Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The precisely one thing I dislike about the DLC is that the Divinity (the "true final boss") auto-wipes certain debuffs, namely reap and frostbite, at the end of every turn. I can understand that the nature of the boss (he's present on every floor, so you can always attack him) made stacking those a little too powerful on him, but there are better solutions than just making him more or less immune to them. If he pulled a Seraph and halved the stacks every turn, it'd be a lot more palatable. It's especially questionable because he does not cleanse Sap stacks, which is one way to trivialize him with Abyssal cards. I've had wins against the Divinity where he had like 40 stacks of Sap when I killed him.

Anyway, aside from grumbling about one optional boss making two very specific strategies mostly unviable, I love the DLC. It adds a ton of run variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Acerbatus posted:

not quite 40k but I played it kinda fast and loose with seraph.

My point to Tokyo Sex Whale was that they claimed 40k was possible while advocating for things that completely couldn't work with that seed. So my point was like, "lol, you go try and do all those things you just typed while getting 40k. I'll wait." I'm happy for you that, with omniscience, you found a way to get close to 40k, but you clearly misunderstood the point I was making. I wasn't saying 40k wasn't possible. I was saying 40k wasn't possible with that advice.

Acerbatus posted:

I'm pretty sure that a significant majority of Cov25 runs are winnable, you just... Need to have a better idea of how things work which seems fine? :shrug:

This isn't true because it's just not how the game is balanced. The game is balanced such that covenant 25 is slightly difficult with even the best clan combinations. For those clan combinations a majority of runs are winnable. However, this naturally leads to the situation where certain bottom tier clan combos have a much harder time to the point where most runs are not winnable for those clan combinations.

Acerbatus posted:

If you have examples, I do love a challenge.

I mean, please prove me wrong. Go do 10 Hellhorned/Umbra allied runs and show me you won 6 of them.

Acerbatus posted:

Geeze, and you're calling him hostile? Relax.

I didn't call them hostile. I called them a smug condescending jackass, and they got a hostile response in return. That's what happens when you're smug and condescending to people.

You, on the other hand, are far less of a condescending jackass and so my response to you was less hostile. Interesting how that works!

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

ErIog posted:

This isn't true because it's just not how the game is balanced. The game is balanced such that covenant 25 is slightly difficult with even the best clan combinations. For those clan combinations a majority of runs are winnable. However, this naturally leads to the situation where certain bottom tier clan combos have a much harder time to the point where most runs are not winnable for those clan combinations.

I mean, please prove me wrong. Go do 10 Hellhorned/Umbra allied runs and show me you won 6 of them.

As previously mentioned, RisingDusk has done a several hundred run random clan combo win streak on Cov 25 pre-Divinity, and he does an entire Youtube series where he will take any seed you give him no matter how bad and try to play through a Divinity kill without any prior knowledge. I don't watch his channel myself, but know him as a guest on other videos and he's a beta tester/modder on the game and probably the best overall player.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

ErIog posted:

I didn't call them hostile. I called them a smug condescending jackass, and they got a hostile response in return. That's what happens when you're smug and condescending to people.

You, on the other hand, are far less of a condescending jackass and so my response to you was less hostile. Interesting how that works!

I think the point is that on the internet intent can be difficult to imply and infer. It's also possible Tokyo Sex Whale had no intention of being smug and accidently came across as such or that you've misread smugness that didn't exist. Generally, assuming good faith makes for more pleasant interactions both online and off, and even if you do have strong evidence that someone is acting in bad faith calling it out in such a fashion come across poorly.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ErIog posted:

If you ever have a block of time to watch a livestream I'd be down for it, since just posting screenshots of 6 hellhorned/umbra wins wouldn't mean much.

I'd even put :10bux: on it with an av cert.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Ultima66 posted:

As previously mentioned, RisingDusk has done a several hundred run random clan combo win streak on Cov 25 pre-Divinity, and he does an entire Youtube series where he will take any seed you give him no matter how bad and try to play through a Divinity kill without any prior knowledge. I don't watch his channel myself, but know him as a guest on other videos and he's a beta tester/modder on the game and probably the best overall player.

hey thanks for posting this, RisingDusk was my clan leader in Warcraft III over a decade ago and I had no idea what he was up to these days. For anyone who played WCIII, he's also the creator of Advent of the Zenith and Desert of Exile. The more you know!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Small hill or whatever but I feel pretty accomplished clearing covenant 10, streaking on my covenant 9 clear no less.

