Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

This game seems like 5x easier as Awoken. They're so straightforwardly powerful and impossible to gently caress up. I'm almost convinced you cannot lose a run when focus your run around them, even as an allied clan. Heal things and thorns them. Bam, done. Even when the endboss halves your stacks periodically he just can't keep up.

Also just found out that a Remnant reform build with Umbra has some incredible anti-synergy. You end up completely flooding your dead unit pool with lovely morsels. The starter cards are basically a terrible curse.

Good game though, I'm quite enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

My least favorite champion is the Remnant one that gains hp on harvest. He does fuckall damage, starts with low health, and if he survives to ramp up he attains the soaring heights of becoming a pretty mediocre tank that's completely surpassed by tons of common cards. The burnout one is a better meatshield while also annihilating anything you put in front of him.

Close runner-up is the Hellhorned champion that gains rage on revenge and armor on slay. It's not worth desperately trying to keep his squishy rear end alive so he can put out really middling damage. He's a hybrid that's bad at both roles.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Are there spells which can give a unit Trample or Sweep? That'd be pretty good to use on a Slay champ.

Umbra has a 2 cost consume spell for trample. If there's anything that gives sweep, I haven't unlocked it yet.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Getting multiple curse (blight?) deals seems pretty good. I picked up the one that gives you 1 cost cards that deal 1 damage to the pyre if not played, but gives you permanent +energy per turn for having curses. Then I grabbed the otherwise lovely deal what gives you 3 cost purge cards and an artifact that deals 100 damage to the front enemy unit when you play a curse.

That aint so great with 3 cost, unupgradable cards that purge on use, but it's loving amazing when it applies to 1 cost cards that do not purge that you were probably going to play anyways, on top of the extra energy I was getting every turn for having all of these in my deck.

Also just finished a weird Stygian/Umbra run where I had basically no worthwhile units at all. They were completely superfluous to my strategy, dealing next to no damage and dying instantly. Relied entirely on damage spells. I had the artifact that made spells free if you played a higher cost one that turn and I put holdover on a 3 cost spell to enable it. Then I shoved holdover on a 2 cost spell and copied it a few times, so bare minimum I was able to play all of those every turn in addition to whatever other damage spells and spell weakness cards I had. One of the rare runs where draw was the most important thing to have. Ended up cutting it pretty close and definitely would have eaten poo poo if I didn't get the artifact that applies spell weakness 2 to anything on floor 3, but it worked out.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 27, 2020

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Draw and discard 1 is great regardless of whether or not you have offering cards. It just sends it over the top once you do get them.

You are effectively drawing 1 fewer card per turn so if you aren't getting offering synergy then it is actively detrimental to have in your deck. By itself it does nothing and then replaces itself with the draw 1, putting you in the exact same place that you would be without it. But then you are also forced to lose a card with the discard 1.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Eschatos posted:

Do you always play every single card you draw? If not, it's improved card selection for very little cost.

It is literally not. You get to see the exact same cards that you would if you did not have Offering Token in your deck, except you have to discard one. The act of drawing Offering Token takes up one of your natural draws, canceling out the benefit of the +1 from playing the card. So all your are left with is discard 1.

The identical card in StS throws a lot of people off the same way. Every new player I've ever seen stream the game falls into that trap.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 3, 2020

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Eschatos posted:

Ah, but you see, when I give it holdover it's pure improvement! But for real though triggering incant for free and activating offering easily makes it a good card regardless.

Holdover doesn't give you your holdover card as a bonus on the next turn. It just puts it at the top of the draw pile, meaning you are still using a draw to pull it. You're still getting the exact same disadvantages when putting it on Offering Token, except it's happening every turn instead of just for one.

It's not a completely free incant either, since you are losing a card to do it. Anything else that costs 0 and doesn't force you to discard while also having a beneficial effect on its own is far, far superior for this purpose (though obviously Offering Token tends to pull ahead if you can trigger an offering card with it)

Offering Token is still good though, I agree. But you need synergies to make it work. Without them it is straight up worse than Deadweight.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

blizzardvizard posted:

I actually just straight up hate Offering Token, I don't think Incant synergy is good enough to run it, and Offering cards are always so awkward to begin with because you need both the Offering card and the discarder at the same time so it doesn't go off as often as you want it to. Even with Offering cards stuck in the deck already I might just take the loss and let them sit there or plan to Vortex them later, since trying to activate an inconsistent synergy might actually make the deck worse. If I have Freeze stuff like Cuttlehex or Preserve, then it actually starts looking appealing.

I think it's a bit tough to justify an offering build when given the choice to pick up offering/discard cards since they're dead draws until you come across something to work with them, but you get them all the time as your initial random starting cards. Makes it a lot easier to pick up a Titan's Tooth or whatever when you already have 2 Offering Tokens in your deck.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

You could probably go infinite using the Awoken champion who draws a card when he takes damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

One of the covenant difficulties makes it so that your top floor units get dazed the turn you play them there. How did you guys adapt to that, did it change up your playstyle?

That covenant addition makes me much more likely to try to play a floor 3 minion, any minion, on the first turn. It's a good train steward dump. I've lost too many of those +gold extinguish enemies by not doing so, since there's no guarantee you'll have a spell to take them out any any minion you play up there will be useless on that turn. Other than that I haven't found it to be all that noteworthy.