Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, Umbra is the only clan I can win with so far. Up to Asc 4 with an Awoken/Umba, a Umbra/Wax and finally a Wax/Umbra series of runs.

Umbra and Wax synergize hilariously well since Morsels count as deaths for all the Wax units and spells that get buffs based on unit deaths. It does some really stupid stuff though you do have to lean into it and not use the random res cards because you just get flooded with rezzing Morsels rather than decent cards.

The big combo that's been carrying me so far is a combination of the Gorgeworm that gains permanent attack on Gorge and the Morselmaster that summons 2 Morsels per turn automatically. I had one run with the 'Gorge triggers twice' relic and a super event that gave me a 411/54 and a 622/54 worm by the end of the game. It was silly and destroyed Seraph even through Sap.

Still need to figure out how to make Stygian and Hellborn work

Also what are people picking for their set upgrades? I've been going almost exclusively for Capacity with Ember when I didn't get events or relics that let me cheat out stuff and never card draw. Capacity just seems so important and only Umbra gets cards and powers to increase it

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Anyone have any tips for doing well with Stygian? I've gotten a pretty good handle on the other clans and have won with most non-Stygian combos (up to Asc 10 now), but slotting in Stygian as primary or secondary means I just always lose.

:negative:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Vargs posted:

This game seems like 5x easier as Awoken. They're so straightforwardly powerful and impossible to gently caress up. I'm almost convinced you cannot lose a run when focus your run around them, even as an allied clan. Heal things and thorns them. Bam, done. Even when the endboss halves your stacks periodically he just can't keep up.

Also just found out that a Remnant reform build with Umbra has some incredible anti-synergy. You end up completely flooding your dead unit pool with lovely morsels. The starter cards are basically a terrible curse.

Good game though, I'm quite enjoying it.

Reform just giving you infinite Morsels can still win pretty hard because you can use them to beef up your Gorgers like crazy if you don't get a Morselmaker/Morselmaster.

Remnant+Umbra has incredible synergy with the card that gain effects on unit deaths too. I got like 700 gold once in a single battle with the dude who gains 5 gold every time a unit in its row dies (Morsels count). There's also the bomb that gains a stack of 15 damage every time a unit dies that I've used to nuke Seraph by sticking it on a row with a Gorger/Morselm* engine.

Honestly Umbra has so many incredible cards and relics (Morsels coming into play with a damage shield lets you do so much bullshit). They're by far the easiest class for me. They also benefit the most from me spamming +capacity at every opportunity.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

I like getting the uber buffed morsels. The turn into a nice source of damage for one turn, as well as meat shields for your other units that you might still need to feed up before they get tanky enough to shrug off attacks. Also doesn't anything that gets killed and returned by remnant come with burnout anyway? Might as well get a buff off of their inevitable demise.

Yeah, but it adds one to the Burnout timer if they already have it and gives them +5/+5 by default.

It can lead to a really fun zerging playstyle, but minions clogging the death pool means you need to use some other scaling engine because it becomes unreliable to actually get back something worthwhile.

I love using it with the Duff units (start with Burnout 1, Multistrike and 10 damage). Because they die and reform so often you can turn them into absolute monsters even before any augments, its hilarious.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I still think the dumbest win I've had so far was my only Hellhorned primary win where I did the duplicate 5 on the armor granting Imp after I got a copy of that Imp that replicates every other on entrance effect when its summoned.

It let me pump up a stupid amount of armor.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ragnar34 posted:

I'm having a ball being bad at this game, and I haven't even started climbing the ascension ladder or whatever it's called in this one. For the candle champion, is there any reason to pick an upgrade other than the one that reforms random units? The one that gives him burnout 3 seems especially worthless.

e: Burnout 3 was a really fun PS2 game though

Yeah, reform doesn't play super well if you have Umbra as your second clan as you'll mostly be reforming Morsels. It also makes him pretty wimpy in combat, and Waxers struggle a little bit with bosses.

