Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I came sorta close to running out when every one of my characters had to switch classes simultaneously but it stabilized afterwards.

Edit: Okay, late game friends, can someone give me a primer on mech building? Because this poo poo is confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Nephthys posted:

Hey, great to see a thread for this. I was afraid the game would go completely unnoticed for how fantastic I think it is.

I just got to the part where they're showing up and good lord do I agree. It was actually kind of funny in the mission where Giselle tells Albus to let the Tigers and Spoonists fight before mopping both up and everyone else overrules her. She was absolutely right! Goddamn those robots wrecked me, Giselle and Heixing had to pull my rear end out of the fire there.

Make sure to go back and take the other option at some point, that's one of those missions that gives an exclusive choice-dependent mastery. And it's one of the really good meta-masteries that gives you more slots in a different mastery, so well worth doing.

On that note, to everyone in this thread: Make sure you go back and re-do all the options of the following missions: Scent of the Past (the winter themed one where you get like 6 options), Astonishing Reunion (the police training one) and Taking a Step Back (the one mentioned here, with the absolutely murderous Bicrons). You get some REALLY important stuff from some of these.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Anne's Witch stuff is absolutely hilarious in how many ways it can go both wrong and right. I had one mission where I positioned her poorly, she got killed, then Hellgate activated and half the drat enemy team was on my side for a while. It's a bit silly to have a Mastery that only activates on getting killed but it's absolutely amazing when it does go off.

And she can still heal decently enough, it's just not the insane mega heals White Mage gets off.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Also on the note of randomness, if anyone here has all four Luck-derived skills they owe it themselves to try the full Luck set on someone for a laugh. Just completely random buffs constantly heading your way, up to and including John's bullshit Invulnerability buff.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I also think it's kind of annoying but the intent behind it is clearly to lock certain powerful skills *coughMagicalArmorcough* until later in the game.

Speaking of later in the game, I spent like 5 hours today just messing around with mastery boards and running old missions for crafting and made absolutely zero progress in the plot. I probably should push in just a little bit further so I can unlock the last type of pet before falling into a deep unnecessary grinding hole forever. I like how the late game equipment starts having actually interesting effects on top of the usual random stuff. I got Albus a sick looking sword that inflicts a guaranteed Curse of Wind on the target. It's neat. I should work on getting my other characters geared up but christ Black Iron stuff takes a while to grind up.

I also played around with giving Albus a set that turns him into a super powerful uncontrollable blood fueled berserker after making that sword. It went poorly for my team when I misjudged the distances and put Sion a bit too close to rampaging Albus.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

restricting access to masteries which you supposedly just unlocked by leveling a class doesn't do anything for balance. you can already grind levels, activate level scaling, and change difficulties at any time. outside of those terrible guest party missions, the difficulty of the game is whatever you choose.

I dunno man, I was just guessing at the reasoning behind it. I feel like it adds something to chase, too. As you mentioned, you can already do all sorts of mess against balance so adding some chase goals seems suitable? But I'm not like hyper committed to defending this decision or anything. I just don't think it's that big of a deal.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

My Sion's accuracy has somehow ended up insanely high due to a combination of gear and masteries. I mean it, he has literally the highest on paper accuracy of my entire team. I'm pretty sure Giselle is more accurate in general due to her having that one mastery that reduces distance penalties, but it's closer than you'd think.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Note that accuracy helps precisely fuckall against block. The thing that helps Sion against block is having such stupidly high damage he just kills things straight through their blocks. Honestly, Sion is kinda insanely good at killing things. Heixing is definitely better against big crowds, but if you wanna take out a boss or a loving BICRON you really gotta have Sion do it.

Sweeper Heixing is hilarious on certain missions though. Like the one with all the Negooris where you can climb up into their little sanctuary and there's just like 20 freaking Negooris in a really small space, well within Sweeping Shot range.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Just laughing at you if your first priority in every build isn't shoving in Veteran on everyone except people who should not be getting hit ever unless things have already gone tits up (such as Giselle who is usually a billion miles away from everything). Fair point on the severe bleeding and poison though, those can be harsh as hell.

It's still great to send Witch!Anne up as a sacrifical offering if things start getting rough so she possesses most of the enemy team (so long as they aren't loving BICRONS anyways). I feel like I should probably feel guiltier about sending a teenager over to get killed over and over but gently caress it it's a good strategy and I make sure to buy her plenty of water and juice afterwards.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Bosses with Final Resistance get intercepted by invincible super tank Irene as they very very slowly damage each other while the rest of the party deals with everything else, in my experience.

