Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Hey how do you replay story missions? I have seen reference in game and on steam discussions of a "case file" or something that lets you do so but I do not know if I am blind or what because I cannot find such a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

RoyalScion posted:

In the office area there's a Case Record selection right next to the material index and the troublemaker list, from there you can re-launch story missions. I don't remember if there's a progress-based unlock for it or if it's available right away though.

This is all I see around there

https://imgur.com/mMZPErq

And as for progress based unlock, well I have done every story mission in the game so I doubt its that... the only other thing that maybe makes a difference is I started the file as a offline one rather than online but I don't see why that would matter

Edit: Nevermind I did it I had to click the bookshelf... man i feel dumb

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 24, 2020

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
No its good I figured it out, I just assumed every time I went to the office the "bookshelf" was just superfluous text, after clicking on it it unlocked and changed its name to case file

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Tae posted:

And you WILL lose characters, it's fine. This isn't like most tactics games where losing a character was your mistake.

The mistake you made when losing a character was failing to predict there were 5 bicrons around the corner :v:

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
I mean my sion can chain lightning for 13k damage as well, hell he can single handidly wipe out an entire group now just by casting thunderbolt 10 times a turn now its great

RoyalScion posted:

Pets are ultra strong (especially the Drakis if built properly); just taming is a pain and I just like using sniper.

Ya this has been my problem as well, taming is a pain and I didn't want to dig into pet mastery's as well after doing 9 troubleshooter mastery's and mech mastery's

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
The build I used for a bunch of the game for Giselle wasnt the best but I remember it had like base defense and the mastery that lowers your action time if you conceal that plus lowered shooting delay mastery and a few others and Giselle took like 3 actual turns (not counting refunded actions) compared to most characters 1 so ya 20 speed isnt really a big deal to me

Whats a solid non legendary beast for a sniper Giselle to have tag along as a bud?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

Okay, I have a serious question for the thread. Has anyone here actually managed to beat Blue Fog Distribution Center G, aka the Mission With Like Thirty Bicrons... WITHOUT basically cheesing the whole thing by having Kylie hack one of the bosses? Because that poo poo seems drat near impossible unless you're actually specifically gearing up for it by giving everyone Machine Hunter or something. I went back to the mission, in non-Challenge mode, with my Just-Beat-The-Story party and gave it a serious try and it's just... It's just so hard. On the other hand, if you just get Kylie to hack Red Eye then the mission might as well be over as every enemy on the map converges to get murdered by it.

Its not really that impossible extreme liberal use of smoke grenades by the police can mitigate loses ( people will still probably die) if you dont mind the debuffs a lot of Rays attacks can also be used as improvise smoke, Sion can easily one shot any of the non boss bicrons and some of the boss ones, same for Heix with annihilation shot tho that requires overcharge, Anne can entangle a Bicron so it doesnt run away and then you have swat surround it and kick it in the balls over and over so it doesn't ever get a turn just try not to let Anne die doing this. Said Swat members also start with emp grenades that are great, another note on those for the boss bicrons, if they are shutdown when they are killed they do not activate suicidal berserk mode so they just die rather than being immortal for 3 turns and then dying, freezing also works well on most of the Bicrons so if you have the ice mastery that makes frostbite turn into freeze its a good pick. And ya if you can find any to buy (I actually never have) buying EMP grenades and loading them on everyone is pretty good

The real problem is if another group of bicrons unexpectedly gets agro while you are still dealing with other bullshit, impulse fields on people that can afford it help prevent them from just running in and one shot a party member and Irene with Iron Wall and or magic shield can draw aloooot of fire onto herself. The mission also strongly suggests you hack into the warehouse which...I feel is not the best idea, it puts you very close to several boss bicrons and one of them alerts the entire map when aggroed. Entering the warehouse from the already open doors does get very crowded but you can deal with the occupants more at your own pace.

Kylie's Decoy protocol basically draws all aggro onto it as well, so proactive use of those might save someone from death.

