Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

If Im understanding correctly if we had free manipulation of the camera it wouild look something like this.

how come the entire structure breaks cleanly when he strikes the soft portion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

In Training posted:

Structural fault pervading the whole brick. Like breaking a popsicle in Two.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

Structural fault pervading the whole brick. Like breaking a popsicle in Two.

Yeah. ANd when Mario is confident he's crazy strong so the whole thing happens in an instant seemingly

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

Yeah. ANd when Mario is confident he's crazy strong so the whole thing happens in an instant seemingly

does the confidence come from the mushrooms? are they some kind of anti anxiety drug?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

does the confidence come from the mushrooms? are they some kind of anti anxiety drug?

Who knows what they do... WE only know the obvious effect (Mario moves closer to the viewer). Anything else is speculative.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

If Im understanding correctly if we had free manipulation of the camera it wouild look something like this.

lmfao

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!
Does this mean all power-ups and enemies are extremely wide? Not sure I can handle this new reality.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Rabid Boar posted:

Does this mean all power-ups and enemies are extremely wide? Not sure I can handle this new reality.

The enemies march in formation... Mario will hit one and the shockwave causes the rest to disperse.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Theres already implied depth of field in Marios death animation so none of this really too hard to intuit for the draftsman gamer.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
so are the mushrooms super wide then too? why does mario move closer to the screen when he eats one? are they bait? if so, who put them there?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Antoine Silvere posted:

so are the mushrooms super wide then too? why does mario move closer to the screen when he eats one? are they bait? if so, who put them there?

If they're a little far away he just reaches and grabs them. Unless you don't think Mario is capable of using his arms?

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

net cafe scandal posted:

If they're a little far away he just reaches and grabs them. Unless you don't think Mario is capable of using his arms?

you tellin me his arms are this long?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Items can only be found in relatively narrow stretches of brick. Otherwise Mario could hit them all day and he would never find anything

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

Items can only be found in relatively narrow stretches of brick. Otherwise Mario could hit them all day and he would never find anything

*bow tie spinning* But enough about Mario Sunshine!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

YThat's also how Mario knows which blocks to hit even though he can only see from them from underneath - if it's a narrower portion its a dead giveaway, and he'll know roughly where, spatially, he should be when the item drops off the top of the platform.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Training posted:

it's aprince Rupert tear. unshatterable on one end but tip the tail and it explotes

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I did the math. Mario is 155cm tall, and if the camera is 1m away from the centre of the action, then when mario is small he runs approximately 1.55m away from the camera. That's about one and half big steps... completely plausible.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

does this mean toad and peach are also retreating into the background in Super Mario Brothers 2? are all of the vegetable crops a whole row of vegetables? what about the level in Mario 3 where he can duck behind the stage and hide? lots of ramifications here

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Arrhythmia posted:

I did the math. Mario is 155cm tall, and if the camera is 1m away from the centre of the action, then when mario is small he runs approximately 1.55m away from the camera. That's about one and half big steps... completely plausible.
Depends on the focal length of the lens.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

American McGay posted:

Depends on the focal length of the lens.

it's 8 bit, unless it's the All Stars adaptation.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

does this mean toad and peach are also retreating into the background in Super Mario Brothers 2? are all of the vegetable crops a whole row of vegetables? what about the level in Mario 3 where he can duck behind the stage and hide? lots of ramifications here

In SMB3, each stage element has two versions, one in the foreground and one in the background with a space between. Small Mario stands on the rear version, big Mario on the front version. When he ducks and falls through, he merely takes a step forward or backward so he is between them

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

SMB2 takes place in Mario's dream state so all rules go out the window. That said it's not hard to believe that vegetables would be planted in rows.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

net cafe scandal posted:

SMB2 takes place in Mario's dream state so all rules go out the window. That said it's not hard to believe that vegetables would be planted in rows.
lmfao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

You can see the brick move when you hit it.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Bro... what happens when you push a Jenga piece with your finger. The whole thing moves. Not just the part that you pushed

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

net cafe scandal posted:

Bro... what happens when you push a Jenga piece with your finger. The whole thing moves. Not just the part that you pushed
Sounds like you're not very good at Jenga :trollface:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I guess thats a bad metaphor lol. :sweatdrop:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Wormskull posted:

hmm... unless i've missed something, it could be a line of separate blocks tethered together through the center, and when mario hits one in the back, athe entire formation ripples forward like a wave

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

That picture contains a Goomba wearing a mustache and a hat. This guy is a loving informant.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

symbolic posted:

hmm... unless i've missed something, it could be a line of separate blocks tethered together through the center, and when mario hits one in the back, athe entire formation ripples forward like a wave

Then why does it immediately ripple.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

When Mario kicks a shell at a brick, where is the shell.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wormskull posted:

That picture contains a Goomba wearing a mustache and a hat. This guy is a loving informant.

Mario: You lose some weight, weej? lookin' good. anyway, got some info to unload here about the structural integrity of these brick columns...

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Wormskull posted:

Then why does it immediately ripple.

i didn't even think about that. back to the drawing board.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Super Mario Bros 3 - Trivia:

Due to a translation error, the name of World 6 in the International Version was noted as 'Giant Land', whereas in the Japanese version it was stated to be ズームインした (zumuin shita) or 'Zoomed-in Land'.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Plebian Parasite posted:

Super Mario Bros 3 - Trivia:

Due to a translation error, the name of World 6 in the International Version was noted as 'Giant Land', whereas in the Japanese version it was stated to be ズームインした (zumuin shita) or 'Zoomed-in Land'.

what the gently caress is this? world 6 is the snow world.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ok so the farther away side of the bricks is actually smaller (and maybe denser, hence it being harder to break)? That would explain why Far-Away Mario (FAM) can run under what we see as a 1-block height whereas Close-Up Mario (CUM) can't fit without ducking.

Martman fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

all of this is reminding me of the horrible parts in Super Paper Mario where you turn the 2D world on its side and I'm going to have you all arrested over it.