Seriously, Irene can get BULLSHIT levels of tanky. Magical Armor combined with Iron Heart meant she was taking peanuts damage even from loving BICRONS.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I prefer to have Sion as the BIG DPS MAN with Black Mage because goddamn do I need him for stuff like Bicrons. But yeah, obviously none of the characters work perfectly on their own, its a team game and all.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I know it's probably not as effective as Great Swordsman, especially with Traces of Blood, but I like having Albus in Magic Knight with Victory Blade and Blood Memory so he can tank melee enemies more or less indefinitely provided he doesn't get one-shot. It's a lot shakier than lol Magic Armor but it's good enough. Honestly Albus is the character I have the hardest time placing in a proper role in the late game. Everyone else has something they really excel at but Albus is just kind of too much of an average all rounder. Turning Over A New Leaf is pretty potent for putting out metaphorical fires though.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yeah honestly I've mostly just made the biggest pile of hit points mech possible and use him to poke into the fog since I don't care if it gets shot up. It works pretty alright.

I've recently made an experiment trying to go all in on traps/beasts Giselle instead of just casually having the beasts hanging out and it's... Not that great. Mostly because her traps key off ESP more than Attack and she has very few ways to raise in with her equipment. Unless some of her later rifles start coming with ESP bonuses, I admit I've sort of slacked on getting new weapons to my crew.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tae posted:

Just finished the infamous 20 billion Bicorn mission

The last quarter of the mission, I was down to 5 characters: Anne, Ray, a melee cop, Kylie, and a Tima.

The Tima basically solo-ed and saved my rear end. Quite literally the most damaging, tankiest character I have.

... Why in the heck is your Albus unclassed?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Seeing what people pick in missions is... SORT OF worthwhile? But yeah I agree there's not really anything to the online. I still made my save in it because eh no real reason not, honestly.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Eh, that's not a very good reason for me. I don't really like cheating. Oh, and I remembered the one actually useful feature of online (which I guess doesn't matter if you cheat), which is the Public Safety Meter. It goes up as people online complete missions and once it reaches 100% it triggers 3 hours of increased drop rate for both items and masteries. It is nearly always fully up, which is nice.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh, I'm not judging you or anything, I just don't like to do it personally. To each ones own.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Fat Samurai posted:

Enjoying this so far. I remember someone in the Steam thread mentioned that there were some missable stuff. Something to do with side missions?

Full ironman mode scares me though. What are the consequences of death/failing a mission?

Until this very latest patch there was an enemy type (Grey Yasha) which only existed in Shooter Street missions, which were not repeatable, and you could therefore miss out on it's Troublemaker info. But you can now redo Shooter Street missions so there's nothing missable anymore to my knowledge.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Clarste posted:

Gisele absolutely works fine on her own. I mean, I pretty much soloed the final story mission with her. You can build her to get two extra actions every time she gets a kill from outside the enemy's sight range, enough to move and shoot again, and she's strong enough to one-shot anything without Impulse Fields. Which means that she can clear an entire map in one turn as long as you take advantage of Serial Shot when necessary.

Huh, that sounds interesting. Wouldn't the "pod" get alerted after the first kill though? I thought that nullified Shadow Sniping bonuses. And Impulse Field seems REALLY common the later you get. Can she even one shot bosses or does she have trouble with Final Resistance? What about folks with Second Heart/Phoenix? I guess if you stick in Mech Hunter she might be capable of taking out Bicrons in one shot. Might play around with it but it feels like there would be too many points of failure for Hard Challenging which is how I usually play, since any enemy might just randomly have Impulse Field.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The problem with Overwhelming Spirit is, well, playing on Challenge means it never procs unless Giselle happens to both be the highest level character in the party AND happen to level up during the mission.

Edit: Challenge also makes completely random enemies have Impulse Field which really can catch you by surprise.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Clarste posted:

She's level 49 right now though so you'd have to cut away at some stuff, I dunno where exactly. She's a sniper because she snipes things. I've never even used the pet, tbh, I just keep it in the back to get levels. Serial Shot more or less gets around block/impulse fields, and its cooldown decreases with every kill so it's mostly a matter of pacing yourself.