Edit:also honestly hacking just a normal Bicron and replacing it as needed is strong enough for me let alone hacking one of the bosses

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 26, 2020

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Plenty of characters can be tanks, but black mage Sion is unique black mage Sion is best Sion.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
I love how common the names of the gangsters and cultists are, indomitable Neville, Scott, Immortal John, Brad, Jeff, also the games insistence on humanizing every group you are sent to wipe out including the wild animals.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Because he is the only ice mage.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
You dont want to really solo Irene you want her to drop out of a sight for a turn and then rush in with her buff, so like have her hide on the other other side of a truck. But ya most of Irenes really good masterys are late game

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

lil baby anime posted:

Lonely hero is 30 on KO I think and the solitary fighter set is 20 just for attacking

Theres another mastery set that gives her 10 on a counter attack ko, basically with lonely hero activated Irene will be taking turns MORE frequently if she kills people when counter attack, still that's not a guaranteed thing especially with stuff like impulse fields all over the place late game.

ZearothK posted:

!!!

Man, I never thought of doing that to proc hero. Will have to do that when I get back to the game.

Bear in mind that line of sight is really finicky in this game and especially if you are doing a late mission where you get like 8 characters and 8 police officers it can become too crowded to do it reliably.
But ya her ability is based on line of sight not distance and it does not go away the moment she sees an ally it lasts an additional 3 turns and havign her just follow the party on the other side of a truck or wall totally works.

Best Friends posted:

I found the Irene specific mastery not very good on her, but the martial artist masteries and the counterattack masteries were great.
Generally her character specific ones are bad and not worth it, the very first one you get which gives her a random buff when hero activates or when rescuing civilians is decent early on when you dont have many masteries and can lead to her getting some hilarious buffs like touch of death (reaper idk what its called), which just instantly kills any target she damages.

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 21, 2020

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

ZearothK posted:

Okay, I think I finally got Battlemage Irene in a good place thanks to the Magic Duplication mastery. I am still missing Magic Armor and have no way to craft it, but she's at least on par with Albus now in terms of damage and she can both regen and bounce back from death, so that's good.

The only party member I still don't have a good grasp on is Kylie. Her attacks feel very weak, even the ones using special protocols (exception for her overcharge, which is monstrous). Her support abilities (Awaken Protocol, Confusion Protocol and Hacking) are super clutch, but her damage is usually not enough to even finish off low health enemies and her drones aren't exactly a good source of damage compared to Giselle's animal summons. Any pointers on how to build her mastery board? Do I need to get into the crafting mines to upgrade her weapons and drones?

Ya unfortunately magic armor is what really really sets battle mage irene up as a god among insects.

I have had some pretty cool success with kylie by making her a hacker class taking basically all the hacking and scholar sets that make numbers go up esp block, and then putting her in a pack of enemies with reactive matrix protocol it gives her 30% block and vivi will attack any enemy that tries to attack her, this has 3 big ups over counter attack, 1 it happens before the enemy attacks her, it does not cause her time units to increase and its ranged.
However as someone said you basically have to go deep into crafting with kylie if you want her to be able to do any damage at all, for me right now shes got like 100% crit chance and is criting for like 2-3 k not suuuper amazing but she can mow down the chaff. Also there's a mastery that i forget what its called but it increases the time units of an enemy hit multiple times by the same debuff, this basically makes kylies attack protocol with the ice attack add like 80 time untis to anything it hits had some success with that

edit: also i think reactive matrix protocol synergies with giselles covering fire and if you have the friendship bonus where you attack enemies your friend fails to kill

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 25, 2020

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

ZearothK posted:

I have to say, crafting isn't as painful as I feared it would be. Anyways, now to figure out how to get the most ouf of Leton, I guess.

Give him the mastery that upgrades frostbite to freeze, profit

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

ZearothK posted:

What is its name? Is that a mastery I should drop from some beast or something? I tried to search for freeze on the mastery list and I've got nothing, so I probably can't even research it.

"Absolute Zero" is the mastery, it drops from Pretty much all of the frost dragons the earliest mission I think you can get it from is the Albino Negoori in mission 35 even if it doesn't drop kill them enough times and you can still craft it.
Honestly though I haven't looked into how to build Leton I just kinda slapped some random mastery sets on him and I haven't messed around with the superstar class much. But I cant really think of a reason you wouldn't take absolute zero freeze is basically stun but unlike stun is resisted by like 20% of enemies rather than 80% and yes Absolute zero works on frostbite grenades and its glorious. Masteries that increase chance to inflict frost bite obviously are good with this.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
You know everyone complains about the Skulls but the most absolute bullshit enemy has to be the mother yasha in mission 47.