Giving him the Burnout upgrades makes him an absolute stat monster and there are a host of cards and relics that increase burnout. Plus remember you get stat bonuses each time you reform and the Candles have a lot of cards that let you reform units to make them even stronger (plus each time you do automatically adds +1 to burnout).

But Ascension 1+ change the game a lot by giving you way more starting cards which means you can start building combos from the first fight instead of being stuck with the same deck every time.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, I tend to have about 30 card decks on my wins because focusing hugely on just thinning my deck was causing me to miss a lot of the better paths through the game and miss artifacts etc.

Also in general you want a little bit of wiggle room with some extra cards just so the bosses that add curses and effects don't gently caress up every single hand when you fight them. Also so that you can take some of the early challenges to get bonus gold/card rewards.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Traxis posted:

Thorned Hollows are OP

Just wait until you stack the 'Thorns do +1 damage per stack' relic and the minion with that effect.

I had one that was doing like 240 damage every time it was hit. It was hilarious and melted Seraph.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

a fatguy baldspot posted:

that’s probably the strongest way to win, but other strategies can work. artifacts also change things a lot, grab more of those if you’re bored

where do y’all put the stygian champ? second row? i like him with magic amp and can’t decide if first or second is best. i’m not certain on vertical positioning at all really.

I tend to stick him on the bottom and usually go for a combo of the Sweep+Magic resist down and Frostbite. Sweep is just too good to pass up for inflicting statuses on those low HP assholes in the back/Dadelus/Fel/Seraph, but I find Frostbite overall more useful. Plus not going pure Frostbite keeps him out of instant KO range from the sweep enemies.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Artelier posted:

Is...is it time to PRAISE SNECKO

It's overall less good than Snecko I think because there are proportionally more 0/1 cost cards in this game compared to 2+ cards.

Still an insanely strong relic though

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Patrick Spens posted:

Can someone give me some advice for Umbra? They just seem super fiddly, and I can't figure out how to consistently make strong floors with them.

Use your champ on the bottom floor to basically build time. You want a Gorger (Permanent stat increase one, lifesteal one or shield one) and either a Morselmaker or Morselmaster on the top floor (and mid-floor if you can get them)

Then basically beef the hell out of the Gorger and win. I usually slap Multi-attack and some kind of HP increase on them. That's by far the simplest way to win.

You can replace the Gorger with your Champ if you don't get one. Just make sure not to go full Monstrous upgrades on your champ or you won't have the ability to summon Morsels on its floor without doing both +capacity upgrades or lucking into +capacity cards

Also the Morsels will absolutely still trigger the Harvest buff a lot of Melted have which can lead to some hilarious combos.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah the stealth boss does a few single target attacks and the turn to destroy a floor counts as one. Even if nothing else every single body put down eats one of its turns of stealth, I haven't really ever had an issue with it.

I guess if you go for a super slim deck with very few monsters it becomes more of an issue.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I have yet to get a Stygian win :negative:

Yeah they took the longest for me too.

I finally got some by using some of the beefier Hellhorned monsters to block early then transitioning hard to that Shark guy who gives Frostbite as retaliation. Frostbite absolutely wrecks bosses.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Jinx posted:

If you want trash, take long hard look at the umbra champion. He is substantially worse than most of the other umbra fatties. Even with morsels his is SO SLOW.

And my vote to worst enemy is the birds that give emberdrain on attack. They have a chunk of HP and emberdrain really hurts when you get 2 per floor right from the start. By far the worst feeling part of the game.

The Umbra Champ has his Monstrous upgrade path which gives you a beefy trample monster to put on the bottom floor while you buff up a Gorger for the boss. Also the summoner variant becomes completely free in terms of capacity and lets you throw down a stupid number of morsels per turn.

Umbra Champ is probably the second best Champ in the game after the Melting Champ who's on another level. Then you have the Awoken, then Stygian then Hellhorned.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Buller posted:

For me all the clans have very set strategies so it all ends up very similar. With 5 variations of course.