That said, while theoretically she could kill an entire map by herself in one turn, in practice that's never actually happened. Killing like 2-10 guys per turn and crippling one more is still pretty good though! And she usually gets so many kills on her turn that her AT is reduced to like 30 or something anyway. Ray is necessary to restore her Vigor periodically, but most of her shots happen under Overcharge anyway so they're free. ...Ray is also super strong though so it feels bad.

You're missing out, pets can be SUPER good. Dogs can be insanely tanky, you can build frogs to do some GROSS things with reactive attacks, some of the birds are great supporters and Draki are just all round amazing. Yasha are the only kinda lame pet type.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Nephthys posted:

So for the 'Scent of the Past' mission, do I need to actually finish the mission each time or can I just pick the different options and then abandon it to get the different mastery unlocks?

Missions unlock by level and as you complete them. You can check which mission is in what jurisdiction by selecting the district and they'll be listed or by selecting the mission and it'll tell you which district its in.

You need to finish it each time, which is why that mission is so short.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The thing I like with Sniper Giselle is Fire Support, personally. Makes her real good against assholes with Impulse Fields. Still don't like it as much as simply having a ultra beastly Draki added to my team, but I can understand not wanting to do the insane Draki grind. If someone wants a less grindy but still obscene pet, go that swamp mission with all the Negoori's and capture the Albino one. That thing is just obscene if you spec it for reactive attacks because it inflicts FREEZING with its basic melee. Only downside is you DEFINITELY need to be using Hunter Giselle for it since it's a Legendary.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

You only need the special mastery if you want to CAPTURE a legendary beast and use it, you don't need it if you evolve into a Legendary so honestly? The Draki of your choice. Draki are just very very good in general. If not that, then I'd probably go for a Spark Tima or a Negoori of your preference. I like the lightning and poison ones personally, but they're all pretty decent at different things, even if none of them come even close to being as insanely good as the Albino Negoori. If you want a supporter, some of the Dorori seem alright but I tend to go for a heavily aggressive strategy so I didn't play around much with the more support elements of stuff. The only pet to really avoid is Yashas, unless they have some hidden bullshit I never uncovered they just never manage to do anything of real worth.

Oh, right, special award goes to Adventurer Dorori for its unique personal mastery that makes it an incredible bodyguard for Anne.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Okay, I have a serious question for the thread. Has anyone here actually managed to beat Blue Fog Distribution Center G, aka the Mission With Like Thirty Bicrons... WITHOUT basically cheesing the whole thing by having Kylie hack one of the bosses? Because that poo poo seems drat near impossible unless you're actually specifically gearing up for it by giving everyone Machine Hunter or something. I went back to the mission, in non-Challenge mode, with my Just-Beat-The-Story party and gave it a serious try and it's just... It's just so hard. On the other hand, if you just get Kylie to hack Red Eye then the mission might as well be over as every enemy on the map converges to get murdered by it.

Edit: Also, has anyone actually managed to fit Leton into their party? He joined so late I was way too lazy to figure out a way to include him. If so, can you show me what kinda Mastery setup you got for him? Now that I'm just semi-pointlessly grinding to fulfill my own brain worms I figure I might as well give him a try.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 10:26 on May 26, 2020

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tae posted:

The translation for the actual combat is decent enough, half the walls of text when you click on a skill is just explaining the key words.

The translation for the story is being updated weekly, it doesn't really get kinda loopy until near the end when Spoonisms go deep into The Feast and Spoon in your Heart.

Some of the mechanics text can have some just hilarious issues though. I can't figure out WHAT freaking mastery or ability or whatever it was now that I've gone looking for it, but SOMETHING I saw earlier said something along the lines of "Increases damage by Fire times to targets currently in 2 condition".

I wonder what possible plot reason they're going to give for allowing the players access to Bicrons in future content. It's almost guaranteed you'll get some because of the fact that you can craft a bunch of sub-weapon equipment which, as far as I can tell, can exclusively be equipped by Bicrons...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Speaking of new masteries, god, it's so sad to see all the masteries you can get that no one in your party can equip. Especially that Negate Enemy Counter mastery.

Tae posted:

Is albino negoori the only good one or something?

