Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Kyrosiris posted:

Wow, Solgard looks like crap compared to Tethys.

I gotta disagree. The frostbite version hits everything on the floor instead of a single enemy like Tethys, and since shards don't decay, will very quickly ramp up over the course of a fight. Also no worries with spikes, which will utterly destroy the frostbite Tethys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I just played a couple of games and holy poo poo is the frostbite version of the new Stygian champion insanely strong. Admittedly, the first game I got the double-incant artifact and the second game I got the +2 frostbite and frostbite doesn't decay artifact, but to be frank, I would have steamrolled the second game even without it. In the first couple of stages he requires some babying, but once you get his first upgrade you can put him on the bottom floor behind one of the beefy Stygian shark guards and probably have those be your only two units and still win by a landslide.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

OK well it looks like the devs agreed that frostbite Solgard was overpowered because they just nerfed him into the ground. He went from giving all enemies 1 frostbite per incant (+1 per upgrade) trigger on his action in combat to giving all enemies 2 frostbite per incant (+1 per upgrade) at the end of combat. That means A) he no longer kills backline enemies before they advance to the next floor, making him worthless as a top floor guardian, and B) he does zero damage to bosses.

Like, drat, he is utterly worthless now. I'd almost rather have just a random Stygian card rather than frostbite-Solgard.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 29, 2020

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I think they might have hit the right balance with Coldchannel Solgard now. Action trigger was too strong, Resolve trigger was garbage, but now it's on Revenge trigger and that feels right.

Agreed, Revenge feels pretty good. That version of Solgard is reasonably beefy, so he can stand up to the hits for the most part. I have had trouble keeping him alive against the "gives your front troop Melee Weakness" version of the final boss, though. That debuff is brutal.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

How do you beat melee weakness? I haven't been able to kill this guy since the update. Stacking thorns didn't do it, stacking morsels on the divine shield eater guy didn't do it, frostbite didn't do it, huge recurring burnout minions didn't do it.

I'm only on difficulty 5, man. Some of you people seem to auto-win on anything below 10. I swear one of these should work, but it's just not happening for me.

I'm a little irritated at melee weakness because it's billed as a counterpart to spell weakness, but functions completely differently. Spell weakness goes away as soon as the target takes spell damage, but melee weakness sticks around for 1 round per layer of the buff. It's also inherently imbalanced because enemies have way more health than 99% of the units available to the player. It's by far the strongest/hardest to deal with Seraph variant.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Those are great changes for the most part. #1 and #2 were both things that really bugged me, so I'm happy to see those in particular.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Mod support was the one thing this game was missing to beat Slay the Spire for me, so I'm glad to see it's on the way. And soon, at that.

Also, yeah, never seen Bone Dog. I didn't even know it existed until I beat Covenant 25 recently and saw it in the credits.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Plink (the basic spell that deals 1 damage twice) seems unusable

It's not unusable but it does badly need to be upgraded (either through artifacts or direct shop upgrades) quickly. One thing I dislike about the alternate factions is the comparative quality of the alternate starting cards is all over the place. Like, Melting Remnant's is just a strictly worse version of a card that's already in their pool and also doesn't really help very much in the beginning, while the alternate Awoken card is really, really good and arguably better than the primary.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The new faction is pretty interesting, I like the new mechanics. It adds another layer of strategy to playing cards. The starting boss is pretty good with the "+X attack for every <infused shard thingy>" path, plays really well with either multiattack or swarms of little creatures.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, agreed. He doesn't sweep every floor; he sweeps the top floor, double-hits the center floor, and tramples the bottom floor. Bottom is safest from the boss, but you have less time to react to some of the TRULY nasty enemies. I usually set up on the center. That said, I haven't managed to beat him yet. Wiping all debuffs is really dumb because, as you say, it makes it pretty close to impossible for certain champions to win.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

As best I can tell, the final boss only has one version.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wurmkin also have ways to give spells the consume keyword on the fly. I haven't tried that version of the alt champion yet. I did finally beat the superboss with Wurmkin/Horned, with the primary champion giving the whole room +20 attack per charged echo. With a sufficient density of infused spells, you can regularly buff the room to +160-200 or more attack over what they already have, so any multiattacker or horde of small units (like, say, Welder Imps buffing the champion's armor...) let you really chew through enemies fast.

