Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

Spell damage builds where you stack up a murderbox with your champ + little octopus guys and a shark guard then spam attack spells on anything that enters it are pretty good but can't put out enough damage for the boss, since bosses don't give you opportunities to cast more spells after the opening. (Frostbite is really good against them though)

My first stygian win just involved stacking 40+ spell weak on seraph and then hitting him with the 60 damage hammer thing on the next floor for a one-shot.

Works ok when you have the spell weak appliers on floor 1 and then guys who boost your spell damage to actually deliver the knockout on floor 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

This game is amazing but I hope they work on champion balance. It feels bad to get Stygian main because Tethys sucks early on, and later dies to anything with sweep.

I could deal with playing with a bad champion as the cost for access to good cards, but with the secondary clan system that's not even really a thing

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

tethys is (probably) a guaranteed sweeper to start, making him stupid powerful. his low hp is the only weakness he has, unlike the hellhorned champ, who has no hp and also doesn't do any damage until he's killed like five enemies

Sweeping a bunch of little guys who are going to do chip damage to your pyre is nice, but if your run dies early it's probably because you can't kill a boss. You need some semi-tanky units fast and sometimes it's hard to find one. It makes a big difference if your champion can take a hit

I agree hellhorn guy is slightly worse fwiw

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Smiling Demon posted:

Tethys only need helps with spikes and sweep units.

ok but those are run-ending weaknesses if you hit a boss with them. the tanky champions allow you to take more challenges at every stage of the game in regular fights, and have no particular weaknesses against any bosses.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Ragnar34 posted:

Is it just me or is there no meaningful reason not to fill your deck with stings alongside whatever other strategy you've got going on?

it's usually ok but there are some downsides if you get excessive with it.

the stings lower your chance of drawing a good minion on turn one, which can be important

the other thing is consistency. if the stings are distributed badly when the deck is shuffled (say 5 of them at the very end of your draw pile) you will run into turns where you have lots of stings to play and nothing to spend ember on. then next turn you will have 10 cards but they all cost ember, so you can't play most of them.

you will definitely feel this sometimes if you run a deck with a stupid number of stings.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Transcendimp is such a fun card. Especially with Endless. Especially when you're playing the Umbra hero Architect path

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Part of it is the games are just shorter. Slay the spire has way more fights / floors so of course there's more time to let you develop slowly.

I honestly like the faster pace of this game though. One hour per run feels like a sweet spot length.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Jedit posted:

The entire Remnant clan needs a redesign. It's the best primary Clan, but by a long way the worst Allied Clan because so many of its cards lean hard into something no other clan has, wants or needs.

It's easy to say stuff like this based off some bad runs but idk, they have plenty of cards that are just straight up good. The stealth cards (Engulfed in Smoke etc) are very strong, and Mortal Entrapment is the best Daze card vs bosses. Legion of Wax and Bounty Stalker win runs all on their own.

There's good synergy with Umbra. Memento Mori / Memories of the Melted / etc. work very well since morsels die constantly. Same with the Harvest cards. Resin Removal lets you strip the Emberdrain effect from cards like Furnace tap.

The worst thing about them as a secondary class is that you have all those dregs clogging up your deck

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

ThermosAquaticus posted:

Dregs are fine as a starting clan card though - they cost 0 and effectively have consume so it's easy to thin out your deck the first time through. They don't necessarily do all that much, but no starting clan cards are exactly great.

True. I guess the issue I run into is that I sometimes max out board slots with good units, which makes the Dregs total dead draws

The other thing is you can make a spell like Torch or Restore semi-useful with a spare +damage upgrade, which is cheaper than removing it. I don't think that's really true with Dregs

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

So I get there is a hidden rule about draw order in this game but I've never seen anyone describe it clearly. Specifically it sounds like the game designates "priority units" (ones you drafted? upgraded?) and you're guaranteed to draw at least one a turn (?) until they're all gone

Does anyone know exactly how this works

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Jedit posted:

Each turn your first draw will be a Clan unit that isn't an Imp, unless you have no such units remaining in your deck. The exception is turn 1, when your first draw is your Champion and your unit is the second draw.

I believe this only happens on the first trip through your deck. If you cycle fully, the second time round your draws will be random. This is, incidentally, why Channelsong and especially Prism Retrieval are not good cards - by the time you draw them, there's good odds that you won't have a good unit left to draw.

Huh. Ok. Also sounds like it makes Consumer of Crowns worse than you'd expect, given the imp restriction

The game is clearly balanced around this feature existing, but I don't think it should be hidden from the player the way it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Jedit posted:

Not quite, because you will draw Imps as part of the other cards in your hand.

I mean, yes, but you're much more likely to draw Consumer on turn 1 or turn 2 because of this rule, which means it's a worse card than it appears, right?

It can also appear in the "normal" draw slots, so the rule causes a straight increase to its draw rate, and a decrease to the draw rate of the imps (which can only show up in the normal draws). So you are even more likely to get it in your hand before you could possibly play it