Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Be the moose. resign munstar and become unstoppable

Their defense isn't great at first base and their backup catcher is quite possibly the slowest non-pitcher player I've seen, but they can put the runs up and have a decent pen if you never put farmhand in the game

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

It's nice to have someone soak up innings, but I've had a few games where he comes in up by 6 or 8 and comes out with 0.0 IP, 5H and a lead reduced to 1. Considering he replaced Munstar it's a heck of a gulf!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Maybe not the place for it but I don't think there's an smb thread. I just lost a franchise game 10-9. They had 2 earned runs -_-

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Error rate has definitely gone up, it's normally not too bad but swinging passed ball 3rd strike -> dropped throw to first -> grand slam is a tough pill to swallow. Was playing the moose against the buzzards. Perry Quaker has always been a bit rough at 1st.

I love the random aspect of baseball, sometimes they just get you. Part of why the season is (normally) 162 games. Gotta try and factor out the crazy variance.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

1. Pick one of the above starts to watch. It will be posted in addition to both games of our series against the Wild Pigs
I'd like to see some away games, so the wide loads would be nice. There's the two game set against the wild pigs, but to see if a change of environment helps the team would be nice.

2. Pick one player development opportunity to pursue. Skip is also an option if you want to save up.
Badhop brown seems the only real opportunity worth it, and it's a cheap one. Always up for a bit more of an arm, though with that low fielding I'm not sure if brown is worth keeping.

3. Not a vote so much as a debate, but who are our bottom 3 performers we should be looking at replacing immediately once free agency opens up? Everyone is fair game here.
There's two noticable mendoza line problems in the lineup. Evergreen is 35 so her stats are only going to drop. Maybe there's a cheaper younger option you could pick up? Same with Duchee. Give them a few more games to try and turn it around, but once moves start happening they'd be up near the top for me, especially if the team keeps dropping games.
Steamboat Wiselle I'd be looking to drop as well if the team keeps losing. The bullpen workload is chewing them up, but at 41 and on $9.8m I'd be looking for a cheaper innings eater, with loopinovich as my higher leverage reliever.

These are all recommendations based on the team continuing to lose, if things turn around then probably not worth it dropping players depending on what's available free agent wise as well.

Addendum
4. I recently learned of a workaround to the lineup issue that would allow me to set the lineup for at least the games we watch. Should I continue to let the AI set the lineup and starting pitcher or should I take advantage of this?
Give it until after the wild pigs series? I don't think lineup has been too much of an issue. I'd drop woodman to 5 or 6, and maybe move duchee/runs up the order for a bit more speed but probably better to see if the team can start stringing some hits together. The pitchers getting blown up is something that unfortunately can't really be helped

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

theenglishman posted:

I've been working on my own franchise, but one thing I can't quite understand mechanically is how the bullpen works. I don't seem to be able to get relief pitchers and closers to "warm up" (this seems to be done automatically) but how does the game compensate for a pitcher running into a bad start and needing to be pulled?

You don't need to warm up your pen. The relievers come in warm, with whatever mojo/fatigue they had from the game prior.

What kind of compensation are you meaning? A starter pulled early will have less fatigue if they threw fewer pitches but their mojo will likely take a hit if they got blown up.

Somehow I ended up turning the moose into bullpen beasts, and am now 3-4 in my current season because I suck at pitching. Giving up 12+ hits a game is nerve wracking even if I normally score 6+ runs a game.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

That nemesis game was a good game of baseball. New commentary style is really good! Feels like a good pace for commentary that matches with the faster pace of smb compared to real baseball. That was definitely the home broadcast crew based on the semi-disgusted reaction to walker runs striking out to end the 8th.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

tomanton posted:

I'd like to see Ed Reed for Wissele (maybe this will nudge up Frequin's use too). Bernal is still overpriced. Doyle for McPride would be more pitches for less money, so that's a great deal. Santana just seems like another fossil but with less depth.

I agree with this. Also factoring in is the clear moment's pause and "oh boy" when you realise he's been put in the game. You don't even like him! There are cheaper innings eater options out there who hopefully won't come with 10+ ERA.

Pretty much every time walker runs comes up to bat I start softly chanting men-do-za in my head.

