Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
this thread is really good

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

Begin farming gold in goblin mtg, then switch to the other part of our body

blaise rascal

that update was. well, it was really really really good

blaise rascal

So, I'm trying to learn top-down game design in the godot game engine, and uh this happened

https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/walk-around-slippy-city

The password is "goblin"

(khanstant I hope you don't mind)

blaise rascal

owlhawk911 posted:

gently caress ya bud!
Are you being ironic? I think you are. I should explain: I am not selling this. In fact, no one on the internet can find it unless they have the password. And I'm happy to take it down at any time.

Next, I want to learn how to add collisions with walls and with NPCs' feet. Also separate the NPCs from the background so that you can walk behind them - but for that it would be helpful if Khanstant could give me the image layer with just the NPCs on it. Actually, now is a good point for me to ask if Khanstant wants me to continue using his art or not. If not, I'll replace all his drawings with some public domain art, and move discussion of my project away from this thread. Again, this project is just for my own education.

blaise rascal

owlhawk911 posted:

"gently caress yeah, buddy" :cmon:
Oh lol, I definitely read "gently caress ya" as "gently caress you" not "gently caress yeah."

Khanstant posted:

I loved this thing!! You have absolute permission to continue and share! Also, I think owlhawk mean it like "gently caress yeah, bud," encouragement style. I meant to respond yesterday but I got distracted making some crap but I meant to tell you I could provide my PSDs if those would help.

I can provide you the PSD for the drawing you did that game on, but thats ones actually a crapshoot because I drew it in a "lazy" way. It was a "break" from a drawing I started in like 2016 to "test out" my new tablet-monitor but it kept growing and growing and i needed a break. so then i started that one, which you made the gametest from, which also grew out of control as I kept expanding the canvas. Anyway, most of the figures i just drew full-body, then placed them, at some point i would straight up erase the drawing when it was clipping something else. Some of those goblins i managed to quick-export out before the mergening and erasing, but not all and the final PSD has most folks on a few layers or even just one, been a while since i looked.

However, the original drawing, still unfinished but like ~75% done, would be much better i think for doing what you're describing. In that drawing, most figures are on their own layer and also are filled with opaque white, so they are layered generally in perspective-place unless there's something tricky going on. ping me on discord with your email and ill send you a dropbox link to the file
I'm glad you liked it! And yeah, I'm pretty sure the psds would help, from what you're describing! Sending you a message in discord now

There are all kind of interesting thoughts to be had here. Controlling one of the little lime guys in this dense city scene works fine, but if the player character was a goblin, and thus as big as all the other characters in the scene, there would be very little room to maneuver. My gut feeling is that either the PC should be a lime guy, or the NPCs should be spaced farther apart. Another thought: This image is so big, it takes forever to load. I could put in a better-functioning loading screen, or maybe I could break it up into smaller scenes that get loaded & unloaded more frequently, to cut down on each individual loading time. A good example of a small screen that would be quick to load would be the goblin's room in the first page of the CYOA. (just kinda rambling here)

blaise rascal

Khanstant posted:

No goblin game update, but just wanted to say I haven't forgotten this and am always working on various goblin things. ( I've suddenly started doing 3D work??)
[timg]
Freaking amazing! What’s the 3rd from bottom image?

blaise rascal

I was just thinking about how someone might go about adapting this CYOA into a Goblin Honey computer rpg. I feel like it would be a mistake to try to closely emulate the mechanics and stylings of successful rpgs like final fantasy, because part of the joy of the Goblin Honey setting, is how utterly bizarre and different it is. I think a successful Goblin Honey game would be continually humorous, off-putting, and just a little "unknowable." Take, for instance, the issue of dialog. I think it would be fine to make it so that you could walk up to an NPC and press the "interact" button; but if you do, rather than a snippet of dialog, there should be a 3rd-person narration describing what happens.

Example. After pressing "interact", instead of
"I came all the way to this shop, only to find out it's closed. Darn!"

It could be
The goblin seems nonplussed about the fact that the store is closed.

This idea is directly inspired by this CYOA, which has very little (no?) dialog. I especially like the world "seems" because it emphasizes how unknowable this world is. Just my 2 cents

blaise rascal

:eyepop: The origin of capitalisks revealed! Thanks, this is quite interesting / entertaining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

neat how you tied those plotlines together!