Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
I accidentally forgot to post a page yesterday before the computer screen, I edited my previous post to include it where it belongs. Goodbye ?, we hardly knew ye

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

whoops, that seems like a fuckup on my part

but I"m loving the flying spaghetti monster clippy

ty nesamdoom!

Ass-penny

I want to say I haven't been following this thread, but I caught up when it was closed last night and this is super funny, and your illustrations kick rear end.

Anyway, I think we should nourish the quest log.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Begin farming gold in goblin mtg, then switch to the other part of our body

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Khanstant

rear end-penny posted:

I want to say I haven't been following this thread, but I caught up when it was closed last night and this is super funny, and your illustrations kick rear end.

Thank you for playing!!

I should explain Black Friday if I haven't already. It's basically the biggest holiday for a lot of folk, short version: the richest person is rounded up for the holiday events, where they are trampled by the public and their treasure and such redistributed and wrapped up for the children to have a surprise on Black Friday morning.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 2, 2020

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

accept tf outta that quest

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Manifisto

black friday sounds like a rad holiday, I approve

ty nesamdoom!

Khanstant

owlhawk911 posted:

accept tf outta that quest

okay but there are two accept buttons. One for normal accept, and one for Double Rewards (two psychic fruit, 2 Bejeweled Bleeding Tooth Cursors, and six antique mutation sodas[extremely premium-expired])

owlhawk911

Khanstant posted:

okay but there are two accept buttons. One for normal accept, and one for Double Rewards (two psychic fruit, 2 Bejeweled Bleeding Tooth Cursors, and six antique mutation sodas[extremely premium-expired])

trampling the rich is its own Double Rewards

blaise rascal

that update was. well, it was really really really good

Manifisto

blaise rascal posted:

that update was. well, it was really really really good

ty nesamdoom!

Khanstant
one previous page was missing a line, edited it to include in previous post

Manifisto

is the card the same as the quest bud, or is it something different?

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

khanstant, while your art is not all that similar to edward gorey, it still reminds me of his work in a vague (and good) way. it is distinctive, fun, kinda skewed. I really appreciate it.

ty nesamdoom!

Dick Bastardly

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
OP you're freaking me out with how cool and good this all is

Awesome winter sig by Symbolic, love it!

Lovely sig by the masterful Matoi Ryuko, thanks!

Khanstant

Manifisto posted:

is the card the same as the quest bud, or is it something different?

i resisted my dumb wordplay fetish and the bud is just an actual budding branch on the Quest Log itself, instead of a new buddy. It's the new little bone with a leaf poking out. The Quest Log is a type of young sentient tree, completing quests helps it grow and eventually gains root access to the enternet, connecting it with other sentient trees of its species (plus parasites, fungal networks, Douglas, occasionally other more mundane sentient tree species, and very rarely an aggressive mechanical plant intelligence might tap in but generally it's very secure).

the card is just a "normal" counterfit All Cards Game card, printed from the processed flesh/bark of the Quest Log. the bark grows back, unless you take too much then it could seriously damage the QL's health. If you had no respect for life and little regard for your own, you could process the entire QL to make a ton of cards and other things but y'all there's a lot of sentient trees and ain't none of em going to take kindly to goblins or sentient meats killing a kid to make poo poo out of its corpse. A few cards here and there, though... even trees play All Cards Game. Not to mention, they make counterfit card printers to use all sorts of natural materials.

These are valid for use in all card games, games involving cards, games of chance, games that could involve cards, games that forbid cards, hunting wild games, games that might incite one to hate a player instead of the game itself as that player would prefer you do, games where things are thrown/dropped/folded, and the game of life. Additionally, like any normal counterfit ACG card, it can be used as one form of valid I.D, for credit/debit transactions, to get the price they advertised by the product in the first drat place at grocery store, unlock motel doors, to exchange contact information, for divination, to deliver greetings or highlight special events/milestones/holidays, or to clean out gunk from a small crevice.

Of course the cards can also be used in magic tricks, but you should never use them as components in magic spells -- the spell will fail, you'll look like an idiot and will probably ruin the card (or if you're a turbonerd you could make a deck built around spell-spoiled cards just to show off).

