Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
I'm also playing this game, learning it as I go having never played a baseball game before. It's fun! And it's fun because all sorts of odd things happen.

I played against the AI earlier today in Season mode (low ego though, don't judge me, this is my learning-to-play run) and slammed a homer down the line with my pitcher. Nice! Next at bat for my pitcher, I manage to time the swing perfectly and muscle the ball into deep straightaway centre field, where the centre fielder leaps ten feet into the air up the wall and pulls it back. I was so stunned I forgot to tag up from third.

A few innings later, another hard line drive is heading to the exact same spot and the exact same centre fielder performs the exact same gravity-defying feat, and helpfully punches the ball over the fence for a homer, complete with Metal Gear alert sound.

I'm enjoying the learning curve, especially having learned to power hit for homers, and will be upping the ego again soon. The devs have done a very nice job of putting the game together and giving the player both simple tools for hitting and pitching along with the risk-reward of the power button. Anyway, that's my story thanks for listening.

As regards your franchise, I'd advise fixing the parts of the team most in need of repair and plan for the future. Over a short season, five games is a lot to make up. Therefore, I suggest:

Catcher: Long-term, Appleseed would be the choice for me over Raines, backed up by Quorn. Appleseed has a few years in reserve over Raines and a better arm and lower salary than Koch.

Shortstop/2B: Obviously, you'd want to bring in Khan but I think you need to keep Jackman's bat in the squad, so the mooted move of Santana for Runs might be better for team balance and finance for now and come back to the problem later.

3B: I'd want the best of the bunch to come in at 3rd because Badhop is terrible. Polebean looks like a very good everyday 3B, and is still at a good age.

RP: bringing in Doyle for Frequin and 9 mill in cap space is logical and makes other moves possible.

OF: Evergreen by name, but I think a younger body is needed in that position. As you note, it might be wise to wait for the salary demands to drop and then I'd favour Dillion over Pacheco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Cuveball Sliders posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyx6BABVpjY
Watch this video. Game starts at 5:30.

So here are our choices:

1. Davila for Brown then get Houndstooth: Leaves 3.6 million total cap space remaining.

2. Davila for Douchee then get Houndstooth: Would leave over 8 million in total cap space

3. Polebean for Brown then Houndstooth: 1.9 million left over.

4. Polebean for Douchee then Houndstooth: 6.5 million as our final cap space.

Hoping to get at least game one of our series against the Blowfish posted tomorrow but I'm not sure I'll have the time, so voting/discussion will be open at least until then.

That was a hell of a game! The longball is in fashion this season. I've also noticed that catchers have started dropping excessive numbers of pitches and a patch did drop recently.

As for the player moves, I think option 4 is the one to take. Is Polebean's extra athleticism worth the extra $1.5 million? Maybe, but it can't hurt.