Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
Just made it to ascension 14, unlocked all the cards except what are presumably the 2nd/3rd forms of the legion of wax and some neutrals.

I have had the most success with the stygian and with a little know-how they are fairly tanky. For general purposes the titan sentry with health and endless makes for a brutal disposable tank. If you get the double incant artifact you can do some very messed up things, even winning the game with a sap based build and the sap totem.

Hellhorned has the most problems IMO as the champion requires some very specific builds to work. The armour on slay works with spikes and can produce hilarious results if you are hellhorned/awoken, but that is an awfully niche use. Multistrike is ok, but he isn't much better than an animus of will under ideal circumstances and much worse under regular circumstances after card upgrades. The attack on slay is nice but fragile and quickly gets outshined by other units. My last hellhorned run was hellhorned/umbra, and I quickly transitioned to focusing on an overgorger given the chance - the run was strong, but the champion was fodder.

I've never used the umbra architect champion as I'm not quite sure what to do with it - set up a feeding floor in which the champion is in the middle? I often run into the 7 unit limitation so it doesn't seem wise to put a unit in just for the capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Alkydere posted:

I've only played a few rounds and I can absolutely tell you Permafrost can be a straight up carry. I hosed up the fight against the unit strength draining Seraph I deserved to lose but having the Permafrost never expires artifact mixed with the card that hoovers up all Permafrost on a floor onto one guy and doubles it (i.e. onto the boss) were such a strong combo I simply could not snatch defeat from the jaws of victory no matter how hard I had screwed up.

Think you mixed up the keywords here. Frostbite is the damage over time effect. Permafrost means that a card that isn't played stays in your hand. *edit late to the point*

I once beat the seraph that halves buff/debuff stacks by having the double frostbite card on holdover. He would half his frostbite stack, I would double it. Thing is, I had a second copy of that card (without holdover sadly).

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
Tethys is great being only size 1 and providing a lot of power. She is vulnerable to sweep.

I wouldn't say the hellhorned champion is slightly worse, I'd say significantly worse. The hellhorned champion is pretty much just as fragile, takes more space, and does less without significant buffs. Tethys only need helps with spikes and sweep units. The frostbite Tethys does great single target damage, so much so that I've had boss plans for the second and third floor that were often unnecessary.

I've just hit covenant 18 and honestly I wish there was a difficulty option that made the enemies harder without flooding your deck with a stupid amount of mediocre/bad cards. The oversized deck adds an unfun RNG element were you may end up screwed with no feasible paths forward.

Also: Pyrewings are by far the worst enemy in the game.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
I've died several times to the stealth boss, but I've also died to the multistrike 4 boss about as often. My poor legion of wax.

The one thing I'm surprised people aren't calling out the difficulty of is the pyrewings (the high hp sweep-emberdrain guys). If the cards come up poorly and they get a single attack off you can quickly enter a death spiral in which you have no possible actions. They have stopped at least as many runs as those bosses for me.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

lagidnam posted:

I just had a game with the artifact that makes extinguish trigger twice. It split a Legion of Wax into 4 Twins and a Twin into 4 motes. 21 units in one card. I dropped that thing on the bottom floor and the fight was more or less over. Some of the artifacts are insanely strong.

I had the same thing recently on covenant 21. I thought the run was a sure thing. The guys with harvest:gain armour just walked past the legions of wax and killed my pyre. So it does have a weakness.

I just beat covenant 22 with 3 wickless barons, a card I've always considered weak. Sometimes what works and what doesn't isn't always straightforward.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
I don't think there is any unlimited source of draw. Most sources of +draw are for the next turn only, or only apply once per turn like winged steel. So there is a hard limit in terms of the number of cards you can play a turn.

I'm not going to try and calculate what this limit is because cards like "preserved thorns" generate cards and inflate that number.

Edit: It may be possible with offering monument and a triple cost reduced cycle of life. Offering monument is tricky as it doesn't damage itself, it reduces its max hp so you can't just heal it. Cycle of life is the only card I know of that does a 5+ health increase.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 4, 2020

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Jedit posted:

Not quite, because you will draw Imps as part of the other cards in your hand. But generally speaking you should never take Consumer unless you have Volatile Gauge or Unbroken Horn already. Same goes for Shadowsiege.

Flicker's liquor and sketches of salvation also work well with these two.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
Endless works much like holdover, the card comes back but effectively consumes one of your card draws. Votivary draws a card so it counteracts that. You really don't want endless on mediocre units, it will just clog up your hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Ranzear posted:

It might not be obvious, but the two options at the start are the same two options you get for the whole game, so lean into it.

I don't believe this is actually correct. You always get the ability to continue along the track you originally choose, but I've definitely had the option of the third champion choice I wasn't originally presented.