Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Walh Hara posted:

My main problem with Hellhorned (and stygian) is that they have no good way to tank or mitigate damage. Some units have decent starting health/armor, but lategame that's never enough and you need some sort of heal/lifesteal/revive/damage shield/stealth/quick if you want to keep your big unit alive and healthy until the boss shows up. The armor spells don't scale and are generally not that strong. Your best bet is getting an endless imp but that uses up an unit slot, a card draw and 1 energy every single turn. Stygian kan try to mitigate by first killing things with spells and the armor on incant unit can help a little bit.

Of course, you can always get a solution for this from your second clan, but it's certainly still a drawback.

Both clans remind me of mono-red aggro decks from MtG - fragile builds that try to be proactive about removing threats. Hellhorned tend to have an easier time killing dangerous backline units because they can actually target them with spells, unlike the Stygnan for the most part, and you don't have to heal when you don't take damage! The basic spells are usually kinda junk, but upgrading one or two Torches with +10 damage (you'd prefer a Horn Break but still) can be worth investment, as they'll stay relevant in killing dangerous backline enemies all the way through (gently caress those 10x2 guys near the end!).

Stygnan really want Quick and a damage upgrade on one of their Sweep units, as they don't really have many solutions for backline units inside the clan.

Jedit posted:

Getting Endless on the armour imp (aka The Devil's Dustbin) along with a sacrifice spell solves a pot of problems, especially if said spell is Imp-portant Work so you don't lose the draw. Putting the guy who gains 5 armour at Resolve on the top floor is pretty good too if you get him early, he will have a ton of armour by the time the boss arrives.

Similarly, Enflame is great, especially with a -1 cost and the double effect upgrade. With a small enough deck, with all your creatures out, you'll be casting it nearly every turn for a whole lot of extra armour and damage. This is pretty key, really - if your deck is small, even pretty average cards can do a lot of work if they're cast over and over.

To be honest, though, most of my wins with Hellhorned so far have basically boiled down to 'Demon Fiend + Multistrike = Many Dead Angels'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Funny you mention that...

Started with the 'summon four random units from your deck' artifact, got one of these guys Multistrike, then hit the copy 5 cavern event, the first time I've actually used the copy five choice! I have both Ascend and Restoring Retreat, so I look forward to the eventual Sentient in front of six demons setup.

edit: of course I could never get Sentient to the front, but it never mattered anyway. Seraph (buff-removing variant) got through only one demon before he bit it.

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 27, 2020

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Jedit posted:

The gently caress? That option is literally the single most broken thing in the game. Unless you get it in the first two circles before you have a properly upgraded spell, it may as well just take you straight to the victory screen. It's been raised with the devs, and they just said "we know, but it's fun so we're leaving it".

I've only hit it I think two or three times, either early on or during Remant/Umbra runs where card synergy was paramount and I was endeavoring to thin my deck as much as possible, to the point where my hand was almost the same every turn after my creatures were played.

It's extremely possible to poo poo up a deck with too many of a good card, especially if you're relying on several cards to show up at the same time and your card draw sucks! It just worked well in this case because four of the five copies started on the field so it didn't really hurt how the deck ran.