Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

deep dish peat moss posted:

It seems like a lot of the artifacts are basically "Makes [x] build better while ruining the run of any other build" which is getting kind of boring since there's no choice to be made.

A good example is Heartless from the crystal caves - units can't be healed but gain 10 life. This is a death sentence for any run using either Awoken or Umbra who rely on regen and lifesteal, and 10hp isn't even a worthwhile tradeoff unless you're running some kind of imp build. There's also the one that summons 4 random units from your deck to the middle floor at the start of battle - I can't imagine any build that's actually good for except for one that only has 4 units in it.

And then other artifacts are no-brainers like conserving energy between turns, or getting an extra unit upgrade slot. The artifacts with tradeoffs have tradeoffs that are way too negative, and the most powerful artifacts don't have any tradeoffs.

I can consistently get Sygian Guard up to the final fight and trounce everything before it but I can never deal enough damage to kill the last boss

Sorry, are you talking about with just the Sygian, or at high covenant? If you mean you've never actually finished a run it might be a bit early to be passing such strong judgements. For Sygians, either just spamming Frostbite or Spell weakness (or both!) can win pretty easily at least on the early levels. Remember you can be stacking effects on the boss before it fully joins the fight.

The summon 4 units to the middle floor is a pretty great artefact because it ignores capacity, for example. Put several very large units in your deck and you'll often start with a very overstacked floor of death, and you can even ascend/descend more units into it to make things even crazier, then ascend/descend enemies into the murderzone. I got this on my second run and it lead to my first win.

I haven't seen Heartless yet, but it could turn Imps or Morsel units into damage-soaks maybe? Or you could just not take it if it's really that bad. Which isn't great from a balance PoV of course, but it's not run-ending either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Darkrenown posted:

I haven't seen Heartless yet, but it could turn Imps or Morsel units into damage-soaks maybe? Or you could just not take it if it's really that bad. Which isn't great from a balance PoV of course, but it's not run-ending either.

Right after posting this I had Heartless appear in an event. I didn't take it because I'm using an Awoken Hollow tank and I wasn't sure if it prevents just regaining HP or if it flat out makes heals not work and the on heal abilities not function (anyone know?), but aside from that I actually had a good deck for it. I started with Fortify which I boosted to Doublestacked and copied 5 times for a 0 cost 10 armour card * 5, then gave one of them Holdover later. The extra HP would help units live until armoured up and then the constant armour negates the need for healing, plus I could trim out the regen cards.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Yeah, the Hellhorned champs can be a chore. I did just have a decent run combining +10 attack on slay + Multistrike 3 with a Railbeater tanking. The railbeater knocks units to the rear on attack and then the champ feasts on the squishy units to proc his on slay. Sadly I got a bit of antisynergy going with the Railhammer artefact which randomly does 5 damage to spawning units, since the support units often died to it leaving me with less Slays. I also realised after picking up a Quick card that it was a poor choice for my champ unless I could also put it on the Railbeater, since otherwise this would just lead to him attacking the tank. Popping the bosses for 3*100+ every round was nice though.

Are there spells which can give a unit Trample or Sweep? That'd be pretty good to use on a Slay champ.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 27, 2020

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

My main problem with Hellhorned (and stygian) is that they have no good way to tank or mitigate damage. Some units have decent starting health/armor, but lategame that's never enough and you need some sort of heal/lifesteal/revive/damage shield/stealth/quick if you want to keep your big unit alive and healthy until the boss shows up. The armor spells don't scale and are generally not that strong. Your best bet is getting an endless imp but that uses up an unit slot, a card draw and 1 energy every single turn. Stygian kan try to mitigate by first killing things with spells and the armor on incant unit can help a little bit.

I mean, it depends what Imp you make Endless. If you use the + 4 energy one you're still at +3 net energy. Or with any type if you can sacrifice it you have +1 net and another card, or if you can't sac it it can still take a hit for you. I like an Endless/Spikes rage Imp though, +3 rage to everyone on the floor, every turn, scales up really well. Even more so if your units have multistrike/sweep etc. And then you put Quick on a unit or two and you mitigate damage by killing everything before they can hit you :black101:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I won my second game of MT then had an unbroken string of victories until I unlocked the Umbra. Now I have lost as them 7 runs in a row :(

E: I even went back to Cov 1 after 2 losses, still couldn't win.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 4, 2020