The wild pigs are always a frustrating team I've found. With power teams like nemesis and the sirloins you know that anything that gets hit is probably getting hit hard, but normally without too much speed to back it up. Sirloins have some, but nemesis are pretty slow. The wild pigs when I play them seem to go for power swings (for those who don't play the game you can time your swing for more power with reduced contact if you time it right, you can see the batters front foot lift a little when they're trying one) because their contact stat is so high. Combine that with somewhat okay power and normally decent speed and I've found I get beat up a lot when playing them. Getting beat up happens a lot in my games but even more so against the pigs.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Cuveball Sliders posted:

Definitely everything you said and the park has a lot to do with it too. I struggle in parks with a deep center field because most of my power hits go to straightaway center. The flipside of that is when your center fielder has low to middling speed it's so hard to cover such a huge area especially with how finicky fielding can be in this game.

As cheap as it may sound I moved.my moose franchise to the tiger den. The short fence helps as I hit a lot to straightaway center and wanted a park to avoid having a team of warning track power. Sky-high 360ft and 380 ft laser home runs are fun! The small outfield helps keep line drives to no more than doubles against speed teams, and the moose outfield has some monstrous arms.

Looking forward to seeing the next few games. There was some weird frame rate slowdown in the last game, any idea where that came from?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'll watch the video tomorrow but I've noticed that depending on how the lineup is arranged the computer will start RPs and use SPs from the bullpen. I think it pulls from the first 4 pitcher slots for starters regardless of position. In the playoffs I noticed that the computer roster read
SP
SP
SP
RP
SP
RP
So game 4 was an RP starting. Could be a bug with SP/RP and where they get listed?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

That's a comprehensive win for the pigs, ouch. Tough to judge the batting in general when the team gets 3 hit like that.

In lp unrelated posting, I love baseball but sometimes I also hate baseball.

edit: It's happening again. Not shown, the bases are loaded.

Last game of the season, thank goodness I'm already guaranteed at least wild card

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jun 4, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Short answer without having the time to go through every option yet but I think ditching the closer for a cheaper CP if not going to RP as you've mentioned is a priority. The pitching staff is getting exploded and with how many innings the RPs are going to have to eat having a shutdown closer isn't as important as trying to grab another RP that can hang out around 3-4 era if possible. It'll free up some money for offensive investment. Zuri if you're looking for the future, Doyle if it's a push. Possibly both down the line if

I think the game hates evergreen, she's had some terrible statlines in my franchise mode as well. At 35 and $6.7m I think she's got to go, regardless of playoff push or rebuild mode. Baskette has middling stats, middling age and middling cost, is a switch hitter and has LHP boosts so can take over from her. It can be a few more dollars in another position if you replace her with a bargain bin player to free up cash.

Cuveball Sliders posted:

Ewww, well at least you had the wildcard. Who was pitching?

Raul Strikes. Coming into this game he had a very respectable 5.6 ERA. "Respectable" will make sense in a minute.

But it was a massacre everywhere except for Rip Dingers and Horse Cock Stallion Johnson who had one hit combined. Killed a lot of rallies.

Wait until you see my pitching numbers before you judge me for the insane batting statistics. Jacques O'Ften has a normal stat line as I picked him up for playoffs.

Yes, that's one starter below 7 ERA. And she got blown up game 1 of the playoffs. I think I might need to up my batting difficulty and drop my pitching.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ah yeah I was all in on keeping baskette for now, sorry I didn't say that well. I like the moves that are made there, hopefully they pay off as the season goes on and we can make playoffs.

Robert Deadford posted:

I'm also playing this game, learning it as I go having never played a baseball game before. It's fun! And it's fun because all sorts of odd things happen.

I played against the AI earlier today in Season mode (low ego though, don't judge me, this is my learning-to-play run) and slammed a homer down the line with my pitcher. Nice! Next at bat for my pitcher, I manage to time the swing perfectly and muscle the ball into deep straightaway centre field, where the centre fielder leaps ten feet into the air up the wall and pulls it back. I was so stunned I forgot to tag up from third.

A few innings later, another hard line drive is heading to the exact same spot and the exact same centre fielder performs the exact same gravity-defying feat, and helpfully punches the ball over the fence for a homer, complete with Metal Gear alert sound.

I'm enjoying the learning curve, especially having learned to power hit for homers, and will be upping the ego again soon. The devs have done a very nice job of putting the game together and giving the player both simple tools for hitting and pitching along with the risk-reward of the power button. Anyway, that's my story thanks for listening.

The bold part is why I love baseball in general. each team plays 162 games a year (at least) meaning there are 2400+ games for things to happen. Cracking open the rulebook reveals insane edge cases for things you would think are impossible because they've just about all happened. Baseball is great. :allears:
The fact you're power hitting is cool, you'll work your way up the mojo scale. I've played since the first game and have never been able to learn power hitting! The better players online seem to be all over it, and it's definitely the way to go if you can master it.

