Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah, I know Slay the Spire is extremely popular but it never managed to grab me as much as this game has. Meanwhile, each clan in MT has a bunch of stuff they can build towards and having the extra layer of the train levels and the modifiable units is just amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I had to uninstall Monster Train cause I kept playing it and it was killing my ability to play other things.

If they ever come out with another DLC or let me use more than 3 perks in a game then god help me.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This thread seems a bit dead, but I've been playing this game a lot lately. I think overall I like it better than Slay the Spire, at the very least I find myself more motivated to climb higher and higher in the covenant ranks. I'm up to rank 22 so far and I can certainly see myself making it to the end. Haven't even started fooling with the divinity stuff yet, though I did grab the DLC for the last clan.

I was wondering though if anyone can give me tips for a pure Imperialist or Direchannel run? Those are the only two champion upgrades I've never even managed to get to the third stage of - they just seem so bad. I know there's not really any reason to stubbornly stick with them but I wanted to get them all filled in and see how they play at the end.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm trying to get the golden frame for all cards and the only one I'm missing is third card from the cavern event where you pick a sword, shield or skull. I just can't seem to luck into it. :negative:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Regy Rusty posted:

This thread seems a bit dead, but I've been playing this game a lot lately. I think overall I like it better than Slay the Spire, at the very least I find myself more motivated to climb higher and higher in the covenant ranks. I'm up to rank 22 so far and I can certainly see myself making it to the end. Haven't even started fooling with the divinity stuff yet, though I did grab the DLC for the last clan.

I was wondering though if anyone can give me tips for a pure Imperialist or Direchannel run? Those are the only two champion upgrades I've never even managed to get to the third stage of - they just seem so bad. I know there's not really any reason to stubbornly stick with them but I wanted to get them all filled in and see how they play at the end.

The third Direchannel upgrade pretty much requires the double incant artifact, IMO. It's too slow otherwise. The bad thing about that is that it doesn't scale with incants, it's either on or off, so it also kind of wastes the artifact's potential compared to other upgrades of the same champion. If you do get that artifact, just use your champion as your blocking unit and put either a multiattack siren or a quick sweeper behind it, then concentrate on buffing up your attacker. Double incant is usually a pretty easy win even against the Divinity.

Imperialist wants Endless Imps (especially welding or fledgling imps, and of course Transcendimp, but NOT NOT NOT Apex Imp--she'll throw him too). She prefers having an artifact that either makes the imps free or gives you energy for playing one, but aside from Transcendimp you'll do fine without. She's not especially bulky, so you want to pair her with either welder imps to toughen her up or a good Quick attacker and fledgling imps to clear the wave before they can kill her. Consider grabbing defensive spells like Alloy of the Ancients, March of Shields, and Tiresome Climb and buffing them up. If you see an Inferno, grab it and reduce its cost, it's incredible at mauling dangerous waves before they can overrun you.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Zurai posted:

Imperialist wants Endless Imps (especially welding or fledgling imps, and of course Transcendimp, but NOT NOT NOT Apex Imp--she'll throw him too).

That's a lol

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zurai posted:

The third Direchannel upgrade pretty much requires the double incant artifact, IMO. It's too slow otherwise. The bad thing about that is that it doesn't scale with incants, it's either on or off, so it also kind of wastes the artifact's potential compared to other upgrades of the same champion. If you do get that artifact, just use your champion as your blocking unit and put either a multiattack siren or a quick sweeper behind it, then concentrate on buffing up your attacker. Double incant is usually a pretty easy win even against the Divinity.

Imperialist wants Endless Imps (especially welding or fledgling imps, and of course Transcendimp, but NOT NOT NOT Apex Imp--she'll throw him too). She prefers having an artifact that either makes the imps free or gives you energy for playing one, but aside from Transcendimp you'll do fine without. She's not especially bulky, so you want to pair her with either welder imps to toughen her up or a good Quick attacker and fledgling imps to clear the wave before they can kill her. Consider grabbing defensive spells like Alloy of the Ancients, March of Shields, and Tiresome Climb and buffing them up. If you see an Inferno, grab it and reduce its cost, it's incredible at mauling dangerous waves before they can overrun you.

That's awesome thanks! Hopefully that'll do the trick.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

That's awesome thanks! Hopefully that'll do the trick.

Another tip for anytime you play Abyssals: if you see a frostbite shark, strongly consider grabbing it and getting an Endless and some extra health on it. It's very good at being your gatekeeper on the bottom floor, wiping out nasty backline enemies before they reach your main killing floor.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zurai posted:

Another tip for anytime you play Abyssals: if you see a frostbite shark, strongly consider grabbing it and getting an Endless and some extra health on it. It's very good at being your gatekeeper on the bottom floor, wiping out nasty backline enemies before they reach your main killing floor.

Oh for sure I love that guy.

I think my favorite champion is Little Fade, every run I've had with her just ends up being hilarious

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There is only one strat I know I can take way high on the covenant track without a thought and it's getting Little Fade killed over and over again and having her alpha strike everything.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Little Fade actually has two builds that can pretty much solo the game, she's easily the strongest champion. Both the Slay and Quick+Extinguish tracks can do it.

That said, my favorite champion is Enchant Quick Wyldenten. So good, makes so many risky builds infinitely less risky.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's funny how your perspective can change, I used to think Penumbra was the best for just being a frontline beast but he's really best used as a secondary damage dealer with Architect, and my favorite to use is Hornbreaker Prince (though he can be a bit RNG-y needing Wrathful to really shine). Corrupter Spine Chief with basically any small unit is fantastic too.