EDIT: That said, Reap is more like a fixed version of Frostbite than anything else. It has a similar function but it only triggers once per combat instead of once per combat round, making it way less useful versus bosses in Relentless mode. It's easier to apply, though, and doesn't decay, so it's great for the three main bosses as long as you can keep your floors stocked with charged echoes.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 10, 2021

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

All the egg cards are very good, except the alt champion. Any changes you make to the egg is carried over to whatever hatches out of it. That includes upgrades, combinations (the new shove a creature into another creature mechanic) and statistical buffs in a level (hp/atk) but not status effects like stealth, rage, or sap.

The alt champion can't use unit upgrades or combinations, so it's trash. If you want to faceroll, do a run with the +5/10/20 atk per echo primary champion and a multiattack version of the egg that spits out two bog flies. Then duplicate the egg if you can. 4 flies with multiattack and hundreds of extra attack from the champion will annihilate anything.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I forget how I got it, but there's a way to give Strike: Melee Weakness 1 to your troops now. That was fun to put on a multi-attacker.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

SiKboy posted:

Would still mean the second (and subsequent) hits are doing double damage, and the last hit leaves it still with a melee weakness (assuming it didnt die). I see the use case. Would also be good on a sweeper, but depending on your faction multi-hit can be easier to get than sweep.

Yes, this. I wasn't playing Awoken or Stygian, so I didn't really have easy access to a sweepers. And yes, the first hit makes the second hit deal double, and the second hit makes the follow-up attack from the next troop deal double damage.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Patient is easily the hardest variant of Seraph IMO, so don't feel bad about having a hard time with him.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I struggle to come up with a reliable Wurmkin deck against the final boss that doesn't include one of those eggs that hatches into two flies along with the champion that gives everything +20 attack per shard thingy. On the other hand, that build is really, really consistent, even more so if you can get quick + multiattack on the egg.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Definitely don't go mega-greed on the shards. Aim for 100, maybe 120 at the most. Personally, I take every gold pile and artifact I see, ignore 80% of the spell enchants (most of them aren't worth the cost IMO, at least in a deck that doesn't focus on spells), and only fuse one or two creatures per run.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

GodFish posted:

Does anyone have any tips for Wurmkin Primary/Stygian Guard secondary (standard clans) on CR25 vs Last Divinity? Even when I get ridiculous builds that sweep through Seraph I can't seem to get a setup that lasts vs the LD.

Take the champion that gives +attack per ember resource thing in the room, get a Bogfly Egg, graft one of the Sirens onto the egg, get Multistrike on the egg, win. Might get dicey against Seraph the Patient because he might kill your champion, but if you know you have Patient coming up you can expand the size of your rooms and put a shark in front.

That's not the only way to win with Wurmkin/Stygian, but it's a pretty easy one if you're just looking to get the combination checked off.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

Dont bother with anything unless it lets you target. Freeze, sting, imp that does 10 to front all garbage. Just have something that lets you hit past the dumb idiot blockers and you win.

At Cov 4 now and I uninstalled. It's fun and pretty and the turn to turn tactics are nice but the overall strategy is so dead simple compared to StS

This is absolutely not true at higher Covenant and Shard levels. If you ignore the big guys in front they will absolutely murder your Pyre.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

As an example, you can get enemies with 10 attack, 290 health, and regen 20. One of those will deal 110 damage to your Pyre all by itself if it gets there at full health. And they frequently either come in pairs or have other beefy guys blocking for them.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

GodFish posted:

How do you make Solgard not be complete garbage, I don't get it. He seems like either
A: a beefy guy who takes way too long to power up
B: a single strong hit that you can't really modify (why doesn't the damage spill over??)
C: a frostbite shark you can't put endless on

The frostbite build used to be super strong until the expansion. Between enemies hitting way harder in the late stages and the final boss being immune, he's probably the worst champion now.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

SettingSun posted:

Anyone have some tips on how to play Hellhorned primary? It's probably the one clan I don't 'get' yet and I'm itching to get at least a covenant 1 win with them.