Eh, some enable some wildly different synergies. Like Umbra/Awoken plays really different from Umbra/Melted in practice.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I started up an Umbra run just now and I guess Penumbra got buffed? The Gorge path starts with 2 Lifesteal that it didn't have before and the Trample path starts with more stats.

They buffed both the Penumbra and the Hellhorned champs. More stats in general for both, Hellhorned gets some innate armor so the multi attack version doesn't get as wrecked by spikes etc

Its in the patch notes on the main menu

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Snecko? What is Snecko? Is volatile gauge sneko? Is it because of the snake monster in StS that does the same thing?

Yes, the Snecko eye is an artifact in StS that randomizes card cost and gives +2 draw per turn much like Volatile Gauge does in MT

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I'm honestly shocked they buffed Umbra because I thought they were probably the second strongest faction after Melted. I have by far my highest winrate with them too.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Gyshall posted:

Has anyone found ways to go infinite at all?

Its a hell of a lot harder to do than StS that's for sure.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

dyzzy posted:

I bet you could do it with an imp deck. Excavated embers, imp scholar, transcendimp with endless...

Offering Monument and some consistent way to heal would do it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

a fatguy baldspot posted:

what does this mean, go infinite? english is not my first language

Have a combo you can play forever until you win the fight/get bored.

It requires, at minimum, some way to generate energy and draw enough cards to loop entirely through your deck. In Slay the Spire you usually accomplished this by exhausting a lot of cards in combat and having very small decks. An easy one to set up in that game involved two copies of the card 'dropkick' which, when played, drew a card and generated one energy. If that's the only card in your discard pile/deck you can just keep playing them until the enemy is dead

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah the spell eating buff is like the easiest thing Seraph can roll for any deck. Even spell heavy Stygian decks are going to be easily able to eat one spell consume per turn unless you're incredibly aggressive about removing cards and regularly have 15 or less by then.

Like most of my winning runs have about 30 cards and spell consume is almost always meaningless or a positive in that fight

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

CharlesThunder posted:

I played this for like five hours today and I'm still on covenant 2. I think umbra is extremely cool but I'm having a hard time getting it to work. Umbra doesn't seem suited to being a backup deck either.

How does gorge work? If you place a morsel between two other minions, does the one in front eat the morsel? Or does the morsel is in front of get to eat it?

Morsels can't eat other morsels. Its always the frontmost non-morsel unit that eats everything.

So you can have it set up like

Unit-M-M-Unit 2-M

and Unit 2 will eat all the Morsels. Gorge is a keyword that triggers whenever that unit eats a Morsel and so will do nothing if that unit has another regular unit in front of it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

CharlesThunder posted:

Ohhh it's the front most minion no matter what? So when I've been putting train wardens in front of penumbra to soak a few damage I've actually just been throwing morsels away? Whoops.
What's remove/purge strategy? I usually get rid of torches, restore, etc before train wardens just to have the extra bodies unless I'm running a very space intensive deck.

I always thin out Train Wardens first, mostly because I tend to be more capacity limited than anything and they are exceedingly bad monster cards

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Color Printer posted:

Hey, new player here, loving this game, but uh, quick question

What the gently caress

That fight is like an object lesson on how good sweep is.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

dyzzy posted:

Spikes is a good boss killing strategy but you need something for those big tank units that show up, including the harvest units that will gain massive armor from all their friends impaling themselves. That damage spell that works off of spike stacks is nice but you don't always see it. I like having one of the vine lady units for up-front damage.