I wouldn't call it the only good one, but it's definitely by far the best one for the simple reason of being able to use the aformentioned super OP status effect that is Freezing.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 27, 2020

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'd also just like to state that no matter what stage of progress I was at in the game, Sion never stopped feeling absolutely busted. If you build him Black Mage he's hilariously squishy but on the other hand he could solo everything if his range wasn't so mediocre. Like, the first time I did the Draki Nest mission I was pretty sure I was going to have to restart because I managed to aggro like half the drat map at once in the nest room, which began filling in with tons and tons of baby drakis murdering all my other characters besides Sion, Ultra Invicible Tank Irene and Giselle (because she was hanging way back). But since Sion somehow both lived and got his turn, he just kinda wiped the entire map on his own due to 1s1k and Catharsis combo.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I just feel like it's hilarious how absurdly above the others characters his damage is. Even at endgame everyone else could hit at maybe 2k-3k or so while Sion was casually breaking 10k. I feel like if he had any sort of way to regain more than one action point per attack like some other characters can he could solo entire maps simply by literally killing everything in a single turn.

Albus technically gets pretty close to being able to do the one turn dream with his great swordsman bleed build, but it relies on Bladestorm RNG to do so. It's still pretty great when that build pops off and you just send him into an entire screen full of dudes and he just wipes them all out one at a time. Completely worthless against mechs, but a lot of builds are.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

And if he gets the kill with the second hit he gets a full extra turn out of it. Which if you have Catharsis and Turn Over A New Leaf can lead to utter hilarity.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Nope, that's exactly what it means. It may be confusing you due to several of them using the same maps as a story mission.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Also even though we reached A ending I doubt we've reached THE ending. There's a lot of hooks still left to develop in the story. I don't know if they're just going to keep stacking onto this game or if they're doing DLC or Troubleshooter 2, but the devs clearly have more plot in them.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The fact that this game is a 100 hours long prologue really reminds me of the Trails series, yeah...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Gotta collect all the Alley kids! Except Carter cuz he went nuts. And let's not even bother trying to talk to Na'am and Turk despite recognizing them multiple times.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Sharky shows up in one of the relatively early violent cases. I wanna say Slum of Shadow Fog?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The dash attack thing is very much still in, I may have just explained it poorly, so here it is in screenshot form:

Note how the DISTANCE accuracy penalty gets removed once I move Albus closer to the Negoori.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yeah, the game actually is very transparent about everything modifying your hit chance and damage in that little breakdown so it's useful to keep an eye on it so you don't get surprised by guys with 100% block chance and the like.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Another important aspect of leveling both subclasses on a character is simply having the option to swap classes if you need/want to. Some characters thrive in one class earlier and in the other later (Such as Albus, who gets a significant power boost by going Magic Swordsman first, but when the last few bleed masteries and Catharsis roll around he becomes a wrecking ball on Great Swordsman).

To the poster above, I understand the frustration with controlling the VHPD, especially so relatively early on. I'm assuming you are aware of the option to set them on AI control, as well as the combat speed options? The missions get a lot less sloggy when playing at max speed, IMHO.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

DoNotFeedTheBear posted:

Also, just some other random thoughts: not sure what the point of Shooter Street was - that should have been cut entirely; same with the food/drink mechanic - when is money ever an issue? It just becomes busy-work; on the fence about the loot mechanic, but identifying objects again just feels like busywork. I liked the idea of jurisdictions, but it feel very constrained to watch your influence drop and not feel like you can do much about it. A lot of game mechanics are not communicated well or even at all to players. What does leveling up your company do? I assume at some point you get more jurisdictions? But what does going from 1 -> 2 actually do?

Shooter Street has sidequests which... Honestly didn't need to be a hub or whatever, could've easily been a sub-menu. Money only ever becomes an issue if you try to get into crafting, at which point you will never have enough. It's extremely not well communicated because most players will naturally level up before that point, but from what I'm led to understand you actually get progression locked until you level your company super late in the game? Oh, and I'd say you never really have to grind in this game (unless you're into crafting/pet raising), a good strategy and mastery board will carry you a lot farther than a couple levels will.

I personally find the huge mishmash of random more or less half completed systems kind of endearing, but I can understand people who don't. I'm just the kind of person who likes playing games with a billion conflicting weird mods so something like Troubleshooters dozens of subsystems just feels comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Doing sidequests in Shooter Street seems to be the main way? I'm not sure it even DOES anything besides (again, supposedly) locking you out of plot progress later on.