Obviously, there are several winning strategies, but the simplest is to get Endless on a rage imp (or be playing Hellhorned/Wax alternate and just reform it every turn) and combine it with multiattack units. This works better with the original Hellhorned champion because you can use Scorches to pick off the imp so you draw it again on your next turn and one of the upgrade paths for the champion gives multiattack.

From there, you can scale it up in various ways. Assuming you have the expansion, jamming a rage imp onto an armor imp or vice versa (it does actually matter since the armor imp functions a little differently as a merge than it does as a base unit) is generally a good idea. Getting the various rage booster artifacts will make your path easier, as will the "rage is more powerful" demon. The +1 multiattack for demons artifact should pretty close to guarantee a win combined with an endless rage imp. Defensively, the "+5 armor to all of your creatures at end of turn" demon is quite good, although if you're relying on Scorch to kill your rage imp, it can screw things up too. The "add a random imp to your hand at the start of the turn" artifact is very good since it can give you Transcendimps (dunno about Apex Imps, never seen one), ditto with the 0-cost consume spell that adds two random imps to your hand.

When I get a good start with an imp strategy (ie, starting with two rage imps or two armor imps and, ideally, an Imp-ortant Work) I'll generally go down the multiattack line with my champion and prioritise a defensive demon to stand in front of him. Either the 30 armor/1 melee weakness on strike one or the +5 armor every turn one works fine. I'll heavily prioritize troop shops and aim for multiattack on the wall unit and endless on one of the imps. Quick or incant 2 armor are also useful on the wall, and +5 stats and burnout 1 is useful on the imp (keeps you from having to dedicate a card to killing it every turn). If I get an Imp-ortant work, I'll try to get Holdover on it, although that's less important than making my wall/imp better. I'll usually take +1 space for boss clears and aim to duplicate my wall unit on the final stage so that I can fit the champion, two multiattack walls, and the imp on the top floor. That's not usually recommended for Hellhorned because they have good access to ascend cards, but that doesn't work if you want to jam an imp into the floor every turn.

I'm far from the best Monster Train player, but I'm working my way through beating Covenant 25 Divine wins on every combination of factions and champions, and this works pretty consistently for me.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ErIog posted:

I haven't posted here, but I've played a lot of the game. I've beaten the game with all clan combos on various covenants, and am now going through Covenant 25 for each of those. For some combinations it just feels like I'm playing a slot machine because the pairing is so awful you need to get the exact right random events to unfuck the starting deck enough to even have a chance to win.

I'm currently stuck on Hellhorned with Umbra as the alt. I should probably just skip to the next one, but I'm stubborn and want to clear the one with the lowest covenant rank and then move to the next.

Yeah, I got stuck for hours and hours on Awoken prime/Umbra. That particular combo has mega anti-synergy. No amount of morsels make the original Awoken champion into a better offensive unit, but he wants to be in front for 2/3 of his builds (spikes and revenge cultivate). Furthermore, revenge cultivate will buff the morsels before the other units on the floor. And, since the champion hogs the front spot, all the Umbra units that rely on Gorge mechanics don't function with him. You can try running split floors, but I've never had much success with that in the general case. I ended up winning by playing an essentially mono-Awoken deck, up to and including purging all the starting morsel cards.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I beat Hellhorned/Melting Remnant on my first try. Those two just have amazing synergy.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The precisely one thing I dislike about the DLC is that the Divinity (the "true final boss") auto-wipes certain debuffs, namely reap and frostbite, at the end of every turn. I can understand that the nature of the boss (he's present on every floor, so you can always attack him) made stacking those a little too powerful on him, but there are better solutions than just making him more or less immune to them. If he pulled a Seraph and halved the stacks every turn, it'd be a lot more palatable. It's especially questionable because he does not cleanse Sap stacks, which is one way to trivialize him with Abyssal cards. I've had wins against the Divinity where he had like 40 stacks of Sap when I killed him.