For trading purposes, it's pretty simple. Since the game contains all cards and every individual card is considered wholly distinct and every card is really equally rare, the value of the card is just considered the equivalent of the face value of the card because it can be. An ace of spades is equivalent to one large heart, a death tarot card equivalent to an armored prop skeleton on a horse, graveler pokemon card equivalent to a golem, etc you get the picture.

Manifisto

sounds to me like we should take the card

ty nesamdoom!

The DPRK

we're leaking. plug the leak and imprison the lime.

Dick Bastardly

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Manifisto posted:

sounds to me like we should take the card

Khanstant

hmmm game is getting laggy and buggy

I started a branch of this game on Instagram but it's not feasible for me to update both and technically they all but killed their goblin by the 20th page by chugging void fluid (this is the voided-out goblin corpse currently bursting through the GUI). im making the final update round/gameover for that branch and when I do I'll recap those all here in some fashion

Manifisto

does cuscutabelle have any advice?

(another great entry btw)

ty nesamdoom!

Ass-penny

I want to say hello to the person on top of our computer, and check out the partially fluid filled balloon in the garbage. Who would throw away a perfectly good balloon?

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

blaise rascal

So, I'm trying to learn top-down game design in the godot game engine, and uh this happened

https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/walk-around-slippy-city

The password is "goblin"

(khanstant I hope you don't mind)

Manifisto

blaise rascal posted:

So, I'm trying to learn top-down game design in the godot game engine, and uh this happened

The password is "goblin"

that is pretty neat

ty nesamdoom!

owlhawk911

blaise rascal posted:

The password is "goblin"

gently caress ya bud!

blaise rascal

owlhawk911 posted:

gently caress ya bud!
Are you being ironic? I think you are. I should explain: I am not selling this. In fact, no one on the internet can find it unless they have the password. And I'm happy to take it down at any time.

Next, I want to learn how to add collisions with walls and with NPCs' feet. Also separate the NPCs from the background so that you can walk behind them - but for that it would be helpful if Khanstant could give me the image layer with just the NPCs on it. Actually, now is a good point for me to ask if Khanstant wants me to continue using his art or not. If not, I'll replace all his drawings with some public domain art, and move discussion of my project away from this thread. Again, this project is just for my own education.

Khanstant

blaise rascal posted:

Are you being ironic? I think you are. I should explain: I am not selling this. In fact, no one on the internet can find it unless they have the password. And I'm happy to take it down at any time.

Next, I want to learn how to add collisions with walls and with NPCs' feet. Also separate the NPCs from the background so that you can walk behind them - but for that it would be helpful if Khanstant could give me the image layer with just the NPCs on it. Actually, now is a good point for me to ask if Khanstant wants me to continue using his art or not. If not, I'll replace all his drawings with some public domain art, and move discussion of my project away from this thread. Again, this project is just for my own education.

I loved this thing!! You have absolute permission to continue and share! Also, I think owlhawk mean it like "gently caress yeah, bud," encouragement style. I meant to respond yesterday but I got distracted making some crap but I meant to tell you I could provide my PSDs if those would help.

I can provide you the PSD for the drawing you did that game on, but thats ones actually a crapshoot because I drew it in a "lazy" way. It was a "break" from a drawing I started in like 2016 to "test out" my new tablet-monitor but it kept growing and growing and i needed a break. so then i started that one, which you made the gametest from, which also grew out of control as I kept expanding the canvas. Anyway, most of the figures i just drew full-body, then placed them, at some point i would straight up erase the drawing when it was clipping something else. Some of those goblins i managed to quick-export out before the mergening and erasing, but not all and the final PSD has most folks on a few layers or even just one, been a while since i looked.

However, the original drawing, still unfinished but like ~75% done, would be much better i think for doing what you're describing. In that drawing, most figures are on their own layer and also are filled with opaque white, so they are layered generally in perspective-place unless there's something tricky going on. ping me on discord with your email and ill send you a dropbox link to the file

P.S. I was going to share the random ACG cards I made from a couple of figures from the drawing ill send you but imgur keeps saying my cursed images failed to upload

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 10, 2020

owlhawk911

blaise rascal posted:

"gently caress yeah, buddy" :cmon:

blaise rascal

owlhawk911 posted:

"gently caress yeah, buddy" :cmon:
Oh lol, I definitely read "gently caress ya" as "gently caress you" not "gently caress yeah."

