Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Even though I'm extremely sick of deck-builder roguelikes I bought this game and it's fun - I beat it on my very first run after exiting out of the tutorial run on the 3rd battle :haw:

It seems like it will be very easy to make absurdly overpowered builds with the way that spell and unit upgrading works, and the spell/unit synergies. I pretty much did nothing throughout this entire run except plop my champion on floor 1 then spammed my 4 0-cost Regen cards that always returned to the top of the draw pile after playing them. My champion was The Sentient who is a defensive wall that deals damage to the front enemy every time it gets healed - up to 60 damage when fully upgraded. So every single turn I had a guaranteed 300 damage for 0 mana cost plus whatever other cards I happened to draw. Very few enemies made it past the first floor and it was enough raw damage output to brute force all of the bosses.

Based on what I saw with how easy it was to earn gold and how super powerful the enhancements you buy with gold are I'm a little worried this will be too easy to keep things interesting, but beating it unlocked a challenge mode that I haven't tried yet so :shrug: And also I've only played one run so maybe The Awoken are unbalanced, or maybe I just got particularly lucky... but I didn't use any rare cards or anything that seemed hard to get.

Either way I really, really appreciate how short a run is in this game compared to Slay the Spire and all in all it only took about an hour (with a lot of time spent reading cards and generally bumbling around while I learned the game), I'm excited to unlock the other factions and see what they're all about.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It seems like a lot of the artifacts are basically "Makes [x] build better while ruining the run of any other build" which is getting kind of boring since there's no choice to be made.

A good example is Heartless from the crystal caves - units can't be healed but gain 10 life. This is a death sentence for any run using either Awoken or Umbra who rely on regen and lifesteal, and 10hp isn't even a worthwhile tradeoff unless you're running some kind of imp build. There's also the one that summons 4 random units from your deck to the middle floor at the start of battle - I can't imagine any build that's actually good for except for one that only has 4 units in it.

And then other artifacts are no-brainers like conserving energy between turns, or getting an extra unit upgrade slot. The artifacts with tradeoffs have tradeoffs that are way too negative, and the most powerful artifacts don't have any tradeoffs.

I can consistently get Sygian Guard up to the final fight and trounce everything before it but I can never deal enough damage to kill the last boss, I think I'd need to get lucky with multiple Frostbite cards that get upgraded with both Holdover and Doublestack to have a chance. Spell damage builds where you stack up a murderbox with your champ + little octopus guys and a shark guard then spam attack spells on anything that enters it are pretty good but can't put out enough damage for the boss, since bosses don't give you opportunities to cast more spells after the opening. (Frostbite is really good against them though)

Umbra seems really hit or miss so far, without a Morselmaster early on and the Trample upgrade on my champion they fall flat, I'm not sure what other early run builds I can use to get them off the ground. Even when they're off the ground I'm not very impressed. I like them in theory but morsel spamming isn't fun with this game's tightly constrained unit caps on each floor, even with Umbra being able to increase it mid-battle they have fairly weak (defensively) units and this means leaving a few pips open in the back to summon morsels to devour, so you pretty much have to use your champ to tank and rely on getting lifesteal morsel cards or an Emberdraining lifesteal buff

Awoken and Hellhorned both seem fairly solid but there's a huge power disparity between Awoken (even if you don't abuse the 'deal damage on heal' champ ability) and other factions because of the way that heal-over-time effects affect the action economy of boss fights. Maybe I just need to play the other factions more to unlock more cards for them but they're not very fun to play as-is so I don't know if I really want to.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 25, 2020

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ok I got the hang of Umbra and lol, this is every boss fight

You quickly get virtually infinite draws, infinite energy, and infinite capacity and your champion gains 48-72+ damage every turn, plus easily reaches multistrike 3 or 5 (since the downside to Furnace Tap is 8 emberdrain which is irrelevant to Umbra) and you have multiple methods to get 15+ stacks of lifesteal or damage shield with 1-2 cards.

And then by the end of the game you are on whole new levels of absurd bullshit. You can completely ignore the bottom 2 lanes and just summon overflow Morsels into them to get Hell's Banners procs if you have it

How-to:
Make sure your champion can get the Gorge ability for more damage - Trample or +capacity are both fine for the second slot. +capacity is better overall but will take a small amount of pyre damage.
Get a Morselmaster and/or Morselmaker (or both)
Stick your Morselmaster and/or Morselmaker in the top row with your Champion and that's it, that's all you really have to do to win.

Top 2 cards are Shroud Spike and Furnace Tap
Upgrade everything you can toward 0-cost if you get them (and especially if you remove Consume from them). This is because Shroud Spike is an X Cost card so preserving energy for it means more gains, and Furnace Tap adds Emberdrain 4 (8 with doublestack) and you will hopefully be casting it a few times each battle. Even with Emberdrain in the double-digits you'll still have plenty of energy to fuel your X-cost skills. Emberdrain only reduces energy at the start of the turn but this deck gets energy after the turn starts (ember cache

Pick Umbra primary with Awoken secondary, you can skip every card that isn't one of these: (tbh by mid-game you'll be drawing your entire deck every turn with pretty much infinite energy so feel free to throw in other cards if you really want but :shrug:)
from Umbra:
Prismal Dust
Shroud Spike (priority for removing Consume)
Ember Cache (remove consume if you can)
Packed Morsels (don't upgrade these, they become irrelevant if you get a Morselmaker and master)
Space Prism (also becomes irrelevant if you get maker+master - their summoned/duped morsels ignore the floor's Capacity)
Morselmaster (no need to upgrade it)
Morselmaker (no need to upgrade it)
Furnace Tap (priority for removing Consume, also add doublestack if you can)

From Awoken:
Sting
Preserved Thorns
Invigorating Solution
Wildwood Tome

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 11:03 on May 26, 2020

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm pretty bored of this game after 20 hours and a bunch of wins. Umbra and hellhorned are the only factions that I personally don't find a snoozefest to play and I burned out pretty quick on Umbra/Hellhorned and Hellhorned/Umbra runs - it's virtually impossible to lose but every run plays out the same way :shrug: You can pick pretty much any unit in the game and just drop morsels and morselmakers and morselmasters behind it all day and it will kill everything

I was going to say I'm looking forward to checking it out after a year of EA but I just realized it's not an EA game :kiddo: hopefully they add some more content and work on balance anyway because the basic concept is pretty great

The only way I could see the game not being super easy forever is if they get rid of Holdover and the spell upgrade that removes Consume. Being able to consistently pick a card or two every run and play them every single turn for 0 or 1 mana is kinda game breaking.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 29, 2020