Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I started playing this recently not expecting much besides a XCOM clone with maybe a couple interesting mechanics to change it up, but this game has definitely exceeded my expectations. Even with the rough translation, I'm gotten really invested in the characters and world, and it's neat that even the enemies have their own fleshed out stories and motivations. It's clear that this game was made with a lot of ambition and heart, and I love that a lot.

Edit: Oh gently caress, Albus just walked down an alley and got lit up by a chain of Support Fire. I guess the game stopped loving around.

Edit 2: On the DLC missions now and everyone is so drat tanky. How the heck am I supposed to get past Final Resistance?

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Oh huh, I thought Albus had a thing for Alisa, since I thought there were a few lines where she notices Albus staring at her.

Also when I saw Bibi I got it confused with Kylie's drone Vivi, and I got really confused about where shippers were taking things.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I do find it odd that a big part of Irene's story is her realizing she doesn't need to be alone anymore, but one of her best masteries encourages her to be alone.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

So I started playing this and it definitely has that coveted XCOM "one more mission" feel. I do wish they'd hurry up and let me add Irene or whomever to the team. I thought we were going to ask her next time, Albus. That's what you said.

Anyway, game fun.

Glad you're enjoying it! I also remember it taking a bit to get Irene, but I don't think you'll have to wait too much longer?

Also, we need a Sickos meme, but Troubleshooter related. Who would fit best?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I need to check my build again to be sure, but I think for MA Irene I didn't focus on counters because it would just tank her position in the turn order. I found it more useful to give her more turns to run in and wreck people.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

It's been a while so I could be misremembering, but I thought that Giselle's whole thing is that she realizes she's a lovely boss, and she's trying to guide Albus to not be like her/not become a broken mess chewed up by the business.

I really wish this game had a codex that I can easily look up major plot points and character stories. A lot goes on and I keep on losing track of what's happening.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 6, 2022

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Albus is interesting in that he is very mercenary about his work, but also genuinely wants to do good, and also is willing to do whatever it takes to achieve his personal goals, but also cares and worries about his team. He does have some sense of idealism, but he know how the business works and isn't willing to be walked over. He feels like a fairly layered character. It's neat and I like it a lot.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 8, 2022

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Yeah, Troubleshooter establishing stories and characterizations for the human enemies and even the beasts is one of the best parts of the game. I think it all enhances the setting and world.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Finally picked up Crimson Crow from the Steam sale (as well as the costume pack). Just started the missions and I 'm a fan of Misty already. She's cute, and I like her dynamic with Rion.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I love this loving game.

EDIT: Caught up on campaign missions. Guess I need to go back and try to farm Abandoned Supply Base and Iron Forest Secret Base? Destrons hosed me up bad last time I tried them so this is going to be rough.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 26, 2022

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Hipster Occultist posted:

Kylie's hacking really helps if you pull them slowly, and if you're willing to put in the work the Gold Negoori can one shot them with the right build.

Yeah, Kylie is MVP on this current run. Even with just a 36% chance, she keeps on shutting them down, allowing Leyton and Irene burst them down.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

This got me thinking of when I first hit my difficulty wall. I forget the mission, but I got Fire Support chained and had my entire team wiped out in like 2 turns. That's when I thought "Ah, the real Troubleshooter starts here."

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

I really do love how Troubleshooter tells its story. Its so funny to me like how low key Danny Law is an important character in the game but he just has a random generic enemy model so people just end up missing that. I wonder if the sequel will actually give him a more unique look but honestly I just hope they keep the same model.

Yeah, it rules how the generic looking characters have deeply involved backstories, some even directly related to the main characters! Part of me does hope they keep looking generic if they show up in the sequel, but it would also be really fun to see the glow up if they got new unique designs.

EDIT: Oh, looks like Giselle got a costume pack https://store.steampowered.com/app/2168566/TROUBLESHOOTER_Abandoned_Children__Giselles_Costume_Set/?curator_clanid=31614849

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 24, 2023

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Kanos posted:

As the game progresses, Troubleshooter is extremely good at making you feel overconfident and that you've become super powerful before kicking your legs out and beating the poo poo out of you.

Me thinking "Oh, crabs? I can take them on no problem."

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Smiling Knight posted:

What element are you finding confusing? In terms of major plot stuff that occurs, I think this covers it:

The Drifter Clowns are actually ex-military run by Ben. Since the war, they’ve been avoiding scrutiny with the goofy clown act. At the start of the DLC, they’re hunting for the artist Ramjist, aka Bianca’s cousin. However, during the DLC Ben is contacted by an agent of Edward LeBlanc (de facto ruler of the city and major plot string puller) to deal with Carter and the Spoonists, whose march towards Heixing’s prison is a major security threat. The DLC ends with Ben returning the Clowns to their paramilitary origins, gearing up with forbidden war-era tech and ditching the goofy getups, in preparation for dealing with the Spoonists.

It’s probably a plot they are setting up for the sequel.

I am still kinda confused about Ramjist's deal. What's with all the predicting the future stuff? This game really needs a codex!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

The devs posted a recap of the art and what their current development plans are. Early access in Winter 2026. Gonna be a long wait. https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/470310/view/4197993161895645738