Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
So I completed the game twice now: first on hard difficulty, then a new campaign on cruel difficulty but with the masteries already unlocked. Can't wait for the DLC.

Some thoughts on builds:
- Albus: mid game magic knight is better, but end game great swordsman is insane (thanks to blade phantom). Wind masteries aren't very good for him.
- Sion: seems to be all about one-shot-one-kill. I think battle mage is better, but only after you unlock sufficient masteries which can take a long time. By far the best machine killer.
- Irene: mid game martial artist is really good, but end game martial artist falls off hard. Battle mage is always really good, and moving castle mastery set seems mandatory late game.
- Anne: I'm honestly still not sure what her optimal build is, I haven't experimented that much.
- Heixing: ranger is way way stronger, completely destroys anything that bleeds. Sweeper I couldn't make work as well even with much more masteries unlocked.
- Ray: I thought grenadier was quite strong and very easy, but alchemist going full spirit is completely ridiculous (+ catharsis + one shot one kill): never misses, ignores block, dodges everything, and just deals tons of damage if you give her a +ESP weapon.
- Giselle: I enjoyed trap hunter so much in my first game that I went the same build (but even less focused on her rifle) the second campaign. The beast training is huge fun.
- Beast: first game I went ice tima which obviously was really strong: completely invulnerable and one shots whoever attacks it. Second campaign I went earth dorori and I think the dorori actually outdamages the tima most maps. The dorori is slightly less tanky, but has such insane speed and mobility that the overall damage is higher. Also much, much better with "pincer attack with beast" and has the the "Hunter Above the Sky+Gigantic Wings" combo. I also tried earth draki knight at some point, but silence messes it up too much.
- Kylie: hacker can be pretty decent, but overall I don't like her that much, probably because I never bothered with the drones.
- Leton: superstar dodger seems a lot stronger than martial artist blocker.
- Bianca: witch illusionist/glass cannon is completely unfair, she can solo the "bianca+alisa need to escape" mission on cruel difficulty with catharsis+one shot one kill+blood wind set.
- Alisa: Barbarian is extremely strong against ranged opponents (draki in particular), but she's vulnerable against the clowns. Not entirely sure what her best build is, now trying a spirit sp white knight.

To clarify, my favourites: witch Bianca, alchemist Ray, hunter Giselle, ranger Heixing, great swordsman Albus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Thanks a lot for these, will need to try them out.

Main thing to point out is that all of Ray's attack have great base damage and green old age really boosts these. Second heart is whatever, not really sure what to put here.

This results in +30 speed from masteries, another +30 from permanent acceleration, quite a lot of -AT reduction from the mastery sets, and killing anything with a fall attack gives an extra turn.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Bought the DLC right away, but didn't realize I'd have to wait for the other missions. Oh well.

In the meantime, getting to win the solo mission by killing everybody without using hide was a fun challenge. Just did it on Hard, not sure if I'll also try it on Cruel. (Note: I don't think this is possible with the default masteries.)

(Obviously the "nr of enemies out of actions" is bugged here.)

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Pretty much agree with everything.

What I've been trying is to mess around with Heavy Rain, the mastery that increases the %dodge you get from water SP. I'm combining this with Argonaut set + Awaken set + Escape Death + Escape plan + Smoke generator.
So her dodge is: 50 (base) + 10 alacrity + 50 from water SP + 20 from smokescreen movement + 40 extra against ranged attacks. Escape plan gives a guaranteed extra dodge every turn as well, and escape death is very easy to trigger because of the synergy with Awaken and Argonaut.

Obviously I have no idea whether this is the best build, nor what to do with the rest of the build (currently doing executioner+overpower+mighty strike+the seeker of enlightment). I'm currently running ninja only because of the skill that generates smokescreen and the extra ninja tool slot, but perhaps I should try out "Improved slice and dice" and compare.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
How do you unlock "Support Ninjutsu improvement"?

My build: (mostly trying to optimise for beating her solo chapter without using hide, still have to try Cruel.)

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I tried again and I can confirm that the build I posted is good enough to beat her solo chapter on Cruel difficulty. (I did require escape death once.) In the meantime I also just unlocked that "support ninjutsu improvement" mastery.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
That's cool. I don't have call of water so the big majority water masteries seemed completely useless to me, it's good that they gave her at least one extra water skill. Probably still not enough to make water mastery builds viable without having to level a mature venom drake to lvl 16, but perhaps it does give some more versatility.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I think Sniper Giselle can also tame beasts?

Either way, taming beasts is a really awesome mechanism. You can do a lot of fun builds and the beasts can get insanely strong.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
It seems to me the water mastery build is really strong, but it 100% requires Call of Water which is ridiculously hard to get.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Do any of these +XP talents actually make a difference w.r.t. class leveling? (I.e. getting to lvl 16)

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Did somebody check the new gold draki? I'm curious what the sp type is and what the difference is with the normal draki equivalent.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Sandweed posted:

Misty is disgustingly powerful if you get her speed up.

