Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Every new TLD rare card for the old clans is a potential run-carrying card. They vary between heinously broken and merely a very good card. Steelsinger is on the latter end of things, but it's still very good. Compared to Overgorger, Steelsinger doesn't need any help to survive attacks and non-Hunger Gorge is just a weaker mechanic than triggering on heal because of space restrictions and sweep.

That said Awoken has some of the best units in the game and also is one of the best clans in the game so Steelsinger is definitely more overall balanced within the clan than some of the new rares in other clans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why the heck is this 2x the price on switch as it is steam?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Acerbatus posted:

????

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's $40 on Switch here, which isn't quite 2x with the dlc, but still.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Can't help you there. It's $30 US on Switch which according to that bundle I linked is actually cheaper. :shrug:

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Acerbatus posted:

Is this your first time comparing a new game on Switch to an old game on Steam?

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

Little Fade is pretty much useless unless you get the "Extinguish and come back hitting harder every time", huh? The Burnout buff sounds alright until you try to keep any Burnout units alive past two rounds, and the spikes variant just seems straight up bad.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Seedge posted:

Little Fade is pretty much useless unless you get the "Extinguish and come back hitting harder every time", huh? The Burnout buff sounds alright until you try to keep any Burnout units alive past two rounds, and the spikes variant just seems straight up bad.

Spikes kills count as kills and she gains hp every time you reform her. Her starting cards are random reform so you want to make sure you don’t have other stuff in your reform pool to start so you can reform her every turn but once a he’s got a few kills under her belt and has enough spikes to take our back lines she can go parabolic and start wiping out a wave every turn after the first or second. It’s pretty normal to end a game around 200 spikes/200 attack and 300+ isn’t out of the question.

Burnout’s also pretty powerful, ideally you want to be killing and reforming her multiple times a turn (like torch/reform, then let the wave kill her, reform next turn).

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

That sounds like a lot more work than "let her die to a wave each turn and hit the boss for 300 a go", honestly, but maybe I'll try one of the others out next run. This one got an Extinguish twice in the starting chest, so, welp

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Seedge posted:

That sounds like a lot more work than "let her die to a wave each turn and hit the boss for 300 a go", honestly, but maybe I'll try one of the others out next run. This one got an Extinguish twice in the starting chest, so, welp

I think spikes is fun but yeah I don’t usually mess with the burnout one because it’s fussier and I always accidentally end up sticking a burnout on the wrong thing or something.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Seedge posted:

Spikes Little Fade can win a run by herself with armor or HP support. The first pretty much requires Hellhorned, but Awoken or Wurmkin can conceivably handle the latter.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I don't think I've seen a real Fire Light run but I've seen both Little Icarus and Eternal Flame runs. Fade in general is one of the two easy run carrying champions alongside Primordium. One of the keys with Fade is that her early game is quite weak, so you'll really want to hold off on taking trials/Pact Shards early on, but she scales out of control later.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Ultima66 posted:

I don't think I've seen a real Fire Light run but I've seen both Little Icarus and Eternal Flame runs. Fade in general is one of the two easy run carrying champions alongside Primordium. One of the keys with Fade is that her early game is quite weak, so you'll really want to hold off on taking trials/Pact Shards early on, but she scales out of control later.

I can't figure out Primorodium, any tips?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Give him Superfood and Stalwart Snack, then pile as many buffs as you can onto him. if you ever see a chance to get Retch, take it.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Acerbatus posted:

Give him Superfood and Stalwart Snack, then pile as many buffs as you can onto him. if you ever see a chance to get Retch, take it.

The trick to Primordium is getting extra buffs on him to transfer to a carry unit yeah. Note that Superfood is situational since it is run losing against the Seraph that applies Sap and also can be quite bad against the Seraph that removes buffs. Awoken and Wurmkin both have strong non-situational buffs you can just toss on Primordium to turbo charge his buffing, Melting needs a little finagling but if you can set up a situation where Primordium dies and gets continually reformed it gets broken very fast, and Hellhorned has very powerful armor/rage granting cards that get broken with Superfood.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Note that things like Multistrike, Endless, Trample, and armor are considered status effects, so if you can give him those effects he'll pass them on to the people who eat him (assuming you take the line that lets him pass on status effects). Normally this involves rare cards.

