Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Am I missing something or are the wax demons kind of terrible? The only success I've had with them was Wax/Umbra and making a really big burnout champion who just bludgeoned the first floor to death and giving him trample, which was basically just an Umbra run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I've come around to the candle crew on virtue of getting some of their unlockable cards/relics which are significantly better than their starting ones are. I still feel like the hellhorned champion is the weakest of the lot, though, needs too much support in any of the 3 modes to work consistently from turn 1.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Play whatever covenant you find fun. When I eventually finish covenant 25 stuff I'll probably play on a lower one so my starting deck isn't flooded with quite so many garbage clan cards.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

You're forgetting about the other important part about offering token, incant synergy. I've had a decent number of high covenant runs now that get carried by a multistrike Nameless Siren. Most of the discard/offering cards for the Stygians are good.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Eschatos posted:

Do you always play every single card you draw? If not, it's improved card selection for very little cost.

That's not really how that works? The card you draw with offering token is the card you would have gotten if offering token wasn't in your deck. Stygian has both incant and offering cards though, so offering token is very good.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

An important note for burnout champion is that as a champion he always shows up on turn 1, so you can consistently always have a high health unit to take hits at the start of every combat, for the wide variety of fragile backline units that exist. A similar reason why the awoken champion is consistently useful, having someone that can take hits on the first turn no matter what can be huge, depending on your draw luck.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I never would have considered using intent on death on a money angel.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

They made most of the harvest units better and then removed the only real synergy they had, which was feeding them morsels. I've actually had C25 runs that won off the back of big sludge eating morsels, but now it's even less playable somehow. I don't really like most of the nerfs, while nearly everything that got buffed needed it.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 9, 2020

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Stygian champion is very strong, but also painfully fragile. Some combination of frostbite+sweep or frostbite+cost reduction tends to work best in my experience, same with taking cards that are normally mediocre like fortify just to help keep Tethys alive. The sap totem got nerfed to ember 3 because it was quite probably the strongest card in the game, and is still extremely strong at 3, while frostbite totem got nerfed to 2 cost for reasons beyond me.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

If you know what the symbols for Daedalus/Fel mean you can tell which types they are, though that's only really useful for preempting blight Fel and taking energy.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

My main complaint with the draw champion is that it does absolutely nothing in the first fight, and on cov 25 with the trial that can sometimes literally kill you on its own, your 4 stewards aren't going to kill anything. My preference is the explosive variant, it solves an issue that awoken tends to have in that it has no good way to kill beefy enemies outside of relentless, it's got lots of sweep or spike sources and very little to kill those 190 hp gilded wings, or the emberdrain Pyrewings with their 150 hp.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 20, 2020

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

The newly buffed alpha fiend is definitely strong, but the strike effect is still additive at +5 instead of +3. It can scale fast enough to be a useful boss killer with something moderately beefy in front of it but it's still a big 2 energy 3 capacity unit that doesn't have a lot of impact for a few turns.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

GodFish posted:

Anyone have strategies for Expert Challenge Round and Round (that's the one where your units swap spots each round and spells randomly target)

I think that's one of the ones I got fed up with and just restarted until I could sketches of salvation & shadowsiege it.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

The exiled heroes all seem really good with 2 or 3 good paths each, but I'm not sure about the queen yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Always take the optional trial, especially if it's guaranteed to end your run. You should almost always take them unless it's a hard counter to your deck and will probably end your run, the extra gold and other rewards tend to be important. This does not count the fight before Seraph.