Oh yeah absolutely. She's insane.

This is even without the free acceleration with sprint or all the -AT boosts she can stack.

Vengarr posted:

The only reason she’s worth bringing is that her beasts have good utility. She is third or fourth string at clearing trash mobs, and while she has high single-target damage, her pisspoor mobility (high heels!) and low defense means that Sion will have killed the boss by the time she’s in range.

I booted up the game just to check, and my Giselle has the highest move distance and second highest speed (after misty) of the whole team when swift chase is active, with also very good -AT reduction. So the poor mobility seems to me a consequence of whatever build you're using.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

Previous star was Albus great swordsman for alpha striking hard targets but now he's struggling to get enough block shred to kill tanky mobs. Need to take another look at his masteries, he should probably be able to do that especially with his passive shred and 100% damage boost from bleed.

Currently sucking: Sion as I neglected gearing for speed so his AT delay doesn't let him go ham very often. Also Leton, kinda? I'm bad at positioning him in spots where he can tank and responsive attack all the dudes. Alisa is also a little too squishy.

For Albus you should take a look at Traces of Blood + Bloodbath + Blade Phantom. I never bothered with Castle Gate Breakthrough or similar abilities, because blade phantom + breakthrough takes care of blocking enemies already.

For Sion: improving magic + great wizard staff + magical acceleration = 95% cast time reduction. I.e. Lightnight storm (the SP aoe thingy) has a cast delay of 3. Together with quick grasp of the situation, one shot one kill, and (improved) magic stamp, he can get quite a lot of actions in.

Leton is pretty much invulnerable if you can get Frosty Fortress (requires ice castle mastery though), and then acrobat+great snow plains means he gets to act quite a lot when tanking attacks.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Not having Enough Rest is indeed unlucky! I just checked and I have it active on 5 of the 12 characters: Albus (Life drain + second wind), Heixing (Life drain), Leton (Life drain + Freezing-Resistant Side Effect), Giselle (Beast Friend), Misty (Life Drain). Which was less than I thought, because also Irene (Magic Conversion + Magic Relief) and Alisa (Life drain) had it at some point I believe.

In the meantime I also checked which other masteries I have a lot of times. I assume my top 2 is probably going to be the same for most people Veteran and Body Training.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

OzFactor posted:

I took a very, very, very, very long break in playing this game and I forgot a lot of things, so I started over and am slowly remembering everything. But here are two things I can't remember and I'm sure you all can help with:

1) When discovering mastery sets, when you have something that's unknown but hinted at, it just corresponds to the color of the category, right? e.g. if it's green it's basic, red it's attack, etc. And if it says "it is one of the masteries that you can research" that doesn't necessarily mean you can currently research it, just that it's in your discovery list, right? Like if it's something that you know the ingredients for but one of the ingredients is something you can't make. This is my understanding, but I just want to make sure.

2) I'm in the middle of chapter 3, just finished scenario #4 "Stop and Look Back," when do I get Heixing? I have a ton of gun masteries and I've been using mulching them but I have a few that look cool and I don't remember how long I should be saving them.

1) Yes, indeed.
2) The recruitment order: Albus->Sion->Irene->Anne->Heixing->... . So it'll be some time yet.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
If I recall correctly you also get Jeff's mastery if you recruited enough monsters.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
For Sion: you can get his base speed quite high with Accelerate Nerve Network and the Nerve Stimulus mastery set. Besides that it's all about the Overflowing energy mastery, which reduces action time every time you gain SP while overcharge is active. If you also get the Reinforced Nerve Network mastery set then you have +75% lightning SP from ability, so this is quite effective.

The rest probably doesn't matter that much. This is what I'm running now, but I'm sure many other builds with the same ideas can work. Black mage is better if you want to act often, because they can reduce cast time a ton + the 10 AT reduction from Magical Acceleration set (they also deal more damage).

I don't think it's necessary to get "+ overcharge duration" masteries because getting to 100 SP is so fast.

That said, I'm now on my third run (this time cruel/challenge) and I still never found a Leton build I like.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 4, 2023

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Managed to clear the last map on cruel/challenge with high risk/reward and paranoid active, but it did take me three attempts. Guess I should give the mungo map another try now.

I have no idea why the devs decided to remove the "blessing of avalon requires 30 vigor to activate". Second wind + enough rest means you get 10 vigor every time you have less than 33% health so you need to be quite unlucky to die. The rest of his toolkit was pretty incredible already and wind veil is great. I had Albus running around on his own while the other 9 stuck together (2 died extremely early).

I wish this game had a modding community. Best would be a mod that just shuffles the ESP types around of the non-spirit heroes so you can have a new and different playthrough (switching some specific classes where it makes sense would also be cool). Second best would be a mod that removes the "+1 cooldown on esp abilities" of silence shot, removing the silence status effect should be enough to cast ESP abilities again in my opinion.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 14, 2023

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Since I don't want to start another game while waiting for baldur's gate 3 I've been playing this one a bit more.

