind up.

I also played around with giving Albus a set that turns him into a super powerful uncontrollable blood fueled berserker after making that sword. It went poorly for my team when I misjudged the distances and put Sion a bit too close to rampaging Albus.

restricting access to masteries which you supposedly just unlocked by leveling a class doesn't do anything for balance. you can already grind levels, activate level scaling, and change difficulties at any time. outside of those terrible guest party missions, the difficulty of the game is whatever you choose.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
accuracy is by far the most important stat, because while cover is irrelevant enemies get lots of dodge and block. sion with accuracy on his weapon and accessory is amazing at killing both crowds and bosses. without it, he can't hit poo poo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's no point in online saves. none of the online features exist. none of the potential online features sound worthwhile.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you can cheat in money. crafting becomes a lot better when you can simply buy most of the materials.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
cheating in a single player game is just a way to bypass bullshit you don't want to deal with. spending days or weeks grinding isn't a virtue.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
magic knight is a trap choice. it seems really good if you get it early, since a big heal on every kill seems op as heck. after all, early game albus should be killing most enemies in one hit, but he can get mobbed and ground down without healing. and if you are already killing most enemies with one hit, what's the point of applying bleed? that all stops being true once the enemies get strong enough.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
drones and pets are introduced far too late, and the only method to get them up to speed is pure grinding. the early access format did not do this game any favors.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wish we'd gotten alisa and bianca before of some of these other losers. they are a super cute couple. i guess it makes sense to push back the new characters that come as a pair when single characters take so long to develop, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, some kind soul posted how to change mastery quantities with save editing. that takes care of my big problem with the system, and i can now craft every available mastery by adding large amounts of a few types as ingredients. the locked stuff remains locked, but grinding for junk masteries is unnecessary. adding too many of too many different masteries fucks up mastery crafting, so keep backups of the save and backup save (the game uses both).

there's more ambitious stuff you can do including adding unreleased characters, but all i ever wanted was to cut through the bullshit restrictions they layered over a robust passive skill system.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the main reason for leveling a class you don't intend to use is when that class is shared by other characters. different masteries are unlocked by each character leveling that class. this barely matters, because there are exactly two shared classes right now. maybe that will change when alisa and bianca are added, since alisa has been confirmed to have great swordsman and it seems fairly likely that bianca will get black mage.

in short, no. you never get more class ability slots.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's like a dozen half-assed and mostly useless systems in this game because of feature creep. shooter street is the multiplayer hub, even though multiplayer isn't in the game and likely never will be. the design philosophy for this game is clearly to only ever add more stuff and never remove stuff even if it is pointless.

the gcpd helpers exist because the early game fundamentally does not work with just your party members. there are too many enemies and your ability to attack and defend is woefully inadequate to handle them. so, rather than rebalance the entire combat system they added a bunch of ambulatory distractions to soak up hits. once you actually get enough party members this becomes much less of a concern.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the payoff is making your characters real dang strong. if that doesn't appeal to you then the dumb story isn't going to change your mind.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the main way to get robot masteries is to max the troubleshooter entry of robots. then you can make some of the bottom tier ones from materials, and move up from there. fuuuuuck mastering that first bicron that only appears in the warehouse search mission and counts as a unique type, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
apparently the drop rate increase pops up more often if you are online. considering that all of the multiplayer features never have and likely never will be added, that's pretty much it. oh, and apparently they recently lost a bunch of data for the asia server, removing all progress made on online saves over several days. in a single player game.

lmao

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the solitary fighter mastery set is a good place to start. like most strategy games, getting more turns is by far the strongest choice.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
irene can't really solo huge crowds, but she can survive running into the middle of them. that's it, and then your ranged characters can pick off the clump of dudes who all ran up to attack her. i've tried more offensive builds, but i found that most of her sets had too much expensive junk, with little overlap so you can't stack together multiple good mastery sets. for example, magical armor is wonderful but it isn't worth bothering with any of the sets it belongs to. still, there's so much dang stuff in this game it is possible i missed some useful combinations.

one thing to note though is that if you are using irene as bait then you probably don't want counter.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
by level it means an instance of that status effect. so, you can stack it 4 times.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
who doesn't start with verifying local files for problems with steam games?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
cops are a crutch to make the early game work at all, since maps are absolutely not balanced for only 1-3 characters with no healing. but then they never go away even after you get a full party, which is odd.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the fire set that cancels status effects each turn is nice too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the slow pace of character introductions early on are a relic of the game being released bit by bit during early access. usually giving you enough characters to play with right from the start is the standard for tactics games, but for troubleshooter those characters were not finished until later. heck, apparently it took a while before even sion was added.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
once you get more ranged firepower fire veil stops being a problem and instead becomes lovely bonus grenades that stun crowds of enemies.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it mostly sucks when you rely heavily on albus early game, so you often have no choice but to ram him into exploding cutlery enthusiasts.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the game kind of sucks until you get more party members, so just go straight through the story until you get a few.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the easiest way to get into crafting is to cheat in money and just buy all the materials.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
keep in mind, the only way to unlock drone masteries is to 100% the enemy info on drone enemies. that means even starting with drones has a heavy grinding requirement.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
irene looks like a cool punk but that isn't reflected at all in her personality.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's on sabbatical, then it is right back to the hell prison for whatever remains of his life.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there used to be a single monster type that was missable but they fixed that. also that particular monster wasn't special in any way.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you are offline you can use save editing to cheat in money and bypass material grinding. that's pretty much all money is good for, too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think the mastery system would be just about perfect if unlocking a mastery meant that you obtained unlimited copies of it and didn't have to gently caress around with all the crafting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's tedious busywork. it doesn't add any depth or useful complexity. eventually i just gave myself a few thousand of the lowest level masteries so i could craft whatever i wanted and actually experiment with builds.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
troubleshooter is a good & fun game with a dozen pointless abandoned gameplay elements piled on top of it. at some point they stopped with the feature creep but all that poo poo is still in there. i'm hoping the sequel hews to that trend instead of being used as a second chance to add all those half-finished systems.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think bianca is just incredibly sick of guys trying to hit on her while she is clearly with her gf. that's how she categorized albus when they first met due to all the blushing and stammering he did at the beginning of the game and the impression stuck.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in the mission where you rescue kylie and can then choose to either repair the fences or retreat, if you approach kylie with irene specifically you are locked into repair. once again, she has four of the same option.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
catharsis is a game changer and the first reliable way to get it is beating bianca in ramjist plaza. it's worth farming as soon as you can actually beat her. you don't even have to survive alisa's wrath or finish the level afterward.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
at some point they also gave everyone one more ability mastery slot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it really doesn't take that long if you play on easy and don't mess with all the optional missions. but then, i'm biased since i exclusively play offline with that sql script to max out on all owned masteries. grinding for trash masteries to craft into intermediate masteries to craft into useful masteries adds a ridiculous amount of time. it's even worse if you want to maintain multiple builds since you need dupes for each board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you open the save file with an sql editor and run this script from the cheatengine forums
code:
update companyProperty
set cpValue = 9999
where masterIndex in (select masterIndex from companyPropertyMaster where masterName like '%Amount')
this maxes out the quantity for every mastery you have unlocked. it doesn't do anything for locked masteries, so the sole purpose is to cut down the tedium of mastery grinding and crafting. i don't remember if you need to have a copy of each mastery already, but that's not a big deal either way since you can run this as many times as you like. it maxes out drone programs, too. make a backup before you try it, obviously.