Primordius or Little Fade is probably the strongest overall.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What do you need to do with Primordius to make them amazing? I've done fine with them but I didn't think they were top tier.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I'm not an expert on Primordius, but I know the line that carries over status effects (superfood?) is pretty great. Status effects include things like armor, multistrike, trample, etc etc in addition to barriers and rage. It's very weak in the early game, though, so you need something good in the first ring or two to carry you through the first boss.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Man I made it right up to Seraph with Direchannel but couldn't quite pull off the win. I ended up dipping into the whole shard mechanic and fused a siren into a shard soul carver with multistrike, creating a nigh unstoppable monster with insane attack and armor. But alas it wasn't enough to withstand the sheer number of enemies in the last level.

Anyway I achieved my goal of getting it filled in even without the win so I think I'll leave it at that. Direchannel just isn't great. On to imperialist.

E: Lmao got right up to the final floor and stumbled. I had a strong sweeper but never managed to make 'em quick so they finally overwhelmed me.

Well thanks again for the tips, now I'm free to work on the last few covenants and team combos in my own way.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 29, 2021

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Covenant 25 Seraph is so hard. All that health... :negative:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yesss I did it. Killed 25 Seraph with a 1794 damage Reap. :shepface:

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
They weren't kidding that the dlc makes it harder to get a win. I think I've played two almost interrupted 8 hour sessions since buying it.
games good.

Going randoms on covanant 1 to get more cards now that I have all factions. Can't get past cov 2 yet.

The 2nd win I had was those clockwork spiders fuzed with a drat train guard and mega rage buffed.

I wish sweep, quick and multistrike dropped more to deal with inflated dlc healths

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

finally got on to playing this game after installing it about four months ago and have just dropped several hours into it at once

game good. bit disappointed that the thread title isn't Play the Pyre though

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Beat the divinity with quick Wyledenten, two multistrike Coldcaelia infused with Titan Sentries, three more endless Titan Sentries, oh and double frostbite that doesn't decay from the relic.

I thought I was gonna cry when the boss got to purge my frostbite after every turn but we pulled through in the end.

Not sure where I wanna go from here, I probably do wanna clear something with the last two team combos (Hellhorned/Stygian and Stygian/Wurmkin) but I don't think I really wanna try to take the divinity to max covenant. Maybe I'll take a break after those two wins.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 31, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Divine Victory with every card :devil:

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I got my third win with 2nd wax champ and wuladenten

Max crystals every floor tons of good relics from wax boosted gold and suicide units and res to make stronger a ton.

I spaced out on shards and lacked 10 for a divine win :(

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I just unlocked umbra and completely broke the game, literally.

All I did was merge morselmaster and morselmaker, duplicate the resulting card, then play both copies on the same floor

It turns out trying to spawn 16 morsels at the same time makes the game lock up

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i really wish Fel would shut the gently caress up occasionally

OOOOHHHAHHHHH

UHHHHHHHHHH

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Any word on another expansion or sequel?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I found this game extremely late, like just a month ago, because of Game Pass, and by god I'm hooked. I've hit Covenant 16 after a wall at Covenant 13 that I broke through by finding out that endless transcendent imps owns actually. Any chump can be a boss killer if you stack 100s of rage and armor I guess!

Is the DLC worth getting before I get to Covenant 25?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The DLC is great, IMO. It really adds a ton of variety to the game.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Definitely. It's the kind of dlc you want to play after you've gotten a feel for the base game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm finally playing the dlc with some regularity (gamepass version was lacking it) and it's good. How did I get along without Apex Imps?

3748 damage :eyepop:
(Also if anything survived that the apex imp would do 1600 damage)

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu0IHREyljc

Trailer for upcoming new game by the Monster Train devs.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Dig the look. Need to see more the gameplay though.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
MT hooked me bad, cant wait to see what this one's all about

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Looks pretty sweet. Maybe a cross between Hades and ???

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Looks pretty sweet. Maybe a cross between Hades and ???

From the description and gameplay, it's not Hades at all. It's a turn-based tactics game.

Too bad it doesn't seem to be Monster Train-related. The game's setting is interesting and criminally underused.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Zurai posted:

i did this, got it soul'd and boosted, and cloned it twice. was laffo until the Divinity fight where it just... didn't work out so well. Was doing decent-ish damage to Divinity, but pyre got killed by the big hammer "boss" since my whole boss killing strategy was "endless frostbite tethys + frostbite sharks + 1-cost frostbite doubling spell = :lol:"

doesn't work so well when they pop up a level every time and don't have any root/descend cards :P

sorry-not-sorry about the necropost - this game is amazing. i'd been putting off dipping into it since release despite ~300hrs on slay the spire (not counting the MANY hours on it after it got an android release). 0% surprised i'm loving it intensely, but didn't expect to fall in love with the writing/world building.

like, my god i just want to know *more* about what's going on with the whole world. there's even character tension between Fel/Herzal/etc! just totally besotted with this game right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Dr_Gee posted:

i did this, got it soul'd and boosted, and cloned it twice. was laffo until the Divinity fight where it just... didn't work out so well. Was doing decent-ish damage to Divinity, but pyre got killed by the big hammer "boss" since my whole boss killing strategy was "endless frostbite tethys + frostbite sharks + 1-cost frostbite doubling spell = :lol:"

Yeah, Frostbite isn't the best against the Divinity because 1) he wipes all of his Frostbite stacks at the end of each round, and 2) all of the big enemies have hundreds of health. You do need something capable of killing a ~600 HP miniboss if you aren't just annihilating the Divinity itself before they spawn.