Doing the Expert Challenge where every troop counts as every type was super easy for me because I ran Primordium and first picked the relic that gives Stewards +5/+5, damage shield 2, and multistrike 1. Because of the "challenge", Primordium was considered a Steward (along with all my other creatures, which would have made it easy enough), so by the end of the game my frontline troop had something like Multistrike 7 a few turns in.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zurai posted:

Note that things like Multistrike, Endless, Trample, and armor are considered status effects, so if you can give him those effects he'll pass them on to the people who eat him (assuming you take the line that lets him pass on status effects). Normally this involves rare cards.

Doing the Expert Challenge where every troop counts as every type was super easy for me because I ran Primordium and first picked the relic that gives Stewards +5/+5, damage shield 2, and multistrike 1. Because of the "challenge", Primordium was considered a Steward (along with all my other creatures, which would have made it easy enough), so by the end of the game my frontline troop had something like Multistrike 7 a few turns in.

Only for Prim though, stuff that doubles status effects won't give more armor or multistrike usually.

Ultima66 posted:

The trick to Primordium is getting extra buffs on him to transfer to a carry unit yeah. Note that Superfood is situational since it is run losing against the Seraph that applies Sap and also can be quite bad against the Seraph that removes buffs. Awoken and Wurmkin both have strong non-situational buffs you can just toss on Primordium to turbo charge his buffing, Melting needs a little finagling but if you can set up a situation where Primordium dies and gets continually reformed it gets broken very fast, and Hellhorned has very powerful armor/rage granting cards that get broken with Superfood.

It's also regrettable if Prim has emberdrain on him from being put on the top floor or something, which sometimes you can't avoid. :v:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm probably just bad but god drat can I not make use of Wyldenten.

He's a support champion that takes up three slots, it's horrible.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I had a stupidly powerful Awoken/Remnant run where he had both quick and root. I parked him on the bottom floor with an endless Molten Encasement and except for the harder-hitting bosses he was basically able to hold the train by himself.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

First run in a while, Little Fade pimp-handing bosses for 1k+ by just finding multiple ways to extinguish him every turn plus Mark of the Champion.

Deeplink

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Ultima66 posted:

Fire Light Little Fade is basically my go-to when I want a quick and easy run. Molten Remnant/Hellhorned and stack as many multistrikers as you can (Draffs (Draves?) are ideal, but anything that has multistrike is good. Advanced Prototype is actually a really good starting relic for this exact reason). If you can get a source of endless to slap on Little Fade, you're golden; otherwide, aggressively draft cards with reform and prefer upgrading them with holdover since you should assume your Fade will be dying every turn. Sometimes more than once, if you can kill her with a damage spell then reform her in the same turn. Optionally, cards that provide burnout are also pretty good if you find yourself in the situation where you've reformed Little Fade too many times and she doesn't keel over immediately anymore and you're concerned your draffs will burn themselves out before the boss.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do things like Echowright's shell removing ability trigger if Wing Clippings preserves a card with consume?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Yeah.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Lol

Beat covenant level 25 on my first attempt.

Had the perfect Umbra run with multiple energy boosing artifacts, plus gorge triggers twice , plus I managed to copy 3 instances of Shroud Spike.

Oh what's that final boss? Having trouble getting through Eighty levels of Damage Shield?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Huh, I tried it now and it didn't seem to. I'll have to try again.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Speaking of echowright, any pro combos with that guy?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Acerbatus posted:

Huh, I tried it now and it didn't seem to. I'll have to try again.

Really? Maybe I'm wrong but I'd swear they did.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Primordium, superfood 2 or 3 (+1 stalwart if you think you can stack buffs fast enough to make it worth it), prismal dust with -1 cost and removed consume. Combine on the top floor with any unit that does reasonable damage. Stack 30 damage shields on the damage unit and watch everything melt under the power of your invincible unit.

What do you do with eggs? The payoff seems kind of weak for the required investment. Like, the hatched units aren't even upgraded. And how do you protect them before and after they hatch? E: Okay, step one, the bog fly egg is mediocre and isn't going to carry you. You want the kinship egg with 8 shell. Whole different animal right there. Multistrike, an initial 20 armor to keep it alive. Good stuff.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 7, 2021

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Bogfly Egg is in the running for strongest unit in the game IMO.