Cuveball Sliders posted:

I kind of want to see where this goes. Mind posting about your postseason moose run?

Edit: Just noticed Horse Cock Johnson, gave me a chuckle.

Definitely. I'll write something up tomorrow. Highlights from round 2 include my game crashing after a 3 run home run wiping it out in a game that I'm pretty sure I lost by 2 runs, but I'll check when I pick it back up. The mojo I'm at seems to be a bit too easy for batting as I can't hit 4F 96+/ CF2F 93+ but absolutely feast on breaking balls, especially curveballs. I regularly (and in my update you'll see) get blown up on pitching. Always happy for baseball chat in general and to talk about the game. How much detail to you want? I'm up 2-1 in the LCS hoping to make the SM series at the moment.

It's been a lot of fun following along with the LP because I think the difference between playing and watching is very different. You obviously have to look at things very differently in terms of player skill characteristics. Purely simming a season wasn't even an idea that occured to me. How are you finding it compared to playing? Is purely simming something you'd done in smb3 outside of the LP?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Kashe Baskette is my vote for MVP. Just plugging along on a team well below .500

I also ran into the freebooters in my franchise game. oops no it was a couple regular season games. I did say I was going to write that up..

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 9, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I would like to see #20 to see Reed pitch agan and #24 away to the nemesis to watch some taters get mashed

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Does anyone play online? I'm down for some games here or there if people are interested. Mostly on the weekends I reckon as I'm in a bad euro timezone.

edit: This is the worst snipe

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

It's got cross system for pennant race, I imagine for setting up online as well. On PC if you play someone cross system the have the metalhead logo and there's no voice comms.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'm good for head to head with the super mega teams. It's a chance to show off my sunnyvale trailer park team. Still hoping we can copy customisations over, as I'm not a huge fan of the blowfish..

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Good game of baseball, shame to see doyle get hit like that but he needed to come out once the bases got loaded. The bullpen management is a bit weird you're right. I agree that the free agency is good, you actually have to play as your team for a while. Most people wouldn't make moves too quickly, except if they're dumping salary out the gate to build for the future. I saw someone had posted about doing that on reddit where they brought in the absolute minimum salary they could for 5 seasons to build up dev funds. seems a bit abusive! Baskette still kicking rear end, and robbing that home run (it was a two run shot that would've tied the game) was great.

Would've been nice to see verde work the outside with that slider a little more ahead in the count. Low outside sliders against same handed batters induce a lot of swinging third strikes in this game.

Cuveball Sliders posted:

If you mean copy a custom team onto a standard one I don't think that's possible. You can customize standard players and customize aesthetics (logo, uniforms, home field) but you can't change their stats without making it a custom copy of a standard team.

I was actually thinking of changing the Freebooter's uniform design a little going into next season though.

Yeah, I don't want to modify player stats but I did up the blowfish for pennant race, and now I want to switch back to the moose but transfer the visual customization over so I don't have to redo the whole team. Sadly it's not possible at the moment. Jim Lahey needs to be on the mound throwing drunk junk!

Fun with bullpen management: In that moose franchise I had a pitcher take a line drive to the groin and go to rattled but uninjured so I subbed him out. Since mojo recovers so slowly he was still tense for his next start. A different pitcher had the same thing happen, right in the nads, but since I play in the dumbest league and was up by 9 or so I left him in to get his mojo back. He was normal for his next start. Next level pitcher management :smuggo:

Also had my 19 year old prospect pitcher give up a home run in the first inning of his first playoff start. Then went lights out allowing 5 more hits the rest of the game, it was fun and unexpected maddux from a guy who had an 8+ era regular season.

The last 4 games of season 2 (I only play 20 game seasons because playoffs are fun) were wild

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 12, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

At only 3.5 games back and the team playing a little better there's time to see if the gap gets closed a little.

I'm looking forward to the mendoza post. It's a really goofy line in the sand, and references a career bench player who played more than 100 games only twice in 9 years. It's pretty harsh, but I guess as a way to look at the barest minimum you expect from a bench player it's fine. Worth noting that mendoza himself looked to be a below average defensive player as well!

As much as you don't want those role players, you need them..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzpAi2QHA-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Coach: Alright their pitcher's looking pretty good so we want to get him out of the game early if we can. Work the count and tire him out, keep him throwing.

Top of the lineup: Tire him out, got it.
Baskette: Get him out, got it.