Anyway, aside from grumbling about one optional boss making two very specific strategies mostly unviable, I love the DLC. It adds a ton of run variety.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Seedge posted:

How am I supposed to make this Martyr Stygian champion work? They seem absolutely terrible. The damage per stack happens when they would normally attack, so it's really just a different way to show their attack strength, and frost on revenge seems bad on something with no health.

The direct damage one scales pretty fast and avoids thorns, sap, and (iirc) stealth. The frostbite one gets a decent health pool for normal play but can't stand up to shard-boosted backliners, and Divinity wipes the frostbite, so, yeah, dumpster tier. Phased gets huge, but can be difficult to bring online in time for the first wave or two by the end of the game.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

GodFish posted:

The phased one also just feels too weak to put out the damage needed for TLD waves for the space he takes up too. I just don't like him.

Phased Solgard is like 210/210 and two spaces, how is he too weak? I believe that he's both the tankiest and hardest-hitting champion in the game period, let alone for his space. The Gorge version of Penumbra can get bigger if well-fed, but that takes way more time, plus he's 3 spaces.

Anyway, Abyssals are more than strong enough for you to just stick Solgard off in a corner and never unphase him if you want. He'll even distract Seraph while phased out.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Seedge posted:

You only need to feed it one morsel a turn.

No, you need to feed it one morsel per turn plus one per turn it'll be fighting the Relentless boss. It's very easy and completely catastrophic to have too few turns on your construct when the boss comes knocking, and that'll almost always end your run right there.

Seedge posted:

Steelsinger is the worst unit in the game, change my mind.

It's 3 cost, it's 4 space, and it has almost no attack unless you pump it full of every single healing spell you have in every single fight, to eventually hit the lofty goal of 100 damage, when any Gorger will hit that in every fight with minimal effort.

It's extremely good in standard Awoken because both the initial heal and the regen ticks from the default spell trigger it. It's also really good with basically any cheap holdover heal. The AOE full heal or the 1 cost, draw +1 energy +1 are favored targets. If you're playing exiled Awoken, yeah, it's a lot harder to use.

I wouldn't agree that it's flat worse than the gorgers. For one thing, there are only three gorge +stat units in the game, and the Overgorger doesn't get any defensive stats so it can be pretty fragile. Of the other two, Hunger is incredible, no question, and the other is Penumbra, who absolutely requires either the multiattack or trample-granting spells to be of any use. For another, gorge units require either another unit (which you may not see) or just as much spell attention as Steelsinger does. Aside from the Hunger, they also eat up just as much or more space on their floor thanks to the needed morsels. And then morsels are vulnerable to being swept or spiked away before they're eaten.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Seedge posted:

Little Fade is pretty much useless unless you get the "Extinguish and come back hitting harder every time", huh? The Burnout buff sounds alright until you try to keep any Burnout units alive past two rounds, and the spikes variant just seems straight up bad.

Spikes Little Fade can win a run by herself with armor or HP support. The first pretty much requires Hellhorned, but Awoken or Wurmkin can conceivably handle the latter.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Note that things like Multistrike, Endless, Trample, and armor are considered status effects, so if you can give him those effects he'll pass them on to the people who eat him (assuming you take the line that lets him pass on status effects). Normally this involves rare cards.

Doing the Expert Challenge where every troop counts as every type was super easy for me because I ran Primordium and first picked the relic that gives Stewards +5/+5, damage shield 2, and multistrike 1. Because of the "challenge", Primordium was considered a Steward (along with all my other creatures, which would have made it easy enough), so by the end of the game my frontline troop had something like Multistrike 7 a few turns in.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Bogfly Egg is in the running for strongest unit in the game IMO.

