Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I haven't posted here, but I've played a lot of the game. I've beaten the game with all clan combos on various covenants, and am now going through Covenant 25 for each of those. For some combinations it just feels like I'm playing a slot machine because the pairing is so awful you need to get the exact right random events to unfuck the starting deck enough to even have a chance to win.

I'm currently stuck on Hellhorned with Umbra as the alt. I should probably just skip to the next one, but I'm stubborn and want to clear the one with the lowest covenant rank and then move to the next.

I understand why the game is balanced this way (balancing Covenant 25 around the weakest clan pairing would make it easier overall for the best clan pairing), but it's still somewhat annoying.

Primetime posted:

I just wish they put more effort into the animations of the units who 'shouldn't' attack. If I'm gonna go out of my way to make my big fireplace do damage, don't just have it slide across the screen and bonk into stuff

Counterpoint, it's really funny when it does that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

With the better clan combos that's true. With the ones that are bottom of the barrel it's tilted more toward being able to make it to Seraph a decent percentage of the time, but with a deck that just doesn't do enough damage.

A lot of runs also just run into boss variants that completely hard counter even a good deck that might have been able to beat Seraph.

The variance is real. This is very rare, but on a run I just had I managed to have such a poor starting deck and bad enough luck on draw that I lost the very first battle.

I've put hundreds of hours into the game. I've beaten covenant 25 with most clan combos. I know how to pilot a deck. It's so messed up. I didn't know it was possible.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Wow, next run after I posted I managed to find a way to beat it by getting a really perfect set of relics and events:

Deeplink run summary:
monstertrain://runresult/d7630f98-53c5-420a-ac8b-7cd978b7851c

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

A win’s a win and I don’t want to be too critical if you managed to pull one out but just looking at this I think you can tell why you’d be having trouble with some combos. I haven’t replayed the run so I don’t know what options were available but some observations:

You leaned into multistrike on your champ. That’s fine but the only source of rage you have is a perils of production and randomly from impsicles. You could be boosting his attack with morsels but you only have one consume plink that could possibly be generating those, and one unmodified shroud mitosis. You may not have had any holdovers for sale, idk, but putting a holdover on the perils of production ASAP is almost always a good idea, and the best idea with a 3x multistrike prince.

If you could get a holdover on the perils all the upgrades that went on that prismatic dust would be better spent on the furnace tap.

Consumer of Crowns is usually a trap but this is a pretty good deck/artifact setup to get him out at least. Still as your only banner unit and no energy upgrades you’ve got almost no chance of getting him out on your first turn. On the whole it does look like a really strong card and artifact draw but one that should be scoring in the mid 40s at least, not squeaking out a win at 28.

I think some clan combos with less than ideal draw make the last divinity unbeatable and some Seraphs you have to plan for a bit but base game I think every run should be winnable.

I'll go through these points later, but please pay attention to my artifacts. I had the enemy kill = morsels artifact generating morsels every single turn all going into my champion. Most turns I had to dump morsels on a floor to die I had so many.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

I'll preface this with an apology to everyone else for being the kind of annoying person that does this style of post, but this Tokyo Sex Whale person made me angry and this is my only recourse. A person being completely wrong, and also a smug rear end in a top hat about it just triggers something evil and depraved in me.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

You leaned into multistrike on your champ.

Yes, I did. I took rage + armor, and then plus multistrike every time after. Take a look at what Seraph I had. I leaned into multi-strike because I wanted damage scaling Seraph couldn't remove. I understand you can still do a rage build on that Seraph (and I've done it), but trying to force that to happen you need to be offered the things that give you rage and lucky enough to be able to make them overpowered. You can't just will that into existence, and most runs that try to do that steamroll all fights only to lose to Seraph.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

You could be boosting his attack with morsels but you only have one consume plink that could possibly be generating those, and one unmodified shroud mitosis.

Yes, all morsels went into my champion. I generated 2 morsels each turn, minimum, with the Shadelamp artifact. On most turns I was filling the floor with my champ to capacity with morsels thanks to plinks (most of which eventually got removed). On the final wave my champion was doing nearly 700 damage per turn, decent armor, some lifesteal, and lots of damage shields.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

You may not have had any holdovers for sale, idk, but putting a holdover on the perils of production ASAP is almost always a good idea, and the best idea with a 3x multistrike prince.

The only holdover I got offered I couldn't afford. I also only ever got offered one +10 magic power upgrade (I put it on Vent for AOE). I've done lots of builds where I've had Perils of Production on holdover. It's fine. Most of them couldn't scale fast enough because, compared to other sources of rage, 3 rage isn't really a lot. So you not only need to get holdover but you also need to get doublestack to make that worth it. You're better off just taking a better rage card and making it cheaper to play and holdover if you can. You're always guaranteed to be able to make your spells cheaper. You're never guaranteed holdover or doublestack.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

If you could get a holdover on the perils all the upgrades that went on that prismatic dust would be better spent on the furnace tap.

