Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I still think the dumbest win I've had so far was my only Hellhorned primary win where I did the duplicate 5 on the armor granting Imp after I got a copy of that Imp that replicates every other on entrance effect when its summoned.

It let me pump up a stupid amount of armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Good Card

e: the trick was getting them to die somehow

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zore posted:

I still think the dumbest win I've had so far was my only Hellhorned primary win where I did the duplicate 5 on the armor granting Imp after I got a copy of that Imp that replicates every other on entrance effect when its summoned.

It let me pump up a stupid amount of armor.

Transcendimp is just silly, period. Imagine getting it with a couple of Hollows and the Awoken spell that swaps attack and HP. You can one-shot bosses with the little fucker.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I've been avoiding the armor giving imp, because it seems kind of useless. It gives armor to the front unit, so you can either pop it in front and have it armor itself, or put it in the back to armor something else, but after that it just sits in the back row taking up space and not doing anything useful.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

That's what the sacrificing cards are for :devil:

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Just got my first win with Hellhorned/Awoken imp build. I got Imp-cicle and Ashes of the Fallen artifacts and 6 copies of imp-olate doing up to 150 damage. So imps seem extremely good if you get lucky with a few things. Also at the end Railbeater was key for letting my champion hit the back enemies and build the slay modifier.

Womyn Capote fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 27, 2020

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Coucho Marx posted:

Funny you mention that...

Started with the 'summon four random units from your deck' artifact, got one of these guys Multistrike, then hit the copy 5 cavern event, the first time I've actually used the copy five choice! I have both Ascend and Restoring Retreat, so I look forward to the eventual Sentient in front of six demons setup.

edit: of course I could never get Sentient to the front, but it never mattered anyway. Seraph (buff-removing variant) got through only one demon before he bit it.

Yeah this is a fun idea although I did it by hand rather than getting lucky with the event. They got horrifically debuffed with sap but I had some bonus super powered spikes to make up for it

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
With the Incant trait ( Buff to whatever when a spell is cast on the floor ) you can use spells that only target the front enemy ( Ice lance for example ) on a empty floor. So you can use it to trigger the buff on your units without needing a target and have a obscenely strong unit sitting on the third floor to smash the boss into a fine paste. :ssh:

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

BobTheJanitor posted:

I've been avoiding the armor giving imp, because it seems kind of useless. It gives armor to the front unit, so you can either pop it in front and have it armor itself, or put it in the back to armor something else, but after that it just sits in the back row taking up space and not doing anything useful.

Ah man armor imp is my favorite followed by rage. I think scholar could be really good but haven't had an opportunity to set up anfull combo. As mentioned sacrifice spells have pretty strong effects but I think require some kind of unit recursion to be truly worthwhile. An imp with endless and sacrifice spell with holdover means I have effectively a 1 cost grant 15 armor + do 50 damage spell every turn.

I had a great run where I was able to give one armor imp burnout and endless upgrades. Every turn you could slap one down, it would die to burnout but endless means it goes back to your deck instead of clogging up your reform stack and it never increments its 1 turn burnout timer. Even without any other combo cards 15 armor for 1 is a good deal and when it gets close to the boss encounter just put something else down in his place.

Sometimes I wish there were more general sacrifice spells because I have a great unit in hand I can't fit to the board and no way to clear space. Although I guess that's what ascend/descend is for.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 27, 2020

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Walh Hara posted:

My main problem with Hellhorned (and stygian) is that they have no good way to tank or mitigate damage. Some units have decent starting health/armor, but lategame that's never enough and you need some sort of heal/lifesteal/revive/damage shield/stealth/quick if you want to keep your big unit alive and healthy until the boss shows up. The armor spells don't scale and are generally not that strong. Your best bet is getting an endless imp but that uses up an unit slot, a card draw and 1 energy every single turn. Stygian kan try to mitigate by first killing things with spells and the armor on incant unit can help a little bit.