Khanstant posted:

I loved this thing!! You have absolute permission to continue and share! Also, I think owlhawk mean it like "gently caress yeah, bud," encouragement style. I meant to respond yesterday but I got distracted making some crap but I meant to tell you I could provide my PSDs if those would help.

I can provide you the PSD for the drawing you did that game on, but thats ones actually a crapshoot because I drew it in a "lazy" way. It was a "break" from a drawing I started in like 2016 to "test out" my new tablet-monitor but it kept growing and growing and i needed a break. so then i started that one, which you made the gametest from, which also grew out of control as I kept expanding the canvas. Anyway, most of the figures i just drew full-body, then placed them, at some point i would straight up erase the drawing when it was clipping something else. Some of those goblins i managed to quick-export out before the mergening and erasing, but not all and the final PSD has most folks on a few layers or even just one, been a while since i looked.

However, the original drawing, still unfinished but like ~75% done, would be much better i think for doing what you're describing. In that drawing, most figures are on their own layer and also are filled with opaque white, so they are layered generally in perspective-place unless there's something tricky going on. ping me on discord with your email and ill send you a dropbox link to the file
I'm glad you liked it! And yeah, I'm pretty sure the psds would help, from what you're describing! Sending you a message in discord now

There are all kind of interesting thoughts to be had here. Controlling one of the little lime guys in this dense city scene works fine, but if the player character was a goblin, and thus as big as all the other characters in the scene, there would be very little room to maneuver. My gut feeling is that either the PC should be a lime guy, or the NPCs should be spaced farther apart. Another thought: This image is so big, it takes forever to load. I could put in a better-functioning loading screen, or maybe I could break it up into smaller scenes that get loaded & unloaded more frequently, to cut down on each individual loading time. A good example of a small screen that would be quick to load would be the goblin's room in the first page of the CYOA. (just kinda rambling here)

Khanstant
No goblin game update, but just wanted to say I haven't forgotten this and am always working on various goblin things. ( I've suddenly started doing 3D work??)

https://i.imgur.com/Co7f02W.mp4

blaise rascal

Khanstant posted:

No goblin game update, but just wanted to say I haven't forgotten this and am always working on various goblin things. ( I've suddenly started doing 3D work??)
[timg]
Freaking amazing! What’s the 3rd from bottom image?

nut

is that blue fluid??

Stoner Sloth

love your dedication to this wolrd friend! it's great and your art is amazing, really appreciate the little details!!

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Goons Are Gifts

nut posted:

is that blue fluid??

1x/month it definitely is

blaise rascal

I was just thinking about how someone might go about adapting this CYOA into a Goblin Honey computer rpg. I feel like it would be a mistake to try to closely emulate the mechanics and stylings of successful rpgs like final fantasy, because part of the joy of the Goblin Honey setting, is how utterly bizarre and different it is. I think a successful Goblin Honey game would be continually humorous, off-putting, and just a little "unknowable." Take, for instance, the issue of dialog. I think it would be fine to make it so that you could walk up to an NPC and press the "interact" button; but if you do, rather than a snippet of dialog, there should be a 3rd-person narration describing what happens.

Example. After pressing "interact", instead of
"I came all the way to this shop, only to find out it's closed. Darn!"

It could be
The goblin seems nonplussed about the fact that the store is closed.

This idea is directly inspired by this CYOA, which has very little (no?) dialog. I especially like the world "seems" because it emphasizes how unknowable this world is. Just my 2 cents

Manifisto

Khanstant posted:

https://i.imgur.com/Co7f02W.mp4

dang, dude

just . . . dang

owlhawk911

Manifisto posted:

dang, dude

just . . . dang

i already hooted about it in the discord but this sums it up really. can't wait to leave this world for the land of goblin honey

Khanstant

blaise rascal posted:

Freaking amazing! What’s the 3rd from bottom image?

Trying to make some different buildings and structures for Corpses Christi city scenes. I've put off setting Goblin stuff too deep in the city because its a pain to draw hella buildings and stuff, at least for me, architecture drawing takes way longer than drawing gobs n ppl. This one I was trying to make a massive temple, you can see little gobs sprinkled about, but I think maybe I made it TOO big, still trying to figure out scale of these things. This was going to be a kind of toilet-temple, there's a glowing piss pool in the center of this one, and my idea was goblins would live inside of the pillars, I've got the little doors at the base of each pillar but didn't make a bunch of little windows like I wanted.