The hatched units keep any stat upgrades, unit essences, and shop upgrades that the egg has. That means that if you, say, give a Bogfly Egg Multistrike and Largestone from the shop and fuse a Morsel Maker into it, both hatched flies will have their base stats plus Multistrike, the stats and size from Largestone, and will grow +6/+6 every turn (in addition to all the +6/+6s the egg itself got).

For super fun times, give an Egg Endless and hatch it over and over.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Possibly the funniest run I've had:

2x For The Greater Good with -2 cost, Holdover and Spellchain

Eason the Fifth posted:

It's probably not worth leveling up Marshlord past 1 since the later forms are stronger but also take significantly longer to come online, which kinda defeats the point of your champion. Shellsmith is whatever, Repeater is fantastic.

Zurai posted:

The hatched units keep any stat upgrades, unit essences, and shop upgrades that the egg has. That means that if you, say, give a Bogfly Egg Multistrike and Largestone from the shop and fuse a Morsel Maker into it, both hatched flies will have their base stats plus Multistrike, the stats and size from Largestone, and will grow +6/+6 every turn (in addition to all the +6/+6s the egg itself got).

Pacting a Bogfly Egg onto another Egg is hilarious.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Zurai posted:

WHAT?! I need to do that run again, that sounds cool.

E: and it gave me my first win against the Divine. Eggs are real.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 7, 2021

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What's the best way to get up to speed with the expansion if I haven't played since the original?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Gyshall posted:

What's the best way to get up to speed with the expansion if I haven't played since the original?

Just play it. The Last Divinity adds in a new clan (which you can learn the same way you learned the other five, by bashing your head into a wall), and if you've been out of the loop for a bit, each clan now has a second alternate Champion/starting card set, so you learn those the same way (see: head bashing).

The other major feature it adds are Pact Shards. There's a temple before every battle where you can acquire Pact Shards as a cost to get some cool bonuses. There's a catch, though: the more Pact Shards you acquire, the stronger the enemies are. Getting a hundred or more Shards also means that after Seraph you face a new boss, The Last Divinity, who has their own quirks and gimmicks. Note that unlike the equivalent mechanic in Slay the Spire, beating Seraph but not The Last Divinity will not unlock the next Covenant rank. If you don't want to face The Last Divinity, don't get a hundred Shards. Anything less is fine, though.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Eason the Fifth posted:

Repeater in general is broken. If you get Repeater 3 you're not only drawing 2 free cards a turn, they're cards tuned at a power level that the game didn't intend for you to play them more than once per fight. Armorsmith is also really strong. Marshlord is weird because it's made like it wants you to hatch a lot of eggs but the actual eggs in the game aren't really designed in a way where hatching a lot of them is actually useful, and if you're just hatching 1 or 2 eggs Marshlord doesn't give a ton of consistent value. With both Repeater and Armorsmith though you probably just want to build up a carry unit that has Etch and go hog wild on Consume spells.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what are people's takes on heavy units?

I've tried using Shardsoul Carvers, First of Kin, and Fiends but they never seem to be worth paying that much for when you can get things that are basically as strong for a fraction of the price.

Umbra can kinda get away with it due to Perils and space extensions, but even then it's kinda eh.

e: Obvious except if you have sketches.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 7, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think this is the most overwhelming win I have ever had against seraph.

monstertrain://runresult/59cfb66b-72fd-42d4-8b28-e7c048f37bb9

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
that post belongs in the Imp Zone

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

MotU posted:

that post belongs in the Imp Zone

:hmmyes:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yooo this game rules, bought it two days ago and I finally got a win against the Divinity. I lucked into an absurd combo by the second area - a duplicated Coldcaelia with Shadowsiege essence, Sweep and Quick, plus two Stackstone'd Furnace Taps. The battle against the Dinivity was literally one unit on each line while I fed them morsels and they one shot the entire enemy lineup aside from the mini-bosses. Amazing, I'm never achieving something this beautiful again :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The beauty of this game (as opposed to something like Slay the Spire) is there're tons of combos that feel broken right until you lose. Quick Sweep with some kind of scaling is usually pretty good, though. It's why the exiled Awoken champion is so good.