Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Squidster posted:

I'm going to vote for the comedy option, and predict that Kraft is Series' good-for-nothing son. She disowned him after he showed zero interest in magic.

there's absolutely no way Kraft isn't the oldest of the bunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Had to go back and check to see if we'd ever seen Sense's ears, since the book's kind of tight-lipped about what her whole deal is. Her dungeon duplicate definitely showed human-style ears during the fighting, though.

Still, could be other things hiding under that hair. Her manner is vaguely off-putting and the way she talks about human behavior and her tests being "kind" seems slightly detached from humanity, in the way Macht or Solitar might have observed things, if they were just a bit closer to 'getting it' about humanity.

It would be another interesting contrast between Frieren and Serie if that were the case (and I freely admit this is idle speculation). Frieren, the mage who could see a peaceful world but takes a hardline stance on demons, vs. the archmage who sees magic as a tool for will and wielded it aggressively during wartime, keeping a demon around (I would have to assume deliberately, unless Grausam-level magic was involved perhaps).

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Sense is 100 percent a human being. Series weakspot is clearly weird people who do magic well.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Had to go back and check to see if we'd ever seen Sense's ears, since the book's kind of tight-lipped about what her whole deal is. Her dungeon duplicate definitely showed human-style ears during the fighting, though.

Still, could be other things hiding under that hair. Her manner is vaguely off-putting and the way she talks about human behavior and her tests being "kind" seems slightly detached from humanity, in the way Macht or Solitar might have observed things, if they were just a bit closer to 'getting it' about humanity.

It would be another interesting contrast between Frieren and Serie if that were the case (and I freely admit this is idle speculation). Frieren, the mage who could see a peaceful world but takes a hardline stance on demons, vs. the archmage who sees magic as a tool for will and wielded it aggressively during wartime, keeping a demon around (I would have to assume deliberately, unless Grausam-level magic was involved perhaps).

Sense has probably just Been Through Some poo poo at the hands of humans, and has some strong feelings about aggression and conflict as a result.

It's a recurring theme that's been cropping up more and more as the series progresses. While Frieren and her party members have exclusively focused on monsters and demons, with no real mention of human wars, many of the other people they've come into contact with have mentioned something about the horrors of human violence against other humans.

Wirbel talked about wars between humans being so hellish that he's been forced to kill women and children. Denken talked about even extremely powerful mages could be driven to their doom by persecution if they were unable to win the hearts of the people (something which sounds extremely relevant to the current arc, actually). And of course, the Fortified City of Weise had such a massive problem with corrupt and malicious nobles constantly engaging in murderous schemes against each other that one of those nobles actually convinced a demon to come be his personal assassin.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Fern is a war orphan.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Lt. Lizard posted:

I am 100% convinced that if Série and Kraft ever met on-screen their first reaction would be simultaneous "Oh.You." followed by icy silence.

im very curious which of them is older.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Rody One Half posted:

oh woops should have read all the posts before commenting lol

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Squidster posted:

I'm going to vote for the comedy option, and predict that Kraft is Series' good-for-nothing son. She disowned him after he showed zero interest in magic.

Look, if going for a comedy option, the best one is "He's my ex. We broke up after I had a kid that I left at an elf village that the Demon King eventually wiped out. Wonder what happened to her..." :tinfoil:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The junk collector posted:

Fern is a war orphan.

As is Stark. And Frieren herself too... maybe? Possibly? I mean we find her in a village with all the other elves dead so I'm assuming she had parents there, but maybe I'm assuming too much.

e: oh and I forgot it's at least implied Flamme was too

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 15, 2024

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

TwoPair posted:

As is Stark. And Frieren herself too... maybe? Possibly? I mean we find her in a village with all the other elves dead so I'm assuming she had parents there, but maybe I'm assuming too much.

e: oh and I forgot it's at least implied Flamme was too

Flamme, Frieren and Stark were definitively orphaned by demons which though which is contrary to the point about human wars.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Speaking of Demons I wonder what the title of the Seven Sages of Destruction actually means, cause they don’t seem to actually be innately superior to other Greater Demons.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

LostRook posted:

Flamme, Frieren and Stark were definitively orphaned by demons which though which is contrary to the point about human wars.

Yeah,

Frieren lamented that she couldn't protect her family from the demons despite being the most power wizard in her village.
Heiter lamented that he couldn't bridge the hearts and minds of people like Himmel to prevent the tragedy of war.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Speaking of Demons I wonder what the title of the Seven Sages of Destruction actually means, cause they don’t seem to actually be innately superior to other Greater Demons.