Turns out applying 20 stealth every unit on the train is a very effective strategy. Could have gone much differently if I fought the anti-buff Seraph.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hito posted:

hey thanks for posting this, RisingDusk was my clan leader in Warcraft III over a decade ago and I had no idea what he was up to these days. For anyone who played WCIII, he's also the creator of Advent of the Zenith and Desert of Exile. The more you know!

oh poo poo is it that RisingDusk? I hung out in the clan chat cause one of my friends was in that. Small internet.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

First Class is out on Switch and I picked it up so I'm climbing the covenant ladder from scratch again. Funny story, I won the tutorial run the game throws you into when you start it up with a gross rage/multistrike combo with the Hellhorned champion and a Demon Fiend. Despite being ostensibly covenant 0 and counted as such, all the bosses had covenant 1 HP. Didn't stop me though, and in fact this was one of my better Hellhorned/Awoken games.

Some thoughts on the port, docked: title loading took like 20 seconds and it had me worried but loading within the run was fast. Seems to run at 30 fps or so and I didn't notice any slowdown. Controls are ok and obviously not as fast as a mouse but they are fine. I accidentally ended my turn before I did anything once and it almost ended disastrously.

Edit: Did a run handheld, played about the same.
Double edit: They seemed to sacrifice some of the lore which I dislike.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 20, 2021

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Oh hell yeah I forgot that was coming out. Already have it on PC buuuuut I think I'm getting it again.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I double dipped because this game was made for the couch.

Handheld is doing pretty well, a little bit of slowdown but no more than STS. Controls are decent. I'm disappointed by the lack of touchscreen support tho

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

SettingSun posted:

Edit: Did a run handheld, played about the same.
Double edit: They seemed to sacrifice some of the lore which I dislike.

What lore am I missing out on with the Switch version?

Also, I won my first run after the Tutorial with a Cultivating hero that buffed the heck outta a sweeper I gave multistrike, so that felt great.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It’s just a few little things. Like the blurbs about the the clans on the run departure screen, and there doesn’t appear to be a way to see the enemy lore.

Definitely not a huge con, but I do feel its absence.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
If you beat the seraph but lose to the last divinity does the game still give you a covenant unlock? I'm hoping it's like sts in that regard where you can lose to the heart and still make progress.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

Starsnostars posted:

If you beat the seraph but lose to the last divinity does the game still give you a covenant unlock? I'm hoping it's like sts in that regard where you can lose to the heart and still make progress.

I do not believe so :/
I do see the argument why, because by getting the benefits of 100 shards you're stronger than you'd otherwise be. Meanwhile in STS you're just penalizing yourself by going after the heart.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

How am I supposed to make this Martyr Stygian champion work? They seem absolutely terrible. The damage per stack happens when they would normally attack, so it's really just a different way to show their attack strength, and frost on revenge seems bad on something with no health.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Seedge posted:

How am I supposed to make this Martyr Stygian champion work? They seem absolutely terrible. The damage per stack happens when they would normally attack, so it's really just a different way to show their attack strength, and frost on revenge seems bad on something with no health.

Titanchannel is the "good" one but it can be really hard to take it online. Direchannel is just kind of meh, and Coldchannel gets hosed by Divinity purging frostbite but up until Divinity it's not bad.

Realistically he's only decent by virtue of the alternative Stygian champ being the worst champion in the game by far. In a vacuum Titanchannel is quite good if you have the right deck and the other two paths are meh.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Seedge posted:

My best run with the Sygian Guard in general was with Solgard and the Titanchannel trait (gain enough shards and leave phased as a super beefy unit). It was an incant heavy run with the artifact that makes incant proc twice (recall that gaining shards is an incant trigger).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Seedge posted:

The direct damage one scales pretty fast and avoids thorns, sap, and (iirc) stealth. The frostbite one gets a decent health pool for normal play but can't stand up to shard-boosted backliners, and Divinity wipes the frostbite, so, yeah, dumpster tier. Phased gets huge, but can be difficult to bring online in time for the first wave or two by the end of the game.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The phased one also just feels too weak to put out the damage needed for TLD waves for the space he takes up too. I just don't like him.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

GodFish posted:

The phased one also just feels too weak to put out the damage needed for TLD waves for the space he takes up too. I just don't like him.

Phased Solgard is like 210/210 and two spaces, how is he too weak? I believe that he's both the tankiest and hardest-hitting champion in the game period, let alone for his space. The Gorge version of Penumbra can get bigger if well-fed, but that takes way more time, plus he's 3 spaces.

Anyway, Abyssals are more than strong enough for you to just stick Solgard off in a corner and never unphase him if you want. He'll even distract Seraph while phased out.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
He's good but the single hit/no trample really holds him back compared to the units you can get going with abyssals. Space is always at a premium for me with his clan too, dunno.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

GodFish posted:

He's good but the single hit/no trample really holds him back compared to the units you can get going with abyssals. Space is always at a premium for me with his clan too, dunno.

I mean that's kind of a problem with champions as a whole, and why champions are probably more well balanced relative to the rest of the clan in the DLC compared to before where a lot of the time your run was just setting up for your champion to beat everything. With the DLC most of the champions are just sort of a supporting unit that keeps you afloat early on but can often just be thrown on a suicide floor later on as they become fairly worthless. Most champion stats are nowhere near good enough to survive endgame and they don't have the offensive scaling actual upgradeable cards do.