Furnace tap was added extremely late or I might have done something like that. Again, I only ever got offered 1 holdover I couldn't afford. I put the upgrades I did on Prismatic dust because it was my best card at the time, and the upgrades I got offered worked really well with it. I was able to keep my champ out of bad spots, and any turn I finished with any extra energy I could put some extra damage shields on Consumer of Crowns. I had enough draw to be guaranteed it would come back before final wave. This kept Consumer of Crowns alive through the Seraph fight.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Consumer of Crowns is usually a trap but this is a pretty good deck/artifact setup to get him out at least. Still as your only banner unit and no energy upgrades you’ve got almost no chance of getting him out on your first turn.

This is the first time I've ever taken Consumer of Crowns. I expected it to be a trap, but it happened to work out. Yeah, it was difficult to play Consumer of Crowns until I got Impsicle. It didn't matter. Consumer of Crowns doesn't need to be a turn 1 play. My champion was doing a fine job taking out enemies on its own, I had enough AOE spells to clear out the weaker units, and I had a lot of big direct damage between Impolate and Ember Stasis + Abandoned Stave. So I'd just wait for it to come back around. This strategy worked well for ensuring it was still alive for the boss.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

On the whole it does look like a really strong card and artifact draw but one that should be scoring in the mid 40s at least, not squeaking out a win at 28.

I don't really give a poo poo about score, but LMAO, you're welcome to try to make 40k happen on that run if you want. Considering most of your advice was telling me to go back in time to upgrade cards or buy upgrades I was never offered, though, I think you're gonna have a tough time with that one.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

...but base game I think every run should be winnable.

At covenant 25 this just isn't true. It's barely true even for the highest tier clan combos. I understand the DLC makes the game even harder, but covenant 25 in the base game is still quite difficult, often in ways that are unfair.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

A win’s a win and I don’t want to be too critical if you managed to pull one out but just looking at this I think you can tell why you’d be having trouble with some combos. I haven’t replayed the run so I don’t know what options were available but some observations:

Yeah, so, funny thing... it turned out which options were available (and when) was highly relevant! I didn't appreciate the condescending tone. You come off like a jackass. The fact that you didn't bother to see I had a relic giving me free morsels every turn and dinged me for not having enough morsel generation was really something.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 16, 2021

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Ultima66 posted:

I'll repeat the analysis I've heard about beating this game, which is that there are 3 questions you need to answer in this game: how to kill heavies, how to kill backline, and how to kill the bosses. Heavies tend to be the hardest thing to answer, and are usually only really answered by high damage multistrike units. Backline has a lot of spell answers as well as having enough multistrike, things like vapor funnel, or sweep carries.

This is true for sure, and I knew it for a long time, but where I would get hung-up is making my decks worse by taking garbage I didn't need because I didn't realize I already had those questions answered. I've become a lot choosier about everything I take now, and have mostly broken myself of the habit of buying things like low value upgrades just to buy them. I think I'll probably have less trouble with the other clan combos on covenant 25 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Acerbatus posted:

not quite 40k but I played it kinda fast and loose with seraph.

My point to Tokyo Sex Whale was that they claimed 40k was possible while advocating for things that completely couldn't work with that seed. So my point was like, "lol, you go try and do all those things you just typed while getting 40k. I'll wait." I'm happy for you that, with omniscience, you found a way to get close to 40k, but you clearly misunderstood the point I was making. I wasn't saying 40k wasn't possible. I was saying 40k wasn't possible with that advice.

Acerbatus posted:

I'm pretty sure that a significant majority of Cov25 runs are winnable, you just... Need to have a better idea of how things work which seems fine? :shrug:

This isn't true because it's just not how the game is balanced. The game is balanced such that covenant 25 is slightly difficult with even the best clan combinations. For those clan combinations a majority of runs are winnable. However, this naturally leads to the situation where certain bottom tier clan combos have a much harder time to the point where most runs are not winnable for those clan combinations.

Acerbatus posted:

If you have examples, I do love a challenge.

I mean, please prove me wrong. Go do 10 Hellhorned/Umbra allied runs and show me you won 6 of them.

Acerbatus posted:

Geeze, and you're calling him hostile? Relax.

I didn't call them hostile. I called them a smug condescending jackass, and they got a hostile response in return. That's what happens when you're smug and condescending to people.

You, on the other hand, are far less of a condescending jackass and so my response to you was less hostile. Interesting how that works!