Didn't they already say what it meant? That the difference is that the magic they use is a level of complexity and powerful beyond anything normal magic should be able to touch. That is why Macht was surprised at what Frieren was able to do with Aura and flabbergasted when he saw her do the same thing to his magic.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hunt11 posted:

Didn't they already say what it meant? That the difference is that the magic they use is a level of complexity and powerful beyond anything normal magic should be able to touch. That is why Macht was surprised at what Frieren was able to do with Aura and flabbergasted when he saw her do the same thing to his magic.

No all Demon magic has been stated to be way higher level than Humanity’s magic.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wait, I always thought that Seven Sages were specifically 7 Greater Demons that actively served directly under Demon King as his generals?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lt. Lizard posted:

Wait, I always thought that Seven Sages were specifically 7 Greater Demons that actively served directly under Demon King as his generals?

Yeah but there were several other Demons who also had a general title, and Macht largely didn't actually do that even when the Demon King was alive.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rody One Half posted:

Yeah, I would be shocked if it wasn't Kraft. Of the three, he seems far and away the most serene and at peace with eternity. Frieren is still learning how to relate to people, while Serie is perpetually adopting and being disappointed by talented children who fail to live up to her stupid standards.

Kraft was just all, "time is long, yo. Let's tell stories and remember each other."

Edit: also, the part where he barely even registered the death of the Demon King since a threat that'd only been around about a thousand years didn't seem like a big deal.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 16, 2024

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, I would be shocked if it wasn't Kraft. Of the three, he seems far and away the most serene and at peace with eternity. Frieren is still learning how to relate to people, while Serie is perpetually adopting and being disappointed by talented children who fail to live up to her stupid standards.

Kraft was just all, "time is long, yo. Let's tell stories and remember each other."

Edit: also, the part where he barely even registered the death of the Demon King since a threat that'd only been around about a thousand years didn't seem like a big deal.

Just want to chime in, Serie isn't disappointed in her apprentices, she's depressive because they keep dying on her of something stupid like old age when they are at the height of their talents. She's just not really better than Frieren at actually being honest about her feelings.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That's a fair read, but I don't know if I want to give her that much credit. I think it's possible she both cares deeply for and is consistently disappointed by them because she's never willing to meet them on their level. The parent who loves her children but can't forgive then them for failing to meet her unrealistic expectations.

As with their opposing views on magic, Serie is also Frieren's foil in surrogate parenthood, and she approaches it with the same eye for ambition and achievement. It's why Frieren is both a better mage and a better mom.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

yeah serie is not just as bad but actually way worse than frieren about being honest with her feelings. especially current frieren

she's obsessed with magical power and knowledge as a measure of achievement having lived her life that way for thousands of years, so she interprets her sadness about losing those close to her through that lens. 'humans die too fast to become truly powerful,' etc.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sharkmafia posted:

yeah serie is not just as bad but actually way worse than frieren about being honest with her feelings. especially current frieren

she's obsessed with magical power and knowledge as a measure of achievement having lived her life that way for thousands of years, so she interprets her sadness about losing those close to her through that lens. 'humans die too fast to become truly powerful,' etc.

Yeah she kinda says that in that scene with Lernen when he was able to see through Frieren's mana suppression

She's actually proud Lernen has grown this much under her tutelage, but simultaneously disappointed that he's gotten this good and is close to the end. Which leads Lernen to take all this the wrong way and try to attack Frieren to make a name for himself, which is when we see (through Frieren's memories) that Serie actually does care for them, no matter what her icy exterior may otherwise say.

Honestly Serie and Frieren are far more similar than she'd like to admit. ...Which I'm sure drives her nuts

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I was rereading the chapters for the next episode and seeing the bit where Denken talks about his dead wife and the city of Weise and now I'm wondering if the anime is gonna add a tease for Macht or the Golden City in general there

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

VideoWitch posted:

I was rereading the chapters for the next episode and seeing the bit where Denken talks about his dead wife and the city of Weise and now I'm wondering if the anime is gonna add a tease for Macht or the Golden City in general there