Of course there's an exception for Fade and Primordium because those two champions are just obscenely overpowered.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

GodFish posted:

Part of the problem too is that if he’s maxed out you probably want him on an incant floor or you’re wasting 15 incants, but he stops scaling after the 15th one. One level of titanchannel’s enough to win the first 3 rings usually but after that it starts losing value relative to like multistrike sirens or whatever. 3 levels once he’s out he’s an ok unit but it’s late enough that you probably have another big hitter that’s less fussy.

One level of titanchannel and then frost channel’s alright because you skip the low hp first level of frost, but he’s still mostly just a fish. Plus one that needs incant and rules out being on the same floor as a sapstone. He just doesn’t really offer anything new to his clan under any upgrade path and doesn’t synergize that well with it either.

Making him 0 pips until he unphases would help some.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

LOL I just made a holdover perils of production and duplicated it five times and it turns out that sometimes you need more than 5 perils of productions every turn to win a battle.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

First time trying Shardtail Queen: hmm, I guess killing imps every turn is handy for sweeping

Two rings later, got an Endless Armour Imp, and Summons Trigger Twice relic: well, that's a tank

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah, it seems like Endless Welder Helper/Molten Encasement with double Summon/double Extinguish is pretty much a gg

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

Steelsinger is the worst unit in the game, change my mind.

It's 3 cost, it's 4 space, and it has almost no attack unless you pump it full of every single healing spell you have in every single fight, to eventually hit the lofty goal of 100 damage, when any Gorger will hit that in every fight with minimal effort.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alloyed Construct.

Granted that can be less atrocious if it's got another construct sacrificed to it.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Alloyed Construct is pretty much my go-to for tld runs at this point. Either slap it onto a Crucible or another copy. Obviously a morsel made is nicer but failing that, the extra double strike you get out of it is vital.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

Alloyed Construct.

Granted that can be less atrocious if it's got another construct sacrificed to it.

You only need to feed it one morsel a turn. I'm fairness, 100% of the games I've gotten one, I was running the Buffet champ, so that was quite easy to do

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Alloyed Construct is good, actually. Just stick one of those morsel generators behind it.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Just looked up who Steelsinger is, and I've actually had good results with that dude.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Seedge posted:

You only need to feed it one morsel a turn.

No, you need to feed it one morsel per turn plus one per turn it'll be fighting the Relentless boss. It's very easy and completely catastrophic to have too few turns on your construct when the boss comes knocking, and that'll almost always end your run right there.

Seedge posted:

Steelsinger is the worst unit in the game, change my mind.

It's 3 cost, it's 4 space, and it has almost no attack unless you pump it full of every single healing spell you have in every single fight, to eventually hit the lofty goal of 100 damage, when any Gorger will hit that in every fight with minimal effort.

It's extremely good in standard Awoken because both the initial heal and the regen ticks from the default spell trigger it. It's also really good with basically any cheap holdover heal. The AOE full heal or the 1 cost, draw +1 energy +1 are favored targets. If you're playing exiled Awoken, yeah, it's a lot harder to use.

I wouldn't agree that it's flat worse than the gorgers. For one thing, there are only three gorge +stat units in the game, and the Overgorger doesn't get any defensive stats so it can be pretty fragile. Of the other two, Hunger is incredible, no question, and the other is Penumbra, who absolutely requires either the multiattack or trample-granting spells to be of any use. For another, gorge units require either another unit (which you may not see) or just as much spell attention as Steelsinger does. Aside from the Hunger, they also eat up just as much or more space on their floor thanks to the needed morsels. And then morsels are vulnerable to being swept or spiked away before they're eaten.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I don’t remember the last time I took an animus of speed.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly I don't like awoken so any of their units could be insanely bad and I would never know.

Zurai posted:

No, you need to feed it one morsel per turn plus one per turn it'll be fighting the Relentless boss. It's very easy and completely catastrophic to have too few turns on your construct when the boss comes knocking, and that'll almost always end your run right there.

There's also the fact that you can't stick it on the first floor unless you have a defensive line above it.

if you can get it with morselmade though you're fine.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I don’t remember the last time I took an animus of speed.

I'll pick it up to slap Speed on something else if nothing better pops up.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

Any advice for Styg / Umbra? My floors all want to have an eater, a bunch of food, my champion, and a bunch of Incanters all together, and it's really proving tough to get online.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Picked this up on switch and loving it! Just found this thread. Help me stop taking all the shards lol. I won my first three runs in a row and even took out The Last Divinity on the third run but haven't won since. My last run coasted through Seraph The Patient but fell to TLD. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Playing on the Switch is my first introduction to the DLC so I'm the opposite and am very hesitant to take shards. Luv 2 beat up the Seraph without them though.