Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Prokhor posted:

I've been playing a ton recently and as a bad mtg style timmy player, I'm here to say that stygian sucks rear end ok, you want me to hit with a baby 1/3? I DON'T THINK SO. Not in this house. In this house we hit with 350x3/5's and we like it. Keep playing until you get melting remnant and you're off to the races.

My very first Stygian run after unlocking them, I also got all the achievements for killing the bosses before the boss round actually started. Just piled up insane spell power bonuses and nuked them while they were still fluttering up and down the levels being annoying. Very satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I like getting the uber buffed morsels. The turn into a nice source of damage for one turn, as well as meat shields for your other units that you might still need to feed up before they get tanky enough to shrug off attacks. Also doesn't anything that gets killed and returned by remnant come with burnout anyway? Might as well get a buff off of their inevitable demise.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Everything seems broken until it's not. I've had seemingly invincible runs get steamrolled because something had just enough HP to get past my best unit, and the rest of the house of cards just crumbles. But trying to build for a more general deck where you spread the power out seems even less likely to win. The champion units also seem designed to get you to load all your power up on one thing, which can end you if it fails.

A lot also comes down to what kind of ability the last boss gets, which is probably why they tell you specifically at the start of the run. At least that's been toned down some since the beta demo. Used to be that when Seraph got the 'devour your spells' ability, it meant all of your spells just flat out get consume added and a spell heavy deck was empty after a few turns. Focusing your power so much and tuning your deck so specifically is an interesting departure from StS, where you want a more jack-of-all-trades deck to deal with hallway fights versus boss fights, and you don't know which last boss you're going to get until you reach the 3rd act and find out that your power stacking deck gets to deal with the awakened one. :v:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I've been avoiding the armor giving imp, because it seems kind of useless. It gives armor to the front unit, so you can either pop it in front and have it armor itself, or put it in the back to armor something else, but after that it just sits in the back row taking up space and not doing anything useful.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

My disappointment in the armor imp is probably due to me never managing to get a good imp deck together. The mana imp or the rage imp can be useful in any kind of deck, since they don't require anything but themselves to get the full effect. I've tried to get imp decks together before, but the game just refuses to give me the cards to make it work.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Gyshall posted:

Game owns. Coming from slay the spire, I'm having a little trouble evaluating how to thin my deck. I just unlocked umbra. Typically I've been removing spells unless I have enough summons to start removing the base guys.

Also any advice on clan synergies? I've just been using the next one over for each run.

I'm the same on the deck thinning. So far it hasn't seemed as important as StS though. I tend to take almost all the cards on offer and still do okay, but then again I haven't pushed the difficulty levels much, and instead have been focusing on unlocking all the clans and cards. Usually I will just use the card removal spots to kick out a few train stewards, unless I've come across that relic that gives them multistrike. Sometimes I'll also peel off the default spells, depending on the clan. Like the 2 damage fireball spell that hellhorned start with isn't worth holding on to in the later game, outside of specific builds.

For synergies, again it can depend a lot on what cards you end up with. In general, though, awoken and stygian seem pretty good, giving you damage and healing spells and lots of ways to buff them. Umbra and remnant are great together, but if you just unlocked umbra then you may still have to grind more kills before remnant is available. I'm still mostly at the experimenting to see what's good phase, though, even after I've put several dozen hours into the game between their open beta and the release.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Also the hellhorned +armor and take 5 damage card. The damage applies before the armor, making it an easy snipe for annoying low hp units in the back.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Sweep lifesteal boss is a huge pain the rear end and kills just about any remnant run that I've reached it with. Oh you have a ridiculously stacked floor of reformed units with stupidly buffed attack and hp? Cool, cool, let me just hit everyone and restore to full health every turn. But come after him with a spell focused deck and he's barely a speedbump. Balance is just all over the place. It's not that I mind having bosses that test your deck comp, but there's a difference between 'tough to beat with this deck type' and 'gg if you picked this starting clan'.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I've got to learn to stop hitting the bonus switch on 'enemies heal to full on each floor' fights. The rest of the extra challenge options are pretty reasonable, but I always seem to run into that one on the fights with the big guys with a lot of armor and like 80ish HP. Maybe those options are tied to specific enemy types, and I'm just not paying enough attention to notice it. But anyway, outside of a god tier deck, that option is rarely worth it. If it doesn't just end the run completely, at best I seem to get out of those fights with my pyre nearly dead from having to finish off a bunch of units on its own.

Also, does anyone else just instant reset if they're running Stygian and Seraph gets the spell eating buff? I'm glad that the option is there, no doubt, but that kind of feels like a bandage on top of a not-so-great design. Usually also instant reset if I don't like the champion upgrades offered at the start. Seems like that, at least, could be fixed by just having the blacksmith offer all three options for the first upgrade only.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Cuntellectual posted:

Just got gifted this, it's a ton of fun and the music is great.

There's a few things I don't like though, and if you quit during a daily you can't resume it. :negative:

I like that the current track pops up with a 'now playing' at the start of each fight. It's something I don't think I've seen other games do, and it's a great little touch.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

PMush Perfect posted:

Awoken/Hellhorned is your lowest? I've found that's one of the easiest combos in the single-digit ascensions. Just get the Spikes or Rejuvenation champion and a couple of glass cannons behind it and you're good. Plus maybe some armor for spikes and sweepers.

They might be like me, having played the hell out of hellhorned/awoken during the free beta. I had unlocked everything in the beta. I played so much I was well burned out on those two by the time release rolled around, and they're still my least played clans by a lot in the full version.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Eschatos posted:

I pretty much always drop all train wardens before getting rid of spells.

Same, unless I happen to get that relic that buffs them with multistrike. Not only are they a waste of card draw, but I always find myself playing them anyway just to get them out of my deck, and then realizing that I no longer have enough space to play good units. Having them take 2 points worth of space is what really tips them over from just being mediocre to being actively bad for your game. I've got to remove them as soon as I can so I don't mindlessly sabotage myself.

Unrelated, has anyone manged to get good use out of the railspike cave event? (The one that buffs a unit/spell but also adds purge to it) Outside of getting it right before the last fight, I can't see the point in it. The buffs aren't so great that they justify losing a card. Usually I'll throw it on a unit that I plan to purge anyway, like a train warden, so I can just get rid of them in the next fight.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Jedit posted:

This is, incidentally, why Channelsong and especially Prism Retrieval are not good cards - by the time you draw them, there's good odds that you won't have a good unit left to draw.

Huh this explains why 99% of the time I end up using channelsong on a train warden or a dreg or something. Seems like that could be an easy fix by just marking those internally as equivalent to unit cards, so you might draw it on your first turn and then be able to get a good unit out with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Carecat posted:

Wish you didn't get a miserable 10 gold for skipping a bad card roll.

Yeah, or just 25 for skipping a bad artifact. Nothing like hitting the challenge switch and barely scraping by on a tough fight, then being offered a completely worthless artifact, or 25 gold as a consolation prize.