Current goal: find out who is capable of soloing "gold hand backstreet" on the highest difficulty settings. To clarify: that's the "very hard" level 57 mission with 45 mungo's to defeat.

Findings when testing with beasts:
- Both albino negoori (ice) and big mud negoori (earth) had a pretty easy time. It seems quite likely that every negoori is able to solo the map if optimized to do it once you have the trinket that Ben drops ("if you damage 5 enemies while it's not your turn, it becomes your turn").
- Albino crabmit (wind) has the speed run record and is also really easy. I think the other crabmit's will have more issues since wind veil seems mandatory.
- I got quite close with gold wing (fire dorori), I think that should be possible as well if I play it better.
- I'm sure there must be some mungo build capable of doing this, but haven't found one yet. Currently trying with the great swordsman.
Obviously I'm not going to try every beast out there, I'm just trying to do it with every SP element (and perhaps every creature type afterwards).

The humans have a much more difficult time since they don't have access to predator. That said, albus can do it very easily. Alisa probably could as well, but my only attempt I didn't play well enough. Haven't tried the others yet.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I recommend to do only story missions until you recruit the character that can tame/train beasts. The game opens up when you have more heroes.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

ZearothK posted:

While I am here begging for builds, would you mind sharing those Negoori builds? My Big Mud is one of my best, but not "solo contemporary violent case CC Paranoid" tier, so clearly a lot of room for improvement there.

Note: it's not the violet case, just the regular blue "very hard" one.

Here you go:

Note: Mutant is only because otherwise he has no good way of clearing contraction/fear which the mungo's love too much. Otherwise I'd get heavy strike to complete the "unstoppable beast" set.

His stats:

As I mentioned before this becomes a lot better once you get this item:

Combined with giselle placing traps and triggering "pincer with beasts" attacks it's actually quite easy to get to trigger this.

In hindsight the recovery training mastery was not a good pick. Something like wobbly belly or hidden wildness would have been even better.

With regards to the albino negoori:

The stats are obviously worse, but the beast king set gives +40% damage done and -40% damage received and forestallment+freezing attack is always awesome. If you replace keen sense with impulse fields then she can solo the mungo king if nobody else is around to trigger his passive.

When I'm posting builds, this one managed to clear the map as well without dropping below 50% health:

With brave beast and beast union that's 90% block (not counting bullet slice), and each block reduces his AT time by 30.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 31, 2023

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Giselle is by far the easiest to solo the game with if you let her use her beasts.

For the others: depends on the difficulty setting. Albus and Alisa seem easiest to me besides Giselle.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 10, 2023

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

Sion black mage is surprisingly good solo, so long as you can keep the pain train going.

True. Bianca is (even) better at one-shot-one-kill deleting a map though.

By the way, unpopular opinion: I think on high difficulty White Knight Alisa is more relieable than Barbarian.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Clarste posted:

Perhaps, but you don't get the irreplaceable joy of Wildcat Engine.

Edit: I should clarify: one of my favorite builds early-mid game was Martial Artist Irene focused on counterattacks and getting AT back from counterattack kills, but that sort of became useless once they started introducing more ranged or uncounterable enemies with the White Tiger gang, and it hasn't got any better since then. So Alisa being able to run around and effectively "counterattack" ranged enemies with Wildcat Engine is me getting my revenge on them.

Ha, that's why I like Negoori so much! A lot of beasts are really strong, but the frogs having a ranged melee attack that works with Counterattack is such an unique and unbalanced mechanic. I think the draki, crabmit, and mungo violent case maps would all be more difficult if you replaced the enemies with high level Negoori with decent builds.

But if we're talking about what's most fun to play (and still good) instead of what's most optimal, then I'd put the frogs lower for the same reason why I find Barbarian not that fun either: you sometimes just have to watch them kill enemies without input for a long time before it's your turn again. Builds that get to play really often or chain kills are my favourite, as well as those with high risk/reward.

With regards to the last violent case map: I actually dont like it that much because of the layout. There's too much backtracking and empty corridors. The new beasts and the machine are cool though.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Finished the game. I now have 462 hours in this game. My first campaign I didn't complete, but afterwards I did 3 campaigns until the end with increasing difficulty (so 4 in total).

The final map was a bit easy, certainly compared with the previous story mission. But I understand that they didn't want to do the same thing again. I lost two heroes to getting one-shot, but when you have numerical parity it's too easy to stop the enemies from being dangerous with AT delay + confusion protocol. The shield destron ran out of fuel before running out of health.

Probably not going to play again for a long time since there's no way to further increase the difficulty besides self-imposed challenges.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
There's a cheat code in the game to unlock all masteries! (it's in the help somewhere)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Oh, that's neat, if dishonourable. i will probably use it. Does it disable cheevos?

I think so. You could probably abuse that by using that cheat code in one campaign and then starting a new one with the option "keep all unlocks from this other campaign".

By the way I'm pretty happy the protagonist of the second game is a hunter because that makes it quite likely we'll get access to monster taming very early on.