Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Bigger Mario theory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
maybe when mario eats a mushroom he stays the same size but everything around him gets smaller. just another possibility to consider.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

little munchkin posted:

maybe when mario eats a mushroom he stays the same size but everything around him gets smaller. just another possibility to consider.

maybe you should read the thread a little closer, this idea is insane

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

little munchkin posted:

SOunds good to me.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Wormskull posted:

This is bordering on Carl Sagan poo poo. If that's the case then Mario is just getting bigger too and the distinction is meaningless. Topic Locked.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

little munchkin posted:

you're unhinged

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
eating the mushroom causes mario to emit toughguy pheremones
these cause the enemies (koopas, et al, also bricks) to lose self confidence
the game, being an abstraction renders this loss of self confidence by making them smaller relative to mario
but then stretches the view to fit properly on your tv
this produces the illusion that only a dumbass would fall for, that mario lmao that mario has gotten bigger XD

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SavageMessiah posted:

eating the mushroom causes mario to emit toughguy pheremones
these cause the enemies (koopas, et al, also bricks) to lose self confidence
the game, being an abstraction renders this loss of self confidence by making them smaller relative to mario
but then stretches the view to fit properly on your tv
this produces the illusion that only a dumbass would fall for, that mario lmao that mario has gotten bigger XD

Joe Rogan: Wow that's pretty incredible.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

People really just gonna say anything in here huh?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
so what happens when he gets the NSMB mega mushroom and starts breaking pipes and stuff just by running into them? You expect me to believe it's just a perspective shift when he's destroying the entire level? *snorts a crushed up adderall off a dirty counter*

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is tiny mushroom Mario his actual original size.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

In Training posted:

Is tiny mushroom Mario his actual original size.
No.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
The fact that Luigi, a twin brother, exists does give at least some credence to the Multiple Mario Theory

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

regardless of whether Mario grows (it's this) or some other phenomenon as it is represented literally within the story, I think we all agree that his shrinking represents castration anxiety. his inability to be "big" represents him being flaccid, impotent. *looks around the room, sees strange glances* I mean, uh... that's what i heard on breadtube, it's not my theory.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

In Training posted:

and per se and
May 17, 2020
I believe it was Einstein who said that reality is nothing more than a shared phenomenon between observer and observation, so I think we should first take a close look at the mental state of anyone playing the game at a given time before we can say anything conclusive re: Mario’s “size change”,

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

hjk posted:

I believe it was Einstein who said that reality is nothing more than a shared phenomenon between observer and observation, so I think we should first take a close look at the mental state of anyone playing the game at a given time before we can say anything conclusive re: Mario’s “size change”,

I think we should take a close look at your mental state first.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

there are four marios

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tales of Woe posted:

there are four marios

Mario, Luigi, Wario and waluigi. Checks out

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Plank Walker posted:

the visual representation of Mario is reflective of Mario's perception of self, and is untethered from his actual physical characteristics. eating the mushroom gives Mario increased confidence and self-esteem, he views himself as larger. with this increased confidence, he can take an extra hit from an enemy and break bricks (in actuality, "small" Mario could also break bricks physically, but since he does not believe that he can, it is impossible for him).

as to not being able to fit in small spaces, "large" mario (note also that he is canonically referred to as "super", not "large" Mario) has an overabundance of confidence, and with it, a deep claustrophobia when confined to small spaces. much like "small" Mario's constitutional incapability to break bricks, "super" Mario will not allow himself to be squeezed into a confined space

I really doubt that.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Wormskull posted:

I really doubt that.

lmfao

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wormskull posted:

I really doubt that.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fungah!