If I had to guess I'd say yes since it's the next "big adventure" outside of episodic stuff, and while episodic stuff is a lot of people's favorite and arguably the show/manga's appeal, bigger plots/stories make for better teasers/stuff to generate hype for another anime season.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I don't think they will. El Dorado doesn't start until Chapter 81 and runs until 104. It's almost a cour's worth of episodes on it's own. But there's not quite enough chapters between the end of the series and chapter 80, so maybe they could add in the stories from the spin-off anthology the did last year and save El Dorado until after that. Otherwise we'd be waiting for it to be adapted through to 104, and that would take a lot longer to complete, and leave very little afterwards to work with.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Doodles posted:

I don't think they will. El Dorado doesn't start until Chapter 81 and runs until 104. It's almost a cour's worth of episodes on it's own. But there's not quite enough chapters between the end of the series and chapter 80, so maybe they could add in the stories from the spin-off anthology the did last year and save El Dorado until after that. Otherwise we'd be waiting for it to be adapted through to 104, and that would take a lot longer to complete, and leave very little afterwards to work with.

Not sure why you are worried about that as it is going to be a while before we get a season 2.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, I think it's pretty clear that the second season will have a bunch of wanderings and mini-arcs (like Methode + Genau vs. the Snake Demon and co.) in the first half and the second half will be exclusively El Dorado.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, I think it's pretty clear that the second season will have a bunch of wanderings and mini-arcs (like Methode + Genau vs. the Snake Demon and co.) in the first half and the second half will be exclusively El Dorado.

They might be able to fit in the time travel arc, depending on how many episodes there are.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

This season covered roughly two chapters an episode, so assuming the next season is also a 2 cour then that would put it at ending at chapter 108, the second chapter of the time travel arc. It would honestly be more likely that they'd cut it right before that arc.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The El Dorado arc makes for a natural climax in any case.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

afaik the macht stuff is the most treasured material among the general fanbase. it'll definitely make up the main focus of next ssn

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Definitely for me yeah.
Also has a really easy to hate villain in solitaire who never ever ever shuts the gently caress up

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
yeah solitar is great. i love her

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

They might be able to fit in the time travel arc, depending on how many episodes there are.

The time travel arc feels like something for an OVA

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

or, you know, season 3

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

It probably hits different because I studied biology, but that moment where Solitar intuits the concept of convergent evolution by looking at the skeletons of a whale and a fish is a pretty peak 'chill' moment in Frieren, casually revealing a depth of perception in demons that we had no idea went so far, and suggesting that the Demon King cares enough to know about such ideas. I'm curious to see what he'll end up being like.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tosk posted:

I'm curious to see what he'll end up being like.

A stain on the floor after Frieren & co were done :black101:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Tosk posted:

It probably hits different because I studied biology, but that moment where Solitar intuits the concept of convergent evolution by looking at the skeletons of a whale and a fish is a pretty peak 'chill' moment in Frieren, casually revealing a depth of perception in demons that we had no idea went so far, and suggesting that the Demon King cares enough to know about such ideas. I'm curious to see what he'll end up being like.

for sure. we know the demon king was weird as hell relative to the rest of the demons. not only was he able to control/command them for so long (including outright antagonistic underlings like macht, he was able to force them into doing what he wanted). he was also said to be interested in "coexistence" with humans, altho we know that takes on some funky definitions given macht's idea of it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tosk posted:

That kind of insight is unique to each demon and their own special curiosity and we have been shown that demons have no interest beyond their extremely myopic niche. Which mirrors how their magic works pretty well.

I dont think the mangas going to about face on the nature of all demons and weve had much too time with great demons and the seven sages for any brand new revelations to surface beyond what the king was trying to do.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 19, 2024

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Both Macht and Solitar were considered weird and deviant by demon standards and both had an interest in learning about other branches of magic as well as humanity. I think they were supposed to be fairly unique and were clearly set up as a thematic pair to explore 2 different takes on what an alien intelligence like Demons trying to understand humanity would look like. I would be surprised if we revisit the concept much outside of the demon king's plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

The junk collector posted:

Both Macht and Solitar were considered weird and deviant by demon standards and both had an interest in learning about other branches of magic as well as humanity. I think they were supposed to be fairly unique and were clearly set up as a thematic pair to explore 2 different takes on what an alien intelligence like Demons trying to understand humanity would look like. I would be surprised if we revisit the concept much outside of the demon king's plans.

do demons have a notion of social weirdness or awkwardness though

i cant recall anyone giving a poo poo that macht has weird interests and gives zero fucks about actually doing his (sort of--idk it's not like the demon king pays wages or poo poo as far as we know) job