Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I mean, Irene can. Sort of. She can last pretty much indefinitely when built for it as mentioned, and lone hero and related masteries would encourage sending her off on her own, but this game is heavy on turn delay manipulation, so once she’s gotten surrounded chances are she’s not going to be taking another turn anytime soon. I’m honestly thinking about just ditching her reactive masteries in favor of deep sea escape, since Traces of Blood Albus is the only one whose going to be able to get reliable reactive kills once impulse fields start showing up on all the bruisers.

Or, of course, you could get a frog for range 6 reactive melee attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
What I really want to do is see how far I can get into something like a sea of fire build for Irene with drones, pet and Ray starting off the environmental fires and burn debuffs, or something similar with frag grenades, VHPD bleed procs and a more proactive Albus, but I think I’m going to wait to see if any of the new missions upcoming are a bit less snipery.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I really don’t want to restart a hundred hour story campaign because I hit some fail state

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I swear violent mission Darius is the first time I’ve been so heavily punished for “eh, might as well” potshots in any game. Anger Strike is some scary poo poo if you’ve never seen it before

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
The translation is being aided along by community volunteers. Current effort is focused on mechanics text, but (for example) fixes for subtitle spelling and grammar are queued up for review

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

RoyalScion posted:

Pretty sure Kylie's drones don't drop from anywhere and you only get higher lvl ones from crafting.

You can get them from jurisdiction report bonuses. I think they may still be limited by the tier you’ve crafted up to, though.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
1. You get masteries as drops from enemies you kill, and (repeatable) story decisions you make. Mastery crafting lets you use them as raw materials for making other masteries, particularly the class-level-unlockables. Every mastery (once acquired once) is ultimately constructible from any raw materials through a chain of dependencies, so once you find a mastery for the first time, you’re 99% never going to have to worry about hunting for a second copy (unless one of its dependencies is something you haven’t unlocked yet, but I’ve had that happen twice in over a hundred hours).

Each class leads into two advanced classes that can be freely switched between once unlocked, so that’s why you’re advised to keep a separate mastery board for each of those two (not a huge priority at first). Be sure to read the interface instructions on the mastery research page, as shift- and double- clicking are needed to actually follow links back and forth. There’s a lot less hunting in long lists involved than it looks like.

Read the guides on Steam for mastery sets. It’s not worth guessing, they’re the backbone of mid game onwards, and the steam guides are way more complete and reliable than any wikis that might be floating around.

2. Easiest way is to hit (I think) enter to pull up the combat log to get do details. Sharing is a thing by default and there are multiple masteries (both on the giving and receiving end) that ramp up both gain and sharing dramatically.

3. Yes, some enemies only show up on hard or up.

4. If you use at least one charge of an item during a mission, one instance of the item is used up. So, if you use it once, might as well go hog wild with the rest of the charges and get your money’s worth.

5. Not particularly. Chests respawn and have random contents, and all the best stuff is crafted or from enemy drops.

6. As mentioned up thread, there is next to no consequence for losing a unit during a mission. Turn order manipulation is a lot more common and significant in this game than in any other turn-based game I’ve played, and it very easily leads to some units getting many more turns than others. When counterattack says it costs 30ap, what that means is that you’ll be killing big balls of melee ads on their own turns. Don’t expect to actually get to take your own turn with that unit until the ball gets cleared up. Likewise, having a bunch of your cops suppression fire on a single target is going to keep them locked down for a meaningful amount of time.

CommunityEdition fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 18, 2020

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
If theres any benefit to the extremely obvious way early access strung out the introduction of gameplay systems across the campaign, it’s that it saved me from having to work robot construction, beast evolution, and crafting into newbie question answering. Or having to field questions about the current last party member’s special mechanic.

I can say don’t sleep on grenades and non-healing potions, the cops get different kinds as you go along to encourage you to use them, and they’re a great way to give units ways to support each other, since it’s really hard otherwise to get synergy between characters.

What I mean to say is, stuff that procs on hitting status afflicted targets is a lot more convenient if everyone’s already bleeding or on fire by the time the melees get there.

CommunityEdition fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 18, 2020

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Memnaelar posted:

At what point DOES crafting items become worthwhile? I felt like I looked at the system at levels 15 and 20 and didn't see anything I preferred to make there that would be better (and less grindy) than just purchasing random what-have-you at the markets. Is there a specific point or utility to crafting that I'm missing?

Unfortunately, the way to get the crafting recipients for higher level things is to make a few of the ones one tier down the level chain. The point is to be able to make the best usables, the best gear sets, let you gamble on purples at top level, it’s the only way to get any weapon upgrade at all for one of the later characters, and it gates one of the two summonable minions systems.

Basically, by the end you’ll usually be disassembling most of your equipment drops for raw materials, because aside from red gear this is where it’s at.

I recommend picking up a district set that feeds you random recipe unlock process to make the whole thing go quicker. Other than that, just shove raw materials into crafting whatever bullshit has a meter next to it every now and again.

CommunityEdition fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 19, 2020

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I've been playing the game for 8 hours and I just got my third party member. This is definitely a slow roll of a game isn't it?

Yeah, the campaign and features were built out over the course of the early access period, so it’s a fairly steady rate of getting new characters up until just about the end of the campaign.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
The active skills themselves aren’t class restricted, though. You can mix and match.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I’ve never seen a company devote so much of its output to really earnest apologies. Other than the current data loss, usually about the sorts of things that generally don’t even rate a “We apologize for the delay,” if they’re mentioned at all.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Frankly, pricing on par with Chimera Squad is a bit too modest.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

This seems interesting so far but god the translation is killing me, I want to submit edits.

Considering from what I've heard and seen so far the game is actually alright, it's kind of nice that they seem really genuine to wanting to make it as good as possible/

Oh it’s more than alright. And to submit edits, just join their discord. https://discord.gg/NFWGg4. There’s a spreadsheet in the translation channel that suggestions go through.

Target nuetralized.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Lakitu7 posted:

That's awesome of them. I'm pleasantly surprised that they didn't apologize profusely for not coding the game to handle cases that only happen when you edit your save in crazy ways.

I’m impressed that they were so polite to the inconsiderate gently caress who’d not mention that they’d modified game values when submitting technical complaints

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Clarste posted:

Non-lethal swords. Also notice how after we arrest them they are immediately back on the streets for the next mission.

It’s frankly remarkable the sorts of things that are non-lethal in this setting. That sniper shot should have had at least some sort of lingering effect on Albus, right?