As to impulse fields making one shot one kill obsolete idk I disagree, save for white tigers it really only feels like maybe one in 4 enemies have it, I dont think any of the draki have it and aforementioned mission 47 only some of the frogs have it and it makes tackling the spider nest in that mission bearable because lol dealing with 50 re spawning enemies without it, some enemies instead have sky high defense but my sion does like 6k damage if an enemy blocks his attack soooo...

edit: that said I do not put one shot one kill and catharsis on everyone, mainly Heixing and Scion and Bianca other characters I might sometimes swap it in oh and Ray figuring hey she might get lucky with her aoes.

For special attacks depends on the attack, any attack that hits multiple times is automatically good and worth using if you are concerned about blocks and impulse fields. Irene I use her multi hit and her aoe alot one the rare instances she gets a normal turn, her ranged kick is meh but the addition of synergies is really good because it does let her responsive attack friends attackers with the kick. With scion I never use his basic punch, like I cant remember the last time I did, and between magical accelerator and archmages staff his turn delay is non existent. Similarly with say Leton I pretty much am only bringing him for his ability to freeze so the basic attack is basically just for mopping up

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 4, 2020

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

lil baby anime posted:

The yashas in 47 are the worst though. Last thing you want to do is hit them and not kill them cuz then you gotta deal with final resistance if they ever decide to stop dodging all your attacks.

The ash covered yasha monarch has 2nd and 3rd hearts, impulse fields final resistance, plus whatetever that ability is called that gives you a turn immediately if your health goes below a certain percent, and every time a yasha dies in its sight (next to a respawning yasha nest) it gains 40 time units, and its over charge (which it gains sp when it takes damage too) causes it to just gently caress off onto the ceiling for 3 turns then it grabs someone and aoes them into your party, and to top it off the entire map is covered in spider webs.
Closest match I have had in a long time came to that only Albus and Ray were left alive.

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 5, 2020

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Clarste posted:

I dunno, the spiders can be annoying but once you figure out how they work they're way less dangerous than the Skulls and friends. I don't find it even half as hard as the 46 mission, although admittedly most of my time on Magenta Street is spent trying out new builds where I run headfirst into the Skulls to see what happens.

Edit: Also, Bianca can turn off Final Guard with Illusion, if you need to. Honestly I didn't even notice that the spider had it though.

The spiders in general are fine but as an individual unit the Yasha queen seems way more insane than most of the skull bosses. If you prepare for the spider room its a cakewalk but like Im confident and I have just yoloed the skullz, the scenario I mentioned earlier I accidentally walked a bit to close to the spider room triggered them with neither Kylie in position or with like a Heixing room sweep ready to go so the spiders marched out and got killed one by one by Irene, which made the Queen a problem because I never got a chance to attack it because every spider Irene squashed gave it 40 time units and then if I did get a chance to attack it I hit it it comes back to life and immediately jumps onto the ceiling. The queen also has the dumb alert mode l where it alerts the entire level so if its your first time doing the level its quiet rude. But idk I've never had one skull boss kill 6 characters by itself Ive had some be really annoying but like the worst it ever was was when Skull Pierce? I think had luck activated and auto crited with annihilation shot 2 guys but unless your whole team is spread out which is kinda counter to how you play most of the time the queen can one shot half your party by itself.

Nephthys posted:

God loving dammit yes. That thing is insane, worse than Skull Crasher for sure. I managed to beat it but only because it got into a duel with Irene with Giselle covering them and it became two immortals punching each other over and over again while tiny spiders ran up to die and Giselle whittled the thing down. I didn't even know Giselle could whittle, it was so bizarre.
Thats another thing it seems like its ceiling drop attack just ignores block? Idk I have had it twice just one shot Irene with that unless maybe like magic armor is disabled if she gets pulled up with it?
On the subject of Giselle and covering fire I put hide yourself well and base defense on her and now her covering fire whenever it activates doesn't delay her turn at all :v: kinda neat

quote:

Also I can confirm that Barbarian Alisa is very good. More than other builds I think you need to get all the right mastery sets to allow it to shine and you need to be careful that she isn't one-shot but the more damage she takes the closer to invincibility she gets and the more damage she does. I needed to take off good gear that had dodge on it because not getting hit ironically screws you over with that build.
Ya playing around with her as a barb it really feels like its not really usable until all the pieces are in place but once they are it's solid. One thing I thought of but haven't done is like maybe bring Ray along with gas bombs and intentionally poison Alise to get her health down in a controlled way.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
The shield cops are useful but as someone said very slow. The suppressors get real bad late game, pretty much only useful as smoke dispensers and cannon fodder, if you have Giselle or Heixing in a fire support build they can be effective as a means of triggering their reaction fires.