Plus when modeling it I started getting worried about the logistics, like that one ramp isn't enough to get around this thing, and is the only way up top through the interior pillars, if so, where do they emerge? What about rain? Goblins like it moister than most, so wet flat surfaces aren't so bad but I still built a little channel on the top part of the building to catch some rainfall lol.

nut posted:

is that blue fluid??

You know it! Used Toilet Paper (UTP) is a popular street food for goblins, "blue fluid" being one of the more modern sauces.

blaise rascal posted:

I was just thinking about how someone might go about adapting this CYOA into a Goblin Honey computer rpg. I feel like it would be a mistake to try to closely emulate the mechanics and stylings of successful rpgs like final fantasy, because part of the joy of the Goblin Honey setting, is how utterly bizarre and different it is. I think a successful Goblin Honey game would be continually humorous, off-putting, and just a little "unknowable." Take, for instance, the issue of dialog. I think it would be fine to make it so that you could walk up to an NPC and press the "interact" button; but if you do, rather than a snippet of dialog, there should be a 3rd-person narration describing what happens.

Example. After pressing "interact", instead of
"I came all the way to this shop, only to find out it's closed. Darn!"

It could be
The goblin seems nonplussed about the fact that the store is closed.

This idea is directly inspired by this CYOA, which has very little (no?) dialog. I especially like the world "seems" because it emphasizes how unknowable this world is. Just my 2 cents

Yeah! I've had one or two speech bubbles I think, but even those I think I referenced in the "game dialogue box" in some way. I definitely agree having the narration describe it would be the way to go, I like to think the goblins internal monologue/thought-process would be a bit opaque to us. It's also probably 50/50 whether a goblin would recognized "closed" to mean "go away try again later" and not "go on in, nobody is using it!"

I think also the fact that Goblins can't read, but they are able to write might be fun to play with in that kind of game setting. Maybe some moment where words or text signs make it obvious to the literate player where to go, but the goblin can't read em and seems to refuse to do what the player is asking b/c they can't understand why. Plus goblin-read-devices or a reading-non-goblin-buddy might be something you need to solve a puzzle or something.

Also agreed on not emulating FF, especially not the loop of fight-monster-get-XP of it all. Every "monster" in Goblin Honey would just be people. Hell, inanimate objects have souls and some inanimate objects have sentience. Not that all denizens of GH have any special care for life, but generally from a meta perspective it would be rude to casually kill entities just for kicks? I envision a system more like Undertale where you have more options in encounters than "do violence." Rewarding lateral thinking, or making solutions that work outside the systems presented to you. Like, if a goblin trapped in a room with a monster it doesn't want to kill or help, the player could maybe drag the goblin physically out of the games "bounds" to put them outside of the room (and the game... so you though, but then it continues like that? just spitballing).

That said, humans are kind of the punching-bag race of this world, even in so-called "human eras." For example, most of the material shown and this CYOA game are set in the "third goblin age" which we consider the "present" more-or-less. This era was preceded by a human era, where relatively few goblins were on the surface, and outside of Corpses Christi, some human people might've grown up never seeing one, or not recognizing it when they do. The humans of this previous era got way into making human colonies and settlements all over the place, start mulching up the mechanical trees, mining out the gumdrop rocks, pelling fleshbark from the meat forests, etc. Got so bad many of them started turning into straight up capitalisks (a condition/disease/curse humans and some other non-gob races can succumb to) and while their thick, spiny carapaces look good, underneath is a soft, evil, former-being that's actually torn apart it's own soul* but they inject it with saline so it seems a lot bigger and more expensive. Anyway, the humans got so into all this capitalism poo poo they warmed the planet back up to ideal goblin heat, humidity, pollution, etc which makes life harder (or impossible in some areas) for humans, but perfect for Goblins to return to the surface and open ranges.

*souls in goblin honey are a type of parasite, they don't have any influence on a being's behaviour; a soul however is highly influenced by an individuals behaviour and really lovely people can make some hosed-up souls, and unnattended to hosed-up souls can cause Problems.^2

^2 Goblins naturally digest and decompose souls of things they eat. (souls do not parasitize goblins)

blaise rascal

:eyepop: The origin of capitalisks revealed! Thanks, this is quite interesting / entertaining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
the OP, this thread, the art and everyone in it is just freakin amazing