The one version of Seraph that halves buff stacks can really screw you over if you try to spike stack too depending on which rows it hits.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, when they said they were tweaking other stuff I was hoping for some other buffs than the rather anemic stuff they did get. Most of the Harvest units are still hilariously awful and didn't get touched at all. They also seem to have adjusted two of the morsel's stats and then just stopped

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Wax have a lot of ridiculous scaling mechanics people tend to sleep on a bit. Reform enhances cards so going all in on Draffs that constantly reform is a super easy way to get a horde of multi-attackers that you barely need to be concerned about HP with. They also have all the various ways to make poo poo loads of gold with things like Parafinn enforcer or Greedy Baron (RIP his Umbra synergy). Failing at all of that they're the only clan with access to Stealth which can be just hilariously broken if you stack it by slapping Holdover on the spell or putting endless on the guy who extinguishes into it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

No Wave posted:

My issue w/ packed morsels is you'll usually find either a morselmaster or morselmaker which makes it impossible to put more than one morsel next to your collector anyways. It's still generically ok at 0 mana and it certainly makes better morsels than the starter card so there's nothing wrong with it and feeding Crucible all the morsels is probably the most solid/reliable boss killer strategy in the game.

Umbra is the clan with + capacity cards and also the clan that most benefits from picking +capacity at Daedalus and Fel (hell if you go Monstrous 3 you literally can't play your champ without at least one of those things)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Honestly one of the biggest drawbacks of this game is that there are so many cards that can only be reasonably played with Volatile Gauge.

In StS the only cards you had that cost more than 3 energy were Meteor Strike (which generates energy), Eviscerate (which lowers its cost when you discard cards), and Sands of Time (Which lowers in cost every turn).

Meanwhile in Monster Train there are 6 cards priced at 4+ energy, with one being 10 base and now two at 6 base which means you can't really take them at all before Daedalus and also you run into serious issues ever playing them if they're things like Consumer of Crowns or Shadowseige

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ugusername posted:

Train Stewards are still poo poo even with relic help though. Like you shouldn't path into steel merchant if the only monster upgrade you have is steward. And it's by design imo. Like relic buffed stewards let you bypass mediocre banner picks early game in favour of making your cool spells even better which is usually not an option. Don't keep stewards in your deck ever what I mean to say!

Yeah I got to ascension 15 before I even golded them. Then I realized I hadn't and it was bothering me so I left one in my deck that I just never played for a run

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Snow Job posted:

I don't get how to play Hellhorned summons reliably. You need multi-attack + rage to deal real damage, but only their hero has multi-attack, and sometimes even he doesn't get that option. I've had plenty of games where I'm mostly using the other faction to do most of the work, and have to skip every lame Hellhorned summon on offer.

If nothing else they have a lot of fatties that can tank while your other units set up or sit protected behind them. Plus they just explode wildly out of control if you get the artifact that gives all demons Multi-attack.

You can also choose to go all in on insanely dumb imp plays with endless Trancendimp :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, Secret Passage and Tiresome Climb are lowkey the most busted cards Hellhorned has access to and if you get them you can almost ignore upgrading units at all since you can stack enormous seven unit death floors.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Avasculous posted:

Did he have a bunch of Spell Weakness too? That seems like it still wouldn't get there.

A 20 Imp Imp-olate is 300 damage. Playing all 3 on all 3 floors would get you to 2700/4000 of Seraph's HP, and I can't see Imps and the Queen doing another 1300 damage in combat.

You'd also have to remove whatever blockers Seraph entered with or they would eat some of the Imp-olates.

You can pretty trivially get to that if you're abusing an endless Transcendimp

Things get really, really stupid quickly if you have one. Especially if you're playing with Wax secondary and give it burnout 1.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SlyFrog posted:

Don't see this in the initial campaign/tutorial, and it's the one question I immediately have - is there a way to voluntarily remove a monster you already placed (to replace it with another one in your hand), or are you stuck with it once you've placed it until it dies from the enemy hitting it?

Something a lot of people forget is that you can target anything with spells that aren't conditional.

This means for Hellhorned in particular you can target Torches at Imps and other 1 HP monsters you want to clear to free up space etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dalaram posted:

Is... is trancendimp recursive? Like it will trigger previous trancendimp summons?

Yep!

It spirals out of control quickly if you give it Endless or have some way to reform it