The hatched units keep any stat upgrades, unit essences, and shop upgrades that the egg has. That means that if you, say, give a Bogfly Egg Multistrike and Largestone from the shop and fuse a Morsel Maker into it, both hatched flies will have their base stats plus Multistrike, the stats and size from Largestone, and will grow +6/+6 every turn (in addition to all the +6/+6s the egg itself got).

For super fun times, give an Egg Endless and hatch it over and over.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The beauty of this game (as opposed to something like Slay the Spire) is there're tons of combos that feel broken right until you lose. Quick Sweep with some kind of scaling is usually pretty good, though. It's why the exiled Awoken champion is so good.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

This thread seems a bit dead, but I've been playing this game a lot lately. I think overall I like it better than Slay the Spire, at the very least I find myself more motivated to climb higher and higher in the covenant ranks. I'm up to rank 22 so far and I can certainly see myself making it to the end. Haven't even started fooling with the divinity stuff yet, though I did grab the DLC for the last clan.

I was wondering though if anyone can give me tips for a pure Imperialist or Direchannel run? Those are the only two champion upgrades I've never even managed to get to the third stage of - they just seem so bad. I know there's not really any reason to stubbornly stick with them but I wanted to get them all filled in and see how they play at the end.

The third Direchannel upgrade pretty much requires the double incant artifact, IMO. It's too slow otherwise. The bad thing about that is that it doesn't scale with incants, it's either on or off, so it also kind of wastes the artifact's potential compared to other upgrades of the same champion. If you do get that artifact, just use your champion as your blocking unit and put either a multiattack siren or a quick sweeper behind it, then concentrate on buffing up your attacker. Double incant is usually a pretty easy win even against the Divinity.

Imperialist wants Endless Imps (especially welding or fledgling imps, and of course Transcendimp, but NOT NOT NOT Apex Imp--she'll throw him too). She prefers having an artifact that either makes the imps free or gives you energy for playing one, but aside from Transcendimp you'll do fine without. She's not especially bulky, so you want to pair her with either welder imps to toughen her up or a good Quick attacker and fledgling imps to clear the wave before they can kill her. Consider grabbing defensive spells like Alloy of the Ancients, March of Shields, and Tiresome Climb and buffing them up. If you see an Inferno, grab it and reduce its cost, it's incredible at mauling dangerous waves before they can overrun you.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

That's awesome thanks! Hopefully that'll do the trick.

Another tip for anytime you play Abyssals: if you see a frostbite shark, strongly consider grabbing it and getting an Endless and some extra health on it. It's very good at being your gatekeeper on the bottom floor, wiping out nasty backline enemies before they reach your main killing floor.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Little Fade actually has two builds that can pretty much solo the game, she's easily the strongest champion. Both the Slay and Quick+Extinguish tracks can do it.

That said, my favorite champion is Enchant Quick Wyldenten. So good, makes so many risky builds infinitely less risky.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I'm not an expert on Primordius, but I know the line that carries over status effects (superfood?) is pretty great. Status effects include things like armor, multistrike, trample, etc etc in addition to barriers and rage. It's very weak in the early game, though, so you need something good in the first ring or two to carry you through the first boss.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The DLC is great, IMO. It really adds a ton of variety to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Dr_Gee posted:

i did this, got it soul'd and boosted, and cloned it twice. was laffo until the Divinity fight where it just... didn't work out so well. Was doing decent-ish damage to Divinity, but pyre got killed by the big hammer "boss" since my whole boss killing strategy was "endless frostbite tethys + frostbite sharks + 1-cost frostbite doubling spell = :lol:"

Yeah, Frostbite isn't the best against the Divinity because 1) he wipes all of his Frostbite stacks at the end of each round, and 2) all of the big enemies have hundreds of health. You do need something capable of killing a ~600 HP miniboss if you aren't just annihilating the Divinity itself before they spawn.