Lakitu7 posted:

That's awesome of them. I'm pleasantly surprised that they didn't apologize profusely for not coding the game to handle cases that only happen when you edit your save in crazy ways.

God I left a positive review for their game on steam but I did include some things like some people not like such and such and got a resposne from dandelion that was something like, Thanks for your favorable view but we think this might be a negative review we promise to work to address all the issues you raised so that everyone can enjoy our game.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

ZearothK posted:

Red Eye and his gang are like the scariest thing in the game, okay

Its not even thats its scary its if you fail to one shot him which is quite difficult, he goes into berserk mode and having him free to do whatever to you for 3 turns is...painful. Unless you cheese it with freeze or entangle.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
So what combination of abilities is it the thin clowns have that lets them basically ignore block, even irene takes a serious beating from them.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
I think I have a bug wonder if anyone else has seen it. Immortality with Alise is supposed to last 3 turns right? It is only lasting one turn, on a similar note I also had immortality trigger last for three turns however it did not result in her getting the revive debuff.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
The only character who seems for sure straight is Ray who swoons over Albus a bunch. Also Jane and Giselle totally a couple

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Kata-Haro posted:

Except the Draki, those fuckers deserve what was coming to them.

Man the realization that we drove the frogs into the draki caves and they were all devoured :( ... tasty ones

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Multihit attacks help some as well, Heixings Annihlation shot can deal with tanky boys most of the time, bonus here is it bypasses impulse fields and if you kill a boss before he hits 33% then final resistance never activates, albus if he has castle gate breakthru and is a blademaster build can hit a target like 4 times with his second melee ability and thats usually enough to kill people in final resistance. Sion if you go whole hog into glass cannon black mage can often deal like 3k damage even thru block and resistances. But by far freeze is the easiest way to deal with them.

Early on in the game one of my more memorable ways of dealing with bosses like that was to have Anne entangling root them and have VHPD swat surround the guy and kick him in the nuts every turn.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

lil baby anime posted:

I use grenadier all the time but her damage is alright I guess.

Gonna echo ZearothK and say that Alchemist is just better than grenadier, Ray was pretty meh for awhile when I first started but she can get super ridiculous. Also Ideally she is just under permanent trance, every kill she gets extends its duration and trance gives a nice buff beyond overcharge.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

Out of curiosity does the Frostcon still do all its bullshit if you shut it down or do you just have to basically keep on attacking it and pray that it will actually take damage this time?

Im not 100% sure what specially you are referring to but if any of the boss bicrons are shutdown before they take lethal damage they dont trigger overload

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Clarste posted:

IIRC it's not random at all whether it takes damage, you just have to use big enough hits.

I don't think those abilities turn off when it's shutdown, but I can't say for sure.

Special armor def does not turn off if its shutdown, the only thing that does is its immunity to death for 3 rounds if that hasnt activated before the shutdown and its ability to block which helps meet the min threshold for damage.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Im of the opinion the story of this game is great if a bit rocky at the start, especially with it constantly making you feel bad about the people/things you are beating up.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Anyone got a good Alisa barbarian build they wouldnt mind posting? She seems to do okayish for me though she seems to just die more than she should

Also those drat destrons in violent 50 really make me wish I could disable reaction fire for a turn or two, ive managed to more or less figure out how to deal with them but since I basically gave everyone the reaction fire synergy friendship buff whenever they attack (twice) they get reaction fired like 6 times all of which miss because auto dodge is bullshit and then he attacks all six of those people twice :(

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Nephthys posted:

Alisa's Barb isn't great against the crabs

Speaking of the crabs other than kylie and giselle's flare/scanner can anything else be done about burrowed crabs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Is there any good way to damage your own teammates? I thought I'd try using poison grenades to get the desired effect but apparently my water resist is way to high and it keeps getting auto cured.