Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Monster Train is a strategic roguelike deck building game with a twist. Set on a train to hell, you’ll use tactical decision making to defend multiple vertical battlegrounds. With real time competitive multiplayer and endless replayability, Monster Train is always on time.

I poo poo you not this is the next Slay The Spire. The trailer looked a bit mobile but I heard good things and they were accurate, this is a very polished deck builder with more of a tower defense slant than I expected.

* over 220 cards
* 5 monster clans with each very different gameplay
* Each clan has 10 levels to unlock, bringing new cards to your deck
* Upgrade your clan specific champion multiple times
* 88 artifacts
* Upgrade any card twice
* More than 21 unique random events
* 25 covenant (difficulty) levels

You have four lanes, three for combat and one for your health. Like a tower defender you need to prevent enemies getting to the top lane where your health is. Enemies usually start in the bottom lane, attack and then move up a lane if they survive until they reach the top and attack your core. As you can't play cards in the top lane you need to kill or heavily weaken enemies before they reach your core. While your core can defend itself it can't hold out for long against strong enemies or bosses.

Some enemies have skills like stealth to slip past your first lane and bosses are fond of lurking and spawning poo poo in your other lanes so a balance is required beyond trying to stuff your strongest units up front.
Similarly to slay the spire you have a choice in which direction your train goes, although this is only to side events/shops rather than encounters.

Surprisingly this also has an interesting sounding multiplayer with eight players and a time limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgPXu1Yfvig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CZLFDACF70

Carecat fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Yes I read the easiest way to win is to use the sentient due to the healing/retribution interplay and Sting letting you do way too much. With streamers playing it the devs should have a lot of balance feedback.

Emberdrain is brutal and I'm not actually sure how to beat it yet

Carecat fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 24, 2020

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Not that I've seen but you can target them with spells

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Found the daily quest, it's under multiplayer. You get updates on the simultaneous players (up to 100?) and can see their progress.

The modifiers are quite nuts, today has double status, everyone has higher stats and spells ascend enemies. Don't accidentally ascend the boss!

Died to a boss with 10 turns of stealth. I don't think there are any silences in the hellsworn/umbra decks...

Carecat fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 25, 2020

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I started with Sigiled Seaweed, 50% chance to silence enemy entering the train. It even affects bosses and their spawns and totally neuters so many enemies.

But then there is stuff like Jackstrips that does 2 damage for an enemy moving between floors, garbage. Quite a lot of artifacts that don't scale at all.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 25, 2020

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Umbra champion combo

Top row, morsel maker on the left and your champion on the right
Middle row, tank+damage to soften things up for the top row

Champion - Gorge stat boost
Fossilized Fangs - Gorge triggers a second time
Shroud Spike - Consume morsel. Trigger as if morsel was eaten X times
Furnace Tap - Apply multistrike

In later levels by the time the boss turns up your champion should be hitting for 1000-2000 damage twice per turn. Damage shield can cover for low initial health and provide some tanking as the boss appears early game.

I focused on two morsel masters on the top row as it fits into the 7 unit cap but I think that was overkill with the artifact. It turned out to have two problems
1) Dealing with 3~ units hitting the top row when the champion only hits twice even if it's doing big damage. This also means spikes trial can cause problems for your morsels.
2) 120-160hp mobs in the early waves of the final boss when you don't yet have ramped up damage.

So don't neglect your other rows

Carecat fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 27, 2020

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Coucho Marx posted:

Funny you mention that...

Started with the 'summon four random units from your deck' artifact, got one of these guys Multistrike, then hit the copy 5 cavern event, the first time I've actually used the copy five choice! I have both Ascend and Restoring Retreat, so I look forward to the eventual Sentient in front of six demons setup.

edit: of course I could never get Sentient to the front, but it never mattered anyway. Seraph (buff-removing variant) got through only one demon before he bit it.

Yeah this is a fun idea although I did it by hand rather than getting lucky with the event. They got horrifically debuffed with sap but I had some bonus super powered spikes to make up for it

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Wish you didn't get a miserable 10 gold for skipping a bad card roll.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The couple of times I've played Melting I didn't take the burnout champion, can he be reformed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
There was a dev stream and I have lazily copy pasted the Q&A notes someone made

quote:

-new mutators: At Your Service, 2 extra Train Stewards and Advanced Protoype relic; Big Chungus, all units cost +1 capacity; Fallen Champion, no champion unit; Do the Math, turns off damage previews; (unnamed), gives you a champion from one of the 3 clans not selected; "a lot more"

-balance changes will be continual, based on feedback (F8 and Discord) and tracked metrics to ID cards that need buffed/nerfed

-not sure if every cov 25 run is winnable; pretty sure every cov 1 run is winnable

-"chump block" is a term used by the dev to mean sacrificing a unit like an imp/morsel to block damage for another

-plans are made for more content. 1st major content addition in "a few weeks". No specifics.

-considering adding replays for teaching, showing off, and banning cheaters

-mentioned that clans correspond to rings of hell, and that we currently have 5 of the 9 represented- "4 more not in the game right now"

-"fallen angel" concept would be cool on top of that, but each new clan is a lot of work

-"bringing an enemy to your side" concept unconfirmed, but possibly something for a new clan

-hell rush is currently cov 1 only so as not to fragment the the playerbase

-hell rush timers will be able to be changed for custom challenges

-dailys run an algorithm to create balanced challenges; not all mutators can be pulled