I mean, it depends what Imp you make Endless. If you use the + 4 energy one you're still at +3 net energy. Or with any type if you can sacrifice it you have +1 net and another card, or if you can't sac it it can still take a hit for you. I like an Endless/Spikes rage Imp though, +3 rage to everyone on the floor, every turn, scales up really well. Even more so if your units have multistrike/sweep etc. And then you put Quick on a unit or two and you mitigate damage by killing everything before they can hit you :black101:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

My disappointment in the armor imp is probably due to me never managing to get a good imp deck together. The mana imp or the rage imp can be useful in any kind of deck, since they don't require anything but themselves to get the full effect. I've tried to get imp decks together before, but the game just refuses to give me the cards to make it work.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Game owns. Coming from slay the spire, I'm having a little trouble evaluating how to thin my deck. I just unlocked umbra. Typically I've been removing spells unless I have enough summons to start removing the base guys.

Also any advice on clan synergies? I've just been using the next one over for each run.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Getting multiple curse (blight?) deals seems pretty good. I picked up the one that gives you 1 cost cards that deal 1 damage to the pyre if not played, but gives you permanent +energy per turn for having curses. Then I grabbed the otherwise lovely deal what gives you 3 cost purge cards and an artifact that deals 100 damage to the front enemy unit when you play a curse.

That aint so great with 3 cost, unupgradable cards that purge on use, but it's loving amazing when it applies to 1 cost cards that do not purge that you were probably going to play anyways, on top of the extra energy I was getting every turn for having all of these in my deck.

Also just finished a weird Stygian/Umbra run where I had basically no worthwhile units at all. They were completely superfluous to my strategy, dealing next to no damage and dying instantly. Relied entirely on damage spells. I had the artifact that made spells free if you played a higher cost one that turn and I put holdover on a 3 cost spell to enable it. Then I shoved holdover on a 2 cost spell and copied it a few times, so bare minimum I was able to play all of those every turn in addition to whatever other damage spells and spell weakness cards I had. One of the rare runs where draw was the most important thing to have. Ended up cutting it pretty close and definitely would have eaten poo poo if I didn't get the artifact that applies spell weakness 2 to anything on floor 3, but it worked out.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 27, 2020

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm having a ball being bad at this game, and I haven't even started climbing the ascension ladder or whatever it's called in this one. For the candle champion, is there any reason to pick an upgrade other than the one that reforms random units? The one that gives him burnout 3 seems especially worthless.

e: Burnout 3 was a really fun PS2 game though

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The burnout 3 one has insane starting stats, so if you have any other way to reform he quickly becomes a monster frontline unit. You can also focus on cards that increase his burnout count, this can work well if your secondary faction is Umbra or Awoken as they can keep him alive really well.

The game changes a TON at "ascension" 1, as it adds 5 random cards to your starting deck, and these can do a lot to determine the strategy you aim for. I'd usually pick the random reform option on the Melting champion, but if my starting deck had two copies of the reform a specific unit card I'd think about the burnout one. Upgrade a copy to 0 mana and holdover and you can reform the exact unit you want each turn.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ragnar34 posted:

I'm having a ball being bad at this game, and I haven't even started climbing the ascension ladder or whatever it's called in this one. For the candle champion, is there any reason to pick an upgrade other than the one that reforms random units? The one that gives him burnout 3 seems especially worthless.

e: Burnout 3 was a really fun PS2 game though

Yeah, reform doesn't play super well if you have Umbra as your second clan as you'll mostly be reforming Morsels. It also makes him pretty wimpy in combat, and Waxers struggle a little bit with bosses.

Giving him the Burnout upgrades makes him an absolute stat monster and there are a host of cards and relics that increase burnout. Plus remember you get stat bonuses each time you reform and the Candles have a lot of cards that let you reform units to make them even stronger (plus each time you do automatically adds +1 to burnout).

But Ascension 1+ change the game a lot by giving you way more starting cards which means you can start building combos from the first fight instead of being stuck with the same deck every time.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Gyshall posted:

Game owns. Coming from slay the spire, I'm having a little trouble evaluating how to thin my deck. I just unlocked umbra. Typically I've been removing spells unless I have enough summons to start removing the base guys.

Also any advice on clan synergies? I've just been using the next one over for each run.

I'm the same on the deck thinning. So far it hasn't seemed as important as StS though. I tend to take almost all the cards on offer and still do okay, but then again I haven't pushed the difficulty levels much, and instead have been focusing on unlocking all the clans and cards. Usually I will just use the card removal spots to kick out a few train stewards, unless I've come across that relic that gives them multistrike. Sometimes I'll also peel off the default spells, depending on the clan. Like the 2 damage fireball spell that hellhorned start with isn't worth holding on to in the later game, outside of specific builds.

For synergies, again it can depend a lot on what cards you end up with. In general, though, awoken and stygian seem pretty good, giving you damage and healing spells and lots of ways to buff them. Umbra and remnant are great together, but if you just unlocked umbra then you may still have to grind more kills before remnant is available. I'm still mostly at the experimenting to see what's good phase, though, even after I've put several dozen hours into the game between their open beta and the release.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
It gets harder and harder to thin your deck the higher your covenant level gets, compared to baseline I have 9 extra cards in my deck before the curses, and I wouldn't be surprised if covenant 20+ adds even more.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, I tend to have about 30 card decks on my wins because focusing hugely on just thinning my deck was causing me to miss a lot of the better paths through the game and miss artifacts etc.

Also in general you want a little bit of wiggle room with some extra cards just so the bosses that add curses and effects don't gently caress up every single hand when you fight them. Also so that you can take some of the early challenges to get bonus gold/card rewards.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

definitely preferred slay the spire’s way of giving you ascension bonuses, picking from the whale guy in the beginning. random cards just trigger me into removing them

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Thorned Hollows are OP

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Traxis posted:

Thorned Hollows are OP

Just wait until you stack the 'Thorns do +1 damage per stack' relic and the minion with that effect.

I had one that was doing like 240 damage every time it was hit. It was hilarious and melted Seraph.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

This game is awesome and I think I'm enjoying it even more than StS at the moment. Just hope they add some more monster variety and continue to add factions to the game.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

One thing I particularly like about this game is that I can randomise both clans. Which I now always do.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
Just made it to ascension 14, unlocked all the cards except what are presumably the 2nd/3rd forms of the legion of wax and some neutrals.

I have had the most success with the stygian and with a little know-how they are fairly tanky. For general purposes the titan sentry with health and endless makes for a brutal disposable tank. If you get the double incant artifact you can do some very messed up things, even winning the game with a sap based build and the sap totem.

Hellhorned has the most problems IMO as the champion requires some very specific builds to work. The armour on slay works with spikes and can produce hilarious results if you are hellhorned/awoken, but that is an awfully niche use. Multistrike is ok, but he isn't much better than an animus of will under ideal circumstances and much worse under regular circumstances after card upgrades. The attack on slay is nice but fragile and quickly gets outshined by other units. My last hellhorned run was hellhorned/umbra, and I quickly transitioned to focusing on an overgorger given the chance - the run was strong, but the champion was fodder.

I've never used the umbra architect champion as I'm not quite sure what to do with it - set up a feeding floor in which the champion is in the middle? I often run into the 7 unit limitation so it doesn't seem wise to put a unit in just for the capacity.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Smiling Demon posted:

Just made it to ascension 14, unlocked all the cards except what are presumably the 2nd/3rd forms of the legion of wax and some neutrals.

I have had the most success with the stygian and with a little know-how they are fairly tanky. For general purposes the titan sentry with health and endless makes for a brutal disposable tank. If you get the double incant artifact you can do some very messed up things, even winning the game with a sap based build and the sap totem.

Hellhorned has the most problems IMO as the champion requires some very specific builds to work. The armour on slay works with spikes and can produce hilarious results if you are hellhorned/awoken, but that is an awfully niche use. Multistrike is ok, but he isn't much better than an animus of will under ideal circumstances and much worse under regular circumstances after card upgrades. The attack on slay is nice but fragile and quickly gets outshined by other units. My last hellhorned run was hellhorned/umbra, and I quickly transitioned to focusing on an overgorger given the chance - the run was strong, but the champion was fodder.

I've never used the umbra architect champion as I'm not quite sure what to do with it - set up a feeding floor in which the champion is in the middle? I often run into the 7 unit limitation so it doesn't seem wise to put a unit in just for the capacity.

The most luck I've had with the Umbra champion is his Gorge abilities and maybe adding Trample in. He can scale absurdly fast.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The most luck I've had with the Umbra champion is his Gorge abilities and maybe adding Trample in. He can scale absurdly fast.

Not fast enough, evidently. I'm trying that on C4 and getting loving annihilated by Fel every time. And it's not just me - streamer Baalorlord is up to C13 and has never won with Umbra as his main clan. The people bigging it up as busted had best start explaining what they're doing.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Jedit posted:

Not fast enough, evidently. I'm trying that on C4 and getting loving annihilated by Fel every time. And it's not just me - streamer Baalorlord is up to C13 and has never won with Umbra as his main clan. The people bigging it up as busted had best start explaining what they're doing.

Him in front with a morsel master and morsel maker, he gets 4 guaranteed morsels a turn. He also gets +6 attack and +6 hp from the morsel's bonus on top of his own bonus for eating.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Jedit posted:

I have a covenant 8 win, it was something like:
- bottom floor: awoken unit with sweep+quick with a tank in front (I don't remember which)
- middle floor: umbra champion with trample III
- top floor: lifesteal on gorge unit (with +size enhancement) with morselmaker
Key spells: 2 copies of the umbra spell that gives lifesteal
Key artifacts: most importantly the item that gives +3 energy if you play 2 minions

So I had the bottom floor clear out squishy back liners, middle floor is just big damage from turn 1 that I gave lifesteal every once in a while and top floor was just preparing for the boss.

Meanwhile I'm getting my rear end kicked by covenant 12. I retried my last run twice now to see if there's something I could have done differently and now I think it's winnable (last try Fell had only 100 hp left) but it's just tough.

I think I might have to stop randoming my clans in order to climb further.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I had a run with the sea guys where I was stacking Frostbite. I couldn't get much healing in my deck (well, any healing, really) but I did get some +armor spells, so my guys could still die. But before they did... well, let's just say that a guy who hits all enemies, has multistrike two and does 38 Frostbite with each attack is pretty powerful.

Some of the bosses didn't even live long enough for the final assault to begin, they died of Frostbite long before then. Welcome to Finnish winter, motherfuckers.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

too bad frostbite caps at 999, could’ve gone much higher on my last win

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Does this game feel kinda 'samey' to anyone else? I've played through 4 runs and I've won them all by putting two runes on a beefy monster, duplicating it, and running straight buffs from then on.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Blorange posted:

Does this game feel kinda 'samey' to anyone else? I've played through 4 runs and I've won them all by putting two runes on a beefy monster, duplicating it, and running straight buffs from then on.

that’s probably the strongest way to win, but other strategies can work. artifacts also change things a lot, grab more of those if you’re bored

where do y’all put the stygian champ? second row? i like him with magic amp and can’t decide if first or second is best. i’m not certain on vertical positioning at all really.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Blorange posted:

Personally I don't have that feeling, but I would certainly recommend on climbing the covenant ladder. In Slay the Spire I kept playing ascension 1 even though I had much higher unlocked, but here I never play anything below 10. You end up with much more interesting decisions.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

where do y’all put the stygian champ? second row? i like him with magic amp and can’t decide if first or second is best. i’m not certain on vertical positioning at all really.

If I go frostbite then always bottom floor so that the frosbite has two more turns to tick. If I'd go pure magic amp I'd probably still go bottom to kill the squishy hard hitting backliners as soon as possible, but I never have.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

a fatguy baldspot posted:

that’s probably the strongest way to win, but other strategies can work. artifacts also change things a lot, grab more of those if you’re bored

I tend to stick him on the bottom and usually go for a combo of the Sweep+Magic resist down and Frostbite. Sweep is just too good to pass up for inflicting statuses on those low HP assholes in the back/Dadelus/Fel/Seraph, but I find Frostbite overall more useful. Plus not going pure Frostbite keeps him out of instant KO range from the sweep enemies.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Blorange posted:

I think the lack of enemy / boss variety plays into this. Wish there was more visual difference, and less pallet swaps.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Spell only Stygian is pretty OP. The only unit I used besides my champ was a Horned Warrior with a Largestone and + Health, and the only damage it took on Seraph was from me casting Branding Rite on it a few times. A Volatile Gauge, 2x Ice Tornado with holdover, and 2x Urchin Spines with doublestack and consume removed is pretty drat strong.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Had this pretty awesome rage run with a few buffed Deranged Brutes, endless fledgeling imps, and the rage and double summon artifacts. One hit the final boss.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

gently caress the stealth boss. No further comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
That boss requires planning the entire fight around him on some runs